PDA

View Full Version : What's unusual with this photo?

Radar
12th March 2009, 09:27
The winner gets a cold beer * :drinkup:

The judge will take creativity and :bleh: humour into account. There really is only one odd thing in the photo.

The pic was taken in Thailand two years ago. If you have similar pics from Asia, lets see them.

* Collect your prize from Radar in Masterton. :D

Mikkel
12th March 2009, 09:29
He's wearing a helmet. Looks like it might be on backwards... but still, highly unusual.

The bike actually have wing mirrors, at least they haven't lost it completely and so have stowed them for reduced wind resistance.

saltydog
12th March 2009, 09:35
Well for a start, Like Mikkel said he's wearing a helmet, albeit one of those nice plastic jobbies. His wife and kid....na they'll be right.

Secondly, he shouldnt have ventured out when there is clearly room for at least 3 more family members to come along for the ride.

Thirdly, his choice of footware......not too clever. But hey
when in Rome...

MyGSXF
12th March 2009, 09:41
There looks to be another helmet tucked down in front of the rider.. a purple one.. must be there.. "just in case there is an accident" :doh:

Switch
12th March 2009, 09:43
He just wants to stare at his man-boobies while he rides over the bumps

MSTRS
12th March 2009, 09:44
Cargo space is under-utilised?
There's a spare helmet (for important passengers) wedged in front of the seat?
The Thai writing on the sign translates to something funny (with the black 'arrowhead' pointing at the rider?
Nah...it's the mirrors. Originals got broken and he was supplied a left and right, instead of a right and left.

piston broke
12th March 2009, 09:44
i can see another couple of things,
scooter front end and bars and the morrors set up for lane splitting

ed, :Oops: i thought the purple thing was a gas tank:confused:

Finn
12th March 2009, 09:48
The only thing I see wrong with the photo is the invasion of privacy by some self indulged safety nazi while a struggling, but content family try to get on with their lives.

Am I wrong?

SpankMe
12th March 2009, 09:56
I go to Thailand often and it all looks pretty normal to me.

I'd like to see any "must wear gear" nazi try wearing full leathers in Thai heat without passing out from heat stroke.

Mikkel
12th March 2009, 09:57
Mate, this belongs in L.O.A. - purple helmet is showing. :yes:

TOTO
12th March 2009, 10:42
the mirrors are the wrong way round ...

Am I right ?

spookytooth
12th March 2009, 11:06
looks like theres a orange coloured reflector on the frount apart from that i dunno

Kflasher
12th March 2009, 11:14
Nothing at all, apart from half the family and various goods are missing.
This is pretty norm, check out this shot I took whilst in Sorowako for work.

Swoop
12th March 2009, 11:16
What's wrong with the picture?

1: They are not waving.
2: There is no sign of a poll for KB'ers to vote on.

SpankMe
12th March 2009, 11:44
I think the answer he is looking for is "everything", when actually nothing is wrong with it when a combination of excessive heat, traffic and shity income make it impossible to have a vehicle that is safe for all the family.

Headbanger
12th March 2009, 12:00
I think the answer he is looking for is "everything", when actually nothing is wrong with it when a combination of excessive heat, traffic and shity income make it impossible to have a vehicle that is safe for all the family.

And I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

What's the bet the unusual aspect he is alluding to is the rider went against local practise and is wearing a helmet. I doubt Radar is judging anybody,He is well travelled and aware that they do things as practical in their own regions, Its just this forum is about the most cynical place on earth.

I'll wager $5.

SpankMe
12th March 2009, 12:03
Wearing helmets is law in Thailand and most do.

Headbanger
12th March 2009, 12:04
Wearing helmets is law in Thailand and most do.

OK, So its that easy to point out my ignorance:mellow:, Does that law apply to passengers?

SpankMe
12th March 2009, 12:07
I think so, but many don't bother in the country. It tends to be more enforced in the cities. But the helmets they do wear are pretty useless. Many who do wear full face helmets often don't put them on fully. They have their face still sticking out the bottom.

