PDA

View Full Version : Single vs double throttle cable?

R6_kid
11th March 2009, 16:50
Is there any drawback from changing a throttle cable setup from being double to a single cable only?

Wanting to tidy up the cables and wires up front on my CB650 and just wondering if there is any purpose for having two cables other than for redundancy and/or positive return of the throttle?

Ixion
11th March 2009, 17:29
None . It was a silly legislative requirement in the USA some time or other. One cable and a spring works fine.

pete376403
11th March 2009, 21:52
Not so silly - the early CB750s had a single cable and were known for the throttle sticking open. Heavy springs could be used but that made it tiring to ride. Two cables fixed both problems

xwhatsit
11th March 2009, 23:47
Not so silly - the early CB750s had a single cable and were known for the throttle sticking open.
Realistically though, what's the worst that could happen? If you have any sort of a clue, the kill switch (even the first CB750s had those) is right next to the throttle. Clutch is right by your other hand.

I'm running single cable on my little 250.

LBD
12th March 2009, 03:19
With a single cable your wrist is fighting against the spring return pressure. With dual cables the return springs are lighter requiring less effort...

jonbuoy
12th March 2009, 04:31
Realistically though, what's the worst that could happen? If you have any sort of a clue, the kill switch (even the first CB750s had those) is right next to the throttle. Clutch is right by your other hand.

I'm running single cable on my little 250.

Mid corner it might not be so easy, single carb is probably OK but four carbs is another story. I would keep the push pull system my 10 cents.

Motu
13th March 2009, 19:26
BMW went from single to twin cables,and back to single.I've always preferred twin cables,and am happy mine has twin.Junction boxes are just a pain.Push pull cables - WTF??....motorcycles are simple,why the fuck would you ever try to make them complicated?

jonbuoy
13th March 2009, 19:42
BMW went from single to twin cables,and back to twin.I've always prefered twin calbles,and am happy mine has twin.Junction boxes are just a pain.Push pull cables - WTF??....motorcycles are simple,why the fuck would you ever try to make them complicated?

As mentioned before the early CB750 carbs had push pull system on the throttle as the carbs had a lot of stiction and didn't shut completely without either a very strong return spring or a second cable to pull them shut again.

Motu
13th March 2009, 20:10
The early CB750 had slide carbs - definatley more stiction than CV carbs.I prefer one carb,one cable.One reason I don't go near multis....one CB750 was enough for me.

Ixion
13th March 2009, 20:12
I interpreted double cable as a open cable and a close cable (per carb !).It was the requirement to have a cable close that was the result of US legislation. A open cable to each carb is a GoodTHing but I don't want to see the twistgrip for a four cylinder.

elevenhundred
13th March 2009, 21:43
Slide carbs can stick open without a return cable.
Pulling in the clutch or using the kill switch isn't as good a solution as using a second cable.
One fixes the problem the other just treats the symptoms

xwhatsit
13th March 2009, 21:57
I interpreted double cable as a open cable and a close cable (per carb !).It was the requirement to have a cable close that was the result of US legislation. A open cable to each carb is a GoodTHing but I don't want to see the twistgrip for a four cylinder.
Oh right, now I've worked out what he was talking about. Junction boxes? I suppose you'd need that when your carbs are so far away from each other like on a flat two. Don't most multis just run a single linked throttle shaft between all the carbs?

ArsesexKid's CB is a four anyway. CV carbs (but it needs Keihin CRs on it).

Ixion
14th March 2009, 09:46
Oh right, now I've worked out what he was talking about. Junction boxes? I suppose you'd need that when your carbs are so far away from each other like on a flat two. Don't most multis just run a single linked throttle shaft between all the carbs?

ArsesexKid's CB is a four anyway. CV carbs (but it needs Keihin CRs on it).
Ganged carbs. All the carbs are assembled on a rail with linked throttles chokes fuel inlets etc. yeah, later ones did, but all the early fours (and triples) just had moar carbs, each with its own bits .

I guess in theory a slide carb can stick. So can a butterfly for that matter. Never had it happen m'self , in 50 odd years. Only sticky throttles I've had have been as a result of damage to the twistgrip.

An extra cable could in fact intoduce stickiness if the close cable is frayed.