PDA

View Full Version : Harleys... pfft.... (at least the one I rode last night).

Patrick
20th March 2009, 15:37
Each to their own, but I gotta say, I was very underwhelmed...

A pursuit (not mine... just assisted in the stop) last night from Inglewood to New Plymouth, the rider was pissed (Blew 670 odd). He wasn't keen on leaving the bike at the side of the road, and neither was I, knowing that the bike had been stolen from his home 2 months ago and recovered soon after...

So I put my hand up and obliged, and rode it to the station for safe keeping.

Hardley Fergusson was apt. Deisel tractor sprung to mind. Often....!

Uncomfortable seat and pegs (but the forward "rest" pegs were good...), left indicator switch on the left and right indicator switch on the right (why not one for both, in one switch? Made me look silly, that one did... but the self turning off thingy was a good idea, thank christ...). Just to name a few...

Scummy wouldbe pleased, it had a tassled tool bag under the headlight... where the tools rattled louder than the bike!!!

Bit my tongue when he said, "Go on, admit it, you enjoyed that..."

Nope... not a bit......

I hope other models are better than this one was....

sinfull
20th March 2009, 15:43
So what model was it Patrick ? Lol and no prolly not much better through the models !
On ya for moving it for him there's some cred in his eyes !
Still think you should swap ya Mrs's T/bird for my speed 3

Bonez
20th March 2009, 15:47
Pics or it didn't happen :spanking:

Patrick
20th March 2009, 15:55
So what model was it Patrick ? Lol and no prolly not much better through the models !
On ya for moving it for him there's some cred in his eyes !
Still think you should swap ya Mrs's T/bird for my speed 3

Will look it up... can't recall... underwhelmed, remember?

Pics or it didn't happen :spanking:

Thank god there were no pics... Police dayglow raincoat over the armour, no gloves, his helmet stunk of stale smoke...

sinfull
20th March 2009, 15:59
his helmet stunk of stale smoke...
Did he have kutu's ?

nadroj
20th March 2009, 16:00
Will look it up... can't recall... underwhelmed, remember?

Thank god there were no pics... Police dayglow raincoat over the armour, no gloves, his helmet stunk of stale smoke...

At least it wouldn't get in your hair.....:bleh:

Virago
20th March 2009, 16:05
I rode a Suzuki once - don't know what model it was - but that confirmed that all Suzukis are shit...:whistle:

Patrick
20th March 2009, 16:05
Did he have kutu's ?

At least it wouldn't get in your hair.....:bleh:

There is a clue for ya there, sinfull....

Patrick
20th March 2009, 16:07
I rode a Suzuki once - don't know what model it was - but that confirmed that all Suzukis are shit...:whistle:

Hmmm... point taken. Was I a bit hasty? (note the thread header...)

Headbanger
20th March 2009, 16:44
Its true, its true, Harley's are shit.

Sidewinder
20th March 2009, 16:45
harleys suck, its as easy as that!

Tony W
20th March 2009, 16:55
Its true, its true, Harley's are shit.

MATE, why did you leave the band and join the alien nation !!!:Punk:

Molly
20th March 2009, 19:26
So, all Harleys are shit based on the old nail you rode last night? You know how that makes you sound? Go ride a new 96" Dyna or a V-Rod then report back.

Maybe that nail was somebody's pride and joy and they got more enjoyment out of it than you've ever had out of whatever bland, Japanese inline four you might be playing Power Rangers on at the moment.

gammaguy
20th March 2009, 19:32

LMAO surely you jest? cant judge an entire marque by virtue of one example of one model.

unless its a ^%$#ey?:bleh:

98tls
20th March 2009, 19:45
Maybe that nail was somebody's pride and joy and they got more enjoyment out of it than you've ever had out of whatever bland, Japanese inline four you might be playing Power Rangers on at the moment.
Or maybe not.:wacko:Good on ya Patrick for taking it out of harms way,no doubt some scumbucket would have stolen it if left there.

peasea
21st March 2009, 21:02

A pursuit (not mine... just assisted in the stop) last night from Inglewood to New Plymouth, the rider was pissed (Blew 670 odd). He wasn't keen on leaving the bike at the side of the road, and neither was I, knowing that the bike had been stolen from his home 2 months ago and recovered soon after...

Uncomfortable seat and pegs (but the forward "rest" pegs were good...), left indicator switch on the left and right indicator switch on the right (why not one for both, in one switch? Made me look silly, that one did... but the self turning off thingy was a good idea, thank christ...). Just to name a few...

Scummy wouldbe pleased, it had a tassled tool bag under the headlight... where the tools rattled louder than the bike!!!

PS: Thanks for parking it.

Nope... not a bit......

I hope other models are better than this one was....

Well, you know I've been clocking up some k's on a T'bird, right? Well, everytime I head for the garage I can't help but fall onto my Wideglide. The T'bird has it's good points, especially in the 'get-there-quick' and 'go-round-corners' stakes, but I love the laid-back ride of the W/g. If I wanted to go fast-as-fuck everywhere I bought the wrong machine. Try a W/g sometime for 'cruisy' riding. Maybe the bike you rode wasn't set up for your own bod/preferences, it doesn't make it a shitter.

cave weta
21st March 2009, 21:19
So, all Harleys are shit based on the old nail you rode last night? You know how that makes you sound? Go ride a new 96" Dyna or a V-Rod then report back.

Imagine owning a bike that you constantly have to defend in public!
I wouldnt bother!-
Didnt HD just get bailed out again by 300 million US dollars- Warren Buffett the squillionair bought it and registered it as a charity or somthing as a huge tax dodge I heard...... :2thumbsup

Bren
21st March 2009, 21:30
My woman aint the best performer, and some might say she aint the best lookin, but I love her, and I will defend her including all her flaws, and I love to screw her....stuff what everyone else is screwing, I know she is mine, and I am happy.
I think Harleys are like women, tempermental, and there are some things they dont do well..But they are good to ride!

cs363
21st March 2009, 21:31
Can't judge an entire marque by virtue of one example of one model.

