PDA

View Full Version : Press Release: CBR1000RR & CBR600RRABS

Big Dave
24th March 2009, 13:09
Honda Press release by email. Brake by wire now.

---------------------------

"Why wouldn't you?"... Ultimate control of ultimate performance! and on the 2009 World Sports Bike of the Year!! Wow!

An obvious question really and one that Honda engineers have now tackled - introducing the 2009 Honda FIREBLADE CBR1000RR ABS and CBR600RR ABS. The world's first Supersports bikes to come equipped with "E-CABS". Another unique first from Honda, and New Zealand Honda Riders Club Members will get to experience these two new ABS models at Taupo this weekend.

Honda's standard FIREBLADE CBR1000RR hardly needs an introduction, since it's release, it's been one of the most critically acclaimed sports bike, winning awards and races all over the world. Incredibly light, the CBR 'R' models are based around an ethos of total control, rideability and maximum performance. This year the overall weights have been further reduced to a bare minimum while again focusing design on 'mass centralisation'.

When the all-new 2008 CBR1000RR debuted last year, it represented the pinnacle of Super bike performance. Brimming with MotoGP-bred genetics, it is the most advanced open-class Sport bike Honda had ever built. This year Honda has taken it one step further with the introduction of an Electronic Combined Anti-Lock Braking System, Honda's latest groundbreaking performance option and the first-ever ABS system on a production Super sports machine. Just think: class leading handling proven on both the street and track, eye-catching styling, and now the most advanced braking system ever on a Super sports bike - not surprisingly its got the attention of some of the world's top reviewers and riders alike - see attached reviews from press all over the world.

"This could change the way we think about sports bikes forever" - MCN

The 2009 Honda CBR1000RR ABS, is an extension of the FIREBLADE ethos, it becomes an even greater and safer performer on the road or track thanks to the Electronic-Combined ABS; which is also now available on the 2009 Honda CBR600RR ABS. Being electronically controlled, the ABS system distributes the braking power in the safest, most efficient way without ever locking the wheels giving riders the confidence and ability to stop safely in an emergency as hard as possible, while retaining control.

This revolutionary system works by electronically combining the front and rear brakes to help maintain even braking, keeping the bike flat, as well as completely preventing the bike's wheels from locking up when braking heavily. Whether the rider is tipping the bike into a wide corner or powering around a hairpin with their knee to the ground, the FIREBLADE responds with razor-sharp, yet predictable and surefooted handling that makes it a pleasure to ride.

E-Combined ABS
The system consists of an electronically controlled combined “brake by wire” system with an innovative stroke simulator. Direct motor control ensures precise operation of the ABS. The components are divided into several smaller units so there are more, but smaller units than in previous systems.

Brake by Wire
• Electronically Controlled by ECU
• Combines ABS and CBS
• Hydraulic feedback given to rider via „stroke simulator‟
• Late triggering of ABS controlled by „modulator‟ minimises pitching
• Doesn't effect sports riding or diminish rider control

"Honda has taken Anti-lock braking to a whole new level" - Two Wheels

After rigourous track testing Honda has concluded that the anti-lock brake system significantly improves lap times under racing conditions when compared with the Non-ABS equivalent - but the overall benefits of Combined ABS are noticeable for riders of all skill levels. The feeling of confidence that goes with it hugely enhances the ride experience and greatly encourages rider development. This is yet another milestone for Honda and the motorcycle industry as a whole, once again Honda is raising the standard of motorcycle safety and enjoyment.

Premium for the "E-CABS" combined braking system will be $2,500 on top of standard CBR models and limited volume will be available for 2009. Only 12 CBR1000RRA9 and only 10 CBR600RRA9 will be available through Honda Red Carpet Road dealers this season (only Red or Black are available on either model).

enigma51
24th March 2009, 13:20
I thought ponsonby locals looked happier today.

jim.cox
24th March 2009, 13:28
"Why wouldn't you?"...

'cos I like to slide on gravel
'cos they cost too much
'cos they weigh too much

but mostly

'cos I dont trust them

Whadda think the chance is of them working correctly in 30 years time?

Matt
24th March 2009, 13:30
Sounds interesting - but with a $2.5k premium does that make 2009 retail almost $30k?!

bungbung
24th March 2009, 14:05
• hydraulic feedback given to rider via „stroke simulator‟

i thought ponsonby locals looked happier today.

. .

pritch
24th March 2009, 14:39
Whadda think the chance is of them working correctly in 30 years time?

Well one comment I read by a tester, an avowed ABS and linked brake detester, said that the first clue he had as to the electickery was when he was reading the blurb. He had been riding the bike for some time and hadn't noticed.

If you don't like aids like slipper clutches, electronic throttles or brakes, your choice is going to become limited sooner rather than later.

Finn
24th March 2009, 14:47
Sounds interesting - but with a $2.5k premium does that make 2009 retail almost $30k?!

The Honda website has them at $25,950 RRP. You'd get one cheaper if you have polished your negotiation skills.

However, if you want to save yourself a few thousand dollars are are prepared to sacrifice yourself on quality and style, then there's always the Suzuki GSXR1000.

jim.cox
24th March 2009, 14:49
If you don't like aids like slipper clutches, electronic throttles or brakes, your choice is going to become limited sooner rather than later.

I made my choice nearly 20 years ago :)

Mort
24th March 2009, 14:52
I saw Aaron Slight demonstrate these ABS brakes on a Blade at the HRC day this weekend. He came in to the pits at speed and nailed the front brake. You could hear a small "chirp" from the tyre then the bike just came to a halt.... very quickly. I rode the non ABS bike and the brakes on that were just awesome... having that much power from the brake and ABS would be superb.

Hoon
24th March 2009, 14:57
Fine in a straight line but what I want to know is will it save a front wheel tuck from tipping into a corner too fast with too much front brake?

Finn
24th March 2009, 15:08
Fine in a straight line but what I want to know is will it save a front wheel tuck from tipping into a corner too fast with too much front brake?

ABS doesn't compensate for stupidity. Maybe the 2010 model will.

Starky307
24th March 2009, 15:21
I thought ponsonby locals looked happier today.

LMAO, reading that made me spit coffee all over the keyboard.:clap::clap:

Finn
24th March 2009, 15:23
LMAO, reading that made me spit coffee all over the keyboard.:clap::clap:

Latte was it?

Starky307
24th March 2009, 15:25
Latte was it?

Yip from a small cup with fuck all handle too...

Nah it's some shit ready mix stuff that's real lumpy

slowpoke
24th March 2009, 16:48
I can't say I liked the idea of ABS....until I attended a Brian Bernard trackday and they did the emergency braking drill. The big heavy ABS equipped BMW's and Pan Europeans shit all over everything, race bikes included, when it came to stopping in the shortest possible distance. No fuss, no skill required, just incredible stopping every time.

Unless you are Craig Shirriffs the average rider hasn't got a hope in hell of stopping anywhere near as quickly as they could on an ABS equipped bike.

svr
24th March 2009, 17:04

The blurb says it should - and no reason why it shouldn't. Thinking about track riding here. The front tucks when you're trailing too much brake because the tyre is locking - abs would release pressure and the tyre would regain grip. Better than a helmet full of dirt.
Now, why doesn't it have traction control?? No losing the front on the way in, no highside on the way out, only way to crash is too much corner speed (very difficult but fun to try...)

Sensei
24th March 2009, 17:32
First it was the Steering damper controlled by the ECU then throttle flyby wire now its the brakes controlled by the ECU ?? , so when the ECU developes a fault & forgets to apply the ABS that you have become totaly dependent on what then !! Good on them tho the more shit they can put on the better the bike must be Right ??

EJT
24th March 2009, 17:46
First it was the Steering damper controlled by the ECU then throttle flyby wire now its the brakes controlled by the ECU ?? , so when the ECU developes a fault & forgets to apply the ABS that you have become totaly dependent on what then !! Good on them tho the more shit they can put on the better the bike must be Right ??

Happy to be proved wrong here, but in the years that cars have had ABS and traction control etc I have never heard of an ECU problem resulting in failure. There must be backups and at the end of the day many more lives will be saved by having this feature than not. Yes racers can stop quicker without ABS but even they use electronic aids. I remember reading a test in one of the UK mags and in the wet a racer did not stop quicker than ABS at the first attempt. Unfortunately you only get one attempt in an emergency.

The problem with weight will be overcome as bikes use more exotic (read expensive) materials.

dipshit
24th March 2009, 19:47
And linking some rear brake from the front brake for the stability it induces is a good idea for all those igjots that use front brake only.

discotex
24th March 2009, 20:33
Here's some really good info on the system:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2009-honda-cbr600rr-cabs-review-87864.html

jim.cox
25th March 2009, 08:08
I can't say I liked the idea of ABS....until I attended a Brian Bernard trackday and they did the emergency braking drill. The big heavy ABS equipped BMW's and Pan Europeans shit all over everything, race bikes included, when it came to stopping in the shortest possible distance. No fuss, no skill required, just incredible stopping every time.

Unless you are Craig Shirriffs the average rider hasn't got a hope in hell of stopping anywhere near as quickly as they could on an ABS equipped bike.

I accept utterly that an ABS equiped bike can stop better than I can.

When its working properly

But I maintain enough old equipment to know that this can be an issue

At the core I just really dont like the idea that the system can decide to disable the brakes

So, No - If I were buying a 2008 Fireblade (Yeah, Right!) I would NOT be spec'ing ABS

Just my $0.02

=mjc=

And then I've never liked linked brakes ala MotoGuzzi. I like to be able to control front and rear individually.

And I like to spin and slide

Plus there is the 10 to 11 kg weight penalty

Matt
26th March 2009, 09:43
The Honda website has them at $25,950 RRP. You'd get one cheaper if you have polished your negotiation skills.

However, if you want to save yourself a few thousand dollars are are prepared to sacrifice yourself on quality and style, then there's always the Suzuki GSXR1000.

$26k retail + the $2.5k premium for ABS makes it a little too close to $30k tho - I did say retail pricing not street!