PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike Wreckers??? WR450...

barryr1
24th March 2009, 21:49
I need a new fuel tank for my 05 WR450, I believe the 250 and YZ tanks all work. One of the captive nuts in the tank to hold the shroud on is turning so I can't get the shroud off....... :angry:

Are there any wreckers of dirt bikes? I can't seem to locate any....

Thanks,
Bazza.

motorbyclist
25th March 2009, 00:56
all i can say is good luck. while an older model, my YZ400F is nigh impossible to find parts for because wreckers simply don't have any and when they do get them they get bought up quick.

same for my mate's 426

and we've never seen something as new as a YZ/WR450 broken enough to be sold as parts

my tank has the same problem. if you find a non-destructive way to change the radiator shrouds, do post it up! Once they're off you can glue the anchor back in there but getting them off without rooting it further is the hard part.

Katman
25th March 2009, 12:44
What about drilling the head off the bolt.

If the bolt turns while you're drilling hold an 8mm socket on the bolt head with vicegrips and drill through the centre of the socket. Once the head is off the bolt and the shroud is off lever the nut out and glue or melt another one in place.

YellowDog
25th March 2009, 12:46
Smart thinking. Good tip.

motorbyclist
25th March 2009, 13:24
What about drilling the head off the bolt.

If the bolt turns while you're drilling hold an 8mm socket on the bolt head with vicegrips and drill through the centre of the socket. Once the head is off the bolt and the shroud is off lever the nut out and glue or melt another one in place.

good thinking, but the bolts are situated (in my case) where vice grips can't reach.

i just pull off the whole tank if i need access to the radiators anyway. my dirtbike is a bit beyond cosmetic repairs:innocent:

Katman
25th March 2009, 14:39
good thinking, but the bolts are situated (in my case) where vice grips can't reach.

That's why you place a socket over the head of the bolt and hold it with the vice grips so you can drill through the centre of the socket.

You should only need a 6.5mm drill bit to get the head off the bolt if you centre punch the head of the bolt accurately enough before drilling.

cave weta
25th March 2009, 15:54
That's why you place a socket over the head of the bolt and hold it with the vice grips so you can drill through the centre of the socket.

You should only need a 6.5mm drill bit to get the head off the bolt if you centre punch the head of the bolt accurately enough before drilling.

Here - have some bling!:sunny::Punk:

motorbyclist
25th March 2009, 23:31

rephrase: i don't have a 10mm socket long enough to actually reach in there with vice grips to hold it, as the bolt is set in so far. (i think the term for this is a recess but i may be mistaken)

ok, maybe with a bit of forcing it'd work or if you want to replace the shrouds anyway just cut them away first. long nose vice grips may work if i had them.... i could of course weld a lever arm to the socket that then fits in the recess to reach the bolt....
either way you still have a smart idea that i'm adding to my mental library of "oh fuck, i'm fucked now" methods of bolt removal

barryr1
26th March 2009, 19:57
I hadn't even thought about that(great me being a mechanic and all :()

I will just do that. Cheers,