PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads

krasher
16th March 2009, 08:42
So...I got my front brake pads from trademe. Possible not a smart idea.

They are SSPITSTOP branded. Anyone heard of them? Any good?

B0000M
16th March 2009, 08:53
never heard of them. let us know how they go.

i had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago

krasher
17th March 2009, 11:12
I have them in. They fit, and the work (in a short test) 100x better than my old oily old almost run out ones. Not saying much really. But they do work. I'll post again after a decent ride and let you know. I don't ride hard enough to know if they will fade or not, and time will only tell if they are chewing away at my disc.

$15 inc postage is pretty cheap.

Sammikins
17th March 2009, 11:51
don't worry about brakepads, just use your feet.... :headbang:

krasher
17th March 2009, 12:09
Better than using my face I suppose :shit:

GaZBur
17th March 2009, 12:24
I have just put a set in to try. They were incredibly cheap and I had bought them ages ago before I decided to go motarding. They look ok and appear to be sintered(is that the correct term?)and have plenty of bite but will find out how good on Sunday after a session at the Kart track which is harder on brakes than a regular roadrace circuit. I also have a genuine Suzuki set in the spares box in case they cant take the heat. So far I can tell you the breaking power is fine, but no idea yet on lasting ablity.

krasher
17th March 2009, 13:52
Excellent. Keep us posted. Sometimes more $ doesn't mean more quality.

GaZBur
25th March 2009, 07:39
Tried these out on Sunday at the Kart track. I had a new set in the front and a set of these has been on the rear for a while. Racing was cancelled due to rain but we had practice and when the track dried we were hammering hard.
OK the brakes got a toastin - i mean real hot.
The front worked well, plenty of grip and feel, no difference in performance I could tell from cold to frying hot.
The back worked but when they got too hot they seemed to fade. This turned out to be a powder coating the disk itself. Wipe it off and they were great again. So I suspect the powder is the pads wearing and there being no breeze over the back to keep it clean like the front. I have never noticed this when commuting and road riding and racing(full size track) previously only at the very tight Kart track.
So they work well overall but I suspect if you are hard on brakes they may not wear as well as others, but they certainly are value for money.
I will probably be buying them again as I go through a couple of sets of pads a year but may go back to original pads for the rear.

krasher
25th March 2009, 16:52
Good to hear!

Had a ride on mine at the track up at the Dome. Found them good. No probs at all, but I have nothing to compare them to. They stop better than the old ones.