PDA

View Full Version : OK road rules experts.

FROSTY
6th March 2005, 11:34
Two vehicles are side by side in seperate lanes. Straight road. The road merges down into one lane. Who Gives way to who.The situation I am specificly talking about is at a set of traffic lights.
Both vehicles stopped ,both in clearly defined lanes.
30-50m past the lights the lane markings just dissapear and the road gradually narrows to 1 lane. Both vehicles acelerate at the same pace
Does the guy in the left lane give way to the guy in the right lane or vicey vercy. Or is it a case of "might is right?'
for the sake of argument they are both driving kwasudaha DRSEBHY 1500's

Racey Rider
6th March 2005, 11:46
In Theory -
The one who will get hit in the drivers door gives way. (:spudwhat: I Think?)

In Practice -
If it's two cars,, :whocares:

If it's two bikes,, The Kawasaki has right of way! :spudbooge

If it's two Kawasaki's,, Might is right :niceone:

avgas
6th March 2005, 12:03
if there is one on the right lane, it has the intention of passing - however the left vehicle does not have to give way. But if u look at the merging strips, the left lane dissapears, not the right - meaning the person on the left is to give way to the person on the right.
hope this helps.
of coarse this all goes to hell at 140+kph :2thumbsup

pritch
6th March 2005, 12:26
New Plymouth has a number of these so the drivers here should have it sussed. Yeah right!!!

I would think that the guy changing lanes has to give way but it is sort of a grey area and the cops generally won't want to know. If you asked you would probably get a blank stare and a mumbled comment about courtesy.

So all the sensible people are in the right lane and a hoon comes racing up the inside of thirty cars and wants to cut in at speed immediately before the bridge. How much courtesy exactly is he due, and would he understand the meaning of the word anyway?

Holy Roller
6th March 2005, 12:31
if there is one on the right lane, it has the intention of passing - however the left vehicle does not have to give way. But if u look at the merging strips, the left lane dissapears, not the right - meaning the person on the left is to give way to the person on the right.
hope this helps.
of coarse this all goes to hell at 140+kph :2thumbsup
Always assumed that right had to give way as it forms a passing lane

sAsLEX
6th March 2005, 12:34
its meant to be the good old game of chicken, whoever yeilds first has to give way! pt

John
6th March 2005, 12:34
I thought that the right hadto give way to for a zip type merge..

If a kawaski is around it has right of way always

bugjuice
6th March 2005, 14:04
i reckon it depends on merit. If the vehicle which moved into the right lane had intentions of overtaking but a) doesn't have enuff grunt to see it thru, or b) the overtakee is a tosser and speeds up, then the person on the right should give it up. If the person on the right gets ahead, but hasn't completely overtaken, but is ahead, then the vehicle on the left should let it pass..
I think the laws go on merit here, but I think the law thinks courtesy should be more important.. Or it's just balls out..

ajturbo
6th March 2005, 14:11
This very thing happend to me today...
i was in the van.(nissan homey) a woman in left hand lane.. in a big car...
i was in front the whole time..(read. she was in my blind spot, but i knew she was there)
but i see it as
she can see me all the time... i cannot... therefor she either speeds up...or gives way.. hell all it takes is to lift foot of throtle for a split second .....

btw... i thought i had r/way ... so keep my place...lol :shake:

FROSTY
6th March 2005, 14:17
HMM -ok well differing views.
The situation I am specificly talking about is at a set of traffic lights.
30-50m past the lights the lane markings just dissapear and the road gradually narrows to 1 lane. Both vehicles acelerate at the same pace
Who gives way?

Jackrat
6th March 2005, 15:14
Give way to your right unless on a controlled intersection..
Come on, when did anybody here last read a bloody road code.

Jeremy
6th March 2005, 15:16
I'd say that the person in the right hand lane would automatically have right of way. Why?

Because your not allowed to overtake on the left. So as soon as the lanes dissapear the person on the left has to drop behind those on the right.

