PDA

View Full Version : Shock swap

Gubb
29th March 2009, 19:43
So, after a little soul searching, and a bit of bank balance checking, the idea of splurging on ah Ohlins shock for mt Street Triple has gone out the window due to cost, and am looking for a cheaper alternative instead. I'd rather put that fund towards a cheap Track Bike, and slightly improve the road bike to take my not inconsiderable weight.

If I can get a Daytona 675 shock, I understands it bolts straight in. Is it a tricky job that's best left to the pro's, or a trained monkey (such as myself) should be able to achieve it.

Obviously, i'd be getting considerable help setting the shock up once it's in, but that's further down the track.

Robert Taylor
29th March 2009, 20:25
So, after a little soul searching, and a bit of bank balance checking, the idea of splurging on ah Ohlins shock for mt Street Triple has gone out the window due to cost, and am looking for a cheaper alternative instead. I'd rather put that fund towards a cheap Track Bike, and slightly improve the road bike to take my not inconsiderable weight.

If I can get a Daytona 675 shock, I understands it bolts straight in. Is it a tricky job that's best left to the pro's, or a trained monkey (such as myself) should be able to achieve it.

Obviously, i'd be getting considerable help setting the shock up once it's in, but that's further down the track.

Its not going to make a night and day difference to that bike, and frankly the Ohlins wont either. That bike has the linkage ratio from hell, it gets REALLY aggressive only about 1/3rd into its stroke. Its a matter of searching to see if someone has come up with a better link. You intimated that you are heavy, if so you are hitting that link ratio straight away! Merely fitting a firmer spring will hold it up in its stroke and allow it to do its best work ''before the link'' Very often we have found that Ohlins springs fit many oem shocks, this could be a low cost fix that works to your satisfaction. Suzuki S-Rad 600 / 750s from the late 90s were similarly afflicted and we had a spring rate and valving spec that delivered a huge improvement.

R6_kid
29th March 2009, 21:13
If reading Roberts info hasnt changed your mind, a shock swap is fairly simple on most bikes depending on exhaust/frame clearances. Most of the time its only two bolts that you need to undo.

I could swap the rear shock on my gixxer in about 10mins ready to ride again.

sinfull
29th March 2009, 23:16
For the purpose you want that bike for, in auckand traffic, what robert has suggested will work fine ! If ya like we could do a set up with your gear on next time we're at the track and see how its set up now (unless you've done this already) A second hand shock will be just that second hand and expensive for a 675 unless ya get lucky !
But for the sake of the price of a new spring of the correct rate to carry that frame of yours so as to give ya the correct static and rider sag Will be priceless at a lesser cost !
Sure ya still wont have the clickers for dampning, but ride it like ya know this lol and save the kenevil shit for the track bike !

Gubb
30th March 2009, 06:32
Sweet as, cheers for that folks.

What's the going rate for a decent spring then?

Robert Taylor
30th March 2009, 18:35
Sweet as, cheers for that folks.

What's the going rate for a decent spring then?

Like everything springs have gone up in price but also we have second hand springs very often, in good shape. But first it has to be established what the dimensions are for your oem spring. PM me if you wish to proceed further.