PDA

View Full Version : Metz M1 Front and Z6 Rear

Zapf
5th March 2005, 14:06
I just got my M1 Front and Z6 Rear fitted at Motohaus and will be running around the city to scrub them in before leaving for the big mainland on Weds.

So will let you kids know how they go....

Just for the record Kerry has set them up with 36psi front and 38psi rear

MSTRS
5th March 2005, 14:08
I just got my M1 Front and Z6 Rear fitted at Motohaus and will be running around the city to scrub them in before leaving for the big mainland on Weds.

So will let you kids know how they go....

Just for the record Kerry has set them up with 36psi front and 38psi rear
Bit hard unless you have a lot of gear to carry

Grumpy
5th March 2005, 14:45
Kerry knows his stuff.... but I thought that the pressures would be closer to 33 front 36 rear.

Sensei
5th March 2005, 20:38
Have same on my GSXR1000 Excellent tyre's . Hook up great Getting good k's out of them to . Done 4500k on back so far
SENSEI

Teflon
6th March 2005, 16:06
Have same on my GSXR1000 Excellent tyre's . Hook up great Getting good k's out of them to . Done 4500k on back so far
SENSEI

Dude you really need to learn to twist the throttle abit in corners, with 150hp they should be shredded. I'm sure my hard compound Shinkos look better than that.

Next time attack them with the angle grinder first, before posting, thanks.

dangerous
6th March 2005, 17:57
Kerry knows his stuff.... but I thought that the pressures would be closer to 33 front 36 rear.

Bit hard unless you have a lot of gear to carry
Now why do you guys say that :spudwhat:
I have the Z6 on the rear and in the next week or 2 will have a sportec 1 on the frount..... It says on my swing arm 36 frount and 42 rear..... thats what I run and I have no problems with it, but keen to know why you think thats way too high.

MSTRS
6th March 2005, 18:28
I have the Z6 on the rear and in the next week or 2 will have a sportec 1 on the frount..... It says on my swing arm 36 frount and 42 rear..... thats what I run and I have no problems with it, but keen to know why you think thats way too high.
Those pressures would be OK for 2-up. One up at those pressures the tyres are too hard & will never warm up completely therefore reducing their grip potential

dangerous
6th March 2005, 18:34
Those pressures would be OK for 2-up. One up at those pressures the tyres are too hard & will never warm up completely therefore reducing their grip potential
For 1 up and 2 up it says the same....... never have had a problem with them not warming up yet..... used to run 45 in the Guzzi, but thats a differant story altogether.

MSTRS
6th March 2005, 18:46
Well.....I used to run those higher pressures too. Then I did a trackday at Taupo & I was advised that it was too hard & to drop to as low as 32psi. I lifted to 34/35 for road riding & notice that the tracking is much more positive with less of a 'skippy' feel. I'm convinced that it is because the tyres flex more & therefore get hotter. Try racing on cold tyres & see what happens.

Grumpy
6th March 2005, 20:17

Now I know when it comes to tyre pressures there are alot of different opinons. Personally, I run 36 front 38-40 rear, but those pressures are on a bigger bike with larger tyres.

My wife had a SV650S before she got her Z1000 and the recommended pressures were 33 front and 36 rear ( if I remember correctly)
I realise the recommended pressures tend to be a little conservative on some bikes but they are usually a good start point.

Then again, like I said... Kerry knows his shit........ :confused:

Sensei
6th March 2005, 20:27
Dude you really need to learn to twist the throttle abit in corners, with 150hp they should be shredded. I'm sure my hard compound Shinkos look better than that.

Next time attack them with the angle grinder first, before posting, thanks.

Hey TEFLON are trying to get mileage out of my tyre's not " Hero ' point's /
As there is no Chicken Strip's on front or back tyre's Id say that i'm go just fine round corner's " Teflon " PM FUNKYFLY if you want to know how fast I am !! .You've got along way's to go before your'd get close Son !!LOL :shake:{PS got the grinder out on my boot's just for you / othat's right was from the road going round corner's !!!
SENSEI

Teflon
6th March 2005, 21:00
As there is no Chicken Strip's on front or back tyre's Id say that i'm go just fine round corner's " Teflon " PM FUNKYFLY if you want to know how fast I am !! .You've got along way's to go before your'd get close Son !!LOL :shake:{PS got the grinder out on my boot's just for you / othat's right was from the road going round corner's !!!
SENSEI

Shit thats weird, peg always scrapes before the boot does.

That picture is just another example that you really can't ride well, keep posting them.

What a waste of bike, all that extra horsepower you will never use.

Teflon
6th March 2005, 21:07
SENSEI

I'm just playing, sorry.

If you are who think you are, then i'm really sorry.

You mentiond you had the fastest GSXR in Taranaki or somthing like that, was it's nickname "Donkey"?.

Sensei
6th March 2005, 21:25
OK You found me out I cann't ride for shit best you come down here & show me how to ride . All my mate's must have been feeling sorry for me to let me beat them all the time Bugger!!!. How about coming down to the Naki for a over night ride Could put you up for the night & show you some sweet road's round here ? Nah was just a 93 GSXR1100R Staged 3 kitted .
10.2 1/4 & 168 flying Ps Don't you have your feet on the foot peg's ?? SENSEI

Teflon
6th March 2005, 21:33
OK You found me out I cann't ride for shit best you come down here & show me how to ride . All my mate's must have been feeling sorry for me to let me beat them all the time Bugger!!!. How about coming down to the Naki for a over night ride Could put you up for the night & show you some sweet road's round here ? Nah was just a 93 GSXR1100R Staged 3 kitted .
10.2 1/4 & 168 flying SENSEI

Opps, thought you might have been someone i knew, years back.

Teflon
6th March 2005, 21:43
Ps Don't you have your feet on the foot peg's ?? SENSEI

Yeah, i've jacked the rear up on the twin, so more ground clearance.

Lou Girardin
7th March 2005, 07:19
So why do you guys fit Sportecs to the front?
Don't trust Metzeler to design the correct tyre to match the rear perhaps?
I haven't had the front Z6 even look like letting go yet.
I did get some good advice about tyre pressures from the Metz rep.
Check the pressures cold. Then check again after 50 k's, the pressure rise should be 3 to 5 psi. 4 is ideal. If the rise is less, your pressure is too high. If it's higher, your pressures are too low.

Zapf
7th March 2005, 07:36
Check the pressures cold. Then check again after 50 k's, the pressure rise should be 3 to 5 psi. 4 is ideal. If the rise is less, your pressure is too high. If it's higher, your pressures are too low.

more grip in the front when braking? or that the tires will wear down as a set? dono...

James Deuce
7th March 2005, 07:51

It's quite simple. Everybody knows more than the tyre manufacturers with their millions of dollars of R&D.

Lou Girardin
7th March 2005, 14:13
It's quite simple. Everybody knows more than the tyre manufacturers with their millions of dollars of R&D.

That's what I was thinking, but was too nice to say it.

Zapf
7th March 2005, 19:44
well... lets revisit this topic when I come back from the SI and we'll see how the M1's and Z6's compareo...

dangerous
7th March 2005, 19:46
well... lets revisit this topic when I come back from the SI and we'll see how the M1's and Z6's compareo...
M1 is the Sportec correct?

Krusti
7th March 2005, 19:56
Just fitted a Pilot Sport-front, Pilot Road - rear to bike. Had Dragon Corsa's before. Love the Pilots so far.....see how they go

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 20:51
Shit thats weird, peg always scrapes before the boot does.

That picture is just another example that you really can't ride well, keep posting them.

What a waste of bike, all that extra horsepower you will never use.

10.2 1/4 & 168 flying Ps Don't you have your feet on the foot peg's ?? SENSEI.

If you guys are really lucky ill bring my bike down and show you how to go around corners :bleh: :bleh :bleh: PT

Geez guys.... who cares aslong as we are all having fun :niceone:

Sensei you could have your toes on the pegs... and Teflon, he doesnt have chicken strips...

