PDA

View Full Version : Runners on pushbikes

Motoracer
2nd March 2005, 09:52
To the Po-leess people out there. How much of a serious offence is it to do a runner on a push bike. If you do a runner and get caught, how much shit could you get into?

e.g. If you aren't wearing a helmet and the cops ask you to stop and you run, then get caught somehow after a bit of a chase.

Cheers!

White trash
2nd March 2005, 10:16
Loosebruce is an authority on this and all queries should be directed to him.

Him and Driftin used to go looking for checkpoints to wheelie their treadlys through at walking pace. Cool cunts :2thumbsup

Motoracer
2nd March 2005, 10:29
Loosebruce is an authority on this and all queries should be directed to him.

Him and Driftin used to go looking for checkpoints to wheelie their treadlys through at walking pace. Cool cunts :2thumbsup

Who do you think I got the idea from?! :niceone:

Wait till his arm is all better, then we'll go on some mean urban rides on the MTBs with wheelies all the way!

The question is still a non-piss take one though. I would like to know how much shit you can get into, IF you get caught.

spudchucka
2nd March 2005, 11:56
Read through the following. You will see that a bicycle is a "vehicle" and the rider of a bicycle is a "driver" in the interpretation of the Act.

Section 114 gives the power to stop vehicles and the power to arrest for non compliance with the requirements of the Act.

It would be pretty silly to end up in Court charged with failing to stop just for the sake of playing a gag on the cops

"Driver'', in relation to a vehicle, includes the rider of the motor cycle or moped or bicycle; and ``drive'' has a corresponding meaning:

"Vehicle''—

(a)Means a contrivance equipped with wheels, tracks, or revolving runners on which it moves or is moved; and

(b)Includes a hovercraft, a skateboard, in-line skates, and roller skates; but

(c)Does not include—

(i)A perambulator or pushchair:

(ii)A shopping or sporting trundler not propelled by mechanical power:

(iii)A wheelbarrow or hand-trolley:

(iv)A child's toy, including a tricycle and a bicycle, provided, in either case, no road wheel (including a tyre) has a diameter exceeding 355 mm:

(v)A pedestrian-controlled lawnmower:

(vi)A pedestrian-controlled agricultural machine not propelled by mechanical power:

(vii)An article of furniture:

(viii)An invalid wheel-chair not propelled by mechanical power:

(ix)Any other contrivance specified by the rules not to be a vehicle for the purposes of this definition:

114.Power to require driver to stop and give name and address, etc—

(1)An enforcement officer who is in uniform, or wearing a distinctive cap, hat, or helmet, with a badge of authority affixed to it, may signal or request the driver of a vehicle to stop the vehicle as soon as is practicable.

(2)An enforcement officer in a vehicle following another vehicle may, by displaying flashing blue, or blue and red, lights or sounding a siren, require the driver of the other vehicle to stop.

(3)An enforcement officer may require the driver of a vehicle that is stopped under this Act to—

(a)Remain stopped for as long as is reasonably necessary for an enforcement officer to obtain the particulars referred to in paragraph (b), or to complete the exercise of any other power conferred on an enforcement officer by this Act; and

(b)On demand by an enforcement officer,—

(i)Give his or her name and address and date of birth, or such of those particulars as the enforcement officer may specify; and

(ii)State whether or not he or she is the owner of the vehicle; and

(iii)If the driver is not the owner of the vehicle, give the name and address of the owner or such particulars within the driver's knowledge as may lead to the identification of the owner.

(4)The driver of a vehicle that is stopped under subsection (2) is not obliged to remain stopped if the vehicle with flashing lights and siren does not itself stop in the near vicinity of the place where the driver has stopped.

(5)An enforcement officer may require a driver to remain stopped on a road for as long as is reasonably necessary to enable the officer to establish the identity of the driver, but not for longer than 15 minutes if the requirement to remain stopped is made under this subsection only.

(6)An enforcement officer may arrest a person without warrant if the officer has good cause to suspect the person of having—

(a)Failed to comply with this section or a signal or request or requirement under this section; or

(b)Given false or misleading information under this section.

White trash
2nd March 2005, 11:58
There ya go young fellah! Straight from the rule book.

Traslation: Don't be a fucken egg, do as you're told.

Motoracer
2nd March 2005, 12:02
Cheers for that SC! :niceone:

That's just what I was after.

Motoracer
2nd March 2005, 12:04
Traslation: Don't be a fucken egg, do as you're told.

