PDA

View Full Version : Mr Motorcycles Naike trail Ride this Sunday (22nd)

scott411
18th March 2009, 10:08
Held of SH22 Papepe,

map: http://www.wises.co.nz/l/Waikato/Pepepe/Pepepe/

Fees, More information, here - http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/trailrideseries08-09.pdf

it will start on Stuart Eyre's property, (same property as first Bel-ray Cross Country)

should be an awesome loop, will be marking out friday and will update you on track on firday evening,

Scott

xen
18th March 2009, 11:30
Interesting, can you tell us more what the track will be like, any good steep bits?

LittleJohn
18th March 2009, 12:39
:weep: I'm working on Sunday :baby:

oldskool
18th March 2009, 12:42
:weep: I'm working on Sunday :baby:
I'm kinda keen on doing this one, if I do I won't be able to ride with yah on Saturday. If I decide to go, any chance on borrowing your trailer so I can take the XR to it as well?

LittleJohn
18th March 2009, 13:05
Could do maybe, will have to discuss with wifee tonight.

oldskool
18th March 2009, 13:09
Could do maybe, will have to discuss with wifee tonight.
Hey I know! You could start work a bit later (you've done it before :shifty:) and do this ride instead of the sandpit on Sat! Wow brilliant!!! what a cunning stroke of genius! :eek:

LittleJohn
18th March 2009, 13:40
But I'm the only one there............ Thinking of maybe saying I cannot work on the Sunday...... have to talk to wifee

oldskool
18th March 2009, 13:45
But I'm the only one there............ Thinking of maybe saying I cannot work on the Sunday...... have to talk to wifee
Mention having to talk to wifee 3 times on here (in the same thread) and she can't refuse

...works for Austin Powers! :niceone:

LittleJohn
18th March 2009, 13:59
Mention having to talk to wifee 3 times on here (in the same thread) and she can't refuse

...works for Austin Powers! :niceone:

No luck, forgot the kids had a birthday party on the Sunday....

Reckless
18th March 2009, 14:48
Bloody heck that came around quick! The bikes all fixed up but my thumb is still a bit sore after my spill on the beach run.
Barty, Rupe, Cheese, you guys goin?? If you are I'll have to give it a go, I hope! Only 30k loops so I can just do two if I have to whimp out!!

krad_nz
18th March 2009, 15:17
Punch and I are planning on doing this. Need to find any problems on her new bike before Tussock Buster the next weekend.

cheese
18th March 2009, 15:26
Bloody heck that came around quick! The bikes all fixed up but my thumb is still a bit sore after my spill on the beach run.
Barty, Rupe, Cheese, you guys goin?? If you are I'll have to give it a go, I hope! Only 30k loops so I can just do two if I have to whimp out!!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to China on the 28th so I want to spend my last weekend before I head off with the family. Plus got to sort out shit for Jacks first birthday which is the day after i get back from China.

scott411
18th March 2009, 15:32
Interesting, can you tell us more what the track will be like, any good steep bits?

Track will be rolling to steep, similar if not a bit harder than the beach run,

have talked to the farmer today and we are going to have an approx 3-4 km learners loop for the better kids and adults who are very novice, similar if not a bit longer than wairamarma, as well as a pee wee very easy loop,

Scott

oldskool
18th March 2009, 16:04
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to China on the 28th so I want to spend my last weekend before I head off with the family. Plus got to sort out shit for Jacks first birthday which is the day after i get back from China.
Remember it's my barfday when you return too and I am looking forward to a portable SD video recorder! :banana::2thumbsup

cheese
18th March 2009, 16:24
I'll email you the prices.

flyingcr250
18th March 2009, 16:25
Remember it's my barfday when you return too and I am looking forward to a portable SD video recorder! :banana::2thumbsup

if i finish my forks on saturday ill be there, havnt done a farm ride for a while.

oldskool
18th March 2009, 16:26
Punch and I are planning on doing this. Need to find any problems on her new bike before Tussock Buster the next weekend.
Hey awesome, good to hear you're gonna make it down to Tussock Buster. Have you got confirmation yet (I haven't), and how did you manage to pay without a cheque?

noobi
18th March 2009, 16:29
Hey awesome, good to hear you're gonna make it down to Tussock Buster. Have you got confirmation yet (I haven't), and how did you manage to pay without a cheque?

when did you send your form off?
i sent mine by fastpost last thursday and got confirmation on tuesday
it also doesnt say if you have qualified for pre entry or not

krad_nz
18th March 2009, 16:32

We are just going to pay on the day. Fingers crossed that works out ok. :)

oldskool
18th March 2009, 16:35
We are just going to pay on the day. Fingers crossed that works out ok. :)
Should be okay, do you want us to peg out a camp spot for yah?

