PDA

View Full Version : Biggles08 Nationals Report - Round 5 Pukekohe

Biggles08
10th March 2009, 17:12
Well those who know me also know I have very little enthusiasim for this paticular track and there are many reasons for this....regardless, I decided not to miss another chance at racing with the best of the best and boy am I glad I did!

Saturday:

Left home out west Auckland at some stupid silly hour before the sparrows had even thought about farting...off to a weekend of racing! Arrived at arround 7:20am to set up in the best spot of the track...right in front of the over bridge exit on the inside of the track. I was very keen on looking professional and tidy at this event because of the company as well as I had heard a rumour that a potential corporate sponsor was coming to watch me in action (unfortunatly due to unforseen circumstances he couldn't make it). We set up and enjoyed sitting down drinking a coffee relaxing while others arrived.

Practice 1:
My previous PB around Pukekohe was in the vicinity of 65 seconds and I wasn't really expecting to go much quicker than that. Esspecially due to the track looking fairly dodgy (damp) and my decision to remain on drys for the practice. I was geting in my headspace zone listening to Disturbed as loud as my MP3 player would go when we got the call to the dummy grid. On the bike and out I went. We got released onto the track pretty pronto and off I went...circulated a bit getting used to the track a bit then started to push a little. Finished with no real dramas and came in expecting to have lapped at around the 65 sec and was pleasently supprised to find I had got into the 64 seconds with a best lap of 64.238 which placed me in 13th position out of 18......sweeeeeet! My new PB!

Practice 2:
Much the same as practice one for me but Shane Tunnicliffe was the one who wasn't disappointing my expectations beating my best of 64.343 in this practice with a 64.141! This was his first time at Pukekohe and I had been talking to him about the track and given him some pointers on how to gain a bit more speed so I'm claiming his time here anyway ;-) hehehe.

Qualifing:

This was good fun. I felt great out on the track and was not working hard at all. I ended up qualifying in 14th place just behind Shane (63.641) with a 63.834...another new PB! :yes:

Race Day:

This was stress like I had not experienced before. Pre race I was trying to decide whether to put wets on or keep my drys on. In our 3 lap scrubb in session only three bikes went out as it was very wet. I went about putting my wets on as it appeared it was going to remain that way for my race but of course it dryed up again so I decided to put my drys back on. Then about 15 minutes before our race it poured down throwing all my plans up in the air again! All I will say is it would be great to have an experienced pit team to do all the tire changes for you so as to keep my headspace in race mode... I was greatly appreciative to those in my crew who were helping as best that they could, especially Domini who turns out to be a fast learner and now can remove/put back on my front wheel in pretty good time :-) (and she looks great in a METZELER cap too).

On to the race...I knew once again my nemisis was going to be Shane so was keen to get a good start and try to ping him off the line and work about defensive lines. We all got called out and we took off on our 2 lap scrubb in session only to be red flagged at the start while lining up on the grid. Jamie Galway unfortunately had high sided exiting Castrol toasting his bike and hurting his wrist...I can see exactly how this happened as it was very dodge at this point of the track. We went back into the pits and was called out again about 8 minutes later. Same deal, around the track for our 2 lap scrub in and I was pleased to see the track had dryed out some more and was looking pretty good. I line up and shortly later the lights start their sequence....but hang on there is still a TV crew member in the middle of the track?!?!? The lights get to about 3 and I'm thinking they are going to abort but then the camera man runs off the track....that was distracting I can tell you! Off the lights go and I'm off...I get a pretty good start and beat a couple of others to the first corner but unfortunately neither of them are Shane T...Grrrrrrrrr! I sit in behind him for the first corner and make it through Castrol having one bike overtake me through this section (not sure who...I think it was one of the front runners cause he didn't seem to hang around). I follow Shane for about 6 laps pushing up on him and once out braking him into the hairpin on the inside...In hindsight I should have made it stick but I gave him room (Cause I'm nice :love:) and he took the exit and decided I was too close so preceded to get the fuck out of there. Later in the race Phil Endean (Toast) passed me into turn 1 but I managed to get a better drive onto the back straight than him to regain my position. I tried my best to catch Shane again but I couldn't keep with him and he managed to gain about 200m throughout the race and finish in front of me. I lapped faster in this race than my previous personal best with my fastest lap being 63.744. I finished in a respectable 13th place! I was stoked with this result!