Says a guy doing a standup wheelie on public roads with a cover page photo on a well known mag to proove it!

Biff
2nd March 2005, 12:11
So you are allowed to do a runner on furniture!?
Cool as poo. I'm fitting my Bird's motor to my sofa this weekend. Wooohooo.

scumdog
2nd March 2005, 12:14
Oh! You WERE serious and it wasn't a PT. Sorry, would have replied had I known. (Sometimes it's hard to tell it's not a PT despite comments that it's not)

bikerboy
2nd March 2005, 16:51
Cheers for that SC! :niceone:

That's just what I was after.

Hindsight is a mavelous thing, eh, MR? :niceone:

Two Smoker
2nd March 2005, 17:20
The great thing is that bikes dont have a speed limit... So you can't be done for speeding... But who the hell is going to do you for pulling a wheelie on a MTB....

Damn i need a MTB and to be good at wheelies.... then ill be up for a blast :niceone:

erik
2nd March 2005, 20:36
The great thing is that bikes dont have a speed limit...

Are you sure? I assumed the speed limit applied to all vehicles on the road? :spudwhat:

Two Smoker
2nd March 2005, 20:54
Are you sure? I assumed the speed limit applied to all vehicles on the road? :spudwhat:

Cant quote the exact law, but thats the word from the old man...

dhunt
2nd March 2005, 21:05
The great thing is that bikes dont have a speed limit... So you can't be done for speeding... But who the hell is going to do you for pulling a wheelie on a MTB....

Damn i need a MTB and to be good at wheelies.... then ill be up for a blast :niceone:
There's a :Police: bulls that did one of cousin's mates for wheeling not that long a go. Cop saw him do the wheel but didn't get him then but saw him later on in the day and gave him a ticket. :brick: But that :Police: is very very pickey so stay away from him.

Edit: This was on a pushbike not a motorbike.

ajturbo
2nd March 2005, 21:06
ok... you ride a push bike..... you get pulled over for no helmit.(the cops seam to have forgotten around here that it is a rule... and a money grabbing charge) you are asked for name ..etc... you say Joe blogs..(or any other name and wrong address) you get off the fine...(bill sent to wrong address! )as you don't need id on the streets..YET.

my mate did it a bit differently... he told wrong name.right address...... no-one here by that name..!! sent all bills back to sender.. after 4th one we heard no more!

Two Smoker
2nd March 2005, 21:18
ok... you ride a push bike..... you get pulled over for no helmit.(the cops seam to have forgotten around here that it is a rule... and a money grabbing charge) you are asked for name ..etc... you say Joe blogs..(or any other name and wrong address) you get off the fine...(bill sent to wrong address! )as you don't need id on the streets..YET.

my mate did it a bit differently... he told wrong name.right address...... no-one here by that name..!! sent all bills back to sender.. after 4th one we heard no more!

But you dont want to get busted for doing that... as you will be arrested for giving false information regarding your address, name and DOB...

ajturbo
2nd March 2005, 21:36
But you dont want to get busted for doing that... as you will be arrested for giving false information regarding your address, name and DOB...

yes that's true..... but in welly, the cops would have to remember that it was you that they pulled up.... i don't think they would waste thier time over a
$ 35 bill..........

Mr Skid
3rd March 2005, 01:19
yes that's true..... but in welly, the cops would have to remember that it was you that they pulled up.... i don't think they would waste thier time over a
$ 35 bill..........
When I used to listen to the police channels on a scanner, the majority of radio traffic seemed to be querying the identity of a driver that had been stopped. I'd suggest that if you gave the wrong details to a officer, assuming they wouldn't check, that you'd be taking a big risk.

On the subject of 'doing the runner' on a pushbike, I accidentally did a runner once - There were three officers at the bottom of a hill, one with a laser, two giving out frequent flyer miles.

As usual when I came to a hill I'd pedal like hell to see what speed I could reach, and this was no exception.

As I rode past one of the officers, he shouted at me. As I was doing a decent pace I didn't hear what he said, and didn't think anything of it. When I reached my destination, I checked the bikes speedo, which indicated I'd reached 63km/h down the incline, and it occured to me that he was telling me to stop. Opps. Lucky he didn't get my plate eh?

I'd say pick and choose when to do a runner on a pushy. For instance, if your up around Karanghape Road in Auckland, you could ride through St Kevin's arcade, down the steps to Myers park, and you'd be down on Mayoral drive pretty quick. From there you could head further down Queen Street, or cut through the Civic car park to disappear from the central city CCTV network.

