PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise or cam chain rattle

Suney
2nd March 2005, 13:05
Hey guys
Been reading up on the forum and read that the kawasakis are known for their cam chain rattle. Can someone describe this sound in more depth because recently I've started noticing my bike make this constant ticking noise. It gets faster and louder as you rev it. It sounds like its coming from the top of the engine. Is this just normal noise the engine makes or is there a problem.
Sorry if this is a stupid problem, I'm just use to driving cars where all the engine noise is blocked by the firewall :D

White trash
2nd March 2005, 13:07
Could be excessive valve clearance.

Buy a GSXR and be done with it.....

ManDownUnder
2nd March 2005, 13:08
on the old GPz 550 I had it simply sounded like a loose dry chain (not squeaky/rusty chain, just that dry rattly noise).

Of course when the tensioner needed adjusting (by delicately whacking the snot out of it with the handle of a big screwdriver to give it a shake up) the whole engine sounded like a tractor.

Hope this helps?

Suney
2nd March 2005, 13:14
Doesn't really help :\

I wish I could but I'm stuck on 250cc for 2 years :spudwhat:

k14
2nd March 2005, 13:48

yeah but the reason there aren't any of those noises on them is because for there to be noises the engine has to actually be running :ar15:

Jonty
4th March 2005, 12:47
Suney,

The common niose with ZXR 250's is when you start the engine cold the noise will be like a loud ticking sound that will increase with revs and then disappear after 5 mins of warming up. As I understand it, this is the lose cam chain. Once the engine heats and expands the chain tightens. Some people think that it should be fixed by installing a manual chain tentioner, but to be honest this problem is unlikely to give you any trouble while you are on your learners. Mine has made the same noise for the year that I have had it.

However, if your noise is constant then the slack chain could cause wear on the engine casing and oil to leak out (not good), or skip a tooth (also not good). Get a mechanic to have a quick listen when you are next in the shop to see if it is in fact the cam chain or the valves as mentioned.

hope that helps