PDA

View Full Version : Broadbean or 56k?

The Pastor
23rd March 2009, 18:24
Just wondering, who on here has 56k or lower speed internet?

The Pastor
23rd March 2009, 19:12
alright who are the 2 people on 56k, and why are you on it?

Mully
23rd March 2009, 20:24
My sister has dialup. She can't get broadband on her exchange, apparently.

It'd drive me mental.

naphazoline
23rd March 2009, 20:46
I'm on dial up.Telecom wont give us broadband,even though they say it's available in our area,(i live 5.75km from town.) when they do a line check.

Tried going through whoosh,and they said yep.Sent me a modem and all the kit,but after 2 weeks i rang them to see what was going on, as i still wasn't hooked up.They said i had to send the modem back,as telecom had denied the use of their lines for the purposes of broadband.

W.T.F:mad:

Telecom need a good kick in the balls,if you ask me.

3umph
23rd March 2009, 20:49
WTF's dialup???

thats some olden days thing is it not :headbang:

Okey Dokey
23rd March 2009, 21:20
Just wondering, why renegade master is worrying about us slow-pokey-old-okey-dokeys? :sunny:

I'm on 28.8kbps. I don't look at videos or big photos here on kb. I don't do you.tube.

I live in the provinces, I can't get broadband, and my business and personal use don't justify satellite linkys.

I guess that answers your question. It ia a cost vs benefit analysis in my case. :yes:

naphazoline
23rd March 2009, 21:27
WTF's dialup???

thats some olden days thing is it not :headbang:

Yeah.Ya start it with a crank handle.;)

3umph
23rd March 2009, 21:35
Yeah.Ya start it with a crank handle.;)

rumour has it that you can not use your phone as well when connected...

AllanB
23rd March 2009, 21:38
rumour has it that you can not use your phone as well when connected...

True - plus it has been proven to be bad for your health.

Waiting that long to see a pair of boobs can cause seriously high blood pressure.....:doctor:

3umph
23rd March 2009, 21:39
True - plus it has been proven to be bad for your health.

Waiting that long to see a pair of boobs can cause seriously high blood pressure.....:doctor:

haha soooo true.... mmmm glad I ditched broadband years ago

Max Preload
23rd March 2009, 21:53
Dial-up here at home. I've never seen the need for what passes for broadband here.

Cloggy
23rd March 2009, 22:13
I remember when we went from a 14.4k modem to 28.8k
Twice the speed!!
Whoohoo :woohoo:

3umph
23rd March 2009, 22:17
I remember when we went from a 14.4k modem to 28.8k
Twice the speed!!
Whoohoo :woohoo:

and then to 56.6kb yeeeehaaaarrrrrrrr.....

I remember transferring game files with a mate.... fuck it took hours to do a 20mb transfer.... now thats under a minute....:clap:

has dial up ever got quicker to connect yet????

Cloggy
23rd March 2009, 22:25
Nope, dial up stayed at 56.6 but they came out with some protocol, V81 or something which was supposed to increase transfer rates. Don't know how. 56.6 = 56.6 = damned slow.
Anyone remember the switch from green screens to colour? Now that was fancy. And then floppy's doubled in storage capacity from 720kb to a whopping 1.44Mb. Why would you need that much storage??:lol:

3umph
23rd March 2009, 22:28
yip I can remember that.... also ram was $100 per mb and a 200mb hard drive was HUGE and people could not dream of filling one up.... haha how times have changed

puddytat
23rd March 2009, 22:29
On a good day I'll get 16.4 kbs.....on a bad day it gets down to 12.0kbs.:yawn:
I can only dream about the videos posted on K.B....
I do have amazing "staying" power though,waiting on some shit to come through...:whistle:

Brian d marge
23rd March 2009, 22:34
but its true 56k..here in Japan I get 100 mbps ( ADVERTISED ) ....actual 1.6 international and 40 internal .... there are two small kanji on the third page of the contact that say .........:finger:

still another provider is laying tracks ,,,so I ll change ....

28k ,,,,,, eeewwww ...most of the work now days is internet ,,,and ALL my tv /movies /p,,,, /books is/are from the net ,,,( now phone , the books load on the phone just fine ,,, )

Stephen

Cloggy
23rd March 2009, 22:36
It gets better than all that.
Who on here is old enough to remember what was probably the first mass sold and "affordable" home computer here in NZ back in '81 or '82 sometime.
From David Reid Electronics (remember them), the mighty Sinclair ZX 81, it had a whopping 1K (yes that is 1024 bytes) of memory.

Max Preload
23rd March 2009, 22:37
I remember transferring game files with a mate.... fuck it took hours to do a 20mb transfer.... now thats under a minute....:clap:

On what plan with which provider does it now take 1 minute to transfer 20MB peer-to-peer? Very few plans I've seen have been more than 128kbps upload (only 4x dialup speed of 33.6kbps), which becomes the bottleneck meaning 20 minutes to transfer 20MB. Either way, I find it difficult to believe you're getting anywhere near 2.5Mbps upload.

has dial up ever got quicker to connect yet????