So although it's morally reprehensible behaviour, your chance of success is increased by running on downhill sections and using your bikes abilites, such as traveling off road, along walkways, up/down stairs, lane splitting etc.

But remember that most of the tickets you can get on a pushbike for anything other than doing a runner will amount to much. Yes you can get done for speeding, but I recall it's a $35 all you eat deal.

I've heard some urban legend tales about very tall geared road bikes, with favorable inclines and tail winds getting pinged on the open road, but haven't tried myself - I've only managed 75km/h on my mountain bike with stock gearing.

Motoracer
3rd March 2005, 10:39
Hindsight is a mavelous thing, eh, MR? :niceone:

Gotta be sure of what I might get myself into. :niceone:

But who the hell is going to do you for pulling a wheelie on a MTB....

I got pulled up a while back for doing a wheelie on a MTB but I didn't get any fines...

I'd say pick and choose when to do a runner on a pushy. For instance, if your up around Karanghape Road in Auckland, you could ride through St Kevin's arcade, down the steps to Myers park, and you'd be down on Mayoral drive pretty quick. From there you could head further down Queen Street, or cut through the Civic car park to disappear from the central city CCTV network.

So although it's morally reprehensible behaviour, your chance of success is increased by running on downhill sections and using your bikes abilites, such as traveling off road, along walkways, up/down stairs, lane splitting etc.

But remember that most of the tickets you can get on a pushbike for anything other than doing a runner will amount to much. Yes you can get done for speeding, but I recall it's a $35 all you eat deal.

I've heard some urban legend tales about very tall geared road bikes, with favorable inclines and tail winds getting pinged on the open road, but haven't tried myself - I've only managed 75km/h on my mountain bike with stock gearing.

Great advise but OI, can you not give out the secrets?? There are cops in here ya know? :whistle:

75km/h on 2 wheels or one? I haven't gone for a highspeed run on my MTB yet but on the back wheel I have gone about 40 and pushing for 50 down the top of Queen St. Nearly lost it big time as I got brake fade tho...

Loosebruce in the other hand has been known to overtake boyracers, buses etc etc doing 75-80 on the back wheel of a push bike!!

spudchucka
3rd March 2005, 11:56
$ 35 bill..........
Its $55 and the cop only needs good cause to suspect that a false name has been given and he / she can arrest the person.

I've seen heaps of smart arses on pushbikes go down this road, get locked up, resist arrest, get srayed, end up charged with false details, resisting arrest & assaults police.

Thats a great result for just being a wanker and given false details.

Motoracer
3rd March 2005, 12:30
In me, I have the urge to go out on the road and do what ghost rider does on my GSXR (lanspliting at 270, wheelies in the middle of the town etc etc). However I would never given in to my temtation. I don't want to hurt any inocent bistandars. With in city/residential or generally built up areas, you'll find me going at the legal speed limit on my motorbike or car etc. I'll only "open it up" on open/back roads out on the country/alpine side.

I reckon MTBs are a good way to get some cheap thrills of a similar kind with out the danger of hurting someone else in the process. I still get to show off infront of a crowed in the middle of the town by doing wheelies/stoppies etc, yet I am just on a pushbike so I won't be causeing harm to anyone else but myself if I happen to arse off. I know it's not legal and I should really wear a helmet and stay on 2 wheels but heck, if I don't atleast do some activity of this nature, I'll be going coo coo or my soul will fade away or burn out so to speak.

So I'll still do runners on my MTBs with wheelies and stoppies along the way without wearing a helmet (Daym they look dorky!!) but if I get caught, I'll accept the penalties involved with it and not get myself into more shit.

All cool! :niceone:

P.S. when me and Bruce go for a good ride next time, we'll get some piccies for you lot to enjoy!

Mr Skid
3rd March 2005, 12:55
75km/h on 2 wheels or one? I haven't gone for a highspeed run on my MTB yet but on the back wheel I have gone about 40 and pushing for 50 down the top of Queen St. Nearly lost it big time as I got brake fade tho...

Loosebruce in the other hand has been known to overtake boyracers, buses etc etc doing 75-80 on the back wheel of a push bike!!

75km/h on 2 wheels, as I'm to useless to wheelie a pushbike. That was down Motions Road, around the back of the zoo. I can't pedal much faster than 60km/h, after that I rely on steep hills for more speed.

