PDA

View Full Version : Who can service a Ducati? (Wgtn)

crazefox
15th March 2009, 18:25
I have just scored a 916 duc 96 model with 40kms on it thinking of doing the big service myself any ideas?

Nasty
15th March 2009, 18:27
Speak to wannabiker ... I know he did lots on his.

scracha
15th March 2009, 18:28
I have just scored a 916 duc 96 model with 40kms on it thinking of doing the big service myself any ideas?
Get used to being poor.

98tls
15th March 2009, 18:30
Lot to be said for getting on a bike specific forum mate,generally great advice/help not to mention endless bling at good prices (well when the $ good).Nice bike,enjoy.

Maki
15th March 2009, 18:32
What's a duckthai?

hospitalfood
15th March 2009, 18:42
i say do it yourself. i don't know much about them...?
think the valves will be shimmed so you may need a shim kit.
torque wrench of course.
workshop manual.
you may find that there are step by step instructions on the web so you may not need the manual ?

they are high maintenance so you really have to do it yourself.

i find with my bmw there are lots of older guys who are very helpful.
should all be fine.

crazefox
15th March 2009, 18:50
Speak to wannabiker ... I know he did lots on his.

primo will do

Elysium
15th March 2009, 19:19

Good luck doing it yourself, and I mean that. I recently spoke to people at various bike shops some mntioned the main disadvantage of a Ducati is the bloody cost to maintain them, you have to take it to official Ducati dealers to get work done on them, something about parts, nuts, bolts etc.. being non-standard.

Is it true that at around 20,000K their engines need an over-haul? :scratch:

ntst8
15th March 2009, 19:31
Is it true that at around 20,000K their engines need an over-haul? :scratch:

Every 20,000km they need the cam belts replaced, which is doable for the mechanically competent on the air cooled models at least - i've never looked under the skirts of a water cooled one.
Don't do the belts and the engine may need an overhaul. :crybaby:

AllanB
15th March 2009, 20:33
Don't do the belts and the engine may need an overhaul. :crybaby:

Same shit as the cambelt in your car - they just have 80-100,000 km replacement intervals.

I have often wondered if Ducati make the cambelts 50% wider how much longer would they last?

Actually I don't see why its a big deal changing them - the basics are the same as a car and they are a lot easier to get to!

Good score - post pictures. How long before the repaint?

far queue
15th March 2009, 20:44
I have just scored a 916 duc 96 model with 40kms on it thinking of doing the big service myself any ideas?Good on ya, I'd love a 916. As 98TLS said, get on a Ducati forum you'll get lots of help. There's no reason you can't do the work yourself.

Good luck doing it yourself, and I mean that. I recently spoke to people at various bike shops some mntioned the main disadvantage of a Ducati is the bloody cost to maintain them, you have to take it to official Ducati dealers to get work done on them, something about parts, nuts, bolts etc.. being non-standard.

Is it true that at around 20,000K their engines need an over-haul? :scratch:That's all bullshit, don't believe everything you hear.

98tls
15th March 2009, 21:01
Good on ya, I'd love a 916. As 98TLS said, get on a Ducati forum you'll get lots of help. There's no reason you can't do the work yourself.

That's all bullshit, don't believe everything you hear. Xactly,the great thing about said forums is that every bugger on there is into the same thing and the knowledge is vast,on the TL forum theres step by step pics for even the most basic shit and a great bunch of guys to boot.My old man back in the Bevel drive days was a little involved in the Italian owners thing and whilst there was plenty of cocks there there was also a wealth of knowledge and advice.

Winston001
15th March 2009, 21:11
Here ya go http://www.ducati.ms/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56 Lots of help there and I've seen step by step instructions on doing the valve belts and shims.

Lovely bike the 916. If you don't know it's history it would pay to get a Ducati dealer to do a full service and check it over. It will cost you a $1000 but you can look after it yourself pretty well from then on.

Don't take any notice of the "Ducati are expensive to service" nonsense. It was true of the older ones but the newer bikes are fine, plus there are more of them around so mechanics are familiar with them.

Enjoy!! :niceone:

LBD
16th March 2009, 03:55

Got a good run from my 916 monster, slightly lower tune, but similar. left the valve sets to the experts, the rest my self, nothing a some what capable spanner man cannot do himself.

johan
16th March 2009, 08:32
I would suggest you get the DesmoTimes service manual, and maybe the Haynes as well. Or borrow mine!

As said before, let the shop do the valve check, but strip the bike your self to save $$.
When doing the valve check, the cams should be taken off to inspect the rocker arms. At 40kms (thousand?) I would be a little concerned.

crazefox
16th March 2009, 16:36
I would suggest you get the DesmoTimes service manual, and maybe the Haynes as well. Or borrow mine!

As said before, let the shop do the valve check, but strip the bike your self to save $$.
When doing the valve check, the cams should be taken off to inspect the rocker arms. At 40kms (thousand?) I would be a little concerned.

awsome cheers man

glice
16th March 2009, 20:26
I just got a 748 and am going to try do as much as I can myself. I have a full manul if you want one.
Dont listen to service is expensive crap, yes it is a little more but I looked into it and its not much more than a jappa.

mikeey01
16th March 2009, 21:02

Best advise right there!
Desmo times manual is great.
The only thing I'll add, try and find a service manual, handy torque settings and other important stuff like that.

The 2v are easy, the 4v just a few more of em :)

McJim
16th March 2009, 21:10
I'm happy with my 2V - parts are waaaaay cheaper than for my Honda VTR250 and the service intervals are simply huge.

every 10,000km check the valve clearances change the oil and change the oil filter, every 20,000km change the belts.

As for the rest of it, it's exactly the same as a jappa - check the fork oil, seals, air filter, hydraulic fluids, change tyres, brake pads..bearings are as good as any jappa.

I still have no idea where this expensive Ducati servicing myth originated from. Prolly some disgruntled jappa owner who got sick when he saw character, performance AND trouble free riding being enjoyed by the Ducatisti! :rofl:

cs363
16th March 2009, 22:34
What's a duckthai?

Here's a little one:

http://www.littleduck.net/ :whistle:

AllanB
17th March 2009, 09:21
I still have no idea where this expensive Ducati servicing myth originated from.

Probably from the 1980's when reliability was not as good as it it now, plus there was that whole 'exotic' charge added on to the service!

I find it interesting that Ducati has set 10,000 km service intervals internationally yet the big Japanese dealers are clinging to 6k in NZ. My Hornets manual clearly states oil/filter at 12,000 intervals (8,000 miles in the USA). I asked Honda about this and they confirmed that for warranty purposes you only need to get serviced every 12,000. Shops like to do them at 6.... (personally I do a clean oil/filter at 6k as I'm fussy).

Working on this theory the Ducati & Honda have a basic service at 10-12k - oil/filter and plug check. And a big service, at 20/24 - valve gear etc. Dollar for dollar, servicing is probably very similar on new models.

Of course the Honda will last longer........:2thumbsup :girlfight:

(I had too.......)

Burtha
17th March 2009, 13:23
I know there's a chap called AB's motorcycles in Nelson who only deals in ducati. Dunno if he's in the yellowpages - but might be worth a chat if ya need to.

johan
17th March 2009, 13:31
I know there's a chap called AB's motorcycles in Nelson who only deals in ducati. Dunno if he's in the yellowpages - but might be worth a chat if ya need to.

Yellow pages? That's last century. :Pokey:

Here:
http://www.absmotorcycles.co.nz/

Burtha
17th March 2009, 13:58
Yellow pages? That's last century. :Pokey:

Think your soooo clever ! :girlfight:

http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Motorcycles-&-Scooters/AB-s-Motorcycles-Service-&-Repairs/100702279_1187.html

:bleh:

glice
17th March 2009, 14:36
Best advise right there!
Desmo times manual is great.
The only thing I'll add, try and find a service manual, handy torque settings and other important stuff like that.

The 2v are easy, the 4v just a few more of em :)

where can you get the desmo times?

johan
17th March 2009, 14:50
There's one on trademe, be quick!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Manuals-magazines/auction-207605280.htm

LT Snyder is running DesmoTimes. A great resource for tools and parts.

http://www.desmotimes.com/

peasea
17th March 2009, 16:41
awsome cheers man

What johan says is quite right. With a couple of good manuals, some quality tools (don't buy cheapies) and some patience you can go far. I have added special tools to my collection as time has gone by and saved a bundle of cash that can be used for such niceties as petrol.

Whenever you play with internal parts, keep everything as clean as possible; after initially washing parts I find a final squirt of 'Brakleen' works wonders. It evaporates totally, leaving no residue. Would you believe it? It even works on brake parts! (Good for cleaning nooks and crannies too.)

Read up, use the right tools and enjoy!

Winston001
19th March 2009, 11:52
You might be able to find a PDF download of the Desmotimes manual if you do enough searches. Just had a go but nothing immediately came up.

Having said that, the Desmotimes guys are enthusiasts and deserve support. Highly regarded in the Ducati community. That Trademe auction looks like someone has got the manual, photocopied it, and now making money by selling copies and effectively ripping off Desmotimes. For that reason I wouldn't bid on that auction.

Insanity_rules
19th March 2009, 19:23
Oh thank F! I was reading this post and starting to worry. I just bought a 97 400ss yesterday. Totally rapt with it and once the warranty runs out I'm going to turn my own spanner on it but want to learn more about it.