Well, when that marque is seemingly entirely based on one model - though with different model designations based on whether it has a screen or different handlebars, or painted matt black or gloss and so on, then it does tend to make it easier to make generalisations.... :laugh: :Pokey: :laugh:

....p/t.....

Molly
21st March 2009, 21:32
You're wasting your breath Peasea.

What is it about bikers that they have to slag-off each other's favourite brand of bike? It's narrow-minded and just plain f'kin' ignorant. Some people just don't want to have to challenge their inherited views or reach an opinion of their own based on relevant experience rather than bar room bullshit.

What matters is the pleasure you get from owning and riding your bike (whatever bike). Be grateful that the safety or environmental police haven't killed your passion yet and that you're still free to ride.

'Harleys are shit' threads just serve to highlight narrow-minded, prejudiced views and limited intellect. Patrick, you should join the cops...

MaxCannon
21st March 2009, 21:38
I think he is a cop. Hence riding some drunk dudes harley back to the police station for safe keeping.

And I could care less about what anyone has to say about my bike.
The motorcycle press labels the Bandit as slow, boring and crap.
Mine does exactly what I want it to and gives me smile each time I ride it.
Whatever anyone else things doesn't matter one bit to me.

Molly
21st March 2009, 21:39
Didnt HD just get bailed out again by 300 million US dollars- Warren Buffett the squillionair bought it and registered it as a charity or somthing as a huge tax dodge I heard...... :2thumbsup

Well, I don't know if they got a hand-out but they did cut production a few times recently. Maybe it passed you by but there's an economic recession on in the US.

What's your pride and joy by the way? Please say it's an MV Augusta...

Max. I had worked out that he's a cop... Bandits? Had a 600 and a 1200 in my time. Both good bikes. When the 600 came out in the UK it was three grand on the road and just wiped the floor with the other big three.

Rob Taylor
21st March 2009, 21:45

What is it about bikers that they have to slag-off each other's favourite brand of bike? It's narrow-minded and just plain f'kin' ignorant. Some people just don't want to have to challenge their inherited views or reach an opinion of their own based on relevant experience rather than bar room bullshit.

What matters is the pleasure you get from owning and riding your bike (whatever bike). Be grateful that the safety or environmental police haven't killed your passion yet and that you're still free to ride.

'Harleys are shit' threads just serve to highlight narrow-minded, prejudiced views and limited intellect. Patrick, you should join the cops...

Well said,,Thank god they make Jap bikes..........Nudge,nudge,wink ,wink

AllanB
21st March 2009, 21:53
Good move taking it off the road for him, though if his level was that high, shit I'd probably left it there to teach him a lesson.

Be interested to see what model - a older one I'd say. Jump back on a 15 year old anything - eeekkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cs363
21st March 2009, 21:56

No offence, but I think you might be overreacting - Patrick didn't say Harley's are shit, he just said he was underwhelmed amd he did qualify that by saying 'at least the one I rode'.

At the end of the day who gives a shit what you ride as long as it provides personal pleasure as per your second paragraph (above) and Max Cannon's post. People should be more secure in their personal choices.

The Harley threads and comments are no worse than the constant Honda pisstaking or the Suzuki's are shit posts, or for that matter the BMW knocking.
The vast majority of the comments & posts are made lightheartedly and are just meant as poking fun.
I've personally done some reasonable milage on various model Harleys and sold them on occasion too in the past, that has given me enough insight into them to know it's not for me (at least for now, who knows), though that is more from the the narrow focus (cruiser) which doesn't suit my needs. If I won Lotto and could afford a bigger bike collection I'd almost certainly have one or two different Harley's in the shed for those times when I felt like riding that style of bike.

cs363
21st March 2009, 21:58
Good move taking it off the road for him, though if his level was that high, shit I'd probably left it there to teach him a lesson.

Be interested to see what model - a older one I'd say. Jump back on a 15 year old anything - eeekkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of depends on the condition of the 15 year old bike though, doesn't it?

AllanB
21st March 2009, 22:18
Kind of depends on the condition of the 15 year old bike though, doesn't it?

To a degree, a shitter is just, well, shit!

An absolutely minter or fully restored (in stock configurtion) while often a thing of beauty and a lovely Sunday morning ride is still lacking in comparison to modern brakes, handling and suspenders - I have found these three areas the biggest improvement over the years (plus tyres of course!).

cs363
21st March 2009, 22:25
To a degree, a shitter is just, well, shit!

An absolutely minter or fully restored (in stock configurtion) while often a thing of beauty and a lovely Sunday morning ride is still lacking in comparison to modern brakes, handling and suspenders - I have found these three areas the biggest improvement over the years (plus tyres of course!).

I hear what you're saying and agree re: shitters being shit :)
And yes an old minter restored is not up to modern spec no matter how pleasant a ride, however a 15 year old bike is only 1994 - most Jap & Euro bikes of that age were running reasonable brakes and suspension and wide rims with radial tyres so something that's well cared for and set up right is not too far behind a newer model, at least in real world road riding. Different kettle of fish if they line up on a track or for someone that thinks it's cool to ride like Rossi on the road.

Again though, a 15 year old shitter is as shit as a 5 year old one and so on... :)

AllanB
21st March 2009, 22:30
True words there - I've seen 3 year old bikes that are in worse condition than some 20 year old ones!

One must love ones baby :banana:

cs363
21st March 2009, 22:37
One must love ones baby banana

Have you joined the Mormon Few? :lol:

Horse
21st March 2009, 22:44

I don't waste time defending my bike, I just go out and ride it.

laRIKin
22nd March 2009, 08:05
Good on you for helping a fellow biker out in his hour of need.

I have ridden some HD's that I have liked and some I have not enjoyed riding at all.
After all they are a cruiser and that is what they will ride and handle like, a cruiser and never like a sports bike no matter what mod's you do to it.

And in saying that, I test rode a 04 MV Agusta Brutale 750 to buy, I must say I was disappointed.

terbang
22nd March 2009, 09:02
My woman aint the best performer, and some might say she aint the best lookin, but I love her, and I will defend her including all her flaws, and I love to screw her....stuff what everyone else is screwing, I know she is mine, and I am happy.
I think Harleys are like women, tempermental, and there are some things they dont do well..But they are good to ride!

Um well yeah..
But you remind me of one of the things I like about motorcycles. Like women, they are all different.

Oh yeah Patrick, good job done...

Molly
22nd March 2009, 10:25
I wouldnt bother!-

Much easier to just ride something your friends approve of? Baaaaaa....

saltydog
22nd March 2009, 10:35

Geeze, what next?! Your missius would fucking shoot you if she knew you were comparing her to the bloody bike outside in the garage. (admit it), she would chuck you out of that warm bed and tell you to go and sleep with it in the garage.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Forest
22nd March 2009, 16:14
The rider blew a .670 ???

Good thing he was on a Harley. He could have caused some serious damage if he was riding a real motorbike.

Molly
22nd March 2009, 16:36
... could have caused some serious damage if he was riding a real motorbike.

Motorbikes don't get more real than a Harley. Sell that 'appliance' BMW and buy yourself a real bike. :bleh:

zeocen
22nd March 2009, 16:52
You go on about people slagging off HDs when in this thread alone you've slagged off three times as many brands.

Molly, you're a dick.

Molly
22nd March 2009, 20:00
You go on about people slagging off HDs when in this thread alone you've slagged off three times as many brands. Molly, you're a dick.

I have? Really? Have I fuck. The beemer remark had the closest to a tongue in cheek smilie I could find. Sorry if it went over your head. Never owned one as it happens.

That said, I've owned shitloads of bikes over the years and though some were crap, it never meant to me that the brand was crap. Some are more obviously built down to a price (for example, every Suzuki I've owned - about six of them I think) but you pay your money, you take your choice.

I'm lucky enough to be able to own any damn bike I please and after dozens and dozens of them I settled for my old Guzzi and a new 96" HD. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your bikes as I do mine. If there was one 'best' we'd all be riding it but there isn't. Nevertheless, I make my choices based on what the bike 'is' as opposed to what it 'means'. That being so, I don't have the burden of having to ride some piece of shit just to secure peer approval.

Ride safe. :done:

Forest
22nd March 2009, 20:22
Motorbikes don't get more real than a Harley. Sell that 'appliance' BMW and buy yourself a real bike. :bleh:

You'll keep. :2thumbsup

Whenever I get carried away in bike comparison discussions, I always remember some advice I was given many years ago by a guy who was much smarter than me. He told me ... Everything sucks, however some things suck a little bit less than others!

Molly
22nd March 2009, 20:27
At least you got that it was tongue in cheek. :niceone:

By the way, I was in Italy last year expecting to see Ducati and Moto Guzzi everywhere but saw more 1200 Beemers than anything else.

ynot slow
22nd March 2009, 20:34
Bet ya enjoyed going down Devon St on it Patrick,do the odd mall cruise thing hehe.

Big Dave
22nd March 2009, 20:36
Yes - I'd base my assessments on a pissed idiot's bike.
Sure to have correct air pressures and such. :-P

doc
22nd March 2009, 20:46
Each to their own, ....

:rolleyes: Fark what a lot of BS. Your just going thru the denial phase aye. I betcha you have one of the 3" thick catalogs under your bed right now.
Don't try to push this tassle crap onto Scummie, you know you like them . Fringed stab proof vest next I reckon.

lankyman
23rd March 2009, 08:52

So you'd rather noob around on your vigaro than ride a GSXR1000?? :oi-grr:

pritch
23rd March 2009, 09:38
I'm having trouble deciding whether this thread is amusing or sad.

It's hard to think of a single intelligent reason for buying a Harley (or a Ducati for that matter). In both cases you have to pay way too much for what you get. Emotions probably play a bigger part in most peoples buying decisions than intellect anyway so it really doesn't matter. As long as you're happy WTF?

Patrick rode the pisshead's Harley and was unimpressed and said so. Fair enough. No need to cry over it.

Nice work Patrick.

Finn
23rd March 2009, 09:53
Most people on KB ride Japanese bikes because they can't afford anything decent. That's okay, it's just life.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd March 2009, 09:56
I'm having trouble deciding whether this thread is amusing or sad.

It's hard to think of a single intelligent reason for buying a Harley (or a Ducati for that matter). In both cases you have to pay way too much for what you get. Emotions probably play a bigger part in most peoples buying decisions than intellect anyway so it really doesn't matter. As long as you're happy WTF?

Patrick rode the pisshead's Harley and was unimpressed and said so. Fair enough. No need to cry over it.

Nice work Patrick.

there is no intelligent reason for riding any motorbike. No one NEEDS a motorbike. Any decision is based on WANT: you want a H-D, he wants a Ducati, I want a Triumph (and some hondas, the odd suzuki, some Buell's and a Victory Vegas)...

the big distinction to me is "into bikes" vs "not into bikes, I don't get it". Not "I'm into Harleys" vs "I'm into sprotsbikes" my experience is that if you are a motorcycle person, you can talk to another motorcycle person about motorcycles no matter what you ride, what you do for a living, how much money you have or dont have, age, sex or marital status. I dont want to mythologise it and go on about the "brotherhood" or any of that malarkey, it to me is just a great way of talking with people who you otherwise might not get the opportunity to talk to. Its grand.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd March 2009, 09:57
Most people on KB ride Japanese bikes because they can't afford anything decent. That's okay, it's just life.

tee hee. 10 characters

Patrick
23rd March 2009, 10:28

You did read the header and the post? "This one at least" and "each to their own.." sound familiar?

