PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Enduro Mar 15

xxblackbirdxx
8th March 2009, 15:39
Thinking of doing the enduro at riverhead on mar 15th.
A few questions though.
Are the rules for enduro different from x country?
I have done a few GNCC events, is the enduro run quite differently?
Any help and info appreciated......

vazza
8th March 2009, 19:03
Ill be there!

Heres a flyer

http://www.waitematamcc.co.nz/events2.php?recordID=149

secondfield
8th March 2009, 19:13
Yeah, definately give it a go, dont expect it to be a walk in the park though! it will be quite a tough event, you'll be on the bike for about 4 or 5 hours straight (well, with one fuel stop) .. heres the MNZ rules

http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/Chapter_14_Enduro.pdf

Go for a few runs and get into some pushups etc for upper body strength beforehand if your not into a regular fitness routine..

Ha, its funny how the poster says it for the top trailrider series but then says 'No trailriders' further down. Whats up with that?

vazza
8th March 2009, 19:24
How can there only be one fuel stop? If im riding for 5 hours straight ill probably need 5 refills.

flyingcr250
8th March 2009, 19:26
id be more than keen, but gotta save some coin for tussock buster

vazza
8th March 2009, 19:31
Geez theres alot of interesting rules, looks like you have to head front and rear lights on the bike?

MikeJ
8th March 2009, 20:43
No need for lights. You will need gas for 2 refills/top ups or more. The fuel stop is located at the start/finish where you will stop at least 4 times. Dont worry about working out how it works, the organisers will explain what to do, and even if it still doesnt make sense it will after the first 1 or 2 sections.
Just make sure you have a camelbak type water system, if its hot you will loose heaps of sweat and start to fade a lot quicker without lots of fluids.
Figure out a way to carry your timing card, first timers usually stuff it down one side of their boot if they dont have a readily accessible pocket of some kind. You need to present the card at each check so the check crew can write the time down on it.
And one last thing.....you dont start your bike at all until you actually start the event.

flyingcr250
8th March 2009, 20:52
No need for lights. You will need gas for 2 refills/top ups or more. The fuel stop is located at the start/finish where you will stop at least 4 times. Dont worry about working out how it works, the organisers will explain what to do, and even if it still doesnt make sense it will after the first 1 or 2 sections.
Just make sure you have a camelbak type water system, if its hot you will loose heaps of sweat and start to fade a lot quicker without lots of fluids.
Figure out a way to carry your timing card, first timers usually stuff it down one side of their boot if they dont have a readily accessible pocket of some kind. You need to present the card at each check so the check crew can write the time down on it.
And one last thing.....you dont start your bike at all until you actually start the event.

im gettn more and more keen :drool:

chop
9th March 2009, 07:59
DO IT!!!! Riverhead is a brilliant place

vazza
9th March 2009, 15:23
kk sorted, ill be there ;D

xxblackbirdxx
9th March 2009, 16:05
i'm in too! need to prep bike and psych myself in to doing it. A little apprehensive but really eager.:scooter:

knobby clark
9th March 2009, 20:02
Really hope to be on Chops minute- got a lot to learn off the master....
Will I need my launch control?
Should I ride experts on the XR- I'm pretty good- gave birchy a run for his money a while back.....

chop
9th March 2009, 20:12
Oh dear they all come out of the woodwork as soon as riverhead is mentioned dont they???? Didnt people stop riding xr's when my oldman chucked it in????

tommorth
9th March 2009, 22:19
thinkin this could be fun pretty keen

B0000M
10th March 2009, 07:48
Oh dear they all come out of the woodwork as soon as riverhead is mentioned dont they???? Didnt people stop riding xr's when my oldman chucked it in????

depends, was your old man friends with noah?

B0000M
10th March 2009, 07:50
i did the riverhead round of ttr a couple of years ago, was my first enduro, i had no idea how it worked, and i still had no idea how it worked half way through the day. by the end i had figured it out.

if you go there and look as lost as possible, theres plenty of people to tell you what you're meant to be doing.

biggest thing is dont go too slow or youll time out

cheese
10th March 2009, 07:59
depends, was your old man friends with noah?

LOL is that the Noah we call Noah? Or are you talking about the Ark?

