PDA

View Full Version : One year on

slofox
24th March 2009, 16:02
Well as I found out this morning when I realised the warrant had expired four days ago, I have been a Born Again Rider for a year now...and so far I have killed neither myself nor anyone else (that I know of anyway), despite the bad press accorded to Born Agains in recent times...AND I haven't had a ticket...yet anyway

To be honest it has taken most of that year to feel fully confident again after a twenty year hiatus - even though I never did "retire" from riding - just took quite a long time to get my next bike. So in that sense I don't think of myself as "born again" anyway.

However, the reality of it all is that the technology has changed a lot in that time and the bikes are indeed fiendishly more powerful than the ones I used to ride. Course, I did think a little before buying this time (took 20 years actually haha) and made sure I did nothing too silly. I didn't buy a Harley Fergusson. I didn't buy a GSX1000R nor even a GSX750R...I avoided inline fours completely. But that was mostly because I wanted a V Twin - always did want to own one once. So without knowing much about the machine apart from what I had read, I bought a respectable SV650S. Which has proven to be plenty for what I want to do and quite easy to ride in a not very respectable manner after all...(cough cough). Most importantly, when I do drop it, it is not too heavy for me to pick up. Very important point, that. Ya gotta be able to pick it back up. But it is also not that much heavier or bigger than what I was used to all those eons ago. So I have had a blast on it and fully intend to continue so to do.

The confidence has taken a long time but I was happy to let it happen at its own rate. And part of that was the machine itself - well the tyres actually. Changing from the OEM Dunlop D220's to Pilot Road 2ct's has completely transformed that machine as did treating the front to emulator kits and springs. But the tyres made the biggest difference - I was surprised at that.

And the modern bikes are so much more capable than those I used to ride. It takes quite a while to realise that and to begin to exploit that capability. Which I am nowhere near fully realising anyway. But that's OK. I don't have anything to prove. I don't have to ride on the ragged edge and put myself and others at risk just to prove some macho competitive point. If I want to do that I will go to the track. I love to ride - it is a transcendental experience for me. I want to be able to do it every day. So I try not to bust my arse and stop the fun.

So to all those who slate us older "returnees" I say :bleh:. We are not all stupid. We are not all dangers to ourselves and others. Some of us are aware of our own limits. And stay within them whilst fully enjoying the exhileration of cranking it through a sweeping corner or threading it through a twisty section or even pootling gently along beside Kawhia Harbour on a still bright clear early autumn morning when there is not a ripple on the mirror of the water and not a soul in sight. Biking gives me a freedom I had forgotten I could have. It has been worth the wait. And for the support of the KB forums I say thanks all - you are a great bunch - (usually...:devil2:)

I cannot express it any better than did Madbikeboy in my signature quote..."even Born Agains come full circle to embrace the freedom and thrill again – the decades between a blur of normalcy with the release of riding again..."

Boob Johnson
24th March 2009, 16:05
ARRRGGGGGHHHH

WALL OF TEXT!!! :blink:

slofox
24th March 2009, 16:29
Reading it is voluntary...

Grant`
24th March 2009, 16:41
Glad to hear things are all coming back to you now, I don't know if i could honestly do the whole have a break from riding. I am 2 hooked to it now.

Boob Johnson
24th March 2009, 16:55
Reading it is voluntary...
Unfortunately so is sentences into paragraphs :Pokey:

ps: did labour through it, curiosity got the better of me :laugh:

Harvd
24th March 2009, 17:12
Nicely written.

I too am one year on from my first twist of the throttle, onto my third bike 1 which was written off due to my keeness and severe lack of skill, and today i got my latest bike a 1997 suzuki bandit 250. took it for a 200km ride to make sure it was right, and man it all just clicked.

I also dont think i will ever be a born again as now the feeling of riding is just too engrained in my mind if i had to stop it will be through major circumstance changes. Ive learnt soo much in this first year like braking in a corner is bad also target fixation is the evilest of them all.

