PDA

View Full Version : PNG MIME Type

xwhatsit
15th March 2009, 13:54
Herro,

I don't think it's just my browser, but Kiwibiker since forever doesn't handle PNG images properly. Inlining them works fine (HTML img tags etc.) but using them as attachments doesn't display them, only bringing up a box to let them save them to my computer. My browser thinks they're a gzip archive, which is amusing (although pretty accurate, as both gzip and PNG use DEFLATE, which is LZ77 or something...?). I'm too lazy to have done any research but it looks like the MIME type is not being set correctly when serving PNGs on their own :Oops:

Mental Trousers
16th March 2009, 11:57
Stop using IE (seriously)

xwhatsit
16th March 2009, 12:00
Stop using IE (seriously)
Lol it'd be a bit of a hassle trying to set it up in WINE to be honest, unless I used VMWare.

Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.7

tri boy
16th March 2009, 12:38
Papua New Guinea has miming type writers?
The things you never knew, you never knew.:dodge:

Badjelly
16th March 2009, 13:02
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

The image appears in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer, just as Mental-Trousers says.

CookMySock
16th March 2009, 13:22
Lol it'd be a bit of a hassle trying to set it up in WINE to be honest, unless I used VMWare. Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.7Noo theres an installer for that. Install and go - IE on Ubuntu.

Steve

xwhatsit
16th March 2009, 14:10
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

The image appears in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer, just as Mental-Trousers says.
It appears fine. Embedding them using HTML img tags (which is effectively what's happening there automatically) works too.

However, if you do one as an attachment like at the end of the post, you get a little box popping up only giving you the option to save or cancel.

I just noticed that if you click on them normally, they work as expected (because of that gay new lightbox thing this forum does with images). However if you middle-click on them to open them in a new tab (as you should, who wants to look at scaled-down images in a lightbox thingie, I want to open a whole lot at once), then it does this behaviour as attached. Try it with the image I attached -- middle-click on it, or right click "Open in new tab". Or simply click on the lightboxed PNG (so as to open it up full-size) and the same thing will happen.

xwhatsit
16th March 2009, 14:16
Noo theres an installer for that. Install and go - IE on Ubuntu.

Steve
I lied earlier.

Mental Trousers
16th March 2009, 14:29
Lol it'd be a bit of a hassle trying to set it up in WINE to be honest, unless I used VMWare.

Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.7
Hmmm, IE has a well known problem with png's but that's not the problem!!!

Got any addon's? Have you got libpng installed? My Centos/Firefox 3 and Slackware/Firefox 3 installs all work find as does my XP/Firefox.

xwhatsit
16th March 2009, 14:58
Oh how funny. I didn't think it'd be just me. Nothing really in the way of add-ons apart from Adblock.

libpng is there of course (I'd be in all kinds of strife if it wasn't these days).

I just tested it and I'm getting the same incorrect behaviour in Opera as well. And I know it's happened on the uni computers before (Firefox under Windows/Linux/Mac (can't remember which, they triple-boot)).

Skunk
16th March 2009, 15:02
Never noticed before but Omniweb/Mac does the same as Firefox/Ubuntu. It displays PNG fine and lightbox works on most pages.

Does the download thing with Firefox and Safari too.

xwhatsit
17th March 2009, 13:12
Yeah it's doing the same thing on Vista/Firefox 3.0.5 at uni.