B0000M
10th March 2009, 10:26
LOL is that the Noah we call Noah? Or are you talking about the Ark?

i was meaning the ark noah this time.

xxblackbirdxx
10th March 2009, 17:24
i did the riverhead round of ttr a couple of years ago, was my first enduro, i had no idea how it worked, and i still had no idea how it worked half way through the day. by the end i had figured it out.

if you go there and look as lost as possible, theres plenty of people to tell you what you're meant to be doing.

biggest thing is dont go too slow or youll time out

Do they give you a average speed or does it work like stages as in car rallying?

D dub
10th March 2009, 18:12
Really hope to be on Chops minute- got a lot to learn off the master....
Will I need my launch control?
Should I ride experts on the XR- I'm pretty good- gave birchy a run for his money a while back.....

Hey, didn't you beat BT in a terrain test once on an xr?

B0000M
10th March 2009, 18:45
Do they give you a average speed or does it work like stages as in car rallying?

cant remember sorry

chop
10th March 2009, 19:14
Yup they give you average speeds per trail section.. Its kinda like rallying the stages are call terran tests(ie TT1). i have always found it hard to explain the rules but the best way i can think of it is that theyre like a long trailride with sections that you have to sprint in.... Make sense??

vazza
10th March 2009, 19:17
So you can take it easy in some sections and ride hard in others? Do you know when to push it?

tommorth
10th March 2009, 19:20
Its in stages each test has a target time (pretty sure this time is decided by averages speed for your class) if you take longer than the time you ether lose or get points not sure which
There is a different average speed for novices, intermediates and expert classes.

Seems like one of those things that becomes really simple to understand once you have done it

vazza
10th March 2009, 19:27
Ahh I see, I sort of understand it. Cant see how you can split it into different stages. But we'll soon see!

xxblackbirdxx
10th March 2009, 19:57
Yup they give you average speeds per trail section.. Its kinda like rallying the stages are call terran tests(ie TT1). i have always found it hard to explain the rules but the best way i can think of it is that theyre like a long trailride with sections that you have to sprint in.... Make sense??
i kinda understand it now. previous rallying exp(navigator) should come in handy while figuring enduros out....hoping.
Thanks a lot though...i was under the impression that its going to be one of those mass start events.

chop
10th March 2009, 19:58
You'll trailride at a steady quickish pace till you come accross a 2 people standing in the forrest theyll stop you take down your number on palm pilot timing thing and say "when your ready" then go as fast as you can till you come accross 2 more people and they stop you take down your number on there thingy the you trail ride again at a good quick pace and have a guzzle on your camel back. once the section of trail has been completed youll come to a check( a gaggle of people) watch the numbers on the stand next to them theyll roll them over as the minute rolls around. just before your minute push your bike up to where they stop you and hand over your card for them to mark. then push your bike through the check and start it and continue on. make sense?????

xxblackbirdxx
10th March 2009, 19:59
So you can take it easy in some sections and ride hard in others? Do you know when to push it?
when iam on your tail screaming cuss words:angry2:

secondfield
11th March 2009, 09:06
If you can, have a read of Stephan Merrimans interveiw in this months DRD magazine, very informative if your interested in the NZ enduro scene...

Trail Times are very tight here in NZ (between terrain tests), so you have to be on the hop and riding at pace all the time....

chop
11th March 2009, 09:37
If you can, have a read of Stephan Merrimans interveiw in this months DRD magazine, very informative if your interested in the NZ enduro scene...

Trail Times are very tight here in NZ (between terrain tests), so you have to be on the hop and riding at pace all the time....

Also in that mag theres a great 450 motox shoot out and the kxf450 came out on top.. :niceone:

Crisis management
12th March 2009, 07:18
Good luck with the Enduro guys, I will be thinking of you as I sit on the beach drinking beer (training for the Tussock Buster). :innocent:

Seriously tho, if the course is as marked out for the last Riverhead friday ride (I was told it was being left marked out for the enduro) you will have a ball, there is a good mix of technical and slippery bits so sharpen your tyres and give it hell.

I would be there myself except I've stuffed my knee and a couple of bits of the bike......and I'm a bit slow, unfit and terrified of making a public spectacle of myself.

D dub
12th March 2009, 17:45
Good luck with the Enduro guys, I will be thinking of you as I sit on the beach drinking beer (training for the Tussock Buster). :innocent:

Seriously tho, if the course is as marked out for the last Riverhead friday ride (I was told it was being left marked out for the enduro) you will have a ball, there is a good mix of technical and slippery bits so sharpen your tyres and give it hell.