I am sure it is his pride and joy, which is why we were looking for it not too long ago after it was stolen from his lounge. I hadn't heard it had been recovered. I recognised the custom paint job then the plate.

I got it off the highway for him... could have left it there, but thought, "Nah, there will be a thread, "All cops are Arseholes" for doing so...

I rode THIS one. It was shit.

Or maybe not.:wacko:Good on ya Patrick for taking it out of harms way,no doubt some scumbucket would have stolen it if left there.

The main Highway to South Taranaki... just on the outskirts of town, under the last remaining bright street lights. Ripe for the pickings, it was......

Well, you know I've been clocking up some k's on a T'bird, right? Well, everytime I head for the garage I can't help but fall onto my Wideglide. The T'bird has it's good points, especially in the 'get-there-quick' and 'go-round-corners' stakes, but I love the laid-back ride of the W/g. If I wanted to go fast-as-fuck everywhere I bought the wrong machine. Try a W/g sometime for 'cruisy' riding. Maybe the bike you rode wasn't set up for your own bod/preferences, it doesn't make it a shitter.

Perhaps. For me, it was a shitter......

Good move taking it off the road for him, though if his level was that high, shit I'd probably left it there to teach him a lesson....

Was tempting....

Twas what the thread was about, NOT an attack on all Harleys, as a narrow minded one or two seem to think...

I don't waste time defending my bike, I just go out and ride it.

Me too. Luckily no one attacks Suzukis and Triumphs.

Bet ya enjoyed going down Devon St on it Patrick,do the odd mall cruise thing hehe.

Thought crossed my mind to start with. Once moving though, couldn't get off it quick enough.

:rolleyes: Fark what a lot of BS. Your just going thru the denial phase aye. I betcha you have one of the 3" thick catalogs under your bed right now.
Don't try to push this tassle crap onto Scummie, you know you like them . Fringed stab proof vest next I reckon.

Bastard. I've been outed!!!!!!

Patrick
23rd March 2009, 10:31
Bike was a 96 Standard 8..... Unsure what that is......

Take a chill pill Molly. I would ride anything.... just not THAT one again....

Given the same circumstances, I would ride a bike to the station again, just to avoid "future paperwork" :msn-wink:

Big Dave
23rd March 2009, 10:32
And everyone has different applications, expectations and aspirations from their vehicles, HDC.

Harley produce a range of products that suit around 15% of the market's purchasing criteria.

I understand why - I've tested some magnificent vehicles - and some that didn't suit me.

Big Dave
23rd March 2009, 10:33
Given the same circumstances, I would ride a bike to the station again, just to avoid "future paperwork" :msn-wink:

Burnouts are always more rewarding on other people's tyres.

Headbanger
23rd March 2009, 10:35
I wouldn't enjoy any bike if I had to wear some smelly fuckers helmet.

End of story.

Big Dave
23rd March 2009, 10:36
It's probably still got the original shocks and fork oil.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd March 2009, 11:00

my new signature. Cheers :thumbsup:

cs363
23rd March 2009, 18:12

This is a Standard 8: http://www.karmann.com/__C1256DF70051CC3B.nsf/html/AdlerStandard8.jpg/$FILE/AdlerStandard8.jpg

Mind you, it's a 33 not a 96 and seems to have a couple of extra wheels.
Also, it's an Adler not a Harley.....
Looking at it I imagine it would handle as per your description.... :whistle:

98tls
23rd March 2009, 18:23
Most people on KB ride Japanese bikes because they can't afford anything decent. That's okay, it's just life. Worse still maybe most on here profess to ride Japanese bikes,still delicate about the divorce,missing the kids,possibly finding the obligatory tassles on the handlebars off-putting there not yet ready to announce anything to the world that even hints at insecurity or middle aged crisis.
:bleh:

AD345
23rd March 2009, 18:42
there is no intelligent reason for riding any motorbike. No one NEEDS a motorbike. Any decision is based on WANT:

Ruh roh

Don't go there

there's approximately 1 zillion 250cc riders that will now line up and tell ya how their bike is a necessity.

And they have a point

AllanB
23rd March 2009, 19:00

EXCELLENT

Now that is going on one of my T-shirts!

Patrick
24th March 2009, 12:26
This is a Standard 8: http://i.pbase.com/u18/xl1ken/upload/11696318.Packard041lo.jpg

Mind you, it's a 33 not a 96 and seems to have a couple of extra wheels.
Also, it's an Adler not a Harley.....
Looking at it I imagine it would handle as per your description.... :whistle:

Couldn't open up the linky thingy.... so I am guessing you're talking about an old cage?

Twas a 96 two wheeler, without training wheels.... big fat motor....

Bonez
24th March 2009, 16:11
It's probably still got the original shocks and fork oil.Then again maybe not.

ynot slow
24th March 2009, 20:57
Piss taking apart good on ya Patrick for doing the best for the guy,some might say stuff him he rode under influence,let his bike get stolen/wrecked.

Others who have ridden/driven after 1 drink could do better to think about that fact,under influence is 1 drink or 20 drinks,the levels(limit mcgs) change.

shafty
24th March 2009, 22:34
Now Patrick, you DO know better than to post a personal opinion, don't you - albiet with untold qualifyers, ie "Just my impression" etc, LOL, Good effort Mate.