The worst bit about it is none of my mates quite understand my obsession thankfully theres a website called kb where there are others with my affliction.

brrrrmmmm BRRRRMMMM

Headbanger
24th March 2009, 17:25
Ive learnt soo much in this first year like braking in a corner is bad

It is?

I brake on corners all the time.....

Harvd
24th March 2009, 17:40
It is?

I brake on corners all the time.....

You know what i mean... jeez

Headbanger
24th March 2009, 17:50
You know what i mean... jeez

lol.

What I was getting at is you can apply the brake right into the apex of the corner, I apply the brake deep into the corner if that's what I feel is needed.

slofox
24th March 2009, 17:50
Unfortunately so is sentences into paragraphs :Pokey:

ps: did labour through it, curiosity got the better of me :laugh:

There ya go - I have double spaced the paragraphs...They WERE there anyway

Boob Johnson
24th March 2009, 17:57
There ya go - I have double spaced the paragraphs...They WERE there anyway
*eyes stop bleeding*

:clap:

varminter
24th March 2009, 18:46
I'm not really a born again. It didn't happen the first time. Back in the days of black and white I regularly fell off a scooter, swore I'd never go on two motorised wheels again. Well, here I am and loving it, gives me a reason to go to work....and come home again.

Weta
24th March 2009, 19:36
Unfortunately so is sentences into paragraphs

'sentences into paragraphs' what sort of English is that, seeing as you're flying the grammar gestapo flag from your mast?

[

dipshit
24th March 2009, 20:00
Well as I found out this morning when I realised the warrant had expired four days ago, I have been a Born Again Rider for a year now...

Did you buy it second-hand exactly one year-old... or did it only have a 1 year warranty?

BMWST?
24th March 2009, 20:08
Did you buy it second-hand exactly one year-old... or did it only have a 1 year warranty?

i think he refers to the warrant of fitness...either two times six months or 1 x 1 years worth have elapsed since the purchase of the SV650.

So slofox what was the last motorcycle you owned....and for all you ...not me,it may happen.My BMW k 100 rs formed a very large part of our first house deposit

dipshit
24th March 2009, 21:02
i think he refers to the warrant of fitness...either two times six months or 1 x 1 years worth have elapsed since the purchase of the SV650.

Oh yeah...

Burtha
25th March 2009, 09:20
I guess I am a born again also, but first time around was with no license, mainly off road bikes and only the odd small road bike.
I'm soon to go for my full so its nearly been a year for me too and am going straight for the full vtwin - dream is the buell but may have to alter (damn it) due to $.
Am not too worried about weight (but below 200kg = good) as am as strong as an ox.
Can't say I have too much of an issue with confidence, probably at my own peril but then I haven't had a fall in years, and last one was only on a scoot around town.
I think going on the regular trips out with the girls will be the good experience I will need to keep me in check as being on my own I always push the envelope.

Keep on, keepin on Slofox ...
solid !
:D

vifferman
25th March 2009, 10:05
What I was getting at is you can apply the brake right into the apex of the corner, I apply the brake deep into the corner if that's what I feel is needed.
You can also brake IN the corner, if you need to, and do it right. Most/some bikes aren't unduly affected by this (don't tend to stand up), so as long as you're not approaching the limits of tyre grip, there's no big drama.

slofox
25th March 2009, 10:42

The bike was brand justoutofthebox new. So the WOF (that's the one I meant...) was for a year and fell due four days before I realised it....but np - didn't get checked in that four day period.

The number of times I have ridden/driven on an expired WOF is scary...I'm usually aware that it is coming up and then BOOM - past use by date. Again.

Clockwork
25th March 2009, 12:50
Once a "Born Again" always a "Born Again"?

If not, when do you stop being one?

And when the authorities/media start claiming "Born Agains" are killing themselves, how do they know that a rider is/was a "Born Again" when collecting their statistics?

slofox
25th March 2009, 13:16
Like I said in the original post, I am not really a born again - coz I never "died"...just took a long time between bikes....:rolleyes: