PDA

View Full Version : Parts/Advice for Kawasaki Balius please!

mjrulesall
5th March 2009, 17:07
I bought a 1992 Kawasaki Balius just under a month ago and have just recently realised the value of checking history of a second hand bike thoroughly - the person who sold it to me didn't mention a million things that were coming up in terms of bike maintenance, and he also left out the fact that he did an engine swap about 10000km ago, so I have no idea what the kms of the current engine are. Anyway, the reason for this post is because I've just found out that the compression is really low in my engine, to the point that it won't start/one of the cylinders won't even register when tested.
Firstly, I wondered if anyone had a Kawasaki Balius engine for sale? I just bought one which turned out to be no good because there was carbon all around the valves etc. and oil was coming out of the exhaust ports, which the mechanic at Norjo's said meant that the o-rings around the pistons were leaking but which the fellow who sold it to me said had happened just because the bike had been lying on its front for a while.
Secondly, what is your diagnosis of the situation? The Norjo's mechanic said that it was very likely that compression was out because of carbon build-up in the valves causing them not to close properly, but it seems weird that it happened all of a sudden because as far as I could tell the bike was running reasonably well before (apart from a bit of popping from the engine when the throttle was fully opened up after warming up, I don't know the reason for that) except for earlier that night when either the spark plugs fouled up or I guess carbon stopped the valves from closing - either way after 5-10 minutes of revving the engine with the idle rate pushed up to 4000rpm it was working okay again. Later that night I dropped the bike, but it wasn't at a very high speed and I didn't collide with anything. That is when it stopped running. The mechanic said the other possibility was the valves being bent or something, but that also seems unlikely to me because a) all of them would've had to have been bent at once I would think (though maybe not because it was only one cylinder that didn't register any compression, the rest were only below 90) and b) I wouldn't have thought that the bike was dropped at a high enough speed to do internal damage to the engine.
I did also just find out that the previous owner was very rough with the bike, thrashing it everywhere, and the mysterious engine transplant could have left me with an engine which has done horrific amounts of km.
What do you think the problem is? Carbon preventing the valves from closing? Shonkered valves full stop? Or even o-rings? I don't know whether or not the mechanic repeated the compression test after putting a couple of drops of oil in the engine to test that.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I've been having a really poor run with motorcycles recently and I'm just hoping to hurry up and resolve this.

skidMark
5th March 2009, 17:15
ZXR250 engine is the same... not sure how they go in regards to bolting it...i know the internals are the same but sorry can't help in regards to mounts because the outside of the motor looks different

If you want zxr pistons and rings etc i have some... i also have a head etc etc

i have 3 motors in bits (different things broken in each) more than enough to make one good motor...

You cannot buy pistons or rings from kawasaki anymore...no stock in japan...

let me know mate. :yes: i'll hook ya up.

Taz
5th March 2009, 17:25
Hope you got it cheap. The bike is after all 17 years old. Sometimes spending a little more for a late model bike is cheaper. Good luck getting it sorted, might just be valve adjustment?

skidMark
5th March 2009, 17:34
Hope you got it cheap. The bike is after all 17 years old. Sometimes spending a little more for a late model bike is cheaper. Good luck getting it sorted, might just be valve adjustment?

Not really he wouldve paid at least 5k....

go on trademe and look at the 250 market dude.....

anyways lets not have a bitch fight and ruin his thread eh

mjrulesall
5th March 2009, 17:37
I was thinking I could get a ZXR engine but the mechanic from Norjo's went through a huge list of things which are slightly different, meaning that even though they're so similar they can't be swapped. The valve timing is different for a start I think he said, and then even the placement of things on the two engines are different apparently. Thanks anyway though.
Haha yeah I got it for what I thought was a good deal, seeing as at the time I thought I was just getting a slightly slower ZXR which was also brilliant for road trips etc. and I have receipts of fairly major work eg. the carbs being fully cleaned and tuned, forks recoated etc. Ah well.

skidMark
5th March 2009, 17:40
I was thinking I could get a ZXR engine but the mechanic from Norjo's went through a huge list of things which are slightly different, meaning that even though they're so similar they can't be swapped. The valve timing is different for a start I think he said, and then even the placement of things on the two engines are different apparently. Thanks anyway though.
Haha yeah I got it for what I thought was a good deal, seeing as at the time I thought I was just getting a slightly slower ZXR which was also brilliant for road trips etc. and I have receipts of fairly major work eg. the carbs being fully cleaned and tuned, forks recoated etc. Ah well.

As i said though dude, if you want to fix ya engine i can sling you internal bits...pistons rings etc...

find out what wrong and if those parts are interchangable i will hook ya up...

You may have thumped the cylinder and ovald it. or many other things, youve fucked something in the bin.

mjrulesall
5th March 2009, 17:46
Cool, thanks skidMark, the mechanic will be taking apart the engine to find out what the problem is next week, I'm just hoping to find out what the problem is likely to be before then. I'll ask what needs replacing when he knows and I'll let you know if he reckons he can use some parts from your ZXR engines. From what he was saying though he seemed to think that there were even subtle differences inside the engine, so I don't even know if valves from a ZXR could be used.
So you don't think it would be carbon causing the problem?
Haha luckily I got it for $2800 so I didn't spend a massive amount on it.

Taz
7th March 2009, 18:57
Haha luckily I got it for $2800 so I didn't spend a massive amount on it.

Hopefully you wont be about to either.....