I would be there myself except I've stuffed my knee and a couple of bits of the bike......and I'm a bit slow, unfit and terrified of making a public spectacle of myself.
That was only one section of the enduro!!

knobby clark
12th March 2009, 19:10
That was only one section of the enduro!!

hey d dub- nice to catch up with you at the mermaid bar last night and, thanks for the tips on jetting the mighty xr 280- she's running sweet now.
Just took her for a fat down the north western, lookin good for sunday my man- I'll bring the bourbon and coke you bring the ice!
Shame Factory John can't be there with the 540!

takitimu
12th March 2009, 20:12
Also in that mag theres a great 450 motox shoot out and the kxf450 came out on top.. :niceone:

Recommended by some bloke who reckoned he was intermediate offroad as well, sounded a nice bike & for some reason I really want one, but my brain & everyone I know is pushing 1/4 litre so will try that next :).

P.S. I got a 130 S12 for Riverhead, mind you a new tires pretty useless if I can't get out of the carpark without falling off.

chop
13th March 2009, 07:01
yea you should prob work on that Nigel.... Hmmmm yes intermediate Mr Power is laughing his arse off at that one!!! bastard

vazza
13th March 2009, 19:28
Would it be good to have someone to help you out at pitstops etc?! Is the race in a loop or what?

takitimu
13th March 2009, 19:47
Would it be good to have someone to help you out at pitstops etc?! Is the race in a loop or what?

It's handy for someone to help, but really not necessary, with any luck you'll have 5-10 minutes ( or more ) to gas / grab a bite to eat/drink.

Depends on the enduro, but something like 2 loops you run 3 & 2 times, the trick though is that the second/third time around each loop they'll tighten the time up.

The special tests/time trials can be run blind or you get a look as part of a earlier loop & if they are in a "nice" mood they'll give you a blind one 5 minutes into the enduro.

vazza
14th March 2009, 17:48
Seu all there tomorrow, aiming to be there at 8 with blackbird.. should be a great day! Although very slippery...

vazza
15th March 2009, 16:27
Had a really great time today, unsure of my final results.. After the first lap I was coming 12th which im pretty stoked about. Ended up having troubles with my gear lever AGAIN.. so dropped back afew places haha. Waiting to see final results online.

I was the dude with the dreads and the YZ250.. Dirty as loool!

How'd everyone else go?

takitimu
15th March 2009, 19:45
Had a really great time today, unsure of my final results.. After the first lap I was coming 12th which im pretty stoked about. Ended up having troubles with my gear lever AGAIN.. so dropped back afew places haha. Waiting to see final results online.

I was the dude with the dreads and the YZ250.. Dirty as loool!

How'd everyone else go?

I came in 20 seconds late on the last stage & dropped a minute @ the end, but had the best time, was a fantastic track, ended up 10th or so Intermediate Vet's.

Had a great day Saturday @ the Sandpit to, wow has that place got good or what, some really cool tracks in there.

vazza
16th March 2009, 19:04
Sounds like hardly anyone from here did it!

tommorth
16th March 2009, 20:56
I had early day on fri so went to sandpit and spent sunday at home with the kidlywink
must be more than just you two who did it

chop
17th March 2009, 07:13
i did it too

takitimu
17th March 2009, 07:34
i did it too

Did you beat Phil Cheater in the end ?.

chop
17th March 2009, 07:52
Nah he just got me.. After spill and bending shift leaver and wasting foot i couldnt keep up a good pace due to pain and not being able to shift properly.. Bit gutted my 2nd test time was right up the top too.. 158sec or somthing

takitimu
17th March 2009, 08:02
Nah he just got me.. After spill and bending shift leaver and wasting foot i couldnt keep up a good pace due to pain and not being able to shift properly.. Bit gutted my 2nd test time was right up the top too.. 158sec or somthing

Bugger, woodhill in 2 months then for a revenge sandwich.

chop
17th March 2009, 09:01
haha for sure woodhill is my stomping ground learnt to ride there and have never lost my love for the place

vazza
17th March 2009, 18:28
haha for sure woodhill is my stomping ground learnt to ride there and have never lost my love for the place

Ditto!

Really looking forward to the woodhill event, will be sick.

Any idea if Riverhead results are up?

Keen to have a nosy

takitimu
17th March 2009, 18:41
I must confess looking forward to Taupo & Woodhill, they are both sweet rides, perfect practise tracks in the sandpit to.

Results @ http://silver-bullet.co.nz/news.php?id=4408