You mean the dialing & speed negotiating? No. Why would that matter though - it takes just 20 seconds.

Cloggy
23rd March 2009, 22:56
Either way, I find it difficult to believe you're getting anywhere near 2.5Mbps upload.

Not quite 2.5Mbps but at 1.97Mbps it's bloody close to the 2Mbps Telstraclear cable broadband is promising me. Supposed to be up to 10Mbps download so I am quite happy with 8008k (around 7.8Mbps)
It's quite possible Xtra might have burst speeds to 2.5Mbps if you're lucky to get a good connection and are close to the exchange.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/435182131.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Slyer
23rd March 2009, 23:02
yip I can remember that.... also ram was $100 per mb and a 200mb hard drive was HUGE and people could not dream of filling one up.... haha how times have changed
I just downloaded 200mb of robot chicken in under 4 minutes.

Could never do dialup ever again.
(Remembers downloaded shareware games at 0.4kb/s)

T.W.R
23rd March 2009, 23:05
Dial-up here :2thumbsup (currently running @ 46.6Kbps :laugh:)
Investigated getting B/B a while back :puke: dear old telescum wanted close to $700 at the time and got the big :finger: in response, 4mths later they came back with an offer of $400 and got :shake: The cost just isn't worth it :no:

LBD
24th March 2009, 00:15
Takes me 2 to 3 minutes to change a page on this site....I do sudukos to kill the time while surfing....

From a wireless in the camp shared by about 50 other PCs, cable to the admin building, through the internal servers and security systems that can be viewed by the entire IT department, beamed out by Micro wave through repeaters and down to a fibre optic to Bishkek then??? Did I mention the pigeon mail link?

And if its snowing ...2 out of 5 evenings...forget it.

56K...luxer...lucksh... luxsure....your lucky!

(where do I find the spell checker on this thing?)

Patch
24th March 2009, 06:06
This is Xnet provided by World Exchange. Best ISP I've had so far, don't even bother with whoosh - their customer service sucks, worse than what telecom use to be :girlfight:

Compared with what some friends in AU & US have, NZ is still in the dark ages :wacko:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/435422679.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

MisterD
24th March 2009, 07:14
I''m just getting into the final stretch for first sales of VDSL2 test kit at the moment - that's gonna mean 50Mb download speeds 1km from the fibre node...:niceone:

Burtha
24th March 2009, 07:58
I'm with Patch - Xnet = best ISP.

I'm of old 5'1/4 floppies, old mainframes etc ie; pre PC's in the 80's. Some of this old time talk is makin me feel real old !

Quasievil
24th March 2009, 08:22
http://www.speedtest.net/result/435520835.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

With Ihug, promised everything and I got this, kinda crappy I reckon

Finn
24th March 2009, 08:24
NZ has broadband?

Beemer
24th March 2009, 09:16
alright who are the 2 people on 56k, and why are you on it?

We live in a rural area that only got broadband (or a rough version of it) a few years ago when the local school got it. Not everyone in our less than 3km road has it as there are not enough slots available. It's not fast but it's faster than dialup. I'm on a basic plan with TelstraClear as there is no point at all in paying for anything faster as it's physically impossible for us to get it without a satellite.

At least now some websites take seconds to open instead of minutes, and we can use the phone at the same time. Our exchange and cabling is pretty old and they won't upgrade it as there are only about 100 homes affected. Whenever it rained we'd lose the phone line for days but they seem to have fixed that as I can't recall that happening in the last year or two.

Just realise that some of us don't have an inexpensively priced choice with regards to speed.

Max Preload
24th March 2009, 09:17
NZ has broadband?

That's pretty much my point - no, it doesn't.

megageoff76
24th March 2009, 11:03
We have dial up here, always seem to get about 36-42kbps.

The trouble is the lines for the 4 houses under our shared driveway is rubbish according to Telecom, so even if we switch to B/B its still not going to be very good.

3umph
24th March 2009, 11:05
On what plan with which provider does it now take 1 minute to transfer 20MB peer-to-peer? Very few plans I've seen have been more than 128kbps upload (only 4x dialup speed of 33.6kbps), which becomes the bottleneck meaning 20 minutes to transfer 20MB. Either way, I find it difficult to believe you're getting anywhere near 2.5Mbps upload.

Telstaclear cable network...

home plan 4mb down 2mb up
work plan 8mb down and 1mb up

I transfer quite a few big files through skype and msn and as long as the other person has a good connection we get really good transfer speeds

davebullet
24th March 2009, 11:28
Some of you may remember when modem speed was measured in BAUD not bps. My first modem was 300 baud (= 300 bps - yes -only 300 bps).

I only recently went from 56Kbps dialup to cable broadband. Cost was the main reason not to. Shitty websites with a lot of useless crappy bandwidth hungry graphics (with no real value add) was the reason I had to.

Max Preload
24th March 2009, 17:58
Some of you may remember when modem speed was measured in BAUD not bps. My first modem was 300 baud (= 300 bps - yes -only 300 bps).

That all changed when the bits per baud exceeded the baud. :crazy: