PDA

View Full Version : suzuki gn250

kmthor
3rd March 2005, 22:26
im looking at getting the a suzuki gn250 can u guys tell me know what u think of this bike
i will be comutting on it about 50km a day
i have been buggering around on my farm bike and desided to get a commuter

km

Blakamin
3rd March 2005, 22:30
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9277

btw... hi

Lee Rusty
3rd March 2005, 22:58
GN's are ok for what you want, they dont set the world on fire but they are a good solid commutor with heaps on the road so pleanty of spares if needed.

THe new ones on the market at the mo are made in China and have a slightly rougher finish than the older Japanese ones but it is not a big worry for the price. They have a good warrenty when brought new.

Go for it

jazbug5
4th March 2005, 00:48
Watch the oil.
Watch the oil.
Watch the oil.
Watch the oil.
Watch the oil.

Jaz

P.S. Also, watch the oil.

crazylittleshit
4th March 2005, 03:39
good reliable bike no thrills.
That's just not what biking is all about. :yeah:

Storm
4th March 2005, 06:04
They'll get you from a to b with no worries.

T.I.E
4th March 2005, 06:45
i have had three and used to travel 50kms one way everyday aswell. i know i didn't learn from the first two. never go over 135kph they drop valves, watch the rear bearing on mtorway speeds, they can't keep it up. burnt mine out enough.

you will get bored with them soon enough would reccomend a 250 twin eg gpx zzr they have more pep and get along alot better. and have a bit more power when needed to overtake something. if anything is going 8okph don't even think about it on a GN

but ya can't argue with the price of a GN they are so cheap to run ( oily rag ) kinda sturdy easy and forgiving. single. a good motor ( yes i know the vavle thing, but there was a reaon) solid preformer.

gav
6th March 2005, 22:06
They'll get you from a to b with no worries.
Auckland to Bluff?

Storm
6th March 2005, 22:25
Asshole to Breakfast even

PS thanks for inspiring my 600th post

moko
6th March 2005, 22:37
Not sure if you get them in N.Z. but for a basic commuter a CB250 (sold as Nighthawk in the U.S.) is a much better bet.Neither will set the world on fire but the Honda`s a lot more comfortable,handles better,goes better and will go on forever if you look after it.Styling`s a matter of personal taste but the CB looks a lot better in my eyes.

Krayy
7th March 2005, 07:47
If you're new to biking, I'd go for a bike like my VTR250. It's got tons of torque and rolls it on nice and smooth so it won't bite you in the ass like the in-line 4's can, and the 2 cylinders give a better cruising feel. As your ability increases, it's great fun on the twisties and should keep you well heeled for a while.

That being said, if I ever move to Pukekohe from Auckland, I'll try to get the wife to let me graduate to a 6 hundy to make the cruise even smoother.

Phill
25th March 2005, 06:54
I've had my GN250 for 13 years now and it is VERY faithful. I've put on about 90,000 kilometers and rebuilt the engine once. It's very simple to maintain. So have you purchased a bike yet?

zooter
26th March 2005, 19:06
I'm riding a loaner GN260 at the moment. I read somewhere you can put regular handlebars on it to sort out the cramped riding positon for nonmidgets. I am seriously too tall for as it is and I'm only 5' 10". Take one for a decent testride before deciding!
There's a pretty well new VTR250 in the KB online trading which is a bargain for someone at 4500 bucks. A real nice ride.