PDA

View Full Version : Wire Rope Barriers "BANNED"

Kflasher
12th March 2009, 11:24
Just out of interest for all.

Mom
12th March 2009, 12:24
Just out of interest for all.

What publication did you pull that from? It would be good to have a link. I have spoken to Pat McGuire, he is the president of the NZ concrete assn.

MSTRS
12th March 2009, 12:27
It has been on here before...note the date of this report...April 08...http://www.nzherald.co.nz/road-safety/news/article.cfm?c_id=308&objectid=10502564
As posted by Marty http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1521063&postcount=34

Kflasher
13th March 2009, 06:32
What publication did you pull that from? It would be good to have a link. I have spoken to Pat McGuire, he is the president of the NZ concrete assn.

Apologies for the repost, I assumed it was fresh as no date on the page; it must have just resurfaced for general awareness.

Good move on contacting Mr McGuire, an extra foot in the door will never go a miss...

NZsarge
13th March 2009, 06:54
Apologies for the repost, I assumed it was fresh as no date on the page; it must have just resurfaced for general awareness.

Cheers for that anyway mate, I had'nt caught that. :niceone:

Hoon
13th March 2009, 10:16
So is the topic correct and Wire barriers have now been banned in NZ or are they still deciding?

MSTRS
13th March 2009, 10:42
Not banned. Still being installed left, right and centre. Literally.

ManDownUnder
13th March 2009, 11:03
Not banned. Still being installed left, right and centre. Literally.

John Key's my local MP and he's looking for infrastructre projects to boost the economy - sounds like Concrete Barriers might be topical...

Skyryder
13th March 2009, 21:16
John Key's my local MP and he's looking for infrastructre projects to boost the economy - sounds like Concrete Barriers might be topical...

Well he's got 50mill to spend on a cycle way. So what's more important saving lives or Keys cycle way. Actually it was a Rod Donald's cycle way.

Skyyrder

Mully
13th March 2009, 22:03
Actually it was a Rod Donald's cycle way.

Yeah, but Rod Donald's dead, so his ideas are all up for grabs anyway.

The Greens managed to get huge traction off that from getting into bed with Labour, didn't they??

TOTO
25th March 2009, 13:47
when is the next cheesecutter protest ride ????

SMOKEU
20th September 2009, 19:16
The South African motorways have solid concrete barriers to prevent head on collisions, the barriers are about 1.5m high and around 1.5m wide at the base. I've never seen wire barriers there.

WelshWizard
7th October 2009, 15:45
smokeu

About 16 years ago they used to have wire on the National road out of Cape Town towards Somerset West, but after Somerset West I never saw them between there and PE, not sure if they have been replaced, but on thing in the Roads favour was that the median strip was at least 6 meters wide, so you only really had trouble when the Black South easter blew , so all you did was stay in the Neaqr sid elane when that happened.