Skyryder
12th March 2009, 12:10
The mirrows are wrong. I'll have a tui. yea right

prettybillie
12th March 2009, 12:11
I wonder if he got where he was going :laugh:

mister.koz
12th March 2009, 12:49
I'm going to go with the 3 in the background... Go figure that there are 3 passengers on that bike and there's a 3 there. Be interesting to see gate 8 and 9 :D

WRT
12th March 2009, 13:00
Is it the dildo in the front basket? Or is it that there is supposed to be two dildos in the front basket, but the rider forgot about putting the second one in his back pocket until just now when he sat down?

Radar
12th March 2009, 13:55
.... Its just this forum is about the most cynical place on earth.

I'll wager $5.

:first: Once again Headbanger is spot on.

Hey guys, I am not doing the 'gear-nazi' or 'put down other people' thing.
While many KB'ers are overly critical and cynical, many more are constructive and can see the funny side of life or at least the oddities that life throws our way. These things can make us think about our situation here or at least give us a laugh.

The winner will be announced later. Keep the comments coming.

kFlasher and SpankMe - good pics.

SpankMe
12th March 2009, 14:02
Hey guys, I am not doing the 'gear-nazi' or 'put down other people' thing.
While many KB'ers are overly critical and cynical, many more are constructive and can see the funny side of life or at least the oddities that life throws our way.

I wouldn't be a Kiwi if I didn't constantly try and knock people down.. :p

Radar
12th March 2009, 14:19
I wouldn't be a Kiwi if I didn't constantly try and knock people down.. :p

Yes the Tall Poppy Syndrome is firmly a part of Kiwi culture. Crikey :blink: this thread is bringing up more truths than I expected and it makes me laugh and sad at the same time. :weep: :laugh:

MarkH
12th March 2009, 14:30
The mirrows are wrong.

Naah, I think the mirrors are just there so he can make sure he hasn't fallen off - if he sees his singlet in the mirrors then he is still on the scooter.

jamiey
12th March 2009, 14:41
Another 3 kids and the granny missing

mister.koz
12th March 2009, 14:41
Naah, I think the mirrors are just there so he can make sure he hasn't fallen off - if he sees his singlet in the mirrors then he is still on the scooter.

Unless he falls out of his singlet of course. :weird:

Taz
12th March 2009, 14:47
Of cause it's ok if you're wearing a KB t-shirt, as its specially made to fully protect you in a crash :p

You should be banned from this site showing such recklessness and total disregard for the safety of your skin!!!!! I might send a message to the site owner....... :2guns: <_< :laugh:

Better still ban all the safety nazi's.......

Burtha
12th March 2009, 14:53
are most bikes there usually in such good shape ie: still have their mirrors, fairing etc? Theres something about that exhaust thats makin me ponder ... but then I'm fuzzy brained 2day. :blink:

Or from some of the comments above, is it merely the fact that the helmet IS done up?!

Bonez
12th March 2009, 15:22
Obviously its a safety message to all other riders-LOATT.

Mirrors are good for inspecting ones nibbles on the go ah?

peasea
12th March 2009, 19:10
The winner gets a cold beer * :drinkup:

The judge will take creativity and :bleh: humour into account. There really is only one odd thing in the photo.

The pic was taken in Thailand two years ago. If you have similar pics from Asia, lets see them.

* Collect your prize from Radar in Masterton. :D

The woman should be pushing the bike....to save gas.

Headbanger
12th March 2009, 19:16
She should be in the kitchen cooking the man some rice, and she should have the damn kid with her.

No wonder that country is cursed, God must be spewing on their arrogance.

All you KB ladies take heed, Go back to the kitchen and cook up some pie before God gets the shits and sends us a plague of weta's to eat the crops and poison the well.

MadDuck
12th March 2009, 19:19
The woman should be pushing the bike....to save gas.

She should be in the kitchen cooking the man some rice

But how can a woman do both of these things at once ah? And I suspect you want her to be giving him a blow job at the same time :innocent:

Headbanger
12th March 2009, 19:26
But how can a woman do both of these things at once ah? And I suspect you want her to be giving him a blow job at the same time :innocent:

Is it not true that multi-tasking is a women's forte?

piston broke
12th March 2009, 19:31
And I suspect you want her to be giving him a blow job at the same time :innocent:

of course,
well i'm a guy:innocent:

Ooky
12th March 2009, 19:32
well with the net in the basket almost looks like a carbon front :gob:

Kemet
12th March 2009, 19:42
Zoomed in on the photo.

