PDA

View Full Version : Honda C50

SMOKEU
9th March 2009, 23:16
Are they a good option to use as a cheap runaround? And are they reliable and easy to get parts for?

xwhatsit
10th March 2009, 00:14
Well you're in Christchurch where there's fookin' millions of them. Why are they all in Christchurch? Looked for one in ages and had to get one shipped up in the end... all the parts seem to be there too.

They're the world's #1 bike in most senses of the world and certainly as picked on some Discovery television show. Reliable? You can't get much better. It ran and started nicely with used fish & chip oil instead of engine oil in the sump... So simple there's bugger all to go wrong. Engine seems to fail gracefully after decades of intense abuse with redlining for hours, no warm up, never an oil change (or even checking the oil level). What can go wrong? Drum brakes so no worries about hydraulics... points ignition so no blown-up CDI... leading-link forks so forget about fork seals... enclosed chain... FFS why did we go so far backwards after 1959?!?!

It is the very definition of the ideal commuter, provided you can deal with 50cc performance. And if you can't chuck a Loncin 110cc motor in, or a C90 motor...

Very easy to get parts for. They're the world's longest-running and most-sold bike model ever. Plus, it's a Honda. Still very popular in SE Asia; I got a complete set of reproduction plastics for under $150 shipped.

Dooooo it. You won't regret it. Semi-auto gearbox is the only drawback, I'd like one with a clutch.

Paulo
10th March 2009, 10:43
I did 300 km on red dirt roads through Cambodia about 6 years ago on a c50, Those things just go and go and go...... there is a reason they are EVEYWHERE in asia, they work are reliable and easy to fix.

PeteJ
10th March 2009, 12:59
I have a '61 C102, the first electric start Honda 50 stepthru. I fire it up about once a year at present. Never fails, never gums up. I did use it for commuting a few years ago. Snail-like pace, but never missed a beat.

xwhatsit
10th March 2009, 22:40
I have a '61 C102, the first electric start Honda 50 stepthru. I fire it up about once a year at present. Never fails, never gums up. I did use it for commuting a few years ago. Snail-like pace, but never missed a beat.
Blimey Pete, you've got just about every interesting motorcycle that was ever made. Teach me how!

PeteJ
11th March 2009, 08:56
Blimey Pete, you've got just about every interesting motorcycle that was ever made. Teach me how!

Well, Tom, first you graduate...then you work 100 hour weeks for 25 years, taking next to no holidays either, then you never sell a bike so as to buy another.

I have sold a lot of interesting bikes; you know, the ones with "character" and "soul" ie unreliable, uncomfortable, poor-handling PoSs.

xwhatsit
11th March 2009, 12:53
So you're saying I should sell my 250RS and my Cub then? :laugh:

PeteJ
11th March 2009, 15:29
So you're saying I should sell my 250RS and my Cub then? :laugh:

No, not at all; who wouldn't prefer a Cub to a Desmo Duck?:rolleyes:

SMOKEU
11th March 2009, 17:03
I took one out for a test ride just before and it tops out at around 32mph. Surely it should do at least 40mph?

xwhatsit
11th March 2009, 21:25
Mine was pretty ratty when I got it (engine blew smoke when started and exhaust leak -- hopefully have it sorted once I finish painting) but it will do an indicated 70kph, which is ~43mph according to Google.

Don't think the speedos are particularly accurate though.

You did use all the gears?! They rev like crazy!

SMOKEU
11th March 2009, 21:31
Yup I sure did use all the gears, seems to accelerate very slowly compared to my Melody 50cc. I might just get a SJ50QT instead, I think I'll die from boredom with a 50cc 4 stroke.

PeteJ
12th March 2009, 08:16
Mine'll still do an indicated 40+mph, but on steep hills it has to scream up in 1st gear.

I have no doubt that it does not have the arm-pulling power of a post-1980 50 scooter. Better 'n a BSA Winged Wheel, though.

foamy
26th March 2009, 19:10
I've heard that C50 parts are still available, is there a place in NZ or is it all mail order from o/seas. I need leg guards and a seat, Trademe is ok at times but I'll die of old age waiting for the right bits to come up for sale.

xwhatsit
26th March 2009, 23:00
I've heard that C50 parts are still available, is there a place in NZ or is it all mail order from o/seas. I need leg guards and a seat, Trademe is ok at times but I'll die of old age waiting for the right bits to come up for sale.
Yes indeed. You can try Econohonda, but for new stuff (aftermarket usually, but very good quality) will all be from Asia.