Race 2:

The start was average for me and I lost a place to Phil I think. Shane had once again taken off showing some awesome class and gaining a 62.737!!! That boy can ride!!!! I was sitting behind Toast for most (did that ryhme???) of the race and I just couldn't catch him this time. At about lap 16 I was really starting to hurt and was sure the race was about over as I had been lapped in the previous lap. I realize now it was a 20 lap race and I was lapped in the 14th lap the previous race hence making me think the race was over soon! I was struggling to keep the pace up and was noticing esspecially over the hill I was now unable to push the bike as quickly from the left hander to the right very effectively and actually got cramp in my left calf muscle going down the front straight! Fatigue was really hitting me hard and Toast seemed to be doing it easy (And now I find out he wasn't...lol). He stretched away from me and I couldn't get back in touch. Interestingly though, my fastest lap was when I was lapped by someone on another Kwaka with a Akrapovic system like mine in the 18th lap...I was side by side with him all the way down the back straight and followed him through the hairpin and over the hill pretty effectively only to loose him into turn 1...my bike is no slouch and can punch it up with the fast boys on the straights....now to my corner speed!!!! Doh!:blink:

I need to thank some people who have helped me out so much and esspecially for this meeting.

METZELER tires as always ARE THE BOMB! I can not say enough about these tires and if you haven't tried them yet go get some...they will not disappoint you! Actually, If you want to try some out for little money send me a PM cause I have a set that I used for this race day I'm selling way to cheap...they have only had one heat cycle and have heaps of tred left!

MOTOTT Track days have always supported my racing in spirit but I'm thankful for you for some tangible support this time...it really helped me to make this meeting. I will always attend as many of these track days as I possibly can as they help improve your skill level and in my experience have the best format and organised days out of the lot!

EM SERVICES TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT This is the true reason I love the motorcycling community - This guy has really supported me from the moment I met him and has given support both in a practical sense and in a emotional way. Darrin bro you are a legend and I hope to repay your kindness some day soon!

Also I would like to thank all my mates who came along on Sunday to support me. It makes a massive difference knowing your friends are there watching you...it gives you something to work hard for. I'd esspecially like to thank Domini for helping me in the pits so much and organizing somewhere for us to stay near Pukekohe with your friends....who also came along to support me! What a great house you guys have :-D

Until PMCC Round 3....Biggles08 out!:woohoo:

Danger Dave
10th March 2009, 17:29
awesome riding mate:clap: well done on the new pb:yes:

flame
10th March 2009, 17:47
Thats so AWESOME Marcus! I knew you could do well out there. Thats wicked times and placings! congrats matie, I STOKED for ya:woohoo:

kiwifruit
10th March 2009, 17:48
Well done Marcus :D

Jacko2
10th March 2009, 18:00
Great to watch Marcus. Inspirational!
Only got these photos worth putting up. Too fast for my camera to focus haha.

Oh O, won't let me attach photos.
Marcus PM me ya E-Mail and I'll send.
JACKO

paturoa
10th March 2009, 18:00
What number was your bike - I might have some photos?

paturoa
10th March 2009, 18:36
Assuming this is you .... bummer it is the only good shot and it is slightly out of focus.

PM an email addy and I'll send you the full res version if you want.

I have another but it is a crap shot with the back of the tail piece missing.

Tony.OK
10th March 2009, 18:37
Nice one bro..........:niceone:
Don't get too fast now aye:msn-wink:

saul
10th March 2009, 18:49
Nice one fella:hug: the rain when it comes and goes must be a real pain in the arse.:bash:

sinfull
10th March 2009, 18:59
Onya Bro ! Ya done well !!

sharky
10th March 2009, 19:04
Ka pai!
You looked good out there. 600SP was by far the most entertaining class of the weekend. Yeah you did look quite pro in your pit set-up/posi. I came to say G'day a few times but you were always surrounded by groupies.

svs
10th March 2009, 19:33
You're getting faster all the time marcus. I was watching your exhaust for far too long this weekend.

Shane is on my old bike (05 R6). Just goes to show you don't need to spend heaps to run at a decent pace at the nationals. It's not the bike - its the rider that counts in this game.

Toast
11th March 2009, 07:59
Fatigue was really hitting me hard and Toast seemed to be doing it easy (And now I find out he wasn't...lol).

hahaha, consider yourself hustled, bro! 3 days in the foetal position with my head being pulled back by 250kmh winds had my neck and back aching like a 70 year old labourer.

Good effort, mate. We both better lift our game or else the Tunniwha is gonna make us look pretty bad. Respect to that man, eh, he was awesome!

Hopefully catch you out there again for a good ol' dice :niceone:

Biggles08
11th March 2009, 08:02
hahaha, consider yourself hustled, bro! 3 days in the foetal position with my head being pulled back by 250kmh winds had my neck and back aching like a 70 year old labourer.

Good effort, mate. We both better lift our game or else the Tunniwha is gonna make us look pretty bad. Respect to that man, eh, he was awesome!

Hopefully catch you out there again for a good ol' dice :niceone:

Ha! What do you mean 'gunna make us?!?!' he already has bro!:chase:

Toast
11th March 2009, 08:05
Ha! What do you mean 'gunna make us?!?!' he already has bro!:chase:

Nah we can still bust out the excuse book if it happens at one meeting, but if it keeps happening... :p

NinjaBoy
11th March 2009, 10:04
well done Marcus on some great results and a great weekend ! Catch ya (or maybe not) at the next PMCC round