PDA

View Full Version : Sub frame welding

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 19:11
Hey everyone,

Im starting to look at fixing my GSX-R and have decided on starting with the subframe... I was talking to Nicko and he said that when Johan Bruns crashed his K4 they welded the frame back together...

I was wondering of any good places that could do this??? I was thinking of getting F1 engineering to do it. Any ideas on cost??? There is about 4 breaks needing to be welded ranging in size from 40mm to 80mm

Cheers

Jackrat
7th March 2005, 19:29
Hey everyone,

Im starting to look at fixing my GSX-R and have decided on starting with the subframe... I was talking to Nicko and he said that when Johan Bruns crashed his K4 they welded the frame back together...

I was wondering of any good places that could do this??? I was thinking of getting F1 engineering to do it. Any ideas on cost??? There is about 4 breaks needing to be welded ranging in size from 40mm to 80mm

Cheers

If it's steel go to your local car exhaust place.They do heaps of tube so are good.
If it's alloy go to a boat enginer,their bloody good and might do it cheap/free for the novelty value.I've had alloy welded at an East Tamaki marine place,they did an exellent job.

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 19:37
If it's steel go to your local car exhaust place.They do heaps of tube so are good.
If it's alloy go to a boat enginer,their bloody good and might do it cheap/free for the novelty value.I've had alloy welded at an East Tamaki marine place,they did an exellent job.

Awesome, might give that a go... yep its alloy, and difficult because it is "U" shaped tubing...

FROSTY
7th March 2005, 19:46
Youll need to get the frame checked for straight first dude.I use Brugar engineering at the end of barrys point rd--good guys and a good job,.

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 19:49
Youll need to get the frame checked for straight first dude.I use Brugar engineering at the end of barrys point rd--good guys and a good job,. the frame isnt bent, just cracked and broken off in places (similar places to Johan's old bike) as long as its cheaper than $500.... But will take it off the bike to double check the straightness...

Motu
7th March 2005, 19:54
I'll plug Machine Part Welding again - it's all they do,repair broken parts by welding.These guys don't pick up a welder every few weeks or days,it's day in day out welding everything concievable that's had a mishap.I don't think you'll find anyone more experianced than these guys.

Two Smoker
7th March 2005, 20:05
I'll plug Machine Part Welding again - it's all they do,repair broken parts by welding.These guys don't pick up a welder every few weeks or days,it's day in day out welding everything concievable that's had a mishap.I don't think you'll find anyone more experianced than these guys.

Cheers, would you be able to PM me a address and phone number please??

WINJA
7th March 2005, 21:23
Hey everyone,

Cheers
IVE HAD 2 FRAMES DONE AT BRUGAR ENGINEERING ON BARRYS POINT ROAD , GOOD WORK FOR A GOOD PRICE. YOU NEED TO TALK TO THE YOUNG GUY THAT RIDES THE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Teflon
7th March 2005, 21:48
Awesome, might give that a go... yep its alloy, and difficult because it is "U" shaped tubing...

I would take it it to F1 Eng. What type of alloy?, if it has magnesium properties, your average boat builder wont be able to weld it.

FROSTY
7th March 2005, 21:52
Hey TS --can ya get ya tank to me to look at.I know a bloke who I want to look at it for ya.

FzerozeroT
8th March 2005, 06:43
You're saying its "just cracked" but I'd put it in a jig anyway, when they start heating the alloy on one side it could warp out? How much is a new sub-frame?

Two Smoker
8th March 2005, 12:20
You're saying its "just cracked" but I'd put it in a jig anyway, when they start heating the alloy on one side it could warp out? How much is a new sub-frame?

no the frame is broken in places and it can be welded, ive seen it on Nicko's bike.... New subframe is about $600-$800 off e-bay or $1600 OEM

Tony, the tank is farked... its got folds in it so we cant do the trick you were telling me about :disapint:

ktulu
8th March 2005, 12:28
Ray seemed pretty worried your frame might be bent aswell, did you get that checked at all? like professionally as opposed to the "you reckon this looks bent?" "na, shes right mate"

How long before that baby is on the race track bro?

Two Smoker
8th March 2005, 16:53
Ray seemed pretty worried your frame might be bent aswell, did you get that checked at all? like professionally as opposed to the "you reckon this looks bent?" "na, shes right mate"

How long before that baby is on the race track bro?

at this rate years.... the frame didnt get hit from the side only from the top.... and you can see where it has broken off from force of where it has been hit.... Will still get it checked out though...

StoneChucker
8th March 2005, 21:09
Fuck mate, what a friggen headache this must be. I see from you planning to take it off the bike, you obviously know alot about the mechanical side of these friggen death traps. And, I also see (I'm overly astute as you can deduce) that you have heaps of people helping, and willing to help you so while it may take a while, you'll get there in the end. Don't dispair!

She'll be as good as she was before the tarmac kisses, just keep it on the track when it's fixed. :banana:

DEATH_INC.
18th March 2005, 19:17
Dude,just get that subframe to me and I'll sort it for ya.I do heaps of ally welding at work..... :wari:

Two Smoker
18th March 2005, 19:49
Dude,just get that subframe to me and I'll sort it for ya.I do heaps of ally welding at work..... :wari:

Will do mate, just need to sort out the bills first... like the forks that have cost me about $850 hehehe

DEATH_INC.
18th March 2005, 19:54
Don't worry about it,just get it here and we'll sort it out later.....