I typed a perfectly HONEST ride impression on the Rocket III, qualified it about 3 times, that it was my impression only.............but, they canny resist!

Its as if they are trying to say, "No, that wasn't your impression" rather than respecting (google it) yours!

Big Dave
24th March 2009, 22:57
Now Patrick, you DO know better than to post a personal opinion, don't you - albiet with untold qualifyers, ie "Just my impression" etc, LOL, Good effort Mate.

Beauty - we'll just have a big agree-a-thon and nobody will say anything contrary or hold a differing opinion henceforth.

Everyone agree?:devil2:

Horse
24th March 2009, 23:40
Beauty - we'll just have a big agree-a-thon and nobody will say anything contrary or hold a differing opinion henceforth.

Negative! :)

Big Dave
24th March 2009, 23:42
Negative! :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AShBoF1FPSE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AShBoF1FPSE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Horse
24th March 2009, 23:50
Is this the right room for an argument?

Big Dave
24th March 2009, 23:56
I told you before.

LBD
25th March 2009, 00:51
Hmmm... point taken. Was I a bit hasty? (note the thread header...)

Nah mate , you were on the nail. Hopped of my Duc to help a Guzzi rider. I was getting low on gas so his mate lent me his HF883 sportster to go pick up a spare battery...(old guzzis....) Any how taking it gentle on a strange bike, up to the first small bend....Whats that noise and whats happed to the suspension....s^&&% I'm on the ground already?:gob:

No they are not for me either.

LBD
25th March 2009, 00:52
I told you before.

No you didn't!

shafty
25th March 2009, 06:11

Pffffft - I rest my case

Bonez
25th March 2009, 07:18
Negative! :)To right. :argue:

Big Dave
25th March 2009, 08:05
To right. :argue:

But wrong.

Big Dave
25th March 2009, 08:27
No they are not for me either.

Why they bought Buell and MV Agusta.

They know that comfortable, stylish cruisers don't suit everyone too.

I was told yesterday that Harley are NZs 3rd top selling brand last quarter. (Unconfirmed & unofficial source).

coffeejunkie
25th March 2009, 09:24
Harleys are nice to look at BUT you must wear shades or go blind from all that bling,lol

Horse
25th March 2009, 09:35
I was told yesterday that Harley are NZs 3rd top selling brand last quarter. (Unconfirmed & unofficial source).

Presumably that's just new bike sales? So wouldn't include 2nd-hand purchases (such as mine) from an official dealer?

Big Dave
25th March 2009, 09:43
Registrations.

wbks
28th March 2009, 08:45

Nope... not a bit......

I hope other models are better than this one was....What model was it? I just rode one for someone not very throttle happy (strictly for informational purposes) to clear out the plugs as it sounded like it was only on one cylinder and so I cleaned it and took it out for a ride... Brmmm... Only 80k, full throttle... Somethings wrong here. Drop down a gear and give some more revs - BANG brmmmm BANG (second cylinder starting to kick in) and o shit I'm on 140:laugh:
It was a mint 89 sportster 1200. Friggin fun. Sure, i didn't throw it into corners at 230 knee down like what people seem to buy sportbikes for because of the capability (SUV hummer that never touches dirt springs to mind). Sure, I felt like I was going a whole lot faster than 100 cruzing just because of the wind resistance on my entire body... No fairings, but it sure was a different experience to any other bike I have ridden. I kind (ok... really, really) liked how un-refined it was compared to pretty much anything, it was plenty of torque, from low to mid, and made a hell of a noise when you open it up or close it off, and without a but stop and soft shocks it wouldn't take much to hit a bump accelerating to fall off the back. I've got to say, I had more fun cruzing at 100 and never going over 140 on that bike than I have on the road. I still prefer riding a sportsbike on a trackday at taupo, sure, but this has got to be an awesome road bike.

Nicely built, easy to ride, covered in aero-protection bike? You need to be tucked in at 300 or knee down at 130 to have fun... This thing? Just accelerating to the speed limit was fun enough :first:

Bonez
28th March 2009, 08:50
Registrations.I'd believe that they're everywhere.

fergie
29th March 2009, 14:14
one of the most interesting harley bashing threads i've read in ages.

Iggy
29th March 2009, 20:27
I currently ride a sportsbike and had the opportunity to ride a harley the other week, a different experience and I enjoyed the ride. I guess the point I would like to make, is we all have one thing in common and that is we all ride a motorbike and that we enjoy that unique experience. I like Harleys but I just prefer to ride a sportsbike, nothing wrong with that.:woohoo:

Robbo
29th March 2009, 20:39
As long as you enjoy your ride it don't matter a damn what brand or model it is.

:scooter:

Big Dave
29th March 2009, 20:57
As long as you enjoy your ride it don't matter a damn what brand or model it is.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1KZKZs-2YM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P1KZKZs-2YM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Patrick
2nd April 2009, 14:44
What model was it?

vgcspares
2nd April 2009, 14:47
until today the only Harley I'd ridden was an 883 Sportster - today I got to play on a Night Rod

Like chalk and cheese in one dept - the twist grip actually worked as an accelerator rather than just volume control tho redlining it was a waste of effort

Still felt like a plank if you waggled the bars and still drifted in an aimless (read ponderous) fashion at walking speed

Nearly made a ZX10 rider falloff when I waved at him ....

Patrick
2nd April 2009, 15:12
Nearly made a ZX10 rider falloff when I waved at him ....

You were stunt riding??????????????????????????????????

cc rider
2nd April 2009, 15:17
Years ago I bought my partner an old 'shovel lowrider' just to get him off the jappas, now.... I own a honda :doh:

wbks
2nd April 2009, 15:24
You were stunt riding??????????????????????????????????u so funny .................