It's not a dildo in the front basket. Unless, these days, they make dildos to look like baby bottles full of milk.

One thing I thought was strange was that the mothers jandals haven't melted even though they're resting on the exhaust. Either that or the bike hasn't been running at all and the strange thing is that they've been sitting there for a couple of hours in that pose...

With regard to those wing mirrors - they look as though they have been strategically positioned so he can check himself out.....

Hiflyer
12th March 2009, 19:47
Zoomed in on the photo.

It's not a dildo in the front basket. Unless, these days, they make dildos to look like baby bottles full of milk.

One thing I thought was strange was that the mothers jandals haven't melted even though they're resting on the exhaust. Either that or the bike hasn't been running at all and the strange thing is that they've been sitting there for a couple of hours in that pose...

With regard to those wing mirrors - they look as though they have been strategically positioned so he can check himself out.....

i think you'll find that there are foot pegs for her and its just the angle. but i cant see a front brake?

Kemet
12th March 2009, 19:52
i think you'll find that there are foot pegs for her and its just the angle. but i cant see a front brake?

Bugger! On second look I see you're right about the footpegs.... and possibly about that front brake too....

DarkLord
12th March 2009, 22:23
It's not an R1?

Seriously though, is it that the wing mirrors are pointed so far inwards the only thing he is likely to see is his own chest?

Radar
13th March 2009, 06:24
Zoomed in on the photo.

Waking up this morning and reading perfectly logical answers like this, I sigh in mock surprise, <_<
saying to myself "OMG, there really ARE intelligent KB'ers!"

But then my faith returns :laugh: with these KB-as-usual comments:

All you KB ladies take heed, Go back to the kitchen and cook up some pie before God gets the shits and sends us a plague of weta's to eat the crops and poison the well.

...Although when I really think about it, Headbanger and MadDuck probably give us more honest, perceptive and reasonable comments than anyone else. :laugh:

Winner to be announced later today. This thread needs at least 24 hours to ferment.

Mystic13
13th March 2009, 10:32
Clearly the unusual thing is this guy is wealthy, and humble.

He’s set his mirrors to get a better look of his face as he rides and his lady can also peek at his beauty.

He rides a custom chariot with gold plated rims, rear shocks and front brake lever.

He’s even had the custom go fast rainbow installed.

His son is fed like a king. Look at the size of him.
The basket out front is designed to carry 12 bottles, one in each hole. And junior has already drunk 11.
The loyal wife carries her mobile at the ready in case junior polishes off the last drop of milk.

So why has he got a chrome helmet instead of gold you ask? Well actually the helmet is worth more, being platinum plated titanium. Note this is not a motorcycle helmet but one associated with his role as an honrary military officer.

Being an honorary general he rides with the fashionably shortened Army Khaki pants with horizontal mobile phone pouch but has enough taste to wear his and hers matching T-Shirts.

And of course to let people know he is coming he turns on his Xenon head light.

They have on board communications. Her with the headset and mouth piece that leaves the right ear clear to listen to junior. Sadly she has to ride with her head turned this way. But she does it because of her love for her family. His comms are in the plastic mouth piece sitting out from his cheek.

Junior is dressed in fashionable red top and red topped shoes.

Junior will grow up big. Note how is arms are bigger than his mums.

But none of this is unusual. What is unusual is the thickness of the concrete blocks in the background on the far right.

No wonder their buildings fall over in earthquakes.

Radar
13th March 2009, 10:58
Uh oh... me thinks Mystic13 has blown the competition away.

nudemetalz
13th March 2009, 11:04
Actually, it raises another question.
How do you know that the "end" pillion isn't a lady-boy....?:eek:

Ecclesnz
13th March 2009, 11:32
Has anyone else seen the Top Gear episode where they ride bikes in Vietnam?

Yes, they get Clarkson on a bike after he has a huuuuuuge tanty

MarkH
13th March 2009, 13:01

I liked near the start when he didn't know how to kick start the thing - the pretty blonde lady (might have been a crew member) showed him, then as he rode off she said "Sh*t he's gonna die!"

Burtha
13th March 2009, 14:54
pushing bike.... in kitchen ... blow job.... multi tasking ...

of course,
well i'm a guy:innocent:

Wot would you fuckers do without us, eh !?! :spanking::doctor:

Kemet
13th March 2009, 14:58
Waking up this morning and reading perfectly logical answers like this, I sigh in mock surprise, <_<
saying to myself "OMG, there really ARE intelligent KB'ers!"

But then my faith returns :laugh: with these KB-as-usual comments:

...Although when I really think about it, Headbanger and MadDuck probably give us more honest, perceptive and reasonable comments than anyone else. :laugh:

Winner to be announced later today. This thread needs at least 24 hours to ferment.

So am I intelligent but less honest??!! :scratch:

:killingme

Kemet
13th March 2009, 15:01

Hell... Juniors boobs look almost bigger than his mums!!!:shit:

Kemet
13th March 2009, 15:32

Missed it. Just Youtubed it... is it the episode where this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcnqE4mTJI4) happened?

kasper
13th March 2009, 15:51
And that is why you wear at least basic armour.
No a tailored suit does not class as armour. Nor does Velcro elbow guards.

Kemet
13th March 2009, 19:27
He did put elbow guards on after that....

Solly
13th March 2009, 21:52
Whats wrong with this....????

Nothing......there's still room for another 2:whistle:

Radar
10th April 2009, 11:39
A month has passed since I started this thread, I have had plenty of time to contemplate all of the comments, and maybe many of you have now seen last week's Top Gear TV programme when the Fearless Three went to Vietnam and rode bikes / scooters.

My original question about the photo was "What is the one unusual thing?"

It would be fair to ask me "What was my intention behind posting this thread?" So let me reveal all...

First of all, there is not really just ONE thing unusual or wrong in the photo. I just put that there to make it more of a challenge, more interesting. I - Radar - may find one thing unusual but who am I but a person with his own unique experiences, their own perceptions, own judgment?! Most likely my views will be different than someone else's perceptions.

To be honest, the first thought for me was that the rider was actually wearing a helmet. I have been to Thailand (and other Asian countries) several times over the last 20 years and most bike riders or pillions do not bother to wear helmets. But times are changing in these 'emerging economy' countries, with new laws:

In Thailand, where 70-90% of all crashes involve motorcycle, after enforcement of a helmet law, helmet-use increased five-fold, the number of injured motorcyclists decreased by 33.5%, head injuries decreased by 41.4%, and deaths decreased by 20.8%. There is considerable evidence that mandatory helmet laws with enforcement alleviate the burden of traffic injuries greatly. For low and middle-income countries with high rates of motorcycle injuries, enforced, mandatory motorcycle helmet laws are potentially one of the most cost effective interventions available.

For us in law abiding and safety conscious NZ, there is more that is 'unusual' in the photo. Let's see what other KB'ers found...

He's wearing a helmet. Looks like it might be on backwards... but still, highly unusual.

The bike actually have wing mirrors, at least they haven't lost it completely and so have stowed them for reduced wind resistance.

Mikkel saw what I did, and made his reply a few minutes after I posted. The photo was actually taken by my son, who was in Thailand three years ago, a few months after I was there. At that time it was unusual to see helmets, but now it is more common. Some laws are not strictly enforced in most Asian countries and many families cannot afford helmets for everyone on a bike.

My guess is that the mirrors are turned in for better filtering through congested traffic. Normally bikes with families on them don't get up to high speeds.

Well for a start, Like Mikkel said he's wearing a helmet, albeit one of those nice plastic jobbies. His wife and kid....na they'll be right.

Secondly, he shouldnt have ventured out when there is clearly room for at least 3 more family members to come along for the ride.

Thirdly, his choice of footware......not too clever. But hey
when in Rome...

The weather over there is HOT and HUMID, like a sauna, so there is no way cordura or leather can be worn. When I was in Thailand and in Laos, I rented small 120 cc bikes. The helmets were too tight for my fat head and gave me a headache so I rode with no protective gear at all, although at least I had a pair of shoes and not jandals. After hoofing it for two months, riding a bike was an exhilarating, liberating experience - especially without protective gear. I rode on the motorway for awhile at 80 - 90 kph and after shutting out thoughts of binning, happily went on my way.

I have seen 5 passengers on a bike. 3 on a bike is common. My bet is that if any of us lived there, working as they do, earning what they do, having a family as they do - we would ride the same way, probably with helmets and shoes but not much else.

There looks to be another helmet tucked down in front of the rider.. a purple one.. must be there.. "just in case there is an accident" :doh:

Yeah, it could be a helmet. Hard to tell. I guess the helmet law in that part of Thailand at that time was not enforced.

The only thing I see wrong with the photo is the invasion of privacy by some self indulged safety nazi while a struggling, but content family try to get on with their lives.

Am I wrong?

Whoooaa... is Finn correct? Well, there certainly ARE safety 'nazis' on KB, those that come across in a self righteous manner. To tell the truth, I had them in mind when I created this thread. I find them interesting in a way. I wonder if they (like me) often are annoyed at having to put on all the protective gear, spending all the $$$ on it, then (unlike me) getting pissed off seeing another biker enjoying their ride without the gear?

Anyhow, there is a big point I'd like to spout off about, and will do so in a separate post, just below this one.

I go to Thailand often and it all looks pretty normal to me.

I'd like to see any "must wear gear" nazi try wearing full leathers in Thai heat without passing out from heat stroke.

EXACTLY.

the mirrors are the wrong way round ...

Am I right ?

Yes, you are correct - there are no 'wrong' answers here. Its up to our own perceptions, what each of us finds unusual compared to riding here in NZ.

I think so, but many don't bother in the country. It tends to be more enforced in the cities. But the helmets they do wear are pretty useless. Many who do wear full face helmets often don't put them on fully. They have their face still sticking out the bottom.[/QUOTE

I found if I did not take things too seriously when traveling in Asia, things like you describe are funny as hell..!

[QUOTE=Headbanger;1976981]And I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

What's the bet the unusual aspect he is alluding to is the rider went against local practise and is wearing a helmet. I doubt Radar is judging anybody,He is well travelled and aware that they do things as practical in their own regions, Its just this forum is about the most cynical place on earth.

I'll wager $5.

Spot on. When creating this thread I was really curious how the cynical crowd here on KB would respond.

Spot on again. Summed up perfectly - as far as my own perceptions and analysis would judge it.

Clearly the unusual thing is this guy is wealthy, and humble.

He’s set his mirrors to get a better look of his face as he rides and his lady can also peek at his beauty.

He rides a custom chariot with gold plated rims, rear shocks and front brake lever.

He’s even had the custom go fast rainbow installed.

His son is fed like a king. Look at the size of him.
The basket out front is designed to carry 12 bottles, one in each hole. And junior has already drunk 11.
The loyal wife carries her mobile at the ready in case junior polishes off the last drop of milk.

So why has he got a chrome helmet instead of gold you ask? Well actually the helmet is worth more, being platinum plated titanium. Note this is not a motorcycle helmet but one associated with his role as an honrary military officer.

Being an honorary general he rides with the fashionably shortened Army Khaki pants with horizontal mobile phone pouch but has enough taste to wear his and hers matching T-Shirts.

And of course to let people know he is coming he turns on his Xenon head light.

They have on board communications. Her with the headset and mouth piece that leaves the right ear clear to listen to junior. Sadly she has to ride with her head turned this way. But she does it because of her love for her family. His comms are in the plastic mouth piece sitting out from his cheek.

Junior is dressed in fashionable red top and red topped shoes.

But none of this is unusual. What is unusual is the thickness of the concrete blocks in the background on the far right.

No wonder their buildings fall over in earthquakes.

Top marks for creative writing. :msn-wink:
OMG, the construction of some of the buildings in Asia are :gob: shocking! I would not want to be in or near one of them during an earthquake.

That was a terrific episode, funny and interesting. Compared to what the locals were riding, those three bikes were pieces of crap. I think most of the bikes in Asia are Chinese and as far as commuter bikes go, they zip along nicely.

==============

:first: AND THE WINNER IS... SpankMe

Finn and Headbanger get :second: Honourable Mentions.

The 3 of you can collect your cold beer prize next time you are in Masterton, :laugh: Or when we meet in a pub sometime at the end of a ride...

Radar
10th April 2009, 12:06
I wrote above: Anyhow, there is a big point I'd like to spout off about, and will do so in a separate post, just below this one.

OK, here I go...

Some of us used to ride many years ago, 30 years or more. We remember when helmets were not compulsory and the only protective gear was a leather jacket - but that really was not worn for protection, it just looked good, as leather still looks good today.

It was back in the days when no one gave a toss about seat belts and did not mind if their mate, or father, drove drunk. Smoking and drinking while pregnant, cars that were death traps, hell -even testing nuclear weapons... it was different back then. Not many people cared, mainly because they were just fkn ignorant, unaware.

So what's this have to do with us KB'ers, and the photo that I posted at the top of this thread?

I see it like this: TIME CHANGES THINGS. Thailand and other Asian countries are behind the time (compared to Western countries) regarding economic growth and safety laws. We have our own Safety Nazis here on KB, those that yell and whine about ATGATT. My message :Oi: to these Safety Nazis is this: Yes yes you are correct, we should wear ATGATT... When a rider takes a bin and winds up in hospital, there is no argument about ATGATT... but...

But here is something for you Safety Nazi's to think about: What gear are you not wearing? Do you have proper custom made ear plugs, shin and knee guards, chest and back protectors, elbow protectors? No, I did not think so. Call me a hypocrite, or a self righteous bastard, or whatever, but in another decade or two I think most bikers in developed countries will be wearing more protective gear than what we have now.

So yes, you Safety Nazis ARE correct, and we all need reminders to ride safe.

But hey, some of you might tone things down a bit and may I suggest that you go over to Thailand to live for awhile, and do some riding over there?!!

That's my rant. :done: Take it or leave it.

Ronin
10th April 2009, 14:08
'Tis rigged I tell you

Radar
6th May 2009, 07:51
One bike carrying EIGHT people. 3 children, 2 men, 2 women and a baby on 1 motorbike.

Krayy
6th May 2009, 10:51
He's two-finger braking with front drums...send him on the RRRS course and he should be okay.

MSTRS
6th May 2009, 11:00
He's two-finger braking with front drums...send him on the RRRS course and he should be okay.

Send him on...? He wrote the book on the Oriental version...SRRR
Scooter Roaded Rearry Right

BMWST?
6th May 2009, 11:06
One bike carrying EIGHT people. 3 children, 2 men, 2 women and a baby on 1 motorbike.

and lunch(in the bucket?)

EJK
6th May 2009, 11:25
That's me when I was 3 years old!

Nah kidding. But when I was around 5-6, I remember when my dad's friend got his moped. That day, him, me, his daughter, son got on that one moped (something similar to the photo) and drove around the driveway. But it was just on the driveway not on the road like that!

munterk6
6th May 2009, 17:59
So who the hell is the winner???
I spent ages reading post after post....c'mon, who is the WINNER?

Mom
6th May 2009, 18:11
So who the hell is the winner???
I spent ages reading post after post....c'mon, who is the WINNER?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=2021341&postcount=57

scroll to the bottom of the post and all will be revealed :yes:

munterk6
6th May 2009, 18:14
Duhhh....ok, so I didn't read that one completely lol! :yes:

Laxi
9th May 2009, 19:54
it's easy! that asian chicks got tits:2thumbsup

nico
10th May 2009, 10:03
he's not waving :2thumbsup :beer::beer:

Cheshire Cat
10th May 2009, 10:42
Ahhh....the mirrors are bent upwards....:beer: lol
I havent read the rest of the thread:whistle:

Kemet
10th May 2009, 15:06
Is it just me or doest the kid directly in front of the "driver" look like he's sleeping???

Duc
10th May 2009, 17:37
FFS....lame thread...total waste of bandwidth.

(Get a bike an go for a ride)