View Full Version : Wellington: MTA Ride to Work Day - Friday 27th March

cheshirecat
10th March 2009, 16:20
This came to my inbox and isn't an official announce on the forum but:

http://www.mta.org.nz/ridetowork

see yah there.

Ms Piggy
10th March 2009, 17:33
Awesome idea! I've just registered, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to go to the events.

sinned
10th March 2009, 20:51
Registered

Nasty
10th March 2009, 20:58
I am registered .. mainly cos WCC is supporting and they are the ones who pay me .. .but it will be fun!!!!! and my bosses will ride too .. which is great!

Eric
11th March 2009, 07:32
Great idea.

Will be there rain or shine

Drogen Omen
13th March 2009, 15:06
http://www.mta.org.nz/ridetowork

:scooter:Motorcycle Ride to Work Day :scooter:

Motorcycles are only growing in popularity, so everyone needs to be aware of our presence on the road. Our aim, as well as to provide a great ride on the day, is to inform riders and those who are considering becoming riders about ways to keep yourself, your vehicle and other road users safe.

Why get involved with a motorcycle ride to work day?

Many countries have celebrated riding to work with an event over the years, and now it’s New Zealand’s, specifically Wellington & Gisborne's turn.

Join with like-minded motorcycle riders* and help demonstrate to all motorists and decision making agencies that we are on the road too and that riding a motorcycle:

• Leaves a small carbon footprint
• Causes less traffic congestion
• Can be quicker
• Is cheap to run
• Is easier to park
• Is heaps of fun

*if you own a Scooter, a Harley or anything in between, you are welcome!

Get Involved!

Keep this date free in your diary and tell your friends, colleagues, clubs and neighbours who are motorcycle riders.

Please Pre-Register to help us plan the day.

WELLINGTON

Date: Friday 27 March
This event goes ahead rain or shine.
Time: 7:00am – Snacks will be available from 7:00-8:30 and the event will have concluded by 9:00am
Venue: Taranaki Wharf, End of Taranaki Street, Wellington. Enter via Cable st/Taranaki st intersection. (courtesy of Wellington City Council, FREE parking will be available at the site - No security provided)

Register Here for the Wellington event
http://www.mta.org.nz/ridetoworkregisterwelly

Drogen Omen
13th March 2009, 15:08
I've registered... mainly cause there wont be much traffic that early in the morning.... hahahah

Any of you going?

davebullet
13th March 2009, 15:34
Yeah - thought I'd turn up. I think there is another post somewhere about this in the KB landfill

Ms Piggy
14th March 2009, 07:14
Yep - I saw the other post and registered. Great idea aye! :niceone:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=94516&highlight=mta+ride+work

Hawkeye
14th March 2009, 07:44
I ride to work every day so may leave the bike at home that day just for a change! Nah! that would mean using the public cattle trucks or crawling with the cages. Registered!!!!!!!

cheshirecat
17th March 2009, 18:35
Are there thoughts on taking a 'commuter' as pillion for the experience.

I mean I could borrow an old 1970's 2 stroke Jap bike (kwaka H1) sans baffles and too much oil in the petrol mix, soften the suspension even more than it came with new and rear tyre presure and give them an old badly fitting smelly mildew'd pudding bowl helmet, carefully forgetting the goggles - then lane split the shit out of everything giving their kneecaps a grazing on every GO the bus lump possible.

cheshirecat
24th March 2009, 16:56
any vfr's coming on this?

Gareth51
24th March 2009, 20:58
As I work in Kapiti it could be worth the little detour(any excuse for a ride)

KiwiKat
24th March 2009, 21:02
This is a great idea. It's a pity it's only promoted in two cities. It would be good to see it go national.

RocKai
24th March 2009, 23:27
Registered. Apparently it's gonna be shit weather on Friday... bloody Wellington. And by the sea too, it's gonna be a blast!!! Literaturelly, Literally, Literaturally (YES!)

Ms Piggy
25th March 2009, 06:17
Be nice to see a few more riders on the road on Friday. Look out for a little beat up CB250 with a pig above the headlight. :2thumbsup Might try and get my butt out of bed a bit earlier so I can stop off at on my way through to work.