DEATH_INC.
6th March 2005, 15:18
If both lanes merge into one (not the left dissapearing into the right or vice-versa)then the guy in front goes first,but in the event of both vehicles being even,it IS just courtesy.....Same with a motorway onramp,the lane merges and the left line stops where the onramp joins the motorway,the vehicle coming down the onramp has as much right to the left motorway lane as the guy already on it....... :confused:

Skyryder
6th March 2005, 15:28
Two vehicles are side by side in seperate lanes. Straight road. The road merges down into one lane. Who Gives way to who.The situation I am specificly talking about is at a set of traffic lights.
Does the guy in the left lane give way to the guy in the right lane or vicey vercy. Or is it a case of "might is right?'

Where there is a lane merging, the driver in the merging lane gives way. This is usually the inside lane. The driver in the right hand land is not deemed to be merging as their lane continues after the 'merg' lane has ended.

Skyryder

T.I.E
6th March 2005, 15:36
simple rule bck to basics give way to traffic on your right. there are two lanes not an overtaking lane, the give way to your right applies. if they are exactally the same in speed and postion still give way to your right applies. if your in a passing lane other rules apply. this is not one of them. person in the right has the right of way.

avgas
6th March 2005, 15:42
so did i, but rule one of any sort of road law states:
"Give way to all traffic going a) straight across your path, or b) on your right", been told by a copper that this apply's on multiple lanes as well.
Also the left lanes closes, so really the left vehicle is 'turning' into the right lane, and turning traffic must give way to all traffic 'going straight through' and all traffic 'comming from the right'.
i still give way if im in the right lane though - as i like being a 'nice guy' on the roads, people who are in a hurry all the time are just jerks. :angry2: why cant they get hit.

spudchucka
6th March 2005, 15:56
If the left lane ends then the vehicle in that lane has to move across the dividing line into the right hand lane. They would have to indicate for three seconds and then merge, giving way to through traffic.

TwoSeven
6th March 2005, 17:10

The rule has always been give way to the right.

So it also includes funnily enough, giving way to the car that is on your right.

The only time when you wouldnt do that, is if your vehicle is slightly in front of his (like by a bit of a car length and its obvious) - then its courtesy for him to give way, but you are still supposed to.

Thats how I was tought it.

MacD
6th March 2005, 17:19
Give way to your right unless on a controlled intersection..
Come on, when did anybody here last read a bloody road code.

Yep, this seems the rule most likely to apply.

MSTRS
6th March 2005, 18:40
There are a number of the described intersections in Napier. IE both lanes after a set of traffic lights just merge towrds each other until they become one lane. The vehicle in the left lane must give way. In the case of many vehicles in each lane then starting as above, the courtesy zipper applies.

DEATH_INC.
6th March 2005, 18:46
If the left lane ends then the vehicle in that lane has to move across the dividing line into the right hand lane. They would have to indicate for three seconds and then merge, giving way to through traffic.
Yes,but what frosty's saying is that neither lane ends,they just stop the middle line so they become one.....

Skunk
6th March 2005, 18:48
Give way to the right.

In this case (no merging lane, just both lanes becoming one) if there is a collision you could find both drivers being charged and at fault. (Asked a cop once for some reason :whistle: )

Rainbow Wizard
6th March 2005, 20:27
Always assume the give way if I'm on the left, because those on my right are usually only there if passing or intending to pass.

Truth of the matter: He who has less aggression and/or less power and acceleration.

FROSTY
6th March 2005, 20:42
well that clears that up then dunnit -left laner gives way to right laner

speedpro
6th March 2005, 20:48
well that clears that up then dunnit -left laner gives way to right laner

Unless the person on the left is on a Kawasaki.

Sheep Dags
6th March 2005, 21:13
but in this situation where noone in particular is passing anyone - it's just 2 lanes merging into one after some lights (not the left lane closing out or anything), then I would have thought it's whoever is in front. because if they do hit, you have to assume that the person behind would have easily seen the other car (either if it was on their left or right) so could have let them in, whereas the person in front may not be able to see the other car, and if they keep their line, should not be at fault. i've always been told that if in this case, the 2 cars do collide, the fault is with the car that is behind (even if only slightly).
And the "give way to the right lane" rule shouldn't apply cause haven't you guys all seen those "merge like a zip" signs? they contradict the "give way to the right lane guy" rule that most people think is right. if people did give way to everyone on their right after traffic lights when the lanes merged, all the people in the left lane would have to stop and wait for all of the people in the right lane to go, and that's just not cricket

scumdog
7th March 2005, 01:12
Putting my neck out (hell, it hurt enough when I put my back out!) but the lane that goes straight through has right of way and generally it's the left hand lane that 'veers' to the right to join onto the 'straight-through' right hand lane ergo the left hand lane gives way.

Having said that most drivers in a situation similar to yours just do the 'zip' thing i.e. one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right....................... did that kind of explain it?? :blink: :unsure: :blink:

inlinefour
7th March 2005, 07:41
that you allways give way to the right. Therefore the vechicle in the passing lane has the right of way and the vechicle on the far left gives way.
:wari:

Dr Bob
7th March 2005, 08:54
Give way to the right.

It also makes sense as it is easier to see the left hand side of a vehicle in such a maneavoure than the right hand side of a vehicle when your are in the right hand side of a cage.

Dr Bob
7th March 2005, 08:56
It isn't a passing lane. It is a dual lane carriageway. A passing lane is on a highway and is signposted.

There are no passing lanes in cities, merely multiple lanes to articulate a larger volume of traffic.

Wolf
7th March 2005, 09:23
"Merge like a zip" - but don't get yer pubes caught in the teeth.

My understanding is "give way to the right".

The lanes immediately to the sides of the centre lane are "the road", anything else is an "add-on" and by default are the ones that "end" when the lanes merge to one - therefore the leftmost lane is "finishing" in such cases and traffic in it must signal and merge, giving way to the "real" lane, as Spudchuka said.

Blakamin
7th March 2005, 09:33
There are no passing lanes in cities, merely multiple lanes to articulate a larger volume of traffic.
but it should be considered a passing lane... aren't there signs that say keep left unless passing???

I think the fastest bike wins....

Lou Girardin
7th March 2005, 09:39
Usually the right lane continues and the left lane merges with it. The merging vehicle gives way. Just like a motorway on-ramp.
Give way to your right applies to intersections and turns, not merging lanes.

mouldy
7th March 2005, 10:29
just like racing ,whoevers in front has right of way. Given the same advise by my big bro when I first started :done:

Wolf
7th March 2005, 10:36
Hah! Wimps! Everyone knows that the Hozumaki SVRXGS7 1500's are far superior!

outlawtorn
7th March 2005, 10:39
I reckon the person with the least amount of facial hair has to give way...

Wolf
7th March 2005, 10:42
Kewl, everyone gives way to me!

Oh, he said facial hair.

outlawtorn
7th March 2005, 10:45
:killingme

scumdog
7th March 2005, 11:46

I've seen a few sheilas that would be getting the front spot...... :yeah:

denill
8th March 2005, 11:04
Having said that most drivers in a situation similar to yours just do the 'zip' thing i.e. one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right then one from the the left lane then one from the right then one from the left lane then one from the right....................... did that kind of explain it?? :blink: :unsure: :blink:

Yeah, the zipper process is the optimum (and courteous) and I am happy to adopt that process - But, I think the original thread was describing an intersection that I use a lot that is controlled by lights and three marked lanes. One dedicated to a right turn, one straight ahead, the other turn left <B>and</B> straight ahead. The straight ahead lanes merge into one lane on the other side of the intersection and what pisses me off is sitting in the straight ahead lane waiting for the lights to change and the smart arses take the left lane to que jump the straight ahead lane where it is only wide enough for <B>ONE</B> vehicle.

It is a bugger to be competitive............. Courtesy take a back seat then......

XP@
8th March 2005, 11:51
If you are on the right and doubt the person riding the bike on your left will giveway to you, just reach over and flick their kill switch as they are moving off.
If you do it at the right time then the only merging will be thier bike with the tarmac.