Bonez
2nd April 2009, 16:27
Years ago I bought my partner an old 'shovel lowrider' just to get him off the jappas, now.... I own a honda :doh:The nicest people ride them you know.....................

crazybigal
2nd April 2009, 16:36
V rod!!! haha dont make me laugh!!
i know someone who got one from new, 200k to a tank of gas, rides like a tractor, and is now worth 1/2 what he paid for it after a year.

Big Dave
2nd April 2009, 17:04
rides like a tractor,

The ones I have tested most certainly do not.

They have cruiser style ground clearance.

The rest of the handling, braking and cornering is as good as anything in that style of motorcycle from Japan or Europe and it has an engine that is quite aprilia-like in character.

98tls
2nd April 2009, 17:09
V rod!!! haha dont make me laugh!!
i know someone who got one from new, 200k to a tank of gas, rides like a tractor, and is now worth 1/2 what he paid for it after a year. :doh:Sounds like my old TL

doc
2nd April 2009, 17:24
I currently ride a sportsbike and had the opportunity to ride a harley the other week, a different experience and I enjoyed the ride. I guess the point I would like to make, is we all have one thing in common and that is we all ride a motorbike and that we enjoy that unique experience. I like Harleys but I just prefer to ride a sportsbike, nothing wrong with that.:woohoo:

This the part I can't get my head around. HD is what motorcycles were all about , people used bikes as a cheaper form of transport. HD blinged them up , marketing sucess in many ways. Other people ride race replicas and complain that they can't use them to their potential. Or grizzle about getting caught when they do. There was a thread about the good ole days recently, the good ole speeds weren't what the race replicas could do with the techo advances with suspensions and tyres etc, but they didn't have trackdays like they do now. My view most of us who want to ride suit the naked or HD forrmula. Those that want to ride the replicas do it on the track. Just let each to their own. :argh: Give the bashing a rest except for the good natured stuff.Take it out on ACC or somethin

Molly
2nd April 2009, 19:24
Give the bashing a rest except for the good natured stuff.Take it out on ACC or somethin

Agreed. Hondas are shit though eh? ;-)

Bonez
2nd April 2009, 19:33
A triumph owner once said he'd never own anything beginning with "H". A Suzuki rider once said Triumphs were only for other people. Oh and Honda riders are gay, real Kawkas are green, a guzzi rider said guzzis where overrated for what they are and the flying spagatti monster created the universe as we know it...................................

doc
2nd April 2009, 19:34
Agreed. Hondas are shit though eh? ;-)

Well the ones with four wheels are.

wbks
2nd April 2009, 19:51
The ones I have tested most certainly do not.

They have cruiser style ground clearance.

The rest of the handling, braking and cornering is as good as anything in that style of motorcycle from Japan or Europe and it has an engine that is quite aprilia-like in character.Shhh! Thats just not how it goes, OK?! They're also too loud and sound like shit, leak oil and are the downturn of modern civilization.

ducatilover
2nd April 2009, 20:12
I have ridden an 883 sporty. not too sure on age but it was as i expected. Certainly not my style of bike, I hate sitting back. But thats just me. Mind you, that new xr1200 is a sexy sexy sexy bike:niceone:

Molly
2nd April 2009, 20:47
They're also too loud and sound like shit
Some are too loud and those with drag pipes do sound shit. Mine's not too loud though and it sounds f'kin' wonderful! It is <i>the</i> sound of motorcycling.

They leak oil
Not true.

and are the downturn of modern civilization.
Eh?

I think you protest too much. If you want one, buy one. <_<

cc rider
3rd April 2009, 01:30
The nicest people ride them you know.....................

I can do nice if I have too, but not all the time, right? :devil2: :innocent:

Whynot
3rd April 2009, 02:44

yep, so whats your point?

Whynot
3rd April 2009, 02:46
real Kawkas are green

agreed

the flying spagatti monster created the universe as we know it...................................

also agreed

cc rider
3rd April 2009, 03:38
agreed

In agreement with that agreed

Green Meanie - I saw Greg Hansford race his KR750 many years ago :cool:

wbks
3rd April 2009, 06:19
Some are too loud and those with drag pipes do sound shit. Mine's not too loud though and it sounds f'kin' wonderful! It is <i>the</i> sound of motorcycling. An un restricted, nice loud t-twin making a whipcrack every time you back off from full throttle sounds better than baffled, muffled pipes that make it more familiar of the last time you ate indian food... Yes?

Not true.
Thats the point. Common thing people say

Eh?

I think you protest too much. If you want one, buy one. <_<
I don't have the $$$ but believe me, next year I'm getting one as soon as a cheap 1200+ comes around

10characters

cave weta
3rd April 2009, 08:31
[QUOTE=wbks;2010368They're also too loud and sound like shit, leak oil and are the downturn of modern civilization.[/QUOTE]

Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato !:lol:

jim.cox
6th April 2009, 08:52
Mind you, that new xr1200 is a sexy sexy sexy bike

Oh No It"s Not

:)

ducatilover
6th April 2009, 11:50
Oh No It"s Not

:)

Must have been looking at my bike...my mistake:innocent:

cs363
7th April 2009, 21:06
Potato Potato Potato Potato Potato !:lol:

Ah yes, but one mans potato is another mans...spud..

Hmm, ok as you were! :laugh:

Bonez
8th April 2009, 05:39
Ah yes, but one mans potato is another mans...spud..

Or Kumara..............

Now there's a thought. A politically correct sounding HD.

Lias
8th April 2009, 08:58
A and the flying spagatti monster created the universe as we know it...................................

But but but it did!

KX500
8th April 2009, 13:34
LMFAO

Why do people bash Harleys ? Really want one but in a dead end job and can not afford one.

Bottom line is - "You do not see the yanks copying rice burner bikes"

99 Superglide was lucky enough to have a go on had torque to burn, cornered like it was on rails, was only a 1340, can only imagine how good the 1584 is. (imagine - at this stage :) )

cave weta
8th April 2009, 16:05
LMFAO

Why do people bash Harleys ?

because their riders are so funny!:spanking:

Monty69
8th April 2009, 16:35
Harleys are shit, but i think all sportsbike riders say that. Fact is, when im 50 years old and want a cruiser, it wont be japanese, it will be a harley. Coz anything else is just a cheap immatation. (when im 50 they will all be eletric anyway :crybaby:)

Molly
8th April 2009, 20:19
because their riders are so funny!:spanking:

I hate that that’s true :-(

Harleys are shit, but i think all sportsbike riders say that.

No. Only the ones who talk out of their arses. :bleh:

KX500
9th April 2009, 10:00
Only downside I can see with Harley owners is the ones that decide to sell their HOG on Trade me, pack of dreamers the majority in this lot. Who going to pay $2000 less than the new price for a 10 year old bike etc, no 2 year - km warranty.

To those dickheads out there that have advertised their HOG for months and months - some cases years - have a think that maybe your price is the bearing factor why you have to keep hitting the re-list button every couple of weeks.

awayatc
9th April 2009, 10:07
well....lets say "hypothetecly speaking of course",
you split up with the missus,
and she gets half of what you own....
So you say, sure I will sell my bike and give you your half as soon as it sells....

Just Hypotheticly speaking of course.....

KX500
9th April 2009, 10:19
Hehe yeah be right in some cases - good point :niceone:

Curently 493 Harleys listed and climbing, lot of divorces amongst Harley owners :argue: when 400 are over priced.

"Cook the MAN some Eggs Bethy" :bash:

awayatc
9th April 2009, 10:28
swap a mole for a hog....?

Thought that was called a "Fair trade agreement.."

Big Dave
9th April 2009, 10:44
Some of them keep them for sale just in case some schmuck has a soft spot for it.

Happens.

I do wonder if some of the knew that you can rent one for a few weekends a year at a reasonable rate from AMPS.

KX500
9th April 2009, 10:44
YeaH ! Kaiapoi been the place to get them for decades, might head out there tonight and prowl the bridge bar for some "trading power" :scooter:

Headbanger
9th April 2009, 12:30
To those dickheads out there that have advertised their HOG for months and months - some cases years - have a think that maybe your price is the bearing factor why you have to keep hitting the re-list button every couple of weeks.

And maybe some dickheads can't comprehend that perhaps some people are quite happy to hold onto their gear if there are no buyers currently prepared to pay the asking price.

That same dickhead probably has no idea about the price difference between models.

KX500
9th April 2009, 15:06
Sheks for a moment there I thought you were calling me a dickhead - you a lucky man. Get your hand of it and price your old hog accordingly instead of trying to get your money back on extras, people don't care that you were silly enough to pay $320 for a plastic fake chrome skull from the harley dealership.

Molly
9th April 2009, 17:28
Sheks for a moment there I thought you were calling me a dickhead - you a lucky man. Get your hand of it and price your old hog accordingly instead of trying to get your money back on extras, people don't care that you were silly enough to pay $320 for a plastic fake chrome skull from the harley dealership.

Prices of new HDs have fallen for the past few years as Harley realise that Kiwis earn shit money (it's frustrating to visit Australia and see the bikes for less dollars when salaries there are generally higher). Anyway, I suppose people are reluctant to take a big hit in order to trade up and that's why they're asking unrealistic prices.

I bought a new HD recently (96" Fat Bob) and it was just a few grand more than a lot of second-hand bikes up to eight years old. It's a f'kin' good bike but I still think my Guzzi has more character. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've had it for a few years. Goes like shit off a shovel though (comparatively speaking).

scumdog
9th April 2009, 19:50
Prices of new HDs have fallen for the past few years as Harley realise that Kiwis earn shit money (it's frustrating to visit Australia and see the bikes for less dollars when salaries there are generally higher). Anyway, I suppose people are reluctant to take a big hit in order to trade up and that's why they're asking unrealistic prices.

I bought a new HD recently (96" Fat Bob) and it was just a few grand more than a lot of second-hand bikes up to eight years old. It's a f'kin' good bike but I still think my Guzzi has more character. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've had it for a few years. Goes like shit off a shovel though (comparatively speaking).

The shit money has nothing to do with it, - more that the glut of HD's on NZ roads make it a supply-and-demand thing, they aren't as hard to get hold of anymore.

Ask anybody how many HD's were around 20 years ago and what their relative prices were like for an example of that.

rosie631
9th April 2009, 20:02
And maybe some dickheads can't comprehend that perhaps some people are quite happy to hold onto their gear if there are no buyers currently prepared to pay the asking price.

That same dickhead probably has no idea about the price difference between models.
LOL Love your signature - FOG

cs363
9th April 2009, 20:06
The shit money has nothing to do with it, - more that the glut of HD's on NZ roads make it a supply-and-demand thing, they aren't as hard to get hold of anymore.

Ask anybody how many HD's were around 20 years ago and what their relative prices were like for an example of that.

Dead right, and in fact the exchange rate was worse back then too (as were HD's! All BS aside they have improved quite a bit since then) I remember working as a salesman in a Hamilton bike shop and even though I wasn't a big HD fan I used to love trading or buying them as the sticker price and relative scarcity made them a reasonably easy high dollar sale which of course meant good commission.
Most of them were bought by people who came down from Coromandel and paid cash in brown paper bags that often had remnants of horticultural samples left in the bottom.... :laugh:

Now the resale is really no better than your average Japanese bike, and much the same can be said for most European bikes now too.