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 20:52
Oh yeah Zapf, those pressures seem ok considering you will have top box and panniers.... but with out those i would look at 32/36 and on the track 30/31

Cajun
8th March 2005, 09:28
Just fitted a Pilot Sport-front, Pilot Road - rear to bike. Had Dragon Corsa's before. Love the Pilots so far.....see how they go

Yeah i love the pilots i have pilot powers on the sixxer, and i had pilot roads on the old gsxr1100 before i sold it.
And after trying 014, super corsas, and powers on the sixxer, i will stick to powers for it best i have found.

Zapf
29th March 2005, 00:52
Oh yeah Zapf, those pressures seem ok considering you will have top box and panniers.... but with out those i would look at 32/36 and on the track 30/31

Yep, been running the front M1 at 36psi and Z6 Rear at 40psi and it was great in the SI. dropped the pressure for the track to around 33 front 36 rear. guess should have gone lower still hur.

Have done over 5 1/2 thou k's for my SI trip.! More to come :)

dangerous
29th March 2005, 06:07
Have done over 5 1/2 thou k's for my SI trip.! More to come :)
third worn, half worn, two thirds worn?????? what are they like after 5500k's on them? :ride:

Zapf
29th March 2005, 13:19
about 2/3 worn.

and that is with a 80kg rider with gear on.

40kg of luggage.

4 1/2 thousand k's of SI road (5 1/2 thou total) on a 650 twin.

and over 100k's on rupuna. (as in km's done running around the track. Not kph)

vifferman
29th March 2005, 13:47
more grip in the front when braking? or that the tires will wear down as a set?
Both.:niceone:
I've run the sport front/sport-touring rear combo on three bikes, using several different sets of tyres, and it works really well.
It's not question of thinking I know more than the tyre manufacturers - if that was the case, I'd be like the 'racer dudes' and run my tyres at too low pressure on the street (to prove I'm a 'serious rider' ??), instead of what works well. When you run your tyres at significantly less than the recommended pressures, you get:

Too much tyre deformation, resulting in overheating and cracking of the carcase.
Increased likelihood of damage from potholes and from bouncing onto and over kerbs, cars, pedestrians, etc.
Greater risk of puncturing from rubbish in and near the gutters.
Less feel with the tyre squirming around and trying to climb off the rims.
The stipes (rain grooves) close up slightly, lessening the grip in wet weather.
Excessive squaring off (like my VTR when I bought it, which had tyres run at low pressure that were fooked, despite having plenty of tread left).

dangerous
29th March 2005, 18:23
about 2/3 worn.
Bugger.... was hoping for a bit better than that, my day at Rupuna dident do too much damage to them so I'm hopfull that I'll better the 204's that were std on the bike which I managed 8k and the shit 220 (rear) only 5k.

Zapf
29th March 2005, 21:16
Bugger.... was hoping for a bit better than that, my day at Rupuna dident do too much damage to them so I'm hopfull that I'll better the 204's that were std on the bike which I managed 8k and the shit 220 (rear) only 5k.

I think I might get 8k out of them.... but we'll see... after the bike is back on the road! :P

SPman
29th March 2005, 21:23
Done about 10K on my Z6's and theyre about 70% worn.
Whilst I know I ride like a womble, that includes a mix from commute to the occasional "quicker" ride.

Sensei
29th March 2005, 22:05
Looks like I'll get about 7k out of my Z6 on the back of the GSXR so pretty happy as I'm after mileage these days as of Family . Had some excellent rides on this tyre which is starting to give up to the HP of the bike
SENSEI

dangerous
30th March 2005, 06:11
... after the bike is back on the road! :P
ummmmm........ so why is it off the road Z :ride:

Zapf
30th March 2005, 14:58
it is legal to have gravel state highway's? I thought its frikken year 2005! Quote SH38 :brick: :ar15: :doh: :thud:

dangerous
30th March 2005, 18:45
it is legal to have gravel state highway's? I thought its frikken year 2005! Quote SH38 :brick: :ar15: :doh: :thud:
ahhhhhhh... mate its the south Is ya know.... lucky it dident end up covered in cow shit courtacy of the cocky's marching there stock up the main road.
Ya dident drop it did ya Zapf.... or is it just stone damage off the frount wheel??? :confused:

SPman
30th March 2005, 19:00
Oh dear..I think he might have succumbed to the allure of S.I gravel!

