PDA

View Full Version : MR write up Puke Nats March '05

Motoracer
7th March 2005, 14:47
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=624 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="25%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="15%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="40%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Got up at 6 AM on Friday, packed everything together and headed out to Colemans Suzuki to get a new chain fitted cause I managed to ruin my chain when I was shortening it (took too many links off). Colemans didn’t have the rivet link to fit on the chain but they did have a clip link. I thought, with a lock wire, even the chain with a clip link should be OK just for the weekend. I got the chain fitted and went to the track at about 1:00 PM. Thinking that I had missed half day of practice, I was very surprised to find that I made it just in time for riders breifing! Turns out the Pukie guys still had to get their shit sorted as well so first practice wasn't till half past 1.

After going around the track for just one lap, I saw a big cloud of dust on turn 1 with the rider going off to the left to the grass and the bike going end over end to the right. Turns out Gary Cunningham had a freak accident as he just tapped on the front brake.

Friday's practice was pretty uneventful after that and I think RiffRaff clocked me at 1.06. Compared to the other guys through the esses I seemed to be doing good but I had completely lost my touch for the hairpin. I was braking at the 200m mark then getting it unstable and then having to go on the throttle again and go slowly around the hairpin. In other words, I was crap at the hairpin. After the hairpin I was too cautious through the left as well, since they have now added a new bump in there.

On Friday night, Firefight and his family took me out to dinner and I had an enjoyable sleep at their lovely mansion.

On Saturday, we started practice and I wasn’t having much luck overcoming the fear of running out of track at the hairpin and I was braking way too early. Still I think I was only pulling 1.06s then.

After lunch, I was surprised to find out that Race 1 was actually on Saturday! We all did 2 warm up laps and then lined up at the grid. Once we got the OK, they pulled the green flag down and I got a great start. Everyone was squeezing tight into the right hand sweeper of turn one, which opened up the doors for me around the outside. So I went around a couple of bike including Gary Cunningham, so things looked good for a moment, then after Castrol, I could literally see the slightly higher powered national bikes pulling a little gap on me. When it came to braking for the hairpin, then the gap increased because I still hadn't sorted out my braking. I completed 1 lap and still I was keeping the mid field guys in sight. After coming around for the second time though, going into turn one, I heard a big cracking sound and suddenly, I had no power. I knew something was really wrong so I pulled up on to the grass where it was safe and got off the bike. A quick look at the back of the bike and yep, the chain was on the ground and water was pissing out off the bottom of the bike. I instantly realised the results of my bad decision earlier on to go with the clip link chain. I walked back to the pits feeling slightly disappointed for not being able to race when I had a good start but I was feeling VERY lucky to have not come off at the high speeds of turn one. I checked my position and it said a DNF but just in those 2 laps I got a 1.05.

At the end of the day, we took the bits off the bike and found out that the sprocket cover was smashed along with the water pump. Nicko or Nick Odermatt, then came to the rescue. He basically did most of the work with getting things off the bike then later on I went to Nick’s place and still we worked on the bike. He let me borrow parts off his road going bike so that I could race the next day. I left nick’s place at 9 PM and then went home with the bike bits and my slightly injured bike. I got home and no one was there, which was good cause I could get on with the job at hand. So for my 21<SUP>st</SUP>, I cranked up the music had a feed after a long day and worked on the bike with no distractions. Finally at 2:30 AM I had the bike sorted apart from the chain and got to sleep.

I got up again at 6:30 AM and packed everything up and fueled up before heading back to Puke. Once we got to the track, nicko let me borrow a sprocket because I damaged my one the day before and he hooked me up with Bernie, who then fitted nicko’s rivet link chain on to my bike. I missed the practice on Sunday but amazingly after all the effort, my bike was all ready for Race2, with only minutes to spare!!! Sparky did a great job helping me put the final bits together, so cheers for that man!

Before the chain came off on Saturday, I was feeling good and slowly getting the feel for things again. But now for race 2, things were back to square 1. After we got a race start, I lost ground with the mid field guys rather quickly and was fighting hard to keep infront of a black R6 which I have quite happly beaten in the past. I just managed to stay infront of the R6 and made it past the chequred flag.

After lunch, race 3 began. The big 15 laper! As soon as we got the green flag, all of us were away with out any worries. Then all of us went into turn one as quick as we could. It was bloody scarry to see at least 3 riders going elbow to elbow with the bikes hitting each other then one bike almost ran off wide onto the grass and the other one went real tight almost into the wall. This triggered my biggest fear, which is to crash because of someone else’s mistake. So I backed off a bit. Then everyone got into their form and went through Castrol real clean and I tried my best to follow them. I was still going pretty slow through it all because I was still braking into the hairpin way to early. Halfway through the race, even the guy on the black R6 passed me and managed to pull a gap. Closer to the end, I got lapped by Craig Sherrif, Andrew stroud and someone else and just then, for some reason, the guy on the R6 slowed down a lot at the hairpin, almost to a stop so I was able not finish the race last. I managed a 1.05 in this race as well, which was 0.1 sec faster than Race 1.

Evaluation time. There are some big question marks in mind right now. I have explanations for most of them and I will be trying to correct what has gone wrong with races at Puke and Paeroa. Just to put things into perspective, The first time I ever jumped on the 600 on my first time out on the track with it, I managed a 1.07. Then I progressed on to 1.05 then a couple of 1.04s with crap tires. Even when I had a real bad case of the flue, I was doing 1.05s. A year later now, with a few races under my belt, with the teachings of Freddie Merkal, and about few Ks worth of go fast bits and shit hot tires, I am now going at least a second slower than last year. I have things to work out and a lot of work to do before I can do well in the future. Don’t worry, I am not giving up, I can only learn from these experiences and hopefully do better next time round.

Thank you very much to all my mates and family for all the help and support. A BIG HUGE THANKS TO NICKO!! Then thank you again to Bernie and Sparky. :)

White trash
7th March 2005, 15:14
First things first. You may not be going a second slower, it's just more likely an accurate time because you're using transponders. Don't beat yourself up, National points level is a vast difference from club racing.

Secondly, I appologise for chastising you for breaking your chain, I can't believ they didn't have a fucken rivet link in stock! What the hell are those guys doing?

I think you'll find that more practice with the big boys will make a huge difference. You can do all the track days in the world, and still not be a racer. look at me for fucks sake.

Good write up mate, stick with it and remember why you started racing. To have fun.

ktulu
7th March 2005, 15:15
Top effort though MR, was good to see you racing and keep at it, pretty awesome to even be in the field at the nationals. Keep it up, will be back down to watch you guys again for sure.

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 15:20
Good write up man :niceone: you know what you were doing wrong :niceone: and im going to organise this weekend (or the next) to set up your shock correctly....

I bet you the next time your racing you will be hitting the 1:04's and 1:03's.... I know how impressive your skills are....

BTW nice rolling stoppie into the Hairpin on the last lap of the last race hehehe...

Joni
7th March 2005, 15:35
Great write up MR!

I can understand where you are coming from, just remember that when you got the 1:04's last year you were fairly into the season.... so I reckon you did amazingly well this weekend!!! Learn from it and use it to improve...

Congrats!

Shout if I can help!

:niceone:

Riff Raff
7th March 2005, 15:49
Thanks for the write up Sudeep. I think all of us here on KB are really proud of you. You're doing well and you can only get better, but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot more cash as well. IF there's anything I can do to help you realise your dream then just shout. Sadly I still haven't won Lotto, and I discovered on Friday that there is already a Riff Raff Racing Team (how dare they!!!) so if I do win Lotto I'm going to have to think of another name for the team!!!

That Guy
7th March 2005, 15:53
Sudeep I reckon you're doing really well. Mr Trash is right - how many times have you raced at Puke with a transponder? New bumps to learn too remmber. You were keeping in touch with (the best riders in the country) for a good 10 laps of the last race; it was only towards the end that the gap really stretched out. Don't forget also the bikes that lapped you were 2005 bikes with probably 10 hp or more on you....makes a big difference when you're at the sharp end; especially at tracks like Pukekohe. The only thing I noticed you have already pointed out - you looked tentative going into the hairpin compared to Shirrifs/Fitzgerald etc; they got a lot of speed scrubbed off while still turning into the hairpin. I'd say they were popping up at 120m. Fuck that. Brave bastards.

Anyways; you'd still lap 99.999999% of the rest of us!

k14
7th March 2005, 16:14
Great write up man, sounds like you are going really well. What's the next meeting you are racing in?

Hoon
7th March 2005, 16:26
Good stuff dude. Don't let your performances get you down - you have to take the bad with the good, just get to work on your weaknesses. The Twist II book has a good "No Brakes" drill which I use to work on my braking distances and it works real well.

Motoracer
7th March 2005, 17:22
Cheers everyone! :)

My next race will probably be Round 3 of the Pacific MCC Summer series at Taupo. If not then Round 1 of the Vic club races at Manfield will be the next one.

Kickaha
7th March 2005, 17:54
Glad you got to race,I saw the DNF on mylaps and wondered what had happened

Don't get hung up on comparing previous laptimes because they don't mean shit different days,different weather,different temperatures etc etc

Now you just need to come South and race some real tracks :niceone:

enigma51
7th March 2005, 17:56
Give it some time you will get the hang again everyone has a bit of call it jitters some where in there sporting careers. It does pass.

Firefight
7th March 2005, 18:57
as the others have said Sudeep, top effort, don,t let these things get you down, keep at it man, its all good... great to see you get over the problems and carry on for the rest of the races, and yes, Top effort from your mate Nick, big ups to him for helping you out.

F/F

trev
7th March 2005, 19:44
MR - 4 hours sleep, hastily fixed bike & no time to focus yourself.

Even at 21 you could not function at 100% under those conditions - nothing like it.

I'm really looking forward to see you when everything is going well.

IT WILL BE AWESOME :banana:

justsomeguy
7th March 2005, 19:56
MR - 4 hours sleep, hastily fixed bike & no time to focus yourself.

Even at 21 you could not function at 100% under those conditions - nothing like it.

Bloody hell:cool: ......... when I grow up I wanna be MR.:2thumbsup

.....Oh Shit :angry2: I'm already a bit older than him.......:brick:

Well fingers crossed anyway.................:confused:

REAL GREAT EFFORT MATE!!! Sorry I couldn't be present.

FROSTY
7th March 2005, 20:05
OYYY YOU LOT --THIS MAN NEEDS A PIT CREW !!!!!!!!!!
This is total bullshit -We have in our midst at least a potential national champion. He's working his arse off in two jobs to get the money together to race.
He needs support so he can focus on his racing.

Don't beat yaself up MR. I won't bore you with my first national level meeting--lets just say I was ready to pack up and give up racing for life after the first PRACTICE. :spudwhat:

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 20:36
This is total bullshit -We have in our midst at least a potential national champion. He's working his arse off in two jobs to get the money together to race.

Don't beat yaself up MR. I won't bore you with my first national level meeting--lets just say I was ready to pack up and give up racing for life after the first PRACTICE. :spudwhat:

Well i try to help, but its quite hard when F3 race is just before the 600 production race...

justsomeguy
8th March 2005, 07:23
:spudwhat:

Well if you want some unskilled labour...... then I'll sign up........ though I may not be able to travel too far out of Auckland....

RiderInBlack
8th March 2005, 09:01
OK how can we help as support for these awesome riders?
What in the way of sponsership have they got (any, none)?
Could we as a site fund rise and set a sponsership/grants for up and coming racers?
Spare parts?
Pit crew: What do they need in the way of crew, what expertises?

Motoracer
8th March 2005, 10:04
Thank you everyone again for the encouraging words :)

Kickaha: Can you please tell me which club usually organises races in Ruapuna? I want to find out more info about it. Living in CHC would have been a lot easier than freighting the bike over and flying there etc etc.

k14
8th March 2005, 12:00
Motorcycling canterbury is the main organiser, they have a website but it's pretty useless. There isn't any more racing that you could enter (only bears) untill october, although there is a winter series at levels from july to september.

Mr Skid
8th March 2005, 17:20

I bags polishing the chromies on the race van! :yeah:

FROSTY
8th March 2005, 17:30
Well i try to help, but its quite hard when F3 race is just before the 600 production race...
cut it out young fella. You need it almost as much as he does.
If ol frosty wasn't such a malighned charactor Id suggest we actually all team up together and get a few non racer KBers trained up to help us out.
It really is the dumb stuff like getting time to get a new chain fitted. reality is there are guys who may have the time during the day to sort that kinda thing.

Kickaha
8th March 2005, 17:40
Motorcycling canterbury is the main organiser, they have a website but it's pretty useless. There isn't any more racing that you could enter (only bears) untill october, although there is a winter series at levels from july to september.

Not quite correct as there's still have a go days in April (Ruapuna) and May (Levels) at which they normally run "all in's" for the club riders,but no points series until July

Sparky
8th March 2005, 21:25
[QUOTE=XJ/FROSTY]OYYY YOU LOT --THIS MAN NEEDS A PIT CREW !!!!!!!!!!

You're soo right Frosty, same counts for TS.

Having crewed for a racecar driver I know how hard it is to focus on the race when the driver/rider needs to do all the work too.
That's why I stuck around the pits for a while.
So if either of you need any help I'll be most willing to do so.
And I am sure there will be others amongst us who are handy with a spanner and surely are willing to lend a hand.

Just think you probably had one of the best B/Day pressy's, YOU GOT TO RACE!!!!!
Well done mate it was great to see you race, remember having fun and finishing the race in one piece is the most importand thing of all.

Posh Tourer :P
9th March 2005, 04:59
How about we try and get a load of people together who want to crew, and a load of people who need crew, and match them up?

Can anyone think of a way to organise this?

nicko
9th March 2005, 11:41
<
Thank you very much to all my mates and family for all the help and support. A BIG HUGE THANKS TO NICKO!! Then thank you again to Bernie and Sparky. :)
[/size]

No worries bro, I'm real stoked we got you going again. Sux to miss out on races, especially when you put so much money and time into getting there in the first place. Happy Birthday for the other day too.

Think your finishings are real credible mate and don't stress about it, racing is a real mind-f**k at times. I've had a crap nationals and my times haven't come down either but the more laps you do the more you learn so every meeting you take away new skills and knowledge that you can apply to the following meeting. e.g. not using a bloody clip link on your race bike's chain!!!! :niceone:

Motoracer
9th March 2005, 11:51
No worries bro, I'm real stoked we got you going again. Sux to miss out on races, especially when you put so much money and time into getting there in the first place. Happy Birthday for the other day too.

Think your finishings are real credible mate and don't stress about it, racing is a real mind-f**k at times. I've had a crap nationals and my times haven't come down either but the more laps you do the more you learn so every meeting you take away new skills and knowledge that you can apply to the following meeting. e.g. not using a bloody clip link on your race bike's chain!!!! :niceone:

Thanks man! :)

FROSTY
9th March 2005, 11:52
good onya nick :niceone: :niceone:

scroter
9th March 2005, 12:07
stroud didnt lap you mate he wasnt even in that race, it was shirrifs, harris and fitzgerald. just go hard bro, you got it i think 2smokes right set the rear end up. me thinking that springs too hard which may be upsetting your braking(back wheel lifting off the ground etc). unfortunatly the only real fix is a softer one, but robert taylor(hawera motorcylces) should just swap it.

FzerozeroT
9th March 2005, 12:40
I saw 26th mentioned somewhere. thats a trackday though, whens the next race? and are you coming to the Taupo track day MR?

ajturbo
9th March 2005, 12:52
hey MR..
great write up!! thanks!!!

i can be a pit bitch.. ask frosty...! :shake:

in taupo!!!
or even mansfield!!!

just PM me and book us (luke and i ) in! :banana: :banana:

(frosty...ummmm...lol):2thumbsup :banana: :spudwave:

same with you TS, if you

ALL PARK TOGETHER!!!!

there should be plenty of hands around to help out.

andy

Motoracer
9th March 2005, 13:34
I saw 26th mentioned somewhere. thats a trackday though, whens the next race? and are you coming to the Taupo track day MR?

Hey man, there's a race coming up on the 3rd of March at Taupo. It's Round 3 of the Pacific club. I'll be doing that. Then my next race is at Manfield on the 23rd of April.

I think I don't think I'll be doing the Taupo track day...

On the 26th, I will skip the track day at Pukekohe and go to Wellington to say a quick hello to the Welly residents and ride through the infamous Rimutaka hill.

P.S. Cheers for the offer Andy! I will let you know if I need any help. Some others have offered help via PM too! Thank you everyone! :grouphug:

Riff Raff
9th March 2005, 13:42
Hey man, there's a race coming up on the 3rd of March at Taupo.
Um the 3rd of March has been and gone.... You mean April, right?

Motoracer
9th March 2005, 13:43
Um the 3rd of March has been and gone.... You mean April, right?

Yep 3rd of April sorry. That's 3rd of April 2005.

Two Smoker
9th March 2005, 19:04
Yep 3rd of April sorry. That's 3rd of April 2005.

WOOHOOO another race day... ill be there :niceone: i *might* be at the track day on the 10th of April and the 26th of March....

But i definately will be at the race days on the 3rd of April and 23rd of April.... even if i have to sell one of my kidneys due to noone wanting to buy my car :cybaby: