PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Dropped bike at low speed, now it won't turn on or start!

steph88m
25th March 2009, 14:31
HELP!!! im new at this and have been going great for a couple of months now. BUT yesterday I stopped in the middle of the road to turn right into my drive way. I probably shud have stopped back further than I did, so that I didnt have to take off and turn so sharply to the right straight away (it was almost ninty degrees) and try get in my narrow steep driveway, not to mention my road is a four lanes busy as road. 'Hillsborough Road' at peak hour traffic. Blonde moment, but i guess once you stop in traffic you cant back up a bit to get more comfy.

Anyways so I took off and obvious going from a stopped position and taking off with my front wheel to the right it was unbalanced and i almost made it and all of a sudden i was lying on the road. DAMMIT!! It wasn't scary because I had waited for a big opening to go, but it was bloody embarrassing!!!!! I jumped up and wheeled the bike down my drive. I ripped the knee of my jeans (note to self must buy proper motorbike pants) and scratched the front brake hand lever thing and a tiny part of the right side of the front fairing, nothing else scratched and nothing bent. But for some reason it wont turn on or start. (its a kick start only) Normally lights come on etc when I turn on the key. I checked the battery, battery is brand new and all still connected fine. All wires I can see are connected as usual but I seriously don't know much about bikes. Nothing leaked when I dropped it,and didnts see anything left lying on the ground afterwards. I will buy someone a box of beer if the can fix it for me!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!! I think it will be something really tiny and obvious.

98tls
25th March 2009, 14:35
Check the kill switch on the bars.

UberRhys
25th March 2009, 14:40
Check the kill switch on the bars.

+1 for this, if not then maybe try crash starting it...

steph88m
25th March 2009, 14:41
Thanks, yeh thats wat my mate said and it looks fine, its just like it usually is, Il have another look when I get home. If anyone lives near hillsborough HELP ME! lol

steph88m
25th March 2009, 14:45
ok wat is crash starting lol. do i sound dumb right now? im really new to biking!

fatzx10r
25th March 2009, 14:51
ok wat is crash starting lol. do i sound dumb right now? im really new to biking!

didnt you already crash??

push start it, make sure your ignition is turned on, push it up to speed (down a bit of a hill is best) pull the clutch in, then hook it into 2nd gear and let the clutch out.

Maha
25th March 2009, 14:51

Check this out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXl3RnBWbE0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PXl3RnBWbE0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Burtha
25th March 2009, 14:56
crash starting is when you jump start it - like with cars, leave the clutch in, get some speed up, have it in second then let it go.
When you do so you'll also have to literally push down ie; in a jumping motion down on it.
Don't know if I've explained it right here ... pictures in my head look good though
:shutup:

steph88m
25th March 2009, 14:58
is it even possible without an electric start button, wouldnt kick startinbg while going down a hill be kinda wierd?

fatzx10r
25th March 2009, 15:02
is it even possible without an electric start button, wouldnt kick startinbg while going down a hill be kinda wierd?

no dont kick it, just watch the vid that maha posted. it's as easy as falling off a bike :blank:

LBD
25th March 2009, 15:03
Crash start is opposite of crash stop and you already did that successfully...But seriously...

Did the bike stop when dropped or did you stop it?

Pull the spark plug out put it in the cap, turn ignition on and kill switch on, hold plug against cylinder head and kick it over...Is there any spark?

When the plug is in and you are trying to kick start, sniff the exhaust...petrol fumes?

3umph
25th March 2009, 15:03
so no power to the guages??? can you turn the light on???

if you are not getting power then it could be an electrical plug come loose or a stuffed ignition...

Check all electrical connections.... pull each apart and reconnect

CookMySock
25th March 2009, 15:04
Theres no point crash starting it, if the ignition key doesnt bring the dash lights on. My guess is something has happened with the wiring around the ignition switch, or around the battery area. Seeing as its not a newer bike, I'd find the fuses too and make sure one is not faulty - sometimes a knock will stop an old corroded fuse.

Is the battery quite loose in its box? If so, see if its pulled the wiring surrounding it.

Don't worry - it will be something simple and inexpensive.

Steve

98tls
25th March 2009, 15:45
No idea if your model bike has a tip over switch that needs to be re-set,if it does well.....reset it.

steph88m
25th March 2009, 15:45
Thats exactly what Im thinking it will be too. something small and simply like a wires come loose etc. I guess i need to poke around more, i bought the battery a few weeks ago and fitted it myself so i check that first when i noticed no lights or anything came on and that appears to be fine, then i followed all the wires i could see and felt around all the connections and they looked normal but i didnt look for very long so i might have missed something.

steph88m
25th March 2009, 15:46
its a RGV 150, 2 smoke

steph88m
25th March 2009, 15:48
it was going then i fell and it was off so it stopped by itself lol, stalled!

steph88m
25th March 2009, 15:53
OMG my typing makes me seem like a foreigner or something, I'm at work trying to speed type. excuse the typos

The Pastor
25th March 2009, 16:38
hey if you want I can come have a look / get it started at ur bike tonight/this week give me a txt or call if your keen. (if your in auckland)

scott 0211764836

Badjelly
25th March 2009, 17:04
Have you checked the kill switch yet? It's very easy to knock it into the off position. If you do, it kills the engine (hence the name) and maybe turns off the lights and other electrical stuff. When you've knocked the kill switch off and spent ten minutes scratching your head about why the bike is dead a few times, it becomes the first thing you look for.

98tls
25th March 2009, 17:23
:dodge:post 2.

The Pastor
25th March 2009, 18:12
:dodge:post 2.
whats the bet the embarasement is too much and we'll never hear about it again eh :D happend to all of us.

98tls
25th March 2009, 18:16
whats the bet the embarasement is too much and we'll never hear about it again eh :D happend to all of us. That n worse,can recall way back running outta gas just down the rd.......yep left the gas off.:bash:

Squiggles
25th March 2009, 19:30
Go out there and give it a couple of good kicks... Worked last time i saw this (on an RG150 after it had been dropped, no lights etc)

steph88m
25th March 2009, 19:33
ok iv fiddled round, i still duno wat it is! all wires that i can see and stuff looks fine, omg i bet its something simple as, grrrrrrrrrr

pyrocam
25th March 2009, 19:53
the rgv doesnt need a battery to run. if you key on and nothing lights up it could still go if you crash start it. its quite easy to do so on that bike. the fact that nothing happens when you key on is weird, but could be co-incidental.

check the kill switch, which is the red switch on the right handlebar thats probably unlabled. its harder to start without the battery working, make sure you use the choke and keep the rev's up (assuming it starts at all)

The Pastor
25th March 2009, 21:52
man that was a really hard bike to fix, the flux capastor was mixed up with the power band (that had also snapped)

after I fixed those it still wouldnt start....

OR

it started first kick. Not even a hard one.

Magua
25th March 2009, 22:01
it started first kick. Not even a hard one.

Clearly it was the magic touch.

The Pastor
25th March 2009, 22:06
Clearly it was the magic touch.
it was actually the power of positve thought

pyrocam
25th March 2009, 22:12
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOu8x1gqW3c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOu8x1gqW3c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

steph88m
26th March 2009, 11:17
i swear to god I was kicking it really hard over and over, trying with choke on then off and throttle on then off. Dammit!!!!!!!!!

but thank you anyways scott and you friend whos name i cant remember.

I told you it would be something really blonde.