PDA

View Full Version : Fix-it this Sunday

motorbyclist
13th March 2009, 08:46
This Sunday I can be found in my shed workin' on bikes.

Got any basic maintenance to be done? Bike making a funny noise? Got nothing better to do? I've got the tools and experience, you bring your fluids/parts and be prepared to get your hands dirty.

I'm out west, in Henderson Valley so if you don't know where I am, txt me 0274054213

If you can, bring/find a manual for more "surgical" jobs

:scooter:

jobs planned so far:
brake pads x1 (dirtbike)
clean/unsieze brakes x1 (roadbike, 2x4 pistons)
oil change x1
chain tension
welding/repair x1
front wheel bearings (remove wheel, order bearings) x1 (dirtbike)
complete clean (remove plastics and use a toothbrush) x2 (dirtbikes)
chain/sprocket change x1 (dirtbike)
air filter clean/replace x2 (dirtbikes)

possible 'If I have time' jobs:
repack muffler x1 (dirtbike)
cam chain tensioner (check) x3 (dirtbike)

Ragingrob
13th March 2009, 10:29
Sounds like you're all booked out for the day already mate haha! Might just go for a ride instead :bleh:

macros87
13th March 2009, 10:33
actually i was thinking you know how my rocker cover thing leaks a bit of oil?
(if its not called that, you know what im talking about anyway!) is that something that can be easily sealed? you have mentioned silicon sealant before? do you have some? do i buy some? any in particular? how much is it? and can you be fucked giving me a hand seeing as you seem to have alot of work on your hands already?

Slyer
13th March 2009, 11:01
I want to you have a look at the funny noise that my bike makes when engine braking. It's becoming increasingly concerning.

PirateJafa
13th March 2009, 11:37
It's going to explode; you cannot prevent this.

xwhatsit
13th March 2009, 11:39
I want to you have a look at the funny noise that my bike makes when engine braking. It's becoming increasingly concerning.
Exhaust leak.

Slyer
13th March 2009, 11:49
It's more of an metal on metal gnashing sound.

Ragingrob
13th March 2009, 12:05
It's more of an metal on metal gnashing sound.

Do you have titanium knee sliders? Prob best not to engine brake toooo much on corners with ya knee down ay.

Pro tip!

R6_kid
13th March 2009, 13:21
What are you doing on Saturday? I have a 125 that needs the crank replaced :niceone:

R6_kid
13th March 2009, 13:23

Braking or Breaking?

Slyer
13th March 2009, 13:35
Hopefully just braking.

motorbyclist
13th March 2009, 13:41
actually i was thinking you know how my rocker cover thing leaks a bit of oil?
(if its not called that, you know what im talking about anyway!) is that something that can be easily sealed? you have mentioned silicon sealant before? do you have some? do i buy some? any in particular? how much is it? and can you be fucked giving me a hand seeing as you seem to have alot of work on your hands already?

yep it can/should be sealed with some silicone "gasket goo"

i've run out/lost mine - so maybe you could go halves with chris on a tube?

yep, i expect to rage quit a few times so thrashing a kawasaki would be a welcome reprieve

It's going to explode; you cannot prevent this.

+1

buy a honda ;)

What are you doing on Saturday? I have a 125 that needs the crank replaced :niceone:

lol yeah i'm working saturday, but i'm keen if you flick me a txt after 4pm

motorbyclist
13th March 2009, 13:46
Sounds like you're all booked out for the day already mate haha! Might just go for a ride instead :bleh:

don't worry, i'm used to late nights in the shed:laugh:

it's not like i hoestly expect to get half of my dirtbike stuff done anyway - and this will be the 4th time i've planned to fix the riffer's brakes; they're getting dangerous now

Slyer
13th March 2009, 13:47
I have spare gasket stuff that some friendly ex-flatmate left behind.

Real_Wolf
13th March 2009, 23:46
oooh, I have a bike, that needs some repairs......

it seems to be running fine then it breaks, and ends up in stevens bushes hiding in shame.

ehab2weelr
15th March 2009, 20:24
fuk!!!!! i knew there was somthing i wonted to go to......arhhhhh
whens the next one....and i didnt read the thread so if that was talked bout then mind me....:2thumbsup

motorbyclist
15th March 2009, 22:11
jobs completed:

riffer front brakes - now friggen awesome
riffer lowbeams (but now no highbeams pending the purchase of a new switch... anyone got a 13mm long 3mm diameter spring?

gpx front pads
gpx bleed front and rear - gpx now has working brakes!
determined the source of gpx death noises - confirmed to be the bottom end

rd kickstart half finished... by the time i'm done it's going to be more weld than kickstart :clap:

gijoe1313
15th March 2009, 22:15
Glad to hear you got spannering, coincidentally, I managed to fix up Daisy after Banzai did his kamikaze job on it! :woohoo:

Took her out for a blat to clear out some of the cobwebs and ring-a-ding-a-ding baby!

