PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug broken

nguoixala
19th March 2009, 20:18
Hi guys,

i'm new to this site.
since i'm a newbie i would ask this stupid question (don't know if any1 ever done it....but i did)
yup....while trying to tighten the spark plug, i accidently over forcing broken the spark plug. i couldn't find anyway to pull it out..
please help me ....do i need to tear the engine apart???

speights_bud
19th March 2009, 20:21
if you only broke the ceramic off the top then the hex you put the spanner on should still be there?

ypvs kiwi
19th March 2009, 20:48
If the ceramic is broken - remove all the bits you can by hand then get the vaccum and clean-up the shards of ceramic from around the plug before you unscrew it - last thing you need is bits of spark plug in the motor. Use a plug socket that has the rubber ring inside this will grip the remains of the plug and let you take it out.

Cheers

nguoixala
19th March 2009, 20:51
thank guys but the plug broke where the screw threads meet the hex....that's troublesome

speights_bud
19th March 2009, 20:55
if the socket you have won't pull out the plug once you've undone it try a magnet on a stick or tie one to string to lift it out ;)

Warr
19th March 2009, 21:02
thankz dude....but it broke right at the screw end where it meet with the hex...
that's why it make me crazy....n don't know what to do
hehe..
So you have all the ceramic & center electrode out?? and somehow you have a threaded piece of tube in the plug hole ??????????
If thats the case you need something tapered square or triangular that you can gently insert into the remaining tube tap lightly to engage it into the tube and unscrew anti-clockwise. This maybe possible with the right size screw driver.
Of course in more ideal locations you would use an 'easy-out' but the plugs a buried a little too deep I suspect.
Best of luck :)

nguoixala
19th March 2009, 21:14
cool....great idea...but it dark now...i'll it tomorrow and see if i can get the darn thing out...
great....let you guys know the result soon

Blatman
19th March 2009, 22:46
spray a lot of WD40 or similar around it and let soak for 10 mins before you try to remove it

MaxB
19th March 2009, 23:09
Be careful not to drop any bits etc down the spark plug hole. Even wee bits of ceramic can do some damage.

If you cannot reach the plug body when you have loosened it with a socket, try a piece of hose that fits snugly over the hex, (play around with a spare plug beforehand) and use this to get the plug from the spark plug recess.

nguoixala
20th March 2009, 17:53
I've try.......:weep:
but no use....it prob when in too deep....
is there another way or i have to taken the top engine off???

Sensei
20th March 2009, 17:59
I have fixed afew of these like this ,Tig weld a easyout to the end of a 6 or 8mm rod then lower it into the plug end and slow & gently screw it down into it been carefuf not to sideload the easyout as they can break too then its OH Shit time LOL . Hope someone near by from here might beable to lead you a hand .

speights_bud
20th March 2009, 19:09
I've try.......:weep:
but no use....it prob when in too deep....
is there another way or i have to taken the top engine off???

hmm, you still have the hex attached down there?

**Woops, went back aand had another good read, umm i'll let you know if i think of anything

nguoixala
21st March 2009, 00:28
thanks all,
especially Warr. I had not given up and retry your technique.
I used a rod and grind it into a square shape...this time i tapper it a bit harder and twist it out...
finally....whooop...it come out....
so thanks all..
yahoooo....happy riding again.

Warr
21st March 2009, 10:09
thanks all,
especially Warr. I had not given up and retry your technique.
I used a rod and grind it into a square shape...this time i tapper it a bit harder and twist it out...
finally....whooop...it come out....
so thanks all..
yahoooo....happy riding again.
Hey we all pleased you have sorted it.
Not that I have had topreform the operation you were trying... but I do recall trying to use the handle end of a file. With the handle off of course. I conforms to the right characteristics, 3 or 4 sided and tapered.
I didnt want to give away all my secrets tho as it may have sounded just a bit too bodgie !
I likes Sensei's idea too except one would need a Tig welder handy. Not impossible, just visit an exhaust shop I guess :)