PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX-R1000 K9 reviews

MentalFacility
5th March 2009, 11:59
As all the Suzuki fans are hanging for the new K9 to arrive at the market, some reviews are only starting to come out.

So far I've been able to find 2 reviews, and surprisingly they are very similar in opinion.

First one is MCN, personally I think they are not the most credible source for motorcycle reviews, but they are recognized so here it goes.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2009/March/mar0309-suzuki-gsx-r1000-world-first-test/

The second one is by Kevin Ash, and its worth mentioning that he is quite a cheap cunt, at least that’s what they say about him in many UK magazines (Superbike etc). But he is a professional journalist, so his opinion is worth looking at.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/suzukigsxr1000_k9

In summary they both say that new K9 is a great bike, but not quite as agile or exiting as the new Blade or R1. It looks like it’s been made with race track adjustability in mind.

Mort
5th March 2009, 12:34
Thanks for that.... I'd like to ride one and see what they are like...

I've met and seen Kevin Ash ride a few times in the UK. He's a hell of a rider thats for sure.

EJT
5th March 2009, 20:56
mmm...probably not the most glowing of reviews but still a fantastic bike. The problem with Suzuki is that it reached sportsbike Nirvana with the K5 and with new emission gear adding weight to the K7 and K9 it was always going to be on the back foot.

Interesting to see the comments about low down grunt. Read an interesting article in Bike on the way manufacturers are limiting the lower gears and that how the K5 was too powerful down low to the extent that racers were having problems when lent over and getting on the throttle.

SixPackBack
5th March 2009, 21:41
mmm...probably not the most glowing of reviews but still a fantastic bike. The problem with Suzuki is that it reached sportsbike Nirvana with the K5 and with new emission gear adding weight to the K7 and K9 it was always going to be on the back foot.

Interesting to see the comments about low down grunt. Read an interesting article in Bike on the way manufacturers are limiting the lower gears and that how the K5 was too powerful down low to the extent that racers were having problems when lent over and getting on the throttle.

Problems lent over??......not sure if it was 05 or 06 but I do no know that Suzuki won Superbike with that model.

As for the K9, the very first Superbike race this year the K9 came second and third being one hell of a lot faster than the Ducati in a straight line.

Second race showed how good the Yamaha was [more accurately Ben Spies], and with Honda coming third there can be no question this is going to be a great year of racing. If Rossi was in Superbikes MotoGP would be broke within a year.

As for journalists testing bikes; to often they talk utter shite, are poorly equiped to either write about their experience or posses the skills to ride the bike in a clinical fashion. Easily 'bought' and prone to change their mind over successive years [but with the same model?]. I have learnt to ignore 90% of journalists opinions.

As for the K9; Superbikes showed last week that at least this early in the racing Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and Ducati are all winning bikes-pick your colour!

AllanB
5th March 2009, 21:57
Bah - way too much bike for me in any form!

I am surprised they retained the banana mufflers - fuggly looking beasts. And it's a huge jump to imply they are Moto GP styled!

Twin muffs allow a larger volume to be passed, but fuggly bastards.

I think it is summed up well above by Six-Pack:

Pick your colour. :clap:

MentalFacility
6th March 2009, 15:14
Problems lent over??......not sure if it was 05 or 06 but I do no know that Suzuki won Superbike with that model.

As for the K9, the very first Superbike race this year the K9 came second and third being one hell of a lot faster than the Ducati in a straight line.

Second race showed how good the Yamaha was [more accurately Ben Spies], and with Honda coming third there can be no question this is going to be a great year of racing. If Rossi was in Superbikes MotoGP would be broke within a year.

As for journalists testing bikes; to often they talk utter shite, are poorly equiped to either write about their experience or posses the skills to ride the bike in a clinical fashion. Easily 'bought' and prone to change their mind over successive years [but with the same model?]. I have learnt to ignore 90% of journalists opinions.

