PDA

View Full Version : Stupid petrol tank

L.L. Cool M
27th March 2009, 12:01
Man, am I ever sick of this.

I noticed some (rust?) bubbles in my ZXR250 gas tank and so I took it to a panelbeater. They fixed and repainted it, but then the the bubbles came back after a week or two (not necessarily in the same place). I did one of those Kreem inside rust treatments and then gave it back to the panelbeaters. They had it for ages, and then now that I have had it back for a week the second time, it is starting to form a bubble or two again. This isn't happening in the same place, and I assume it is rust but am not sure.

I shouldn't have to be fixing this as it is the panelbeater's job, but is there anything I can suggest they try? Apparently they spent a while researching all sorts of things the second time around. I am getting sick of putting my bike together to then have to pull it apart, remove the petrol from the tank, and then send it off again.

Winston001
27th March 2009, 12:07
Understand how you feel but it sounds like rust is a major problem with this tank. Rust is damned hard to stop. New tank if it bothers you.

I fixed rust holes in a tank once by pouring a two-pot resin inside (firstly put tape over the holes) blew into the tank to force the resin into pinholes and its lasted ever since - about 15 years.

vifferman
27th March 2009, 12:07
Yeah, it's a real bastid unless it's done properly. The inside of the tank has to be completely rust free before the tank liner is applied, and any rust holes have to be sanded back to bare metal and brazed. The brazing can accelerate corrosion if the metal isn't primed and painted.

I had a VF500 like this - it had only a couple of little pinholes, but I never managed to get them completely fixed, as one would periodically start weeping and I'd have to plug it again.

L.L. Cool M
27th March 2009, 12:43
I have considered a new tank, but I suspect that will cost a lot. I may not have any choice now though. Arrrrrgggh.

CookMySock
27th March 2009, 13:22
any rust holes have to be sanded back to bare metal and brazed.Don't try this yourself unless you know exactly what is involved.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/petrol-tank-welding-92966.html

Steve

98tls
27th March 2009, 13:27
Empty it out,blow it out with a water blaster which will reveal any holes coming in the near future,leave it a day or 2 apply rust killer then get the holes soldered.