I went through this guy on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/VintageAvenueShop

When the exchange rate was good, I got a new legshield, new sidecovers (with the retainers), new gorgeous blue front guard, and a few other random plastic bits and bobs shipped to my door for <$NZ150. Good quality, not OEM but good fit and finish. Singapore-based.

Shame the exchange rate has turned to poo.

There's other places outside of eBay, there's one crowd in Indonesia that seems to have good prices and vast range, recommended by a few people online, if I remember the website I'll post it up here.

Bumblebeeman1150
28th March 2009, 01:15
There's other places outside of eBay, there's one crowd in Indonesia that seems to have good prices and vast range, recommended by a few people online, if I remember the website I'll post it up here.

Please do. I'm restoring a blue 1972 C50 and will need plastics, among other things. What year is your C50?

xwhatsit
28th March 2009, 07:13
I've got a C50ZZ which is early 80s. Pretty hard to tell apart from the earlier 70s ones apart from things like switchblocks and seat etc.

http://www.tenavintage.com/ is the site I was talking about. Carries C70 stuff but it's all mostly identical (especially in terms of plastics).

SARGE
28th March 2009, 07:22
i had a '64 C90 SuperCub as a kid .. rode it like i hated it ( keep in mind this was at the height of Evil Kenevil's fame).. took it out into the woods behind the farm.. was jumping ravines and cracked the frame in half.. left it lay where she broke .. as far as i know its still there under 30 years of accumulated leaves..

damn thing will probably still start

foamy
28th March 2009, 13:21
Please do. I'm restoring a blue 1972 C50 and will need plastics, among other things. What year is your C50?

Mine is a 1971, red and white. I'm about to start the resto process too and need some plastic parts also.

How do I make sure its been rego'ed as a moped? Its registered and doesn't have a warrant. Is that good enough? I went on the land transport site but couldn't find any part that explained where its class would be defined by its rego details.

Steve

xwhatsit
28th March 2009, 15:26
I just checked my rego label (it is registered as a moped), and it has a large capital `N' in the bottom right corner. I think that's what they do.

Alternatively, you could check the plate for free on www.carjam.co.nz

foamy
28th March 2009, 19:10
Yep it turns out that the 'N' is the designation, cheers.

foamy
11th April 2009, 16:49
My 1971 C50 has a problem thats becoming a real pita to solve. It will idle for two or three minutes fine and then slowly the rpms will reduce until it stalls. The idle will also alter slightly when running occasionally. I have never owned one before and so don't know too much about that whopping 5hp they possess but mine feels like it is being held back with a slight misfire under load.

I dismantled and cleaned out the carb, I have done the vacuum leak thing even making new gaskets for the carb and manifold joint. I have checked and experimented with the timing setting the points to open on, just after and before the 'F' on the cover and also checked the valve clearances. Is advancing the timing on one of these of course making the points open just before the 'F'? Also checked weird things like petrol cap breathing, fuel lines, air filter etc.

Anyway any suggestions are welcome, cheers.

geoffm
11th April 2009, 19:59
Seen the workshop manual? Tried the manual links sticky?
Try http://www.hondaheaven.org/index.php?name=Sections
C90 manual is at http://www.carlsalter.com/honda-c90-manual/

xwhatsit
11th April 2009, 23:02
It sounds just like a leak in the intake system, doesn't it! But you reckon you've taken care of that.

I read this forum (http://members3.boardhost.com/cubchat/index.html?1214443798) a lot and one thing that regularly pops up is the throttle cable linkage. It's a simple slide-pull mechanism, no rotating lever like the more modern ones, just a cable going into the top of the carb. Apparently people have awful troubles if there's even the tiniest bit of slack in the cable; the throttle slide will stick slightly which mainly causes problems at idle.

Seems a bit silly to me (and maybe you too if you've had it apart) but I'm yet to play with the carb yet. Just finishing off the paintwork then I can start bolting it together again :D

Sounds a bit too simple to be the problem but you never know.

foamy
12th April 2009, 10:17
Cheers for the ideas guys, have had a quick look at the throttle cable and action up at the grip. All greased and free as a bird. I have googled this until I know the hits off by heart, besides having the Haynes manual the C50 sites are now old friends.

I sat down and read the manual well last night and learnt something. Occasionally I have looked down and seen white smoke wisping out of the back of the generator/drive sprocket cover on the left of the motor. I thought without knowing the motors layout that this must be the clutch having a bad moment but the clutch is on the right and sealed up. I am guessing there is a ignition related short circuit or sick component somewhere. Also cruising around last night I noticed the engine steadily loses rpm and stalls during idle if the headlight is turned on. With irregular starting, misfiring and uneven idle its all hopefully going to add up when I take a look.

foamy
25th April 2009, 00:00
Is the 70cc barrel and piston a straight swap if you have a C50? Does the head or case require machining?

Thanks if you can help.

xwhatsit
25th April 2009, 01:58
I recall a discussion on this forum (http://members3.boardhost.com/cubchat/index.html?1214443798) where this was mooted. I'm pretty sure it was possible; the 50 and 70 bottom end are very similar (narrow case design, the 6V 90 was wider until it went to 12V later on and consolidated the narrow case design). The 50 and 70 also have the same stroke, just a different bore size.

Ask on that forum, there's some pretty knowledgeable people. Just make sure you tell them it's a 6V model, it seems that 90cc 12V square headlights are the most common thing over there by far.

marty
25th April 2009, 18:00
My 1971 C50 has a problem thats becoming a real pita to solve. It will idle for two or three minutes fine and then slowly the rpms will reduce until it stalls. The idle will also alter slightly when running occasionally. I have never owned one before and so don't know too much about that whopping 5hp they possess but mine feels like it is being held back with a slight misfire under load.

I dismantled and cleaned out the carb, I have done the vacuum leak thing even making new gaskets for the carb and manifold joint. I have checked and experimented with the timing setting the points to open on, just after and before the 'F' on the cover and also checked the valve clearances. Is advancing the timing on one of these of course making the points open just before the 'F'? Also checked weird things like petrol cap breathing, fuel lines, air filter etc.

mine does something similar - but instead it idles really fast, until decreasing enough to stop. doesn't do it when i'm riding or it's under load. i do about 60k a day on it too. i think it's probably spring tension on the slide - needs to be higher than it is, but i can't be bothered pulling it apart again :)

foamy
26th April 2009, 00:33
Yep, fast idle then slowly reduce in increments until stalling. Its in pieces now, got all the parts gritblasted. The rebuild has begun.

Cheers for the tip on the C70, will try there.

xwhatsit
26th April 2009, 01:58
Just bolted mine back together and took it for a ride -- going to need to touch up my fresh new paintwork as I chipped the hell out of the plastic shroud that fits underneath the handlebars (man, what a pain in the arse to route all the cables and plug the electrics in with that neat handlebar case thing).

But anyway, the idle is very flaky. Will idle very high -- rev it a bit and let go of the throttle and it'll near stall. Makes the autoclutch a bit dicky when coming to a stop.

Spring tension on the slide may be it. Going to strip the carb anyway in the near future, might look to see if I can find something beefier (or add some preload :laugh:).

klibm
18th May 2009, 16:51
Hey, dont know if this is the correct place to be doing this but does anyone know where i can source a secondhand piston for my honda c50?

marty
18th May 2009, 17:04
many moons ago one of the guys at work turned one up on the lathe. out of a piece of oak. it lasted, well, forever. only down side was that it would thermally sieze if he held it at full throttle for more than about 5 minutes - once it cooled down though it was fine.

xwhatsit
18th May 2009, 22:38
Bwahahaha! Excellent. Did it have rings?

I'd contact Econohonda first, I'm sure they'd have piston kits around. There's plenty of kits of eBay etc. too but once you factor in shipping and the dollar I'm sure Econohonda would be just as good and you'll get it sooner. Plus Malcolm's just a nice bloke.

Motu
18th May 2009, 22:47
Hey, dont know if this is the correct place to be doing this but does anyone know where i can source a secondhand piston for my honda c50?

I'll swap you for a secondhand piston for my SL70.

Rowdy2001
6th October 2009, 22:45
Hi all, can someone please let me know what year my Honda C50 is please. I have tried everywhere and no-one seems to know.
Frame number - C50YKO42118
Engine number - C50E-425440
Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers, Steve.

Bumblebeeman1150
7th October 2009, 22:54
The engine is, as far as I can tell, a mid-1967, but my table of model numbers doesn't specifically list a C50YK. I can only guess that it might be a 1969 frame, as that was the K-year; Y is not listed on the chart I have. My 1971 C50s are both Ls. Sorry I can't do better.

Bumblebeeman1150
7th October 2009, 23:06
The engine is, as far as I can tell, a mid-1967, but my table of model numbers doesn't specifically list a C50YK. I can only guess that it might be a 1969 frame, as that was the K-year; Y is not listed on the chart I have. My 1971 C50s are both Ls. Sorry I can't do better.

Rowdy2001
8th October 2009, 22:23

Thanks for that, I thought it may be a 1969 model going by appearances, but they all look very similar around that year. Slowly rebuilding it, thanks to ebay.

foamy
10th November 2009, 17:33
Can anyone recommend a place where I can get my C50 barrel bored out. The piston has picked up on it and scored the cylinder wall.