PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.. some pointers pls..

Repsol_NSR
5th March 2005, 22:26
hi everyone

just want to introduce myself as a newbie in this forum

have introduced myself to the biker's world by acquiring a '90 2stroker Honda MC21 NSR250 a couple of weeks ago

the bike needs a bit of attention to bring it up to 'my spec'. it's got :
- windshield full of scratches blemishes oxidation etc
- cracked tail piece here and there
- possibly a tune up (drips a bit of fuel after a long ride, not much, but it'd be good if it's not there)
- might a full paint job

i was just wondering if you guys could put me to the right direction

need to know a decent tune-up place with good labour rate in akl especially north shore area

also where to go to get replacement for the windshield, thinking of getting a dark tint one

any idea how much single color paint job would cost ? anyone can hook me up ?

any suggestion on :
- how often to do a service
- what to do for regular service
- what oil and chain oil to use (currently using Castrol R2 and WD40 for the chain)

i really appreciate any help

thanks fellas

:2thumbsup

loosebruce
5th March 2005, 23:34
Hey there mate, welcome to the site.

Nice bike ya got there, i have the MC28 (which i'm still trying to get running but am on the right track).

There are a few a/m screen makers about, not sure on screens that old you may have to get a stock one and maybe get it tinted if you want to go dark. Any Honda dealer should be able to hook you up, otherwise do a quick search on the net for a/m screens, guys like powerbronze etc.
Kerry at Motohaus can do plastic welding for your tail peice, there are a few other guys round that can do it though.
The paint, well you could borrow my compressor and spray gun if it wasn't in welly, must get round to getting it up here sometime, sure someone on here will be able to help you out, could be rather expensive otherwise.
Ask around for a good 2 storke tuner, i haven't been in Auckland long enough to find out, Possibly Mt Eden M/Cycles would be my first bet.

I'd get your NSR serviced now, and the pistons and rings etc checked out. Then rule of the thumb is piston and rings every 10,000kms, some people do it sooner others leave it longer, those who leave it longer are lucky or unlucky to weather the engine throws the towel in. Your choice, better to be safe i reckon. When it's serviced they will check and sort everything that needs to be sorted and will tell you everything they do and have done.
As long as the oil you use is a quality two storke, dont cheap out on it, price up the amount you save to the possible engine damage!
WD40 for chain, heard a few peeps using it, but i use Sikolene Titainum Chain gel, very good stuff, or any chain oil really, Motul, Castrol etc.

Hope to catch you on a ride soon :niceone:

Biff
5th March 2005, 23:44
I'm afraid I can't help as I'm not a local to Ackl- but welcome anyway. :spudwave:

inlinefour
6th March 2005, 06:55
hi everyone

just want to introduce myself as a newbie in this forum

have introduced myself to the biker's world by acquiring a '90 2stroker Honda MC21 NSR250 a couple of weeks ago

the bike needs a bit of attention to bring it up to 'my spec'. it's got :
- windshield full of scratches blemishes oxidation etc
- cracked tail piece here and there
- possibly a tune up (drips a bit of fuel after a long ride, not much, but it'd be good if it's not there)
- might a full paint job

i was just wondering if you guys could put me to the right direction

need to know a decent tune-up place with good labour rate in akl especially north shore area

also where to go to get replacement for the windshield, thinking of getting a dark tint one

any idea how much single color paint job would cost ? anyone can hook me up ?

any suggestion on :
- how often to do a service
- what to do for regular service
- what oil and chain oil to use (currently using Castrol R2 and WD40 for the chain)

i really appreciate any help

thanks fellas

:2thumbsup

If it does not affect the running of the bike, I generally do not get too concerned. However the fact that the bike is leaking fuel is of a major concern. Also I would think that a good tune up might be in order and a mechanic could give you an idea on when the next rebuild might be needed. The NSR is a great little bike that will go extremely fast. However if regular maintainance is not kept up with and the bike is still ridden hard, then the motor can expire in a rather fatal way.
Don't know about everyone else re: parts and labour in AKL (I'm in the Naki), but unless the chain is O-ring, just use clean motor oil to lube it and while your at it also lube the top of all cables to avoid moisture and eventual failure (I've never snapped a cable since doing this). :niceone:

DEATH_INC.
6th March 2005, 07:34
I can hook you up for a paintjob,cost will depend on how good you want the finish.I have a car painter mate whoo does an adequate job(it'll look ok when finished )and he's cheap,or I have another who does a top notch(you won't find better in nz)job and can provide decals etc,but he's not cheap......There may also be a third who does a pretty good job,he's a mate of one of my workmates so I couldn't comment on the price,but he did a friends car recently at a good price.
Welcome to the asylum ..... :wari:

Dr Bob
6th March 2005, 07:43
Welcome to Kiwibiker, I'm not much help on two strokes, the only one I have is the suzuki in the gargre that my neighbour gave me - but that's just for mowing the lawns.

Your windscreen is one thing that you will have to do something about as if there is any visual impairment then it might fail a warrant. Cracks in the tail can be fixed, but it does depend on the material, is it plastic or glass?

Again, welcome to the community.

6Chris6
6th March 2005, 07:51
Surely someone must know a decent 2 stoke tuner in Auckland.
Would like to know myself.