Mmmm nothing like having a spanner in your hand and seeing to some nuts ... er ... wait ... :O :devil2: :msn-wink:

Ragingrob
16th March 2009, 10:13
So what'd you actually get done to the RVF front brakes? Just clean calipers thoroughly and unstick a piston? Hmmm still keen to clean my fronts sometime haha, just in case it actually makes a difference!

macros87
16th March 2009, 11:00
i couldnt make it yesterday... as i had the shitest day ever.. get up in the morning get on bike, bike feels funny, bike had rear flat tyre!!! rofl rofl rofl in psychotic laughter, get a cab to work 26 bucks, even more than a tank of gas, was 40 minutes late to work. leave cellphone in cab by accident 15 bucks to get the guy to bring it from avondale where he was at the time, had to wait 2 fucking hours for a fucking bus as i had forgotten that sunday buses have weird fucked timetables.. now i have to get the dam bike to have the tyre repaired.. hopefully it can be repaired its still a decent tyre..

motorbyclist
16th March 2009, 22:43
So what'd you actually get done to the RVF front brakes? Just clean calipers thoroughly and unstick a piston? Hmmm still keen to clean my fronts sometime haha, just in case it actually makes a difference!

just did one caliper, as i did the other back when the "problem" began

cleaned up the pistons and even gave the pads a bit of a scrub (de-glazing or something like that)

matthew
23rd March 2009, 23:13
Hello everyone,

I just joined the uni motorbike club about 2 weeks ago. I could not make it to last fridays get together as i was at the maths club meeting which was interesting i must say.

Well im wondering when there is another fix day on as my 125cc scooter has just started making a weird noise and rattling which does not sound good. It does need a full service now anyway as i only just bought it last month and i dont think he took great care with it.

So will have to do air filter, brakes, oil and fix some odds and ends, I just dont have the tools required and just a point in the right direction of how to do some of it.

Well if you have something coming up very soon i would be very interested.

Thanks

Matthew

Slyer
23rd March 2009, 23:18
I'll see you this friday mate. :) ^^

Real_Wolf
24th March 2009, 05:41
If ya can get to the chiller this friday, I'm sure we can help ya out. Other than that, both Andrew and Stephen have the tools required, and they are normally the two who host a fix it day, so I'm sure one of them could help you out.

matthew
24th March 2009, 10:08
Ok cool thanks, will see a few of you this friday and discuss it further. I have work till 6pm so can come after that to the upstairs meeting place at uni.

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 14:05
i will very likely be in the shed yet again this weekend - but I live out in henderson valley/swanson area so it might be a bit of a mission if you can't use the motorway

macros87
24th March 2009, 15:16
motorway cycle path? see many scooters using it between the st lukes exit and the te atatu south exit, even at night i have seen them use it with their lights off so they dont get snapped! just disappointed i was too chicken to do the same when i had my scooter :S

matthew
24th March 2009, 21:29
its ok i have a 125cc scooter so gets up to a whopping 97kmh downhill on the motorway:). Ok that sounds great i will bring it out your way. The rattling is getting worse so will have to.

Oh is there a motorbike shop near your place to get spares like a spark plug and oil if needed?

Are you going to be at the get together on friday afternoon/night?

Matthew

Real_Wolf
24th March 2009, 21:40
Yah, andrew there had better be at the chiller. Squiggles will also be there. If your scooter does break down, or the soudn gets bad enough taht you think its not worth riding, we could probably arrange SMC transport of it in a trailer too. Come to think of it, it'd probably be quite easy to get into a scooter at only 125cc

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 22:28
Oh is there a motorbike shop near your place to get spares like a spark plug and oil if needed?

Are you going to be at the get together on friday afternoon/night?

yes and yes

Yah, andrew there had better be at the chiller. Squiggles will also be there. If your scooter does break down, or the soudn gets bad enough taht you think its not worth riding, we could probably arrange SMC transport of it in a trailer too. Come to think of it, it'd probably be quite easy to get into a scooter at only 125cc

a scooter will fit in the back of a car anyway

macros87
25th March 2009, 10:12
a scooter will fit in the back of a car anyway

the last time you said that in my presence we had to go back to your place and get a trailer... not that i wasn't ridiculously grateful for it...

still waiting on the bike to come out of red baron.. they take ages to do shit, im hoping ill have it by tomorrow tho for the smctnr

PirateJafa
25th March 2009, 11:07
the last time you said that in my presence we had to go back to your place and get a trailer... not that i wasn't ridiculously grateful for it...

still waiting on the bike to come out of red baron.. they take ages to do shit, im hoping ill have it by tomorrow tho for the smctnr
Red Baron?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

macros87
25th March 2009, 13:32
Red Baron?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

yes... only now do i see how that is funny..

matthew
28th March 2009, 13:25
Hello all,

I didnt finish work till 6:30pm friday night and i got to that bar and they were clearing it out and packing up close to 7pm so didnt get to meet anyone. Just wondering if your still working on your bike out at henderson i think you said? here is my number if you are, maybe just text. 021 251 2695. Just got to fix a couple of small things and some rattle. I am free tomorrow?

Matthew

motorbyclist
28th March 2009, 15:42
tomorrow sounds a lot better.... dunno when/if i will get home and how badly hungover I will be though

macros87
28th March 2009, 19:32
i might come around in the afternoon if its still going.. just wana give my brakes a clean maybe, give you a hand if you need it, wana see how the scooter thing plays out :)