PDA

View Full Version : Coolant for mc22?

Dirty_Harri
22nd March 2009, 09:44
Hey, searched the maintenance forum but have found nothing on which antifreeze to use for an mc22. Any ideas?

Gubb
22nd March 2009, 09:56
...There's more than one?

Dirty_Harri
22nd March 2009, 10:11
...There's more than one?

I'm not sure...I just assumed that because the mc22 revs so high that it might need more protection. i.e an coolant that increases the boiling point.

Gubb
22nd March 2009, 10:20
Bog standard. Buy it from your local petrol station. It's usually 1 part coolant, 3 parts water. Read the bottle.

Going by that logic, I guess you wouldn't need Coolant for a Harley, you could just run it on mud?

Dirty_Harri
22nd March 2009, 10:28
Bog standard. Buy it from your local petrol station. It's usually 1 part coolant, 3 parts water. Read the bottle.

Going by that logic, I guess you wouldn't need Coolant for a Harley, you could just run it on mud?

I was asking about whether I would need a better coolant, never debating the fact that you need it to start with...

but thanks for your input.

xwhatsit
22nd March 2009, 10:34
I cool my CB250 with mud, dust, and thin air. Maybe that's why it only revs to 9000rpm :bleh:

The Pastor
22nd March 2009, 11:29

considering most of them are air cooled, no you dont need coolant!

Cloggy
22nd March 2009, 12:16
Antifreeze mixed with water is not the best coolant but it is a very good compromise hence it is widely used.
Just water cools better but gives no protection from corrosion.
Water with Red Line Water Wetter added cools better than just water and gives protection from corrosion. It doesn't protect against freezing though.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

mark247
22nd March 2009, 12:49
Antifreeze mixed with water is not the best coolant but it is a very good compromise hence it is widely used.
Water with Red Line Water Wetter added cools better than just water and gives protection from corrosion. It doesn't protect against freezing though.

You can get that stuff from BNT, which is everywhere. Just thought I'd say...

Dirty_Harri
22nd March 2009, 13:00

Thanks Cloggy! I always appreciate an educated reply. :)

Gubb
22nd March 2009, 13:02
considering most of them are air cooled, no you dont need coolant!

Ha. Good point. Seen any more Motorrad's lately?

:Pokey:

The Pastor
22nd March 2009, 14:01
Nope, just those pesky bmw motards.

Racin Jason
30th March 2009, 14:08
I dont think id be too worried about it. They rev really high but seem to cool very well. My girlfiend has a MC22. When i first picked it up(crashed) i ran it to get it hot and make sure the fan would come on. Man it took forever! It will idle all day long and the fan wont go. If you ask me its one of most efficient cooling systems ive seen.

But anyway i use silkolene procool in all my road bikes, it mixes 50/50 with water.

NOMIS
30th March 2009, 14:19
I just use my stash i have from my days at holden - think i still have 2x4L bottles of the genuine GM stuff, $58 a bottle that stuff and i got it all freeeeee!!! - got to love Warrantee work..

dipshit
30th March 2009, 17:10
Hey, searched the maintenance forum but have found nothing on which antifreeze to use for an mc22. Any ideas?

Preston antifreeze premixed ready to go 50/50 is as good as anything.

Just got a 4L pack today myself from supercheap for $14.95

LBD
31st March 2009, 02:46

All antifreeze is mixed with water...

Firstly, today we should not refer to the liquid as antifreeze , as Genevieve correctly termed it, it is engine coolant and it serves several functions inside an engine. Water is the best heat transfer medium but water freezes and boils and corrodes and erodes and foams and....

So to improve the basic properties of water we add glycol to increase the boiling point and lower the freezing point. Glycol concentrations beyond 65% in the coolant are excessive so 50% is a good target. Cloggys observation about adding water is correct with quality coolants. These are termed premixed (Water already added) They have the benifit of having a quality water added at the manufacturing satge eliminating the chance of using unsuitably contaminated water to your system.

Other additives are corrosion inhibitors, anti foaming agents, wetting agents deoxyginators.

My advice to you is to head down to your local bottl.......service station and find a good PREMIXED coolant suitable for aluminum engines. Mobil Shell BP caltex all have them, and run with that. I run Shell in mine and I make it work.

Cheers

Joking about liquid coolants for air cooled bikes is so yesterday....renegade master