Reckless
18th March 2009, 17:10
Thanks for the offer

Too Bad mate that CR needs more riding!

Ok thats one my mates out Me and my son in, so might be a similar team to the beach run if Barty and Rupcoop go!
We'll suss out a place to meet on the way if there is enough of you guys coming!

Krad you could meet us in East Tamaki??

krad_nz
18th March 2009, 17:20
Should be okay, do you want us to peg out a camp spot for yah?

We are planning on leaving Friday around 1-2 ish, so should be able to get a resonable spot. When are you guys heading down? If you're going earlier pegging out a spot would be sweet!

krad_nz
18th March 2009, 17:21
Krad you could meet us in East Tamaki??

Yeah could do. Recently moved to Panmure actually :P

cheese
18th March 2009, 18:38
Too Bad mate that CR needs more riding!

Yeah I know. Work work work......

oldskool
18th March 2009, 19:15
No luck, forgot the kids had a birthday party on the Sunday....

:gob: You forgot your kids birthday party!!! :shutup: OMG you'd have a lot of brownie points to make up now wouldn't you?

if i finish my forks on saturday ill be there, havnt done a farm ride for a while.

I just remembered I am meant to run with the kids on their shore to shore starting in Taka's. This might be tight, run 5 km's at 9am then dash off to pee-a-peepee or whatever the place is called arriving by around 11:30? Would it be worth it?

We are planning on leaving Friday around 1-2 ish, so should be able to get a resonable spot. When are you guys heading down? If you're going earlier pegging out a spot would be sweet!

We're planning to leave with the trailers at around 3ish I think, picking up norbet on the way through. But LittleJohn's missus and sis are heading off earlier to pitch tents. You'll probably be there and pegging out around the same time as them.

when did you send your form off?
i sent mine by fastpost last thursday and got confirmation on tuesday
it also doesnt say if you have qualified for pre entry or not

Last tuesday, I've just sent off an email enquiring about it.

flyingcr250
18th March 2009, 19:25
im trying to get some time off work on the friday so i can head down about 1 or 2, get a good spot :Punk:

D dub
18th March 2009, 19:31
Track will be rolling to steep, similar if not a bit harder than the beach run,

have talked to the farmer today and we are going to have an approx 3-4 km learners loop for the better kids and adults who are very novice, similar if not a bit longer than wairamarama, as well as a pee wee very easy loop,

Scott

Great news as this is something that is missing from most rides and just what my son needs!!!
Keep up the good work Scott!

SpikedPunch
18th March 2009, 20:26
Yup, looking forward to it, hopefully bike behaves itself and doesn't end up like the last MM ride I attempted on the dr-z :shit:
So if all goes well, see you fullas at tussock buster....:2thumbsup

oldskool
19th March 2009, 09:55
Looks like I wont be going to this one

xxblackbirdxx
20th March 2009, 16:30
looks like i will be going to this one

scott411
20th March 2009, 17:00
Just got back from Naike, track is really awesome, with all the a loops the track is just on 40km, and if you take the B Loops about 32km, quite a bit of the bel-ray track from last year, bit of everything from steep to rolling, should be some fun in it for everyone,

also a 5km junior track that should easy the use of the mini track,

MB1
21st March 2009, 11:21
Sounds good, the MM rides have always been really enjoyable and I'm sure this one will be no exception and have something for everyone. We'll be there for sure.

oldguy
21st March 2009, 19:52
If I can get out of bed early enough in the morning Im in, Just got back from the Coast to Coast charity ride, man I'm stuffed.

flyingcr250
22nd March 2009, 15:48
what an awesome ride today. up hills, down hills, bush, DUST. it had it all, track wasnt marked the best in some spots, but 6 u-turns later i soon found my way. one of the better farm rides around. :eek::2guns:

jt119
22nd March 2009, 16:36
what an awesome ride today. up hills, down hills, bush, DUST. it had it all, track wasnt marked the best in some spots, but 6 u-turns later i soon found my way. one of the better farm rides around. :eek::2guns:lol.thought.that.was.just.you.waiting. on.me.that.first.loop.was.fun.no.dust

oldguy
22nd March 2009, 17:00
Well i managed to make the ride, cheers Scott and all involved, enjoyed myself. Only did one loop, spun the bike around on one of the down hills stuck me left foot out to save it, end up stretching my hamstring, so flagged doing another loop.

SpikedPunch
22nd March 2009, 18:45
Well, I am just terrible at downhills and these sorts of rides, but I'm glad I gave it a go at least. I was awful on that big clay downhill with the little creek at the bottom, tried to ride down, stalled, lost my nerve and followed the lead of the girl behind me and walked it down. lol, for shame :o Was nice to have a partner in crime/shame tho, hah. (I then went for a swim in the creek at the bottom...ah, insult to injury.)
Probably just need to do more rides like this and get my confidence up. Was also a bit strange riding on terrain I'm not used to on a bike I'm not used to.
...Liked the bush bits tho :p!

flyingcr250
22nd March 2009, 19:01
Well, I am just terrible at downhills and these sorts of rides, but I'm glad I gave it a go at least. I was awful on that big clay downhill with the little creek at the bottom, tried to ride down, stalled, lost my nerve and followed the lead of the girl behind me and walked it down. lol, for shame :o Was nice to have a partner in crime/shame tho, hah. (I then went for a swim in the creek at the bottom...ah, insult to injury.)
Probably just need to do more rides like this and get my confidence up. Was also a bit strange riding on terrain I'm not used to on a bike I'm not used to.

yea that up hill after the first creek was a bit tricky, huge backlog. some girl told me to go around the side of the creek, but i said f**k that shit :headbang: and went straight up the middle giving every one waiting a refreshing clay and stone shower. lol

camchain
22nd March 2009, 19:15
A big thanks once again to Scott and team. Double thanks for letting me slip in for another round at at end, I think that might have been you on the RMZ Scott? I had a crappy week and really needed the full ride fix. Loved that forest section. Gave myself a nice fast feet up slideways fright in there.

scott411
22nd March 2009, 19:27
yeah that was me on the RMZ, no probs, you did not look like you would hold us up,

great day, very few injuries which is good after waikaertu, 450 riders, track has something for everyone, could not avoid the big clay downhill with out putting in about 4 km of gravel road in the track which no one enjoys,

krad_nz
22nd March 2009, 19:34
I liked this ride. I think having some tricky downhills and river crossings improves your riding in the long run. Better than gravel roads Scott! So well done there :)

My bars started to jiggle loose in the end, made steering vague feeling at best.

Reckless
22nd March 2009, 20:26
Was a good ride although only did two A loop laps as my thumb is still sore from the last one and we arrived a bit late, bloody Navman!!. Feel I cheated myself out of another lap or 2 though as we left at 2ish but oh well I wanted to be fit for Ardmore on Wednesday.
Good Coarse Scott nothing to difficult but a really good fun ride.
Love what your doing with the learners and kids tracks as well!!!

oldguy
22nd March 2009, 20:42
well done, there's no shame in getting of and walking down. that creek crossing. I just look at where I want to exit the creek, so when the front wheel hits the water I gunned it, was up and out got half way up the hill toward the gate and stalled it:doh:it was harder trying to start and take of from than cross the creek.

jt119
22nd March 2009, 20:48
big.thumbs.up.scott.that.was.the.first.trail.ride. ive.done.and.would.have.to.be.one.of.the.best.days .riding.ive.had.this.year.scuffed.me.new.boots.to

Reckless
22nd March 2009, 20:54
LOL!! I was lucky made it through both times ok! Although there where a few tha didn't hit the far bank hard enough.
The bigest mstake most seemed to make was giving it far to much gas after they got over the lip, wheel spinning and loosong all traction.

Spike mate, there's only one way to get down hills like that mate thats Standing! Practice it on the not so steep ones.
Try doing a google for dirt wise 1 torrent its very good! If you can't find it Pm me.

SpikedPunch
22nd March 2009, 21:19
I did stand on some of the less steep/more visible downhills, it feels way better but I just lost my nerve on that one :o. Is dirt wise the one with 'watsy'? Good vid but all the guys talking about what a great guy watsy is and how cool he is are kind of annoying :p

Reckless
22nd March 2009, 21:25
We should be more bloody organised and all meet up!!!
I'm sure some of the guys could teach me some stuff, reckon we'd all benifit!!
Mind you I didn't even put up the KB flag, I was over by the Kids track.
So I can talk LOL!!!