Riff Raff
30th March 2005, 19:54
Ya dident drop it did ya Zapf.... or is it just stone damage off the frount wheel??? :confused:
Yeah come on Felix, don't keep us in suspense - fess up to what you have done. I admitted it when I dropped my bike (even if it was hidden away in some thread somewhere).

Zapf
30th March 2005, 21:10
SH38 is the STATE HIGHWAY! Napier / Gisbon to Rotavagus.

nothing... didn't do anything to the bike.... I might sell her soon.... she just have too soft a front end.

might replace her with a italian model for commuting...

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/15/7489615_full.jpg

chickenfunkstar
5th April 2005, 21:21
Zapf - what do you think of the m1 / z6 combo after 5500k?

I used to run that combination on my last set. I thought they were pretty good. Had to push pretty hard before the back would become unsettled.
Would have them again but tyre shop didn't have any in stock.

Was also meaning to ask what profile front tyre you were running

thanks.

CFS.

Zapf
6th April 2005, 02:26
Zapf - what do you think of the m1 / z6 combo after 5500k?

I used to run that combination on my last set. I thought they were pretty good. Had to push pretty hard before the back would become unsettled.
Would have them again but tyre shop didn't have any in stock.

Was also meaning to ask what profile front tyre you were running

thanks.

CFS.

hello, I think they are great.... haven't had 1 issue with them on the "sealed" road. in mostly dry condition, so can't say too much for the wet. However I did have like 30~40kg's of panniers on the back, and I weight 80kg with gear. So they are getting worked quite hard. kind of rides funny when the ridge on the Z6 was still new, as you lean it into corners it rather sits at the lean instead of coming back up out of corners. So you find that you have to manually push it out of the lean, but just something to get use to. After it wears away its like a normal tire again. For the record I was running the front M1 at 36psi cold and rear at 40psi cold.

would have been factory size front.... 120/70/17 from memory...

And the front M1 felt very planted and while also gives to hold onto the bumps and dips thru the corner, much better than the dunlop D220's. And the Z6 is sticky as...

I think the both the tire has harder rubber in the middle and softer rubber on the side, as the front sides seem to be wearing faster when I got to use them on the track.

Lou Girardin
6th April 2005, 08:41
hello, I think they are great.... haven't had 1 issue with them on the "sealed" road. in mostly dry condition, so can't say too much for the wet. However I did have like 30~40kg's of panniers on the back, and I weight 80kg with gear. So they are getting worked quite hard. kind of rides funny when the ridge on the Z6 was still new, as you lean it into corners it rather sits at the lean instead of coming back up out of corners. So you find that you have to manually push it out of the lean, but just something to get use to. After it wears away its like a normal tire again. For the record I was running the front M1 at 36psi cold and rear at 40psi cold.

would have been factory size front.... 120/70/17 from memory...

And the front M1 felt very planted and while also gives to hold onto the bumps and dips thru the corner, much better than the dunlop D220's. And the Z6 is sticky as...

I think the both the tire has harder rubber in the middle and softer rubber on the side, as the front sides seem to be wearing faster when I got to use them on the track.

Metz's don't run dual compounds, the sides wore faster because you used them harder.

Sensei
22nd April 2005, 22:43
Well was right got 7k out of my Rear Z6 have just put another back . Bloody excellent tyre all round
SENSEI

Zapf
28th October 2005, 17:27
Right... more M1 test coming soon hopefully... after I shread my BT014's on the Gixxer..

Probly get them end of 1st week of Nov.

Related Thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=407603#post407603