This was before I got into motorbikes, and did that in shorts and a t-shirt. Next time I try I'll be doing it in leathers.

Queen Street and Symonds street are good fun for passing cars, and there is a certain twisty road in Grey Lynn that I used to pass cars on the brakes comming into corners.

If you get keen on the high speed stuff I'd check out what this chap did http://www.converge.org.nz/hpvcanterbury/projectpage02.html

He claims he got a 12% increase in downhill speed by fitting a fairing to his pushbike.

Motoracer
3rd March 2005, 13:09
75km/h on 2 wheels, as I'm to useless to wheelie a pushbike. That was down Motions Road, around the back of the zoo. I can't pedal much faster than 60km/h, after that I rely on steep hills for more speed.

This was before I got into motorbikes, and did that in shorts and a t-shirt. Next time I try I'll be doing it in leathers.

Queen Street and Symonds street are good fun for passing cars, and there is a certain twisty road in Grey Lynn that I used to pass cars on the brakes comming into corners.

If you get keen on the high speed stuff I'd check out what this chap did http://www.converge.org.nz/hpvcanterbury/projectpage02.html

He claims he got a 12% increase in downhill speed by fitting a fairing to his pushbike.

I don't know how it's possible really. I need to see it to belive it. I belive the bit about the fairng working like a sail with tail wind though.

ZorsT
3rd March 2005, 16:31
stay away from push-bikes, the lack of protective gear makes relatively low speed "offings" worse

:doctor:

is anyone else trying to get rid of the "chicken strips" on their pushbike? my friends are too scared to ride like I do... I need better brakes though :devil2:

NC
3rd March 2005, 16:36
Its $55 and the cop only needs good cause to suspect that a false name has been given and he / she can arrest the person.

I've seen heaps of smart arses on pushbikes go down this road, get locked up, resist arrest, get srayed, end up charged with false details, resisting arrest & assaults police.

Thats a great result for just being a wanker and given false details.
I'm not going to ask my stupid question.

Motoracer
3rd March 2005, 16:54
stay away from push-bikes, the lack of protective gear makes relatively low speed "offings" worse

:doctor:

is anyone else trying to get rid of the "chicken strips" on their pushbike? my friends are too scared to ride like I do... I need better brakes though :devil2:

Yep, tell me about it. I am barely able to walk ATM with a bit of broosing on my left arm. All from me vs a traffic light pole couple of days back. Just when it was starting to heal, I fliped a wheelie yesterday coming down a steep hill and hit the knee with the bike at the same spot. :blank: And tomorrow is practice at Pukie and racing is just on Sunday too. Yay....

Yip, I don't have chicken strips but my MTB tires are pretty flat. I wana get some Maxxis Hookworm medium slicks for urban use to get better lean angles and corner speed when I have some money tho.

Coyote
3rd March 2005, 16:58

Damn right. Car, bicycle, and no protective gear don't mix :pinch:

ZorsT
3rd March 2005, 17:11
I have been considering buying a set of leathers and use them (well, until mummy lets me get a PROPER bike) on my push bike for the way down the hill, and put 'em in my backpack for the way up.
I was putting knee sliders on, but im too scared to use them, im getting close, but road rash is bad when wearing shorts and tee-shirts, and skinny 1 and a quarter inch road tyres aren't that good

Two Smoker
3rd March 2005, 17:39
I have been considering buying a set of leathers and use them (well, until mummy lets me get a PROPER bike) on my push bike for the way down the hill, and put 'em in my backpack for the way up.

good idea, but they are bulky and hot and heavy (leathers weigh about 10kgs....)

The only person i know of really wanting to wear leathers is Loosebruce... at 100kmh..... on the back wheel.... of a MTB hehehe farken nuts....

Two Smoker
3rd March 2005, 17:55
Just an update, you can get a fine for doing a wheelie.... Riding in a dangerous manner (on a pushbike) is a $150 fine.... But most cops dont know this... Old man says they must be pretty petty for pulling you over for a wheelie unless it was seriously risking other people....

boris
3rd March 2005, 18:41
i got a fine for $75 for no helmet,my mate riding beside at the same time didn't.All i did different was ask the cop if he had stopped the kid riding on the footpath with no helmet as well.He also checked to see if my bike would come back stolen.

pritch
3rd March 2005, 18:55
Guy I know was waved down at a check point while riding his 10 speed over the limit..
He said "You must be pharking joking." and kept pedalling.
What are they going to do, take yer number plate?