PDA

View Full Version : It hurts to let go

Maki
8th March 2009, 17:49
I just sold my bike, and arrangements are being made for the new owner to pick it up tomorrow. I didnīt realize how emotional I would get about all this. It really hurts to see the bike go, itīs like a friend or family member is being torn away.

Have any of you had the same feeling when saying goodbye to a much loved bike?

Trudes
8th March 2009, 17:53
I cried for days after I sold my pony and I felt a bit sad when I sold my GN. I can imagine I will be very sad to see my Pamela (bucket) leave when she finds herself a new home and I'd be sad to see my Hornet go too I think. I know it's an object not a person or a pet, but I still think you become attached to them, especially if you've put a lot of thought and love into their care (and bling), so I'm with ya!:)

quickbuck
8th March 2009, 17:54
Yep,
I was lucky though, the only bike I had to let go went to a good mate.
He looked after it for a few years, and I could let her go slowly.....

All my other bikes died :(

We are still talking motorcycles, eh?

Duke girl
8th March 2009, 17:57
It sure is an emotional time for anyone having to sell their pride and joy and muched love piece of machinary that they have had so much enjoyment on everytime they have gone out riding on it. Are you getting yourself another bike to replace that 1?.
I remember when I sold my 125 MV Augusta many years ago how terrible and miserable I felt seeing it disappear in the distance on the back of a trailer and how for years afterwards i regretted ever getting rid of it as it was in mint condition and would be no doubt worth a few dollars by now.

Maki
8th March 2009, 18:02
It sure is an emotional time for anyone having to sell their pride and joy and muched love piece of machinary that they have had so much enjoyment on everytime they have gone out riding on it. Are you getting yourself another bike to replace that 1?.
I remember when I sold my 125 MV Augusta many years ago how terrible and miserable I felt seeing it disappear in the distance on the back of a trailer and how for years afterwards i regretted ever getting rid of it as it was in mint condition and would be no doubt worth a few dollars by now.

Sure, I am getting a new one, but I really feel the loss. I hope I feel better when the new one arrives, hopefully sometime in the next few days.

Deano
8th March 2009, 18:02
I have found that going and buying a 'better' one will drastically reduce your sadness.

Maki
8th March 2009, 18:09
I have found that going and buying a 'better' one will drastically reduce your sadness.

Thanks for that.

Grizzo
8th March 2009, 18:22
Totally sympathize mate. I just recently sold my baby and I felt like I was gonna cry like a baby when they rode away on it.

Shadows
8th March 2009, 18:34
I just sold my bike, and arrangements are being made for the new owner to pick it up tomorrow. I didnīt realize how emotional I would get about all this. It really hurts to see the bike go, itīs like a friend or family member is being torn away.

I've regretted letting go of every one of them. Even the old Mountain Goat that I rescued from the landfill and resurrected for fun and games at the local park.

Maki
8th March 2009, 18:36
I am relatively new to bike ownership, I have just had a bike for one year. I would never have dreamed it was possible to get so attached to a machine. I finally understand that the bike meant a lot to me. I also understand better why bikers treat their bikes like holy cows and it is taboo for anyone to even touch the bike without their permission.

I suppose this is one of the milestones on the road to truly becoming a "biker".

Sharry
8th March 2009, 18:54
It can be hard to say good bye to the machine that you have put a lot of care into in the form of maintanence. And that has done her best to adapt to your riding style as much as you have trusted to her to respond to you.

You will build a new relationship with your next bike, it may even be a better one :niceone:

beyond
8th March 2009, 19:25
Had no problem at all as I traded it on and the latest, same model, better, brand new and black so found that quite easy and exciting :)

TLDV8
8th March 2009, 19:37
Off the top of my head i can think of 108 years of ownership for 4 bikes.
It doesn't hurt at all,i havn't sold a bike since 1993 and 1985 before that. :laugh:

Since 1977 i have sold 6 road bikes,probably should have kept the 78 CBX and 73 Bonneville but do not lose sleep over what is done.

Even my DR will come back to NZ once i have seen Australia on it.

Iggy
8th March 2009, 20:41

Get over it man, go and get yourself a Harley:whistle:

tigertim20
8th March 2009, 20:52
yeah, they become like a pet, you son realise they are more like a member of the family!! haha!

DarkLord
8th March 2009, 20:56
Yes I was devastated when I lost my first bike in a crash... it felt like losing a dear friend.

From my experience getting a new one is a bit of an alienating sensation for a while, as you kind of struggle to embrace the new bike after you've just lost one, but it will all come with time. :)

Headbanger
8th March 2009, 22:04
I'm not about to jump on this emotional bandwagon you guys are travelling on but I did put my bike up for sale a couple of months back, and then got offended when anyone tried to buy it.

Usually I destroy bikes to the point I'm glad to see the piles of shit become someone else's problem. Funny enough its only the Jap bikes I have owned that fall into that category.

Maki
9th March 2009, 06:55
I'm not about to jump on this emotional bandwagon you guys are travelling on but I did put my bike up for sale a couple of months back, and then got offended when anyone tried to buy it.

That sure sounds emotional to me ;)

MsKABC
9th March 2009, 10:07
I had a wee cry whilst at On Road NZ doing the change of ownership when we sold my gpz250. I was pregnant though, and knew I'd be getting a bigger bike one day. I was quite attached to that little bike, it was quite special to me.

Zoolander
9th March 2009, 10:14
Nah, its a bike. Enjoy it while you have it for sure, but at the end of the day its a lump of metal and plastic.

The day I stopped getting emotionally attached to my bikes was the day I realised I could have fun without worrying about every little scratch or stone chip, didn't have to clean them every 5 minutes, and could just go out and enjoy the ride.