PDA

View Full Version : Where to go Trail riding Central North Island

budit
2nd March 2005, 15:16
Hi been looking around for any threads on where to ride in the Central North Island. Was looking to go up that way for a few days over the weekend and wanted to do some trail riding.

Does anyone no if there is any land available in the National Park, Taupo area that you can ride on. Happy to pay if that's what it takes. Thought maybe some of the forests would be a good place but can't find any info

F5 Dave
4th March 2005, 13:24
silverbullet.co.nz

heaps of events, this weekend just south of Otaki.

Rainbow Wizard
4th March 2005, 17:33
Hi been looking around for any threads on where to trail ride in the Central North Island. Does anyone no if there is any land available in the National Park, Taupo area that you can ride on.

42 Traverse: I'm riding it with friends on Saturday (4 to 6 hours). You can ring me on 021 963096 to find out more, but make that after 9 tonight as I won't have all the gen 'til' then. Or try someone from the 4WD clubs as I hear they've been doing some maintenanace on it recently.

Firefight
5th March 2005, 04:42
theres a place at Reparoa, just nor east of Taupo, got contact details at work, will pm you them next week, other wise keep any eye out for Power adventure rides which happen in areas all around the north Island, also once a year desert storm is well worth a look, thats held in National park-Ohakune area, a dam good ride, normally two days, great camp area, bands, and army cater the food. also I think we have a sticky thread thingy in off road section that has a few places, most further north .

F/F

F/F

budit
7th March 2005, 17:47
Hi guys thanks for the replies to date all helpful. i am heading up to Turangi area for Easter wanted to take my bike and go for a blast have a look around sort of thing.

42 Traverse sounds pretty good what is the distance and who do you have to speak to first to get authorisation. how accessable is it should you have a break down can you get a car in or anything. Suprise me that let Moto on the tracks as it is not listed on the DOC website.

Katman
16th March 2005, 20:38
If you head out along the Napier/Taupo road for about twenty five k's you get to a place called Rangitaikei. Stop at the cafe/pub on the left hand side where they keep a good eye on your car and trailer, head over the road and you'll find a massive playground. A bit of everything, forest tracks, hillclimbs, tussock areas with plenty of jumps....There's always bikes out there on the weekends so should be plenty of people to ride around with.

Jackrat
16th March 2005, 21:07
Go around the north west side of National park into Erua forest.
The old skid rds are a blast to ride.
You could get lost for a month in there an never ride the same trail twice.

Rainbow Wizard
16th March 2005, 22:09
42 Traverse sounds pretty good what is the distance and who do you have to speak to first to get authorisation. how accessable is it should you have a break down can you get a car in or anything.
You don't need to speak to anyone.
It's very accessible, but in my opinion, better from the Owhango end.
4WDs get in OK, but cars only to maybe 20% of the way and mostly from the National Park end. It's highly unlikely that you would be the only person on there if the weather's fine, but getting a ride or a tow out from a guy on a mountain bike would be a real long shot.

clint640
29th March 2005, 17:15
Yep, SF 70 out at Rangitaiki & the 42 Traverse would be the main areas on public land. There used to be some great riding out at Minginui but the forestry have shut that down apart from a couple of tracks that are on DOC land. Be aware that all these areas are used by mountainbikes & 4x4's too.
My Bro & I run the terrain park at Reporoa, there won't be any trail rides there 'til next summer - the tracks get too muddy, but it may be available to book for smaller groups.
As Dave says, silverbullet, & the noticeboard at your local bike shop - there are heaps of trailrides on all through the central nth is - they are generally the only way you will get into the plantation forests legally.

Cheers
Clint