PDA

View Full Version : You don't know how lucky you are boy...

FROSTY
11th March 2009, 14:16
I just saw pictures of the unfortunate 600 class incident at BOTS this year.
Holey shit that was friggin horrific.
One of those one in a trillion incidents.
The guys in the middle of that ball of flame --FULL respect guys I would have been fair fillin me dacks

I do emphasise it was a one in a TRILLION kinda situation. No reflection on the race etc

Starky307
11th March 2009, 14:18
Can you post the pics you are referring to?

FROSTY
11th March 2009, 14:20
trying to ---fuggit

TK3
11th March 2009, 14:24
Yeah sure was scary to watch... but as a rider it was great to see that there were marshalls there with fire extingwishers within 7 seconds to put it out, great job AMCC and the mashalls on that corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TK3
11th March 2009, 14:26
Can you post the pics you are referring to?

Here is the link to youtube you can watch it in color!! The fire ball is about half way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvPUVkOBJM

Toast
11th March 2009, 14:32
My front wheel was within inches of the last bike to go down. My back wheel was off the ground trying to avoid it before I flicked right and escaped. My mate Glenn wasn’t so lucky and got stuck in the middle of it. He said it was pretty damn scary at the time, obviously not being able to see himself in a mirror he thought that he was totally ablaze.

Agreed - Respect to the marshals for being there so quickly.

Maha
11th March 2009, 14:37
Is that what it was...we were at the at the end of the back straight and could see the smoke from there, thought I missed a Hangi!!!

Gremlin
11th March 2009, 15:37
Yep, that could have been a lot worse...

The fire extinguishers don't last long enough for fires like that, but a marshal from the previous point saw it, and brought another extinguisher, which arrived just as the marshals finished theirs.

The small ones are quicker to carry etc, the larger ones are heavy bastards <_<

EatOrBeEaten
11th March 2009, 15:47
We were by the hairpin and saw the smoke- a real "oh christ" moment. Respect to the marshals for getting it under control so fast, and lucky everyone was ok.

Hadn't seen the pics until now- bloody hell!

erik
11th March 2009, 17:09
Was it the R6 that caused the fire?

Gremlin
11th March 2009, 18:42
depends how you look at cause...

iirc, the ducati was hit by the r6, tank was punctured. Sparks from something then set it off...

Toast
11th March 2009, 21:35

iirc, the ducati was hit by the r6, tank was punctured. Sparks from something then set it off...

Incorrect, at least from where I was sitting, 1 metre behind two Ducatis. R6 braked for carnage ahead and Ducati hit him from behind and then another Ducati hit that Ducati. 748 ended up on top of R6 and tank was punctured.

That's how I saw it anyway, and how my mate on the R6 saw it...but it all did happen rather quickly.

Gremlin
11th March 2009, 22:34
nope, I'll bow to that, I was marshalling just down the track into the tight left hander, sounds like you had a box seat for exactly what happened...

davebullet
12th March 2009, 06:47
Dumb question... do you guys bother wearing flameproof balaclavas or anything? or are race leathers, gloves etc... enough? You guys must have at least lost an eyebrow or two. Doesn't take much heat (even indirect) to singe hair.

erik
12th March 2009, 06:53
I think someone posted about tank protectors being required for late model R6's by some race organisation overseas? I can't find the post though.
The tank design makes them prone to wear through and catch fire, here's another one:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=78770

FROSTY
12th March 2009, 15:42
I think someone posted about tank protectors being required for late model R6's by some race organisation overseas? I can't find the post though.
The tank design makes them prone to wear through and catch fire, here's another one:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=78770
No mate it wasnt the R6 tank that split twas the duc TANK

The Stranger
12th March 2009, 15:56

Some of the guys in the states were saying that they have to fit tank protectors to R6s for track days or racing at many of the tracks - supposedly quite a common issue.

Gremlin
12th March 2009, 16:15
Well, the r6 wasn't the ruptured tank, it was the ducs...

We haven't had any issues with r6 tanks being ruptured on the track, and just sunday passed, an r6 (I think) highsided out of castrol, ripped the tank off and destroyed the tail section.

Picking up the tank, it had had a good knock on the right side, but fuel was only coming out of the fuel feed, nowhere else.

The Stranger
12th March 2009, 22:38
Well, the r6 wasn't the ruptured tank, it was the ducs...

We haven't had any issues with r6 tanks being ruptured on the track, and just sunday passed, an r6 (I think) highsided out of castrol, ripped the tank off and destroyed the tail section.

Picking up the tank, it had had a good knock on the right side, but fuel was only coming out of the fuel feed, nowhere else.

This one managed to spontaneously combust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQy72y6lU8&feature=related

Gremlin
13th March 2009, 00:03
Yep, saw that one Noel, erik linked to it... quite scary, but I think someone mentioned no requirements to fit tank protectors here...

Simply saying, we haven't encountered the issue here (yet)