XTC
6th March 2005, 08:04
is it plastic or glass?
Will be plastic. Glass is not used for motorcycle screens for obvious reasons. Try visual screens. They advertise in Bike mart/kiwi rider.

Coyote
6th March 2005, 08:21
Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

Is this NSR your very first bike?

Dr Bob
6th March 2005, 09:27
Will be plastic. Glass is not used for motorcycle screens for obvious reasons. Try visual screens. They advertise in Bike mart/kiwi rider.
fibre glass - for the tail

Repsol_NSR
6th March 2005, 09:35
hi guys

thanks for the very friendly welcome and replies

the screen is plastic

now i'm getting worried about the fuel drips, i guess i better get it looked at ASAP before it becomes major prob

keep the suggestion coming guys

don't forget to point me to the right direction for a decent 2 stroke tuner in akl especially north shore

look forward to catch up with you all

:niceone:

Wolf
6th March 2005, 10:39
I'm afraid I can't help as I'm not a local to Ackl- but welcome anyway. :spudwave:
What he said.

Welcome to our happy throng.

Started out on 2-strokes myself - great fun. Changing to 4-srokes can be educational (they respond and perform differently).

All the best with getting your bike up to scratch.

Joni
6th March 2005, 10:43
No great constructive pointers from me.... :spudwhat:
But Hello anyway!!!! :spudwave:
Welcome....Have fun!!!

Madguitarist!
6th March 2005, 12:24
Hey Repsol and welcome! WHere's abouts are you on the shore??? I'm in Torbay. Maybe I could taka a look at it for you first? I was kinda pretty handy with 2-strokes back in the days........ :cool:

But I'll give AJ at cyclespot Honda a ring tomorrow and ask him to recommend a good pro tuner for ya!!

Anyways, if you not too far and wanna hook up for a chat and what-not, give me a call or txt at 021-630656. :niceone:

Repsol_NSR
6th March 2005, 15:23
Hey Repsol and welcome! WHere's abouts are you on the shore??? I'm in Torbay. Maybe I could taka a look at it for you first? I was kinda pretty handy with 2-strokes back in the days........ :cool:

But I'll give AJ at cyclespot Honda a ring tomorrow and ask him to recommend a good pro tuner for ya!!

Anyways, if you not too far and wanna hook up for a chat and what-not, give me a call or txt at 021-630656. :niceone:

will do indeed

really appreciate that mate :)

i really to get someone to take a look at the bike thoroughly especially with the fuel dripping problem

hopefully i don't have to travel out of auckland to find a good tuner

Madguitarist!
7th March 2005, 13:26
Hey Repsol,

Aparently, Ray Clee is the man for 2-strokers. He owns/runs RCM Performance out in Henderson, no: 838 2036.

Give him a buzz bro! :niceone:

Repsol_NSR
8th March 2005, 22:37
will do indeed

now i know 1 in henderson, anyone knows any decent tuner in north shore ?

i notice i got a funny flapping noise, intermittently, regarless rpm/speed, that makes me really worried

i hate to have the motor go 'bang' on me when i'm in the middle of nowhere

what are the symptoms of dying engine ?

Madguitarist!
8th March 2005, 23:25
Is the falpping noise only when you are moving? Or does it happen when you are stationary?

Would be easier to diagnose if I heard it first hand. Give me a buzz and I'll come take a look if you like. :cool:

Shoota
9th March 2005, 13:08
My advice is to patch up the fuel leak without spending to much cash on her, and ride her to death till you can get a bigger bike, you will probably get bored with the 250 pretty quickly and spending money on it is just over capitolizing. besides 250s are for learnin on and dropping , just get out there and have fun....
cheers ....

bugjuice
9th March 2005, 13:21
anyone heard of Ricky Porter? 2 stroke dude who can't stand 4 strokers. He normally races, but for the right beer, he could do some work on your bike. He's done a few bikes I've seen and seems to know his stuff. He'd be able to source some stuff for you too, as well as tinker up your stroker. Can't remember the exact location, but I think it was heading out Takanini way off GSR. Also can't remember his number, but I'm sure he's in the book and is known in the circles.. I know he's not over the shore way, but I've been told he's one of the better ones so the trip could be worth it.

Else try some of the places down Barry's Point road, see what those shops say. Not used them before tho, but there's Honda Cyclespot there..

welcome btw ;)

ktulu
9th March 2005, 13:29
I certainly reccomend ray at RCM performance as said above and I would definitely not suggest spectrum who areover on the shore.

My RGV seized and everyone who has been filled in with the details have pointed to major failings in the work that was done at spectrum but I took it to ray after it was seized and he delt to it good and proper and made it like new again, highly reccomend him for sure, he's not cheap, or close to you but if you are looking for the cheap and lazy option then you will never get your bike running 100% anyway.

I have had my bike in to kerry at motohaus aswell and they have done a top notch job there so I would reccomend them aswell.

ManDownUnder
9th March 2005, 14:03
Hey chap - welcome aboard.

Re the bike - the only advice is try a little Armourall on your windscreen - it works really well on some (strange I know... but there you have it).

Re the site - sit back and join in as you go along... there is the usual good bad an ugly in here, and if you stuff up feel free to put your hand up and say so. It's no big thing and you'll get along with everyone a lot better if you do than argue your way out (like one or two in here try to do... for effect as much as anything).

Enjoy!
MDU