PDA

View Full Version : The subtle power of biking DVDs

GTRMAN
4th March 2009, 13:12
I know there has been much discussion around here in the validity of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Bormans two journeys, support vehicles making it too easy etc. Personally if I had the opportunity to do the same thing I would take as much support as I could get, either way it is still an epic trip, but enough of that.

What I am interested in is the ability of documentries like this to inspire people to ride. Case in point, I have tried for years to get my better half interested in getting on the back of my bike for a bit of a longer excursion, with mixed results. However we have been watching the long way round / down over the last few weeks and she is now a complete convert :) to the point that we have just sorted out a 12 day tour of the North Island with a few mates.

So like them or hate them, these guys have done a bit to encourage people to try our passtime and that can't be bad.

Boob Johnson
4th March 2009, 14:18
Why on earth would anyone HATE them because they have a support crew?

Jealous that they can't afford such an amazing bike tour? <_<

Not real bikers because they are relying on support from a none motorcycle? That's as pathetic & small minded as those that harp on about the Harley riding accountants & dentist's not being real bikers tbh.

If you have & ride a bike, you are a biker :grouphug:

Tank
4th March 2009, 14:21
Why on earth would anyone HATE them because they have a support crew?

They DO get a lot of shit in the ADV rider forums.

But - Hey - they introduced a lot of people to Adventure riding and inspired a ton of journeys (big and small).

Big ups to the guys and if I had the chance - I would have been on one of the trips with them in a heart beat.

Hell - if it wasnt for them I'd still be on a cruiser.

Good on you GTRMAN - and I hope you enjoy your tip.