As for the K9; Superbikes showed last week that at least this early in the racing Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and Ducati are all winning bikes-pick your colour!

The road bike that they were reviewing has very little in common with the race machines you are mentioning in superbike and motogp. Besides we are all just normal riders, and not anywhere near the skill of the profecional riders.

What this reviews are good for, is finding a perspective of an average rider on a stock bike. From what we heard so far new GSXR isnt anything that special when it comes to that.

SixPackBack
6th March 2009, 16:39
The road bike that they were reviewing has very little in common with the race machines you are mentioning in superbike and motogp. Besides we are all just normal riders, and not anywhere near the skill of the profecional riders.

What this reviews are good for, is finding a perspective of an average rider on a stock bike. From what we heard so far new GSXR isnt anything that special when it comes to that.

Time will tell, very little testing has been completed and nearly all with vested interests.

The 08 CBR1000 was widely recognised as being another step forward in 1000cc sportsbike development [like the K5 before it] but like the K5 with potential frame issues, excessive oil issues kinda ruined the 08 CBR1000 dream!

Pay your money and take your chances, pick the bike that best suits your needs and cross your fingers substantial issues like oil usage and fragile frames don't ruin the dream.

If you have the time and patience read the 08 and 09 600 shoot out comparison on motorcycle.com. The testers do an about face on identical models, read comparatively it exposes the testers as almost incompetent and certainly two faced.

MentalFacility
6th March 2009, 18:27
Time will tell, very little testing has been completed and nearly all with vested interests.

The 08 CBR1000 was widely recognised as being another step forward in 1000cc sportsbike development [like the K5 before it] but like the K5 with potential frame issues, excessive oil issues kinda ruined the 08 CBR1000 dream!

Pay your money and take your chances, pick the bike that best suits your needs and cross your fingers substantial issues like oil usage and fragile frames don't ruin the dream.

If you have the time and patience read the 08 and 09 600 shoot out comparison on motorcycle.com. The testers do an about face on identical models, read comparatively it exposes the testers as almost incompetent and certainly two faced.

Well. opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

=cJ=
16th March 2009, 09:39
Twin muffs allow a larger volume to be passed, but fuggly bastards.

Heh, if you have a look at one in the flesh, the left hand muffler is pretty damn restricted by a squash just in front of the rear wheel, it looks like it's pretty much just there for show. :slap:

loneranger
22nd June 2009, 22:35
Heh, if you have a look at one in the flesh, the left hand muffler is pretty damn restricted by a squash just in front of the rear wheel, it looks like it's pretty much just there for show. :slap:

Dam strait, thats why they were the first to go.. Even with the pipes off but cat still on it sounded like a sewing machine.
Off with the cat, which is bloody heavy, and on with the yoshi, just like it should have.

1800 ks so far and lovin it. :lol:

(P)
24th June 2009, 15:22
The road bike that they were reviewing has very little in common with the race machines you are mentioning in superbike and motogp.

I agree.

pick the one which suits yourself, some of us are better riders than others so may suit one bike over another.

the k9 will be an awesome bikr though.

JamRoll
29th June 2009, 21:21
Dam strait, thats why they were the first to go.. Even with the pipes off but cat still on it sounded like a sewing machine.
Off with the cat, which is bloody heavy, and on with the yoshi, just like it should have.

1800 ks so far and lovin it. :lol:

Nice bike Loneranger, I rode one just like it a couple weeks ago. It feels just as fast and smooth as the new fireblade, but more solid with better instruments and switch gear. Still finding it hard to part with my K4 tho. Good choice with the yoshi, I bet sounds proper now :yes: I also like these LeoVince pipes.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2329&pictureid=27097

Swoop
30th June 2009, 09:09
Even with the pipes off but cat still on it sounded like a sewing machine.
Off with the cat, which is bloody heavy,
Did you take the cat to a scrap merchant? The titanium is worth a few dollars.