PDA

View Full Version : IMS tanks/oversize gas tanks

SpikedPunch
19th March 2009, 10:36
Is there an nz distributor for these or am I stuck paying an arm and a leg for shipping to NZ? http://www.justgastanks.com/store/ims-tank.php seems to have the best shipping prices, but it's still a lot with the poor NZ dollar.

barty5
19th March 2009, 11:21
Is there an nz distributor for these or am I stuck paying an arm and a leg for shipping to NZ? http://www.justgastanks.com/store/ims-tank.php seems to have the best shipping prices, but it's still a lot with the poor NZ dollar.

you want a larger tank i know some who imports from states ill ask him to see what they can get from there supplier

dafydd roberts
19th March 2009, 11:26

If your going to get anything state side you should get it now as the NZD is the strongest its been in a while. :clap:

LittleJohn
19th March 2009, 11:28
Why not try the Burt Munro tank (hot water bottle)

Crisis management
19th March 2009, 11:32
Just Gas tanks has always been the best value for money supplier out of the states but at the moment thats a shit load of cash!
Unless someone has a cheaper supplier maybe you need to think about adding an auxilary tank or carrying the fuel in some other way.....might not be the safest for an off road bike tho.

barty5
19th March 2009, 11:40
there are small extra tanks you can get that fit where your number board is but will make the steering a bit heavyer for a while i guess till its empty

http://www.acerbis.com/p150_tank/11250006.html

SpikedPunch
19th March 2009, 11:45
you want a larger tank i know some who imports from states ill ask him to see what they can get from there supplier

Yes please!

oldskool
19th March 2009, 11:47
Are you also gonna add a flywheel weight or leave it standard?

SpikedPunch
19th March 2009, 11:47
If your going to get anything state side you should get it now as the NZD is the strongest its been in a while. :clap:

Still about $100 more than I was looking at a while back, le sigh :(

SpikedPunch
19th March 2009, 11:52
Are you also gonna add a flywheel weight or leave it standard?

Verdicts not out on that yet, kind of like it as is :eek:

scott411
19th March 2009, 13:31
we are importing them directly off IMS, and are doing an order very soon, the tanks are very expensive to freight due to the size, give me a PM with what you are needing,

No one stocks them in NZ,

SpikedPunch
21st April 2009, 22:22
Right, installed the new tank tonight, very straightforward. I'm a lucky girl that Krad leaves all his tools at my house...:innocent:
Petcock is more accessible now which is kind of neat. Unfortunately the white of the clear tank with my yellow bike kind of makes it look like a giant egg, haha. I took some pics but the camera cable is AWOL so, errr, maybe another day. Will be good to try it out for the first time on Sunday at JR! Shaved the seat tonight too so that'll be good to test out also.
Thanks again Scott! :)

chop
21st April 2009, 22:37
your turning that little bike into a proper xc bike now arnt ya???!!!! You'll need that big tank on sunday itll be a long loop!

SpikedPunch
21st April 2009, 22:52
your turning that little bike into a proper xc bike now arnt ya???!!!! You'll need that big tank on sunday itll be a long loop!
:whistle: Next addition when I save my pennies will be an fmf fatty mini pipe/shorty mini silencer. Bushbars and a skidplate would be nice too... I've got a nice big list planned for xmas and birthdays ;)
At the 90k loop at TB I had to fill up at both fuel stops, so it'll be awesome not to have to worry about refuelling so much on big loops :)

B0000M
21st April 2009, 22:55
:whistle: Next addition when I save my pennies will be an fmf fatty mini pipe/shorty mini silencer. Bushbars and a skidplate would be nice too... I've got a nice big list planned for xmas and birthdays ;)
At the 90k loop at TB I had to fill up at both fuel stops, so it'll be awesome not to have to worry about refuelling so much on big loops :)

so did i on my 250 lol, at the 2nd one id almost run out!

noobi
21st April 2009, 22:57
what size tank did you get?
what was it before?
i recently went back to a standard tank, 9L, cuz the bigger one had interference issues...:blank:
glad to hear that bikes coming along well

SpikedPunch
21st April 2009, 23:04
I'm hoping the new tank won't get in the way too much! The new size is 9l, used to be about 5l, so that's heaps :)

noobi
21st April 2009, 23:09
I'm hoping the new tank won't get in the way too much! The new size is 9l, used to be about 5l, so that's heaps :)

9L should be enough :first:, wouldn't have thought your bike would be particularly thirsty

jt119
21st April 2009, 23:12
there are small extra tanks you can get that fit where your number board is but will make the steering a bit heavyer for a while i guess till its empty

http://www.acerbis.com/p150_tank/11250006.html

can you buy them here the smaller one wouldnt be to bad

chop
22nd April 2009, 07:47

Hope you a lot of people with deep pockets when b'day and xmas comes round!!! :) Whats the bottom end power like on it?

flyingcr250
22nd April 2009, 15:23
my bike holds 10.5l i only half fill it when im running round a mx track or at the sandpit, its real heavy when its fully tanked.:spanking:

SpikedPunch
23rd April 2009, 20:26
Hope you a lot of people with deep pockets when b'day and xmas comes round!!! :) Whats the bottom end power like on it?

I don't have a whole lot to compare it too, but I think it does alright for a little 2 stroke. Allegedly better bottom end than an 85 (which is why I went for it over an 85) but I have no idea since I've not ridden one!

flyingcr250: That's what I'm planning on doing too :) Got a big heavy full tank at the moment since I was all excited about being able to almost empty a whole jerry can in there...Aah, the things that'll entertain me...:blink: Hope I can still push it up the ramp, should be right tho.
Sort of wish I hadn't been so impulsive about shaving the seat now, it'll be good in the long run but now I have to recover it on saturday which will probably take a while so no harrisville practise :crybaby:

vr4king
23rd April 2009, 20:48
Nah recovering a seat is easy make sure you got a grunty staple gun and use a heat gun(wifes hair dryer) to warm it up

Took me about 1/2 an hour to do mine
Im sure im the only person in this world with a shaved seat EVERYONE is fascinated with it when they see it

flyingcr250
23rd April 2009, 21:35
I don't have a whole lot to compare it too, but I think it does alright for a little 2 stroke. Allegedly better bottom end than an 85 (which is why I went for it over an 85) but I have no idea since I've not ridden one!

flyingcr250: That's what I'm planning on doing too :) Got a big heavy full tank at the moment since I was all excited about being able to almost empty a whole jerry can in there...Aah, the things that'll entertain me...:blink: Hope I can still push it up the ramp, should be right tho.
Sort of wish I hadn't been so impulsive about shaving the seat now, it'll be good in the long run but now I have to recover it on saturday which will probably take a while so no harrisville practise :crybaby:

yea 10ltrs of fuel on top of a big heavy ktm is a bit of a killer when your stuck on the side of a slippery hill.