PDA

View Full Version : 1965 jawa

Del Fuego
24th March 2009, 14:56
Hey there all, Well I finally took the plunge and bought a "Project" it is a 1965 Jawa 125cc jobbie

pics here http://www.themotorcyclereview.com/component/content/article/197-project-bikes/373-1965-jawa-125cc-project

any ideas welcome regarding parts swaps, engines that might fit... colour suggestions etc, etc.

Bonez
24th March 2009, 17:31
Good one. Look fwd to seeing it progress.

eelracing
29th March 2009, 20:10
She's a beauty as is i reckon.Bugger the chrome and just get that engine going.Those fins are dead sexy.:2thumbsup

LBD
30th March 2009, 00:32
Hey there all, Well I finally took the plunge and bought a "Project" it is a 1965 Jawa 125cc jobbie

pics here http://www.themotorcyclereview.com/component/content/article/197-project-bikes/373-1965-jawa-125cc-project

any ideas welcome regarding parts swaps, engines that might fit... colour suggestions etc, etc.

Looks so much like the California twin I learnt to ride on way back when...

Still see them and similar on the road over here. Have fun...

Del Fuego
30th March 2009, 18:10
yeah I love the engine too, is very pretty. apparently the 175cc is virtually identical so might try and source one of those. I don't think I could live with 9hp... even my scoot has more than that haha.

Ixion
30th March 2009, 18:33
9hp ? Jawa 125 never had 9hp. 5 maybe. I had 125 175 250 350 Jawas, and Beeza Bantams, James. Jawa 125 was maybe a fraction faster than bantam 125, slower than bantam 150. 5 hp, maybe 6. That's enough, what do you need more for? 5hp took me all over the North Island.

LBD
31st March 2009, 02:23
9hp ? Jawa 125 never had 9hp. 5 maybe. I had 125 175 250 350 Jawas, and Beeza Bantams, James. Jawa 125 was maybe a fraction faster than bantam 125, slower than bantam 150. 5 hp, maybe 6. That's enough, what do you need more for? 5hp took me all over the North Island.

Saw a single today...on the way to work. Parked on a flat rock on the center stand by the shores of lake Issykul while its owner was tending his sheep, goats, donkeys, horses and a camel....

Del Fuego
31st March 2009, 13:28
Haha, nice!

Only got that figure from the stamping on the bike... I take it, it is somewhat overstated then haha

davereid
18th April 2009, 16:07
Good project. I've got a 71 cz175, a first cousin of your 125. Let me know if you get stuck on the electrics, I have had to rewire mine from scratch so have found complete wiring diagrams etc.

You can eaily get 6v flasher relays for your indicator modification, but you may find adding a more powerful headlight tricky. The generator managed 55watts when new, with 40 of those committed to the ignition system.

Mine doesnt even charge at idle, needing about 2000rpm to start to charge.

Del Fuego
24th April 2009, 17:15
Awesome, cheers dude you sound like a VERY handy person to know. What format do you have the wiring diagrams in? if I could get copies that would be fantastic... I was contemplating trying a 12V conversion, I assume that this would be pretty difficult though?

davereid
24th April 2009, 20:30
I have got an original workshop manual. But this image from http://www.jawa-cz.dk is very very good, and is an exact match to my bike.

Convert to 12 volt ? hmm.. modest advantages, as you will still only get 55 watts without damaging the generator.

I still have problems with my charging system, sometimes it neglects to charge, then sometimes it makes avery good job of boiling the battery dry.

Indeed, I may convert to 12v total loss - I have already put a 12v (ballasted) coil (sans ballast) to get a good reliable spark. This has reduced my total loss current draw to abou 1 amp - so a 7 amp hour battery would be easily good enough for the biggest run I will ever do.

scumdog
24th April 2009, 22:02

Nice project - I have people keeping an eye out for one for myself.

Del Fuego
8th May 2009, 19:09
Hey Dave that link just takes me to the German homepage... don't have a link to the actual image do ya?

further to that is there a technique for removing the swingarm... have popped the cap off both sides of the shaft thing... don't want to just bash it out unless that is the correct way... which I doubt...

Any Ideas?

Also... Scumdog, there's a couple nice ones on TM at the mo

Edbear
8th May 2009, 19:34
Paint job, I reckon should be kept as original as possible. Just MHO

Del Fuego
9th May 2009, 09:31
Nah thats no fun... won't be hacking body bits or anything off so will be reversible if anyone ever wants to put it back to original and I want something a bit more unusual :)

davereid
9th May 2009, 11:16
http://www.jawa-cz.dk/foto/diagrammer/DiagrammertilJAWACZ/cz477.jpg

is the full linky.

I can vouch for it 'cos I have just rewired mine. Its pretty weird.. just putting the key IN livens lots up !

Ixion
9th May 2009, 12:59
Its pretty weird.. just putting the key IN livens lots up !

That waqs quite common in Euros of the period. BMW had a similar arrangement, the key was really a plug.

Del Fuego
11th May 2009, 14:59
Wicked, i think I will have to start calling the key a plug lol

Shiny new 250cc engine has arrived, looks identical but shiny :D and half way through stripping all the paint and crap off, progress is being made.

No Ideas about the swingarm then?

Del Fuego
19th May 2009, 15:59
sorry guys... any ideas regards getting the swingarm off???

madbikeboy
20th May 2009, 23:16
Hey, loads of really great classics on TM at the moment. My heart stopped at the sight of a restored CB750 ($7k, can I sell a kidney), there's a 900SS (within budget), and there is a neat Francis-Barnett Falcon...

There is this BMW too:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=219411335

But the CB rocks my boat. I have a CBX as well, the CB could be a daily, and I can keep my CBX on ice...

Del Fuego
21st May 2009, 13:24
Stop it stop it stop! If it were up to me I would have a bloody warehouse full of weird old machinery... love that Beemer... a proper seat and it would be beautiful!

Buy it... you know you want to! PS latest rant is online, cheers for that!

Del Fuego
25th August 2009, 18:18
Ok so finally making some progress on the bad boy, stripping everything of paint and whatnot.

Have decided the wheels are a bit rough for recycling and need to track down some rims... any idea where I might find some tidy (or new) ones? probably could do with some new spokes too.

They are a 16" 36 hole unit... either chrome or raw is fine as I am considering powdercoating them...

Ideas welcome including maybe bigger front etc Im all into unusual ideas so have at it.

XRVrider
31st August 2009, 20:48
Just wondering if you have sorted how to get the swingarm off. Some of the Jawa's needed to have the shaft cut where it leaves the frame and goes into the swingarm... on both sides. Then you need a new one when you refit.

Im doing up 2 Nzeta's (very different swingarm), but recently have restored a basket case little Jawa 50, yep a scooter but with front positioned engine, chain and sprockets with 3 gears and clutch and that swingarm would've needed the cutting technique. Luckily it was fine.

I joined jawachat http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Jawachat/ and these guys really know their stuff. Heaps of wiring diagrams amongst other handy pics etc... and what you dont know the guys are really willing to help with.

All the best mate, am watching your progress, and if I can help at all just shout.

Del Fuego
1st September 2009, 17:24
Awesome, cheers for the info and link, will join up and see whats the story. At this point I think I can get away with leaving it in place so will do that for the time being and see how it goes.

Good luck with the scoots I love those little guys! :scooter:

Del Fuego
1st October 2009, 18:37
Not the most exciting update but I have come to a few decisions and there are some pics

http://www.themotorcyclereview.com/reviews/project-bikes/373-1965-jawa-125cc-project-update?start=2

In other news... bought another Jawa, couldn't pass it up so this will become the recipient of the 125cc engine i have laying about and will stay looking pretty similar to current format... when I get around to doing something with it.

cc rider
3rd October 2009, 03:33
Quite a xmas list you have there, Del. Hope Santa has a big sleigh.

Swap Meet season will be starting up over here (Aus) soon, so am happy to keep an eye out for you, while I hunt for triumph parts. I see a bit of Jawa stuff around. Had an old 350 in the bedroom years ago. Don't ask ;)

Agree with eelracing, fins do look fine :2thumbsup

have fun

cc