PDA

View Full Version : Changing exhaust systems, ZZR-1100

Malc
4th March 2005, 09:12
Hi all...my 90 ZZR-1100 has a "Devil" 4 into 1 fitted, looks really nice and is reasonably loud. It is stainless, bar the black can.
But.....I want to fit an original system on my bike, so I can have the luxury of a centrestand and a little less public attention..:)
So. I have placed an ad and found a guy who is considering swapping my system for his original, problem is mine is a 1990 C model, and his is a 1995 D model.
Anyone know if they are compatible, i.e bolt straight on?
Thanks for any advice guys, appreciate it!!

sedge
4th March 2005, 18:25
Just curious, and if you don't mind, did you buy that red ZZR with the devil can I've seen around in Wgtn ?

Had very few Ks on it and was in really nice condition.

Sedge.

Malc
4th March 2005, 18:37
Yes I bought that one, it is like new really..had the fairings off today and it's really clean under there too..the system is a bit loud for me..maybe its my age..lol.
Notice you have a later model one..would love to hear yours to see how quiet it is, I've had people tell me mine is quiet but I disagree!!

sedge
4th March 2005, 19:52
I took the one you bought out for a test ride about three or four years ago ! Motorcycle City in Lower Hutt had it for sale for ages, they wanted 10 or 11 for it then so no-one bought it.

It was in awesome condition, heaps of grunt and the Devil sounded great.

I'd keep the Devil, probably no more HP in it as the factory one was pretty efficient, but you lose around 15 kilos of weight off the bike when you go aftermarket and the ZZR is a freaking whale. I'd notice it coz I go over the Paekak hill most nights and more power, less weight = good.

Good on ya getting one, you wont be disappointed. I'm around in Pram a bit if you want to check out the factory exhaust sound, pretty quiet until you get above 7krpm then the airbox and exhaust just sound nice :)

Anyway, send me a PM and you can try it out. Pretty sure the engine and exhaust routing are the same, changes to cosmetics and suspension mostly with the D model.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Malc
5th March 2005, 19:34
Have sent you a PM, be great to hear a standard system.

Actually took the can off to see if there was an option to repack, but seems to be sealed. There is also baffling in the stainless pipe where it joins the can..tried a different helmet today which made things quieter..but have made my mind up to return to original....just need to get brave and ask the price of a complete system at a wrecker. One on TradeMe for $500 reserve, but I'd like to see what I was buying first.

sedge
5th March 2005, 20:21
I'll give you a bell tomorrow if I get a chance and it's fine, might be able to get out for a ride if I'm lucky :)

Ah, you are wearing ear plugs when you ride, aren't you ? Coz you should be.

I say this to heaps of people, if you don't think they make a difference just put one in one ear, ride for an hour or so at 100k and then stop and take it out...

Cheers,

Sedge.

John
5th March 2005, 20:25
I thought you would pick one up from a wrecker resonably priced, I noted no real difference in the ZZR1100 systems they seem the same, if you take the headers and all you should in theory have no problem whatso ever, since the header locations are the same on all of them, maybe you may need to rebolt but it shouldnt be very hard, I think 500$ maybe alittle pricy.. but hey I can only dream of ZZR's.

sedge
5th March 2005, 20:37
You're getting a fair bit of kit when you get a ZZR1100 exhaust... headers, mid pipe, two mufflers... $500 is pretty good for a full system.

Sedge.

John
5th March 2005, 20:40
I have no idea aye, I'm just throwing it together from most wrecked ZZR's I've seen they seem to go pretty cheap I did see a full kit (but not standard) going on trademe for 450$ on trademe awhile ago, but who Knows, I do know however that brand new they cost an arse load.

I mean on my 250 ZZR it was going to cost 1000$ for a new system.

Malc
5th March 2005, 20:43
tomorrow is sposed to be crap weather wise according to teletext..typical!!

Never considered ear plugs actually, I'm single with no woman so don't need em..:)

About to buy a new helmet so hopefully that will quieten things down a little, the one I have seems to have gotten bigger..or else my head is shrinking!!

sedge
5th March 2005, 21:02
[QUOTE=Malc]
Never considered ear plugs actually, I'm single with no woman so don't need em..:)
QUOTE]

Heh heh... With a line like that you're not gonna get one either... I know I sound like an old fart when I talk about earplugs and nothing I say will change most peoples minds. I just don't wanna be a deaf(er) cunt. (I've spent a fair amount of time playing in loud bands without plugs and I'm pretty sure my hearing is half fecked already...)

Sedge.

Malc
5th March 2005, 21:22
Actually, I use earmuffs etc when I'm using the chainsaw etc, just never thought of them with the bike...

I worked in a busy Palmy nightclub for a while and wore them in there, so at least least I have good hearing to compliment my poisoned lungs..:)

Do you wear them on your bike, I mean is the standard system still reasonably loud through the helmet?

As for my woman comment..he he..only in jest, but I'm happy single..don't get me started on women!!!

sedge
5th March 2005, 21:45
Do you wear them on your bike, I mean is the standard system still reasonably loud through the helmet?

It's not the exhaust, it's the wind noise that gets you, If you've done 270 you'll know how frecking noisy it is. Mine is kind of unbearably loud over 200 without plugs (we should have a std disclaimer here, yes officer, on closed roads under adult supervision etc)

Just wear plugs and keep the after market exhaust, you can still hear it with them in but it sounds cool.

Sedge.

Malc
5th March 2005, 22:00
You're right, the wind noise is pretty loud above 140 or so for me, the 270 run was accomplished at one hell of a racket allright..mind you, I was too busy trying to keep the bike in a straight line!! That will be a oncer I think, the bike has gotter bigger balls than I have....just you hear so many stories of these bikes being 300km/h capable straight off the showroom floor so it's almost like a challenge....and the way it accelerates I have no reason to doubt it.
The standard fairing provides no buffeting protection above about 100 either, so I'll be looking at a taller unit if available...
Yes of course the speed run was held under strict, controlled conditions....

Timetogo
7th March 2005, 13:59
If you look at this site you'll soon figure out if the 90 is the same as the 95 system, just check the part numbers
www.buykawasaki.com :niceone:

PSYCHO
7th March 2005, 15:32
Malc, it doesn't matter what helmet you buy, a set of $3 earplugs will be 10 times quieter. :niceone:

Malc
7th March 2005, 16:46
Thanks guys...and Timetogo, great site but unfortunately it dosen't have the ZZR-1100 in there..:)
Thanks for the help anyway..:)
All else failing, I might see about the possibility of getting the can professionally repacked, just to take the edge off the noise!
Cheers again..

WINJA
7th March 2005, 21:20
Hi all...my 90 ZZR-1100 has a "Devil" 4 into 1 fitted, looks really nice and is reasonably loud. It is stainless, bar the black can.
But.....I want to fit an original system on my bike, so I can have the luxury of a centrestand and a little less public attention..:)
So. I have placed an ad and found a guy who is considering swapping my system for his original, problem is mine is a 1990 C model, and his is a 1995 D model.
Anyone know if they are compatible, i.e bolt straight on?
Thanks for any advice guys, appreciate it!!
YOU CAN JUST MOUNT AN OE ZX9 MUFFLER ON THE COLLECTOR. I CAN EMAIL YOU A PIC OF A FLANGE ADAPTER I MADE. THAT WAY YOU CAN EASILY CHANGE BETWEEN THE 2 MUFFLERS ZX9C1 AND OVER MUFFLERS ARE TITANIUM BUT STILL CHEAP

Sniper
8th March 2005, 10:37
Yay, welcome back Winja