Molly
9th April 2009, 20:08
The shit money has nothing to do with it, - more that the glut of HD's on NZ roads make it a supply-and-demand thing, they aren't as hard to get hold of anymore. Ask anybody how many HD's were around 20 years ago and what their relative prices were like for an example of that.

I guess you can pick up an older big block (say, 1990s Evo) for around $15,000 but that's still a lot of money for a lot of people. That said, there isn't much worth having in any brand for less than $10,000 (oh fuck... INCOMING!).

KX500
9th April 2009, 20:10
Yeah the buyers set the price.

Like Harley guy in here said while back they will have to drop and "some" finally are ?

Fatboy Himmm "Arnie would be proud" :) Kool looking Stead !

How much more torque does your 96 feel to have over a 1340 ? What size ya Guzzie Molly ?

davereid
9th April 2009, 20:11
I enjoyed my 1200 Sportster, it was fun to ride and sounded great. There was no getting away from the fact that it was very very old school, but actually I never saw that as a deficiency.

In a way its the typically american car and bike industry - leave the old technology, but bling up the paint.

That actually doesnt matter if the purchaser isnt looking for a playstation.

And I got what I paid for it when I sold it.

On the other hand, I sold it.. it did need to go..

Good on you Patrick for helping the fella out. I'm unlikely to get pinged drunk.. but if I ever lose my licence for speeding, I hope you are there to drive my bike / v8 / classic car somewhere safe.

scumdog
9th April 2009, 20:12
I guess you can pick up an older big block (say, 1990s Evo) for around $15,000 but that's still a lot of money for a lot of people. That said, there isn't much worth having in any brand for less than $10,000 (oh fuck... INCOMING!).

A 1990's Evo?

About $12,000+ will get you a reasonable on if you shop around.

Headbanger
9th April 2009, 21:03

Of course I was calling you a dickhead, Look how well the term suits you. I bet your head is actually the shape of a penis.

KX500
9th April 2009, 21:18
Come Forkhead as that the best you can do after taking things "Personal" I did not blanket all, which lends itself to you "touching your own nerve" being honest with yourself for once that your bike is over priced.

This is downside of guys like you that opted for the easy route and dropped out in the 4th form, your level of education shows - economic studies in the 5th form at your school A ?

Molly
9th April 2009, 21:20
How much more torque does your 96 feel to have over a 1340 ? What size ya Guzzie Molly ?

Again, it's all relative etc. but the new 96" motor seems to have a shitload of midrange and lunges forward with each gear change all the way up to and including sixth (needs more ground clearance though). That said, I had an Evo Springer a few years ago and it never felt like it was lacking.

Guzzi is a 2001 1100 Sport. It's only 80bhp and is also heavy but I just love it (pics in my gallery).

...being honest with yourself for once that your bike is over priced. This is downside of guys like you that opted for the easy route and dropped out in the 4th form, your level of education shows - economic studies in the 5th form at your school A ?

Some things you buy with your heart, not your head so resale isn't really a factor. It doesn't mean a person's dumb; just passionate.

MadDuck
9th April 2009, 21:24
Only downside I can see with Harley owners is the ones that decide to sell their HOG on Trade me .

How does a Harley become a HOG? How can you sell a HOG on Trademe?
Do you sell it under animal thingies or summit?

Patrick you sure know how to get a reaction :bleh:

Headbanger
9th April 2009, 21:43
Come Forkhead as that the best you can do after taking things "Personal" I did not blanket all, which lends itself to you "touching your own nerve" being honest with yourself for once that your bike is over priced.

This is downside of guys like you that opted for the easy route and dropped out in the 4th form, your level of education shows - economic studies in the 5th form at your school A ?

Your worthy of being called a dickhead and no more.

scumdog
9th April 2009, 21:46
How does a Harley become a HOG? How can you sell a HOG on Trademe?
Do you sell it under animal thingies or summit?

Harleys got the name hog from waaaay back....

Google it and find out.

MadDuck
9th April 2009, 21:49
Google it and find out.

Cant be arsed to be honest and the HOG thing has been done to death on here. Am over it.

KX500
9th April 2009, 22:24
"You too easy Folkhead" no challenge - let me know next time you down this way

Headbanger
9th April 2009, 22:38
"You too easy Folkhead" no challenge - let me know next time you down this way

Any why would I do that child?

LMFAO.

Pathetic, petty, deluded and stupid little troll.

KX500
9th April 2009, 22:53
Hard laugh then eh ?

So I can meet you and see if you just as vocal.

Sounds good Molly.

Either sell the bike or keep it, its not passion its greed wanting ridiculous prices for old bikes with high K's.

Headbanger
9th April 2009, 22:58
So I can meet you and see if you just as vocal.

Suggest you look up pathetic in the dictionary. Nice England by the way.

KX500
9th April 2009, 23:01
Come on give me a good healthy serve - This chessy crap you coming up with weak

u4ea
9th April 2009, 23:06

Ive had a couple of rides on the famous hog. Last one was a 1340 over the Rimatakas. One before that was a 1450 . I reckon they need to be customised to meet the rider. Girl you are on the money. In saying that if anyone took my steed without consent and didnt return her in the same condition................Ide be pissed.......

Patrick
11th April 2009, 16:29
Good on you Patrick for helping the fella out. I'm unlikely to get pinged drunk.. but if I ever lose my licence for speeding, I hope you are there to drive my bike / v8 / classic car somewhere safe.

Cool. Burnouts and fanging it on someone elses tyres is so much more fun....

I heard that one somewhere......:innocent:

Wasn't my intention for this thread at all.... just relating a story. Dickhead pissed on a bike, me being there to secure it, otherwise he was gonna lose it, because he wanted to leave it there on the steering lock, nothing more. That one was shit... I am sure others are far better, but that one was SHIT!!!!

You should see the "reactions" when I am actually trying........ :laugh: