PDA

View Full Version : WOF stipulations for light lens?

Funkyfly
4th March 2005, 18:37
I was recently failed for a WOF because my taillight lens didnt have a stamp or bunch of numbers on it, talking to a friend he was told by a different WOF inspector that this in no longer a requirement.

Anyone have any info?

FROSTY
4th March 2005, 18:44
Theyre changing the law so all lights on a vehicle have to meet international standards. So pretty soon aftermarket indicator lenses wont get a WOF
That is unless they have a standard mark stamped on em

Funkyfly
4th March 2005, 18:47
Theyre changing the law so all lights on a vehicle have to meet international standards. So pretty soon aftermarket indicator lenses wont get a WOF
That is unless they have a standard mark stamped on em

So its not required at the moment?

My mate was told that it was required but recent papers have come thru that dismiss the need for standards markings.

The guy he was talking to works for Phil Turnbul motorcycles in PN. I will have to ring him next week as he said if i have anymore trouble he will fax me this info.

Holy Roller
4th March 2005, 18:52
Change where you get your WOF.
Other places may overlook looking at the lens to find a number.

Funkyfly
4th March 2005, 18:56
Change where you get your WOF.
Other places may overlook looking at the lens to find a number.

Heh, The guy that failed me told me to go to a low volume cert guy to get the light certed, when i did the cert guy said "thats silly, go to a testing station, you will go straight thru"

By the way it was a bike shop that failed me.

FROSTY
4th March 2005, 19:13
give my mate a call tomorrow--Alex --09 4168932 hes a low vol certifier for bikes--He can tell ya about the law as it stands

inlinefour
4th March 2005, 19:19
I do not even want to consider what wanker without any common sense can come out with after hearing this. There surely comes a time when people should be able to say enough. Many after market parts are just as good if not better that the original parts :angry2:

FROSTY
4th March 2005, 19:29
Its a bit like the debate about braided lines really.
What the guys seem to be saying is -Yoyur lenses are as good at stock lenses are they? So PROVE IT - The way to prove it is to get that little number on the lens.
They aint just pickin on bikes actually to tell the truth we are a bit of an afterthought.
Theyre aiming at the cheap tailights on some cars--faded to white and potentially blinding drivers folowwing

Motu
4th March 2005, 19:33
I've said this all before,before,maybe I'll say it again,again....All lamps,after a certain year,but forget that bit coz it's awhile ago,have to have a standards marking,most commonly an ''E'' mark will do.Checking every single lamp,and seatbelt,and tyre,and every window for standards markings was not really possible for the inspectors in the time frame they are given by LTSA...so a couple of years ago the wording disapeared from the VIRM,now they only have to check standards markings if they suspect they might not comply.So if it ''doesn't look right'' they will look closer and apply the rule.If your tail lamp doesn't comply that's the end of the story - but if another inspector is not onto it that your lamp is illeagal,then it will get through.

Shut up you WINGA and get a tail lamp that complies.

FROSTY
4th March 2005, 19:37
MOTU actually mate i was talking to Alex about just this a couple of days ago. -seems theres gonna be a big shake up re standards marks on lenses
I thought maybee it had already started

Motu
4th March 2005, 19:57
I continualy repeat myself here - maybe I should start a WoF thread.On monday morning the WoF site had a notice that new lighting regs were applied on 27th Feb...and we were to get an updated VIRM on the 1st march,it hasn't arrived yet...and we are told to continue with the old regs until 1st april.Checked my box tonight,still no info....the online VIRM has disapeared.

I know nuffing!

sedge
4th March 2005, 20:00
Yup...

You know that the little bit of reflective crap on the back of your bike needs to be E or DOT marked for a WOF ? You can't just use reflective tape, but you need a $15 peice of DOT tape and a platic holder for it ! Man, someone is making a shite load of money somewhere.

I'm assuming WOF law maker has a cousin who owns a tape and plastic factory.

I guess it's to catch out the lucrative sub standard reflective tape industry.

Sedge.

FROSTY
4th March 2005, 20:04
yea dude--sounds like them -don't even tell the guys who enforce the law

sAsLEX
4th March 2005, 20:13
yea dude--sounds like them -don't even tell the guys who enforce the law

now thats just too god damned logical Frosty!!!!! So how much does a low volume cert cost for a custom rear light?? Looking at making up a LED cluster with a clear lens, or I suppose whats the markings it needs?? Could just put them on with some vivid!

Motu
4th March 2005, 20:31
This sorta stuff goes back years n years n years - when I was a young fulla the coolest of the cool things to have was a tiger head tail lamp lens on the back of your British bike...instead of the standard Lucas lens there was a lens in the shape of a tigers head - OH! cool eh! They didn't have a reflector built in like the Lucas lens,but nobody really cared or bothered - but Mr Weston-Webb did! He made us fit a reflector,but with our stripped down bikes there was nowhere to mount a reflector.You never saw Weston-Webb...till you rolled up for a Wof,then he came out and you knew you were done for.

Hey...I got through it ok,didn't damage me for life....or did it??

pete376403
4th March 2005, 20:37
With Lucas electrics the reflector was a life saver. When the tail light crapped out one night, as it invariably did, the reflector was all that stood between you and some arsehole car driver. Unless said car driver saw the reflection of all the chrome studs in you leather jacket.
Not for nothing did the old phrase go "Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness"

inlinefour
5th March 2005, 06:35
But if a lense if failed because it has no "stamp" on it but still is as good as the original part I do no. If the lense i missing a reflective component then yes fair enough. However I've just checked some of the other bikes for aftermarket lenses. My CB400f2 has all original parts. The aftermarket lenses I looked at all had the standard marking on them. Hence I suspect that they will not be effected by the new WOF ruling. :yeah:

Funkyfly
5th March 2005, 06:54
I continualy repeat myself here - maybe I should start a WoF thread.On monday morning the WoF site had a notice that new lighting regs were applied on 27th Feb...and we were to get an updated VIRM on the 1st march,it hasn't arrived yet...and we are told to continue with the old regs until 1st april.Checked my box tonight,still no info....the online VIRM has disapeared.

I know nuffing!

I will get the info from this Turnbulls guy, i just going by word of mouth here.

"WINGA" ? if you knew the details you might be surprised, anyhow DICKHEAD thanks for the reply.

Motu
5th March 2005, 10:51
No probs fucktard.

Funkyfly
5th March 2005, 11:55
No probs fucktard.

Nice one, well done.

Motu
5th March 2005, 12:10
What?? no bites? you are learning little one...

Jackrat
5th March 2005, 12:34
With Lucas electrics the reflector was a life saver. When the tail light crapped out one night, as it invariably did, the reflector was all that stood between you and some arsehole car driver. Unless said car driver saw the reflection of all the chrome studs in you leather jacket.
Not for nothing did the old phrase go "Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness"

Actualy none of my Triumphs ever had any electical problems that didn't start because of something I did.
Four of em' an never a blown light.
Carb's on the other hand were a Ferking nightmare.
Anyway back to the subject at hand.
I take my bike to a guy that asks me if the verious bits work,I say yes an he gives me a warrent.
I know my brake lines,exhaust,taillight would fail at a Gov't MOT station so I just don't go to them.
To easy really.