Nasty
25th March 2009, 06:44
Be nice to see a few more riders on the road on Friday. Look out for a little beat up CB250 with a pig above the headlight. :2thumbsup Might try and get my butt out of bed a bit earlier so I can stop off at on my way through to work.

You better .. cos i am getting my arse outta bed to be there early before work (7ish) have to be at work by 8!

Wasp
25th March 2009, 10:27
I'd like to go but I can't because I need to get a park near work before they are all gone!

Ms Piggy
25th March 2009, 11:25
You better .. cos i am getting my arse outta bed to be there early before work (7ish) have to be at work by 8!

7ish! Wots that? Is there such a time?! (Hmmmmm, reputation as 'Lazy Bitch' being compounded when I make comments like this!)

But since you asked soooooo niiiiicely, I'll honestly try to be there before you depart.

davebullet
25th March 2009, 12:26
I'd like to go but I can't because I need to get a park near work before they are all gone!

Where do you park? I'll use my chain and towball on the bike to pull any annoying scooter out of the way for you afterwards :lol:

RnB Fan
25th March 2009, 12:35
Registered. Hope the weather stays good.

Hawkeye
25th March 2009, 13:22
Registered. Apparently it's gonna be shit weather on Friday... bloody Wellington. And by the sea too, it's gonna be a blast!!! Literaturelly, Literally, Literaturally (YES!)

Not sure where your getting your info but according to the 3 day forecast...

http://www.metservice.co.nz/public/maps/rain-forecast-3-day.html

Nasty
25th March 2009, 13:24
Not sure where your getting your info but according to the 3 day forecast...

http://www.metservice.co.nz/public/maps/rain-forecast-3-day.html

Amazing how it changes .. on Monday it looked like it was gonna be crappy!

nico
25th March 2009, 15:38
any vfr's coming on this?

ahhh yep..........................

Str8 Jacket
25th March 2009, 15:46
I mean I could borrow an old 1970's 2 stroke Jap bike (kwaka H1)..... yadda yadda

OH, OH, OH!! Any chance that *I* could borrow it!?!

Pretty please!

cheshirecat
25th March 2009, 17:31
OH, OH, OH!! Any chance that *I* could borrow it!?!

Pretty please!
Yeah those were the days when you could leave a vast blue cloud of two stroke oil smoke down the road and not feel guilty, 100mph was an adventure of a lifetime if the thing didn't tank slap you, waxed cotton barber jackets, 6 volt electrics, 4 inch drum brakes, jelly mould frames, men were men and girls were????

Ah the H1. Sod all power and oiled up plugs till 5126 rpm precisely when all of it's power came in and dropped your tail light on the tarmac because the tyres hadn't heard of grip in those days. These GXR's/R1's don't know what power is. Deep Joy.

Big Dave
25th March 2009, 17:48
MTA are organising a RTW day

------------------------

EVENT: Motorcycle Ride to Work Day

DATE: 27 March

PHONE: 043818833

EMAIL: anna.thomas@mta.org.nz

ABOUT EVENT: Ride your motorcycle or scooter to work - event runs from 7-9am. Free snack and drink, and prize givewaways! Come and meet and mingle with your fellow riders.

Str8 Jacket
25th March 2009, 17:59
Yep! They're one of the first bikes that I want totrack down when I win lotto!! :love:

PirateJafa
25th March 2009, 18:09
Lots of warning I see. :P

Big Dave
25th March 2009, 18:51

I got it late last week - but was away at the Boulevard Rally.

Headbanger
25th March 2009, 19:15
Surely that would only work if you happened to work at Taranaki Wharf, Wellington Waterfront???

Its not like the boss is going to allow people to wander off down to the waterfront for nibbles just because they arrived at work on a motorcycle.....

James Deuce
25th March 2009, 19:27
Surely that would only work if you happened to work at Taranaki Wharf, Wellington Waterfront???

Its not like the boss is going to allow people to wander off down to the waterfront for nibbles just because they arrived at work on a motorcycle.....

It's between 7am and 9am, negative Nelly.

I'll be there taking names and photographs.

Headbanger
25th March 2009, 19:32
Who starts work after 9am apart from suits?

You guys aren't a bunch of suits are you?

98tls
25th March 2009, 19:37
Cant imagine why anyone would want to ride a bike to work that lived in Wellington let alone any other city, aside from cheaper to run would there actually be any pleasure?.Yea i lived there for years.

James Deuce
25th March 2009, 19:49
Who starts work after 9am apart from suits?

You guys aren't a bunch of suits are you?

It isn't compulsory to stay for two hours.

James Deuce
25th March 2009, 19:53
Cant imagine why anyone would want to ride a bike to work that lived in Wellington let alone any other city, aside from cheaper to run would there actually be any pleasure?.Yea i lived there for years.

I get to work with a smile on my face and I get home with a smile on my face. If I want to go for a ride after work, I just go, no faffing about.

The biggest pleasure is taking a mere 20 minutes to get to work or back home, irrespective of traffic conditions. Public transport takes me an hour and three quarters to travel 15 kms.

I have vastly expanded free parking options over a car and I can park within 500 metres of wherever I want to go throughout the CBD. I live at the top of a hill and have a good 5 minutes of twisties to get to the motorway, and 4 different routes I can take to get there. It might be "slow" but it helps keep the skills sharp. Shall I go on?

megageoff76
25th March 2009, 19:59
That pretty much sums it up for me right there too James.

I'll come along for a nosey, especially if there are freebies to be won.

98tls
25th March 2009, 20:01
I get to work with a smile on my face and I get home with a smile on my face. If I want to go for a ride after work, I just go, no faffing about.

The biggest pleasure is taking a mere 20 minutes to get to work or back home, irrespective of traffic conditions. Public transport takes me an hour and three quarters to travel 15 kms.

I have vastly expanded free parking options over a car and I can park within 500 metres of wherever I want to go throughout the CBD. I live at the top of a hill and have a good 5 minutes of twisties to get to the motorway, and 4 different routes I can take to get there. It might be "slow" but it helps keep the skills sharp. Shall I go on? Completly up to you,I lived in Jville for years when up there myself and had route options,guess in hindsight of my post it depends on how you like it,wasnt motorcycling as i enjoy,personal thing i guess,then again i shake my head at lane splitting threads.

Insanity_rules
25th March 2009, 22:49

I have vastly expanded free parking options over a car and I can park within 500 metres of wherever I want to go throughout the CBD. I live at the top of a hill and have a good 5 minutes of twisties to get to the motorway, and 4 different routes I can take to get there. It might be "slow" but it helps keep the skills sharp. Shall I go on?

Get this man a cigar! He testifies like an evangelist. I totally agree. I ride in from Upper Hutt and am loving it. I'm going to this thing and am dragging Nico and Laxi with me.

Big Dave
26th March 2009, 15:37
bumped :niceone:

greminn
26th March 2009, 15:43
I wonder if this could be used as an excuse to go to work on the bike... From home, to Taranaki Wharf, then to work???

I live in tauranga.

Oh - its in Gizzy as well!

Big Dave
26th March 2009, 15:45
Yep - Just tell them BD says it's OK and everything will be sweet as.

Str8 Jacket
26th March 2009, 15:47
Well I didnt think that I would be able to go as I usually start work at aroud 7am so that I can be out of the office aronund 4.... Luckily for me my boss is also a motorcyclist and basically told me that he was going and that I could go and still finish work at the same time as usual. So I registered. Bring on the freebies!! :wari:

greminn
26th March 2009, 15:49
Yep - Just tell them BD says it's OK and everything will be sweet as.

Haha!

I am the boss so i guess it would be cool! I would go if there was one in TGA just for a laugh.. tho i live in the same building i work in, so it would just be an excuse to get on the bike! (Which i dont have an issue with anyway!!) :laugh:

Maybe the welly one is the go then!

BMWST?
26th March 2009, 15:54

ther has been another thread on this

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=94736

cheshirecat
26th March 2009, 15:59
. . . .. Shall I go on?

Yes - (envy coming on), I don't get any of this just traffic lights and chobam drive

Nasty
26th March 2009, 16:00

Yeah two or three weeks ... more than sufficient ;)
Will be a good ride in tomorrow :)

Str8 Jacket
26th March 2009, 16:01
Yeah two or three weeks ... more than sufficient ;)
Will be a good ride in tomorrow :)

There were a shit load of bikes riding South on the motorway as I was going home. I made a point of not waving.

Big Dave
26th March 2009, 17:18
At least it had one day in a section where people look. frown skulk.

See if you can get some quotes for the web site too please Jim.

Gubb
26th March 2009, 17:45
Lame. The only day i'll be commuting via car instead of bike, for 5 months is tomorrow.

Trailering the bike down to Taupo for Moto TT. Does that still count?

Big Dave
26th March 2009, 17:51
Lame. The only day i'll be commuting via car instead of bike, for 5 months is tomorrow.

Trailering the bike down to Taupo for Moto TT. Does that still count?

Trailer f*ggot. :chase:

Gubb
26th March 2009, 17:53
Argh. The shame.

I'll never live it down!

Insanity_rules
26th March 2009, 19:40
I'll be there and I'm bringing some mates too. Got to share the motorcycle goodness. Be good to see you all. The motorway will be carnage tomorrow with bikes by the sounds.

Ms Piggy
27th March 2009, 05:29
Feels like a nice morning...even though it's still dark. See y'all there :chase:

Nasty
27th March 2009, 05:32
Feels like a nice morning...even though it's still dark. See y'all there :chase:

I am up about to shower and head in ... look for me babe!!!

RocKai
27th March 2009, 05:42
Weather says nice, woot, see everyone there. I'm the boy in red lol :D

James Deuce
27th March 2009, 08:00
Nice work people! Good to see a bunch of you there and well done to Wellington's bike shops for stumping up prizes and excellent displays.

Nasty
27th March 2009, 08:08
Hell of a lot of fun .. and great to catch up with everyone!!!!

nudemetalz
27th March 2009, 08:43
Hell of a lot of fun .. and great to catch up with everyone!!!!

Was indeed.
I did enjoy hearing the R1 from TSS get cranked up and revved. Sounded luvvly !!! :drool:
Good to see Aaron Slight doing a speech there.

glegge
27th March 2009, 11:17
Yep, great morning weather wise, good to see so many bikes and variety. great to hear Aaron. nice muffins - all in all a great morning. a nice break from the usuall routine.

Universal48
27th March 2009, 18:36
I didn't attend, but spoke to some that did and said it went off well. It's apparently a trial by MTA with a view to taking it nationally next year.

Nasty
27th March 2009, 18:40
I didn't attend, but spoke to some that did and said it went off well. It's apparently a trial by MTA with a view to taking it nationally next year.

I bumped into the Council Rep at work and he was saying that he anticipates it being an annual event .. which is great!

Ms Piggy
27th March 2009, 18:53
Lovely way to begin the day...catching up with some KBers and ooogling Aaron Slight in his 1 piece leathers :shifty:

sinned
27th March 2009, 20:39
Any one got photos to post?

James Deuce
27th March 2009, 20:45
Check out www.kiwirider.co.nz in the next couple of days.

Universal48
30th March 2009, 11:41
MTA have mounted their Press Release and a range of photos on their site www.mta.org.nz - might be worth looking through there.

Universal48
31st March 2009, 09:43
Try this link - some photos here of the event....
http://www.mta.org.nz/ridetoworkday

Cheers

RocKai
1st April 2009, 23:03
Woo, 2 of mine there. I'm happy chilly chappy :first::niceone:

MTA summary of the day:
http://www.mta.org.nz/rtw-summary

And Photos of the event on bottom of the page.

Ms Piggy
12th April 2009, 17:10
Check out www.kiwirider.co.nz in the next couple of days.

Excuse me Mr Deuce but I haven't been able to find the piccies etc. you took on this website.

Thank you kindly, Ms Piggy

James Deuce
12th April 2009, 17:21
Watch this space.

Str8 Jacket
12th April 2009, 21:20
Watch this space.

A little child still waits, hoping, praying...

James Deuce
16th April 2009, 17:47
Page 11, IN THE MAG!!

Cathy, you sexy star you! :)

Ms Piggy
16th April 2009, 18:51
Page 11, IN THE MAG!!

Cathy, you sexy star you! :)

Eeeeeekkk!! I better go buy me 1 then...thanks, I think :crazy:

James Deuce
16th April 2009, 18:52
I think you'll be rather pleased, as will the bitches. You exude 'tude in that photo.