PDA

View Full Version : Strapping the front end-lowering

revlikeshit
28th March 2009, 16:59
Am intrested to know where riders who dragrace have got bike specific tie downs/straps to lower the front end of their bike. I think they bolt to the caliper bolts???

Have done a few meetings in the past at meremere, on my old rgv150 and on my gsx750 with mixed results....

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated.

DEATH_INC.
28th March 2009, 17:24
Here, this guy will ship stuff to nz :)

http://www.spencercycle.com/category_s/74.htm

revlikeshit
29th March 2009, 13:28
Thanks for that, am wanting to take my fzr250 up to meremere and run it, completely standard then see where i can go from there so might look into it.

skidMark
29th March 2009, 13:34
interesting....

you could just drop the forks through the triples a bit?

R6_kid
29th March 2009, 14:41
interesting....

you could just drop the forks through the triples a bit?

Yep, but it's a pain in the arse to put them back to normal before you ride home. Strapping the front end down is a common thing to do, plus it allows quick adjustability without having to loosen off 4-8 bolts and then having to do them up again.

revlikeshit
29th March 2009, 17:27
Thought about that,but yea bit of a pain in the arse.
Just wondering does it tend to quicken up the steering a bit??? whats it like to ride with the front strapped down?

mugins
30th March 2009, 08:18
Am intrested to know where riders who dragrace have got bike specific tie downs/straps to lower the front end of their bike. I think they bolt to the caliper bolts???

Have done a few meetings in the past at meremere, on my old rgv150 and on my gsx750 with mixed results....

Any help on the subject would be much appreciated.

Yes l can get them in for you , iam an agent for Szhantz racing so any thing you find on their web site l can get ,l use them on both the 1000 and busa only takes a minute to put on and really helps to keep the front down at least alittle bit.http://www.schnitzracing.com/ Straps are only about $23usd but the brackets are from $50usd depending on what model.asfor the handling it does upset the steering abit wont go around corners to well and lowering the back makes it even worse.Mike

revlikeshit
30th March 2009, 18:12
cool, ill have a think aye... gona run bog standard to start with, then try it....
I mean the fzr 250 isnt exactly a wheelie machine( u dont say) but it would just mean i could be slipping the clutch of the line at higher revs... more in the power.

a few tenths faster than stock would mean 13's, not to bad for a 4stroke 250...
And my gsx should run 12's... now that its not hitting false neutrals between every gear.

Anyone gona run at the winter dw?

t3mp0r4ry nzr
13th April 2009, 11:22
what are the winter dates?
had a good search on their site but couldnt find anything

revlikeshit
15th April 2009, 22:30
14th of june is the first one....
I just had a look at the "dragwars.co.nz" site,maybe they havnt put them up on the fram site yet.
Last one is end of august, 6 meetings in total.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
1st May 2009, 18:05
cheers for that. will have to get the bike on the road and go have a thrash!

BTW, in my opinion you wouldnt need to strap the front for the fzr250. When I used to race a cbr250rr in streetstock, the best launch would be (from my experience) 12k rpm slipping of the clutch. slip the clutch slowly all the way out. If the clutch was dropped the nose would hop up (wheely) and the engine would promptly bogg down as it didnt have the power to wheel spin.

but its always nice to play with new toys, so good luck :)

revlikeshit
3rd May 2009, 15:16
More bikes the better, interesting some of the bikes and cars you see running at the strip.

I have dragged another guys '96 zxr250 at meremere before,when i was running my rgv150.. he let me have a run on the zxr. ran a 14.37, with a 6-7kmh lower trap speed than he was running(should have gone for the next gear)...cud have easily run a 14 flat or faster with another run.

If you can launch them properly the front wont come up.....
Its just about clutch control, if its coming up then ur dropping the clutch to fast.

My 2 Cents worth.