PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties cold starting

Anarkist
26th March 2009, 17:39
I've been having issues with starting the VTR250 first pop like it normally does recently. It takes a couple of cranks and sometimes a bit of choke to get it to start after she's been parked up overnight.

Normally she starts first pop, every time with very little effort.

It's been happening around a week or so, and I just had a sudden thought that it may tie in with me filling it with BP Ultimate 98 Octane.

Is it possible that a higher octane level of petrol makes for a harder time with cold starts because of the higher ignition point, or is there possibly something else I need to be looking at?

Cheers guys :niceone:

Mom
26th March 2009, 17:40
A battery getting a bit elderly?

Anarkist
26th March 2009, 17:47
I don't think so. Has got plenty of juice to crank it over a couple of times when it won't start and doesn't sound like it's straining to do so.

CookMySock
26th March 2009, 17:49
new sparkplugs time ? Just these cooler autumn mornings will slow it down a bit. Using full choke when cold?

Steve

Anarkist
26th March 2009, 20:55
new sparkplugs time ? Just these cooler autumn mornings will slow it down a bit. Using full choke when cold?

Steve

Cheers for your help Steve.

Spark plugs were replaced at 12000km service and up to 17000km now.

I usually don't use any choke when starting, but have given it a quarter or so and it seems to start quite easily when choked a little.

Doubt it's anything to be worried about, but was just wondering why the change from usual really.

You don't reckon the fuel has anything to do with it?

Ragingrob
26th March 2009, 20:58
It's getting colder these mornings. My bike will start first pop on a warm summer's day with no choke and quarter throttle, but as soon as it cools down it likes no throttle and full choke with which she'll start straight up again.

I'd say it's just a call for a change of starting method.

Taz
26th March 2009, 21:02
and it seems to start quite easily when choked a little.

Just do what works. Have you owned this bike in cold weather yet??

CookMySock
26th March 2009, 21:07
It's getting colder these mornings. [....] I'd say it's just a call for a change of starting method.I agree. Full choke, full throttle once (prime) and then release it fully, clutch, neutral, and just start it. Let revs stabilse and then bring choke back to high idle - 2,000 rpm ish - off you go. Remember to take the choke off fully after a minute or two. No large throttle openings or revs over 4,000 on a cold engine.

Steve

Anarkist
26th March 2009, 21:08
Just do what works. Have you owned this bike in cold weather yet??

I haven't actually, no. Bought her mid-December.

That's definitely a good point though as the temperature has only really dropped in the past week or so and would explain it well.