SpikedPunch
23rd March 2009, 22:34
Here's a couple pics on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36632338@N07/

Brian d marge
23rd March 2009, 22:37
I swear blind that trail ride stuuf would take off here in Nippon ... I am envious ......

Stephen

krad_nz
23rd March 2009, 22:59

I demand high quality pics. The great unwashed have spoken! :shutup:

SpikedPunch
23rd March 2009, 23:02
I demand high quality pics. The great unwashed have spoken! :shutup:

Click 'all sizes' and 'download the large size' if you want hi res:woohoo: Rightyo, night then :yawn:
Edit: Ohm flickr still compresses them. Bummer. Well that's he best I can do for now :p

camchain
24th March 2009, 00:30
Don't be so hard on yourself SpikedPunch. Bull-dogging your bike down a steep bit is a useful thing to have in your bag of tricks as well. I find steep stuff is a bit less daunting if you just focus a bit more on the surface your riding on, not the angle it's on.

Reckless
24th March 2009, 09:53
Don't be so hard on yourself SpikedPunch. Bull-dogging your bike down a steep bit is a useful thing to have in your bag of tricks as well. I find steep stuff is a bit less daunting if you just focus a bit more on the surface your riding on, not the angle it's on.

Yep! mate of mine said to me one day (and he's really fast) "a hill is just a flat on an angle", and you should treat it so? Not easy to do, but he was bloody fast down hills! He also said for hills, 3 things. Stand, drag the back wheel a bit like ABS (to keep the bike straight), use the front brake to control speed. Hehe easy to preach though, not so easy in practice!

SpikedPunch
24th March 2009, 11:08
Yep! mate of mine said to me one day (and he's really fast) "a hill is just a flat on an angle", and you should treat it so? Not easy to do, but he was bloody fast down hills! He also said for hills, 3 things. Stand, drag the back wheel a bit like ABS (to keep the bike straight), use the front brake to control speed. Hehe easy to preach though, not so easy in practice!
That is a good way to think of it I think - don't know how much it'll help when I'm staring down the abyss ;) but it makes sense. It's easy to feel like you're out of control or going too fast down a hill, but really I'd be going faster than that if I were on a flattie anyway I suppose. Krad put it well when he told me I'll just have to go back next year and beat it :) - Of course by then I'll be so good I'll be wheelying down it while doing my makeup and taking pix for facebook...;)

Reckless
24th March 2009, 14:53
Of course by then I'll be so good I'll be wheelying down it while doing my makeup and taking pix for facebook...;)

Haha!! Yeh you go girl!!

oldguy
24th March 2009, 15:44
Nice pics:niceone:the thing with photos is its hard to do justice to the steepness of that hill.
I was going to take some pics on my second loop, but after I stretched my hammy, flagged doing another, trouble with being old and unfit:argh:

camchain
24th March 2009, 21:30
[QUOTE "a hill is just a flat on an angle"[/QUOTE]

A bit more downhill pace/confidence is something I've been working on for a while and that's exactly the sentence I've been using to reprogram the subconscious a bit. It works so well it's almost weird. You can virtually see the downwards angle start levelling out once you scan and break it down like any other section of track.

Edit: Just occurred to me after thinking about above post (although pics in question not a perfect example), that the camera effect where hills never look anywhere near as steep is quite close to how a downhill looks when above 'mind' technique is working nicely. Might be something to do with the narrower field of view, which I guess possibly explains both things(?)

Reckless
24th March 2009, 21:39
[QUOTE "a hill is just a flat on an angle"

A bit more downhill pace/confidence is something I've been working on for a while and that's exactly the sentence I've been using to reprogram the subconscious a bit. It works so well it's almost weird. You can virtually see the downwards angle start levelling out once you scan and break it down like any other section of track.

Till you fall off and watch the bike endo down the hill LOL!!!!!! :bleh: :chase:

Latte
24th March 2009, 22:06
I don't know if the same applies to dirtbikes, but I overheard an MTB clinic coach says it's easier to go down a steep hill fast than slow , but some other advice which sounds relevant .....keep "loose" ( locked arms and death gripping is a sure fire way to endo) and keep low and back before you start going down the hill as it sets you up better and will keep the weight on your legs instead of your arms.

krad_nz
24th March 2009, 22:10
Yeah its easier to go down a steep hill faster than slow... if there is run off. If however there is a hair pin at the bottom well it needs to be a controlled decent.

Imagine the carnage on that hill if it had been wet!?

krad_nz
24th March 2009, 22:11
Nice pics:niceone:the thing with photos is its hard to do justice to the steepness of that hill.
I was going to take some pics on my second loop, but after I stretched my hammy, flagged doing another, trouble with being old and unfit:argh:

I remember seeing a guy, possibly you, hobbling about just after the first little stream crossing? I think you were wearing some sort of blue/white get up?

Latte
24th March 2009, 22:22
Yeah its easier to go down a steep hill faster than slow... if there is run off. If however there is a hair pin at the bottom well it needs to be a controlled decent.

Imagine the carnage on that hill if it had been wet!?

Yep you are right there, there is definitely a "too fast" as well as a "too slow". - I guess I missed that point out :whistle:

But I do feel if your all tense, arms locked, weight forward you are just as out of control. You wouldn't ride on the flat like that, and you wouldnt ride up a hill leaning all the way back.

krad_nz
24th March 2009, 22:26
Yup, thats definetly true. Wish I did that though :)

camchain
24th March 2009, 22:33
Till you fall off and watch the bike endo down the hill LOL!!!!!! :bleh: :chase:

Ha ha. 'Flat hill' trick isn't a 'one size fits all' or magic bullet deal that's for sure. Was also going to quote spiked punch: "It's easy to feel like you're out of control or going too fast down a hill" - and add - it's easy to feel like that by actually going too fast etc.lol know that feeling quite well. Enough to make the mascara(sp?) run a bit.

oldguy
25th March 2009, 07:04
I remember seeing a guy, possibly you, hobbling about just after the first little stream crossing? I think you were wearing some sort of blue/white get up?
na i spun it on a grassy downhill, just before the forest section, I wear black and grey Fly gear. got a blue helmet though.
I did have an of on the little A loop the other side of the forest section took the wrong line down the track towards the the big rocks drop it, just not thinking:doh: end up with a sore knee, on the return back up the hill their is a tight left hand turn then up a steep short climb, it must have looked so funny
as I gunned it to go up I was pretty much doing the Superman but lying on top of my bike just trying to stay on:laugh:

Crisis management
25th March 2009, 08:18
Reading about everyones downhill dilemas got me thinking about how I deal with them (or not), general disclaimer applies here: I'm reasonably new to off road and get passed by everyone......
I like Camchains idea of a flat on the angle, I'm not sure I can convince my brain of that, I'll get back to you on that one after the weekend.

Basics: Downhill the bike has the front end loaded up which compresses the forks, reduces the trail and makes the front end want to tank slap, tuck under and generally spit you off. To reduce this you have to get the weight off the front by moving your body weight rearwards and using the rear brake to compress the rear suspension.

So.... Stance: The same as for braking...standing with your arse as far back and low as possible, just about touching the rear guard.

Rear braking: This will compress the rear suspension slightly keeping the front suspension extended as much as possible and, more importantly will keep the rear wheel behind the front wheel. I have trouble regulating the rear brake and end up locking the wheel at times so be prepared to use the clutch so you don't stall. I do use engine braking (yes, it works even on a 2 stroke) so select a useful gear and, on a horrible slope, I have used the kill switch to stop the engine and use the engine being driven by the rear wheel as a brake...very effective too!

Front braking: This is the one that will stop you...apply the rear brake first, then the front, slowly and progressively to avoid compressing the forks or locking the front wheel. Practise on the flat first...a good way to do this is to find a loose surface (gravel is good) ride in first or second with a constant throttle and apply the front brake. With practice you will be able to take the front wheel to the point of locking and be able to apply and release the brake, feeling the wheel getting to the point of lock up and being able to release it enough to avoid the lock up and maintain braking force.
Apply this to downhills and you will find you have control of your speed.

Choose where you brake! Most hills have steep bits and not so steep bits, let the bike run over the steep bits and brake on the less steep bits, you don't need much space to slow the bike down considerably.

Speed: As much as you can convince yourself of...like any off road surface speed gets you over stuff smoothly and lets you readily use balance to steer the bike. Once you can trust your braking you can carry more speed so practise the stopping bits first.

Thats about it, anyone got any suggestions?

scott411
25th March 2009, 09:19
that is a pretty good summary of what to do, the main thing is to stand up, that will make it easier, you should stand most of the tricky bits in a ride,

and i tend to try to stay in a lower gear to let the engine braking work as well as possible, and also this helps not lock up the rear wheel,

best things about down hills is you always end up at the bottom anyway, ;) ;)