PDA

View Full Version : Tyre snobbery?

Bob
30th March 2009, 09:41
Well not so much snobbery, as finding tyres you really do like... and those you don't.

Thankfully they no longer make them, but I once had a bike that came with Metzeler MEZ4 tyres. In the dry and warm, they were fine. But when it was cold and wet? Eek! Took an eternity to warm up and gave precious little grip.

I also had a bike that came with Dunlop 208s - again, in the dry and warm, they were fine (did I say fine? Understatement. They were excellent, giving loads of grip, when accellerating they felt like they bit into the road to haul you forward). In the cold and wet? Again, hard to get heat into them, slippy and slidy and gave no warning that they were going to do it.

Yesterday, I was testing riding a Gladius - which came fitted with Dunlop Qualifiers. And yesterday was cold and wet to start with. And they still weren't warming up after 10 miles. But once the Sun came out and the roads dried? Fantastic tyre, let me take the bike on back roads and really push on with confidence.

On the other hand, I've always got on really well with Bridgestones. I've had a range of them fitted to different bikes (010s, 020s, 021s and B45s are the ones that spring to mind) - and they've all been great, both in warm, cold, wet and dry.

So... and I know I'm rambling on (again)... do any of you have tyre makes that you will go for time and again? Or are there ones that if you were offered them free of charge, you'd turn down and walk away from?

Just trying to get a feel for what other people think of the various brands out there, along with perceived good and bad points.

TOTO
30th March 2009, 09:53
As you said - Bridgestones are a good one that I'd be happy to put any day on my bike. Another one that I have noticed are exeprionally good are the Michelin pilot power 2ct. I have heard that michelin pilot road 2ct are even better in the wet and cold, just a less sporty if you take um to the track.
I cant wait to get some Pilot Roads fitted for winter as aparently they are primo :yes:

so yea , that narrows it down for me - Bridgestone and Michelin :yes:

slofox
30th March 2009, 09:59
Have only had two brands to compare so far this time around. The SV came with Dunlop D220s...they seemed OK - just tyres I would have to say - round and black and keep you off the ground. They took me 14000km in eleven months.

Changed to Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs. Well. Like a different bike. These tyres DO inspire confidence. So I would have them again any day. But then I haven't tried all the other brands out there so what would I know?

To be honest, a twenty year gap between bikes has shown me just how much technology has changed in those two decades. Back then, I would have had no idea what tyres I was riding on really - they were just tyres. The modern versions are very different and have made huge advances. Just like the bikes themselves.

Mystic13
30th March 2009, 13:28
Based on experience I'm not a Metzeler Z6 fan and would probably walk away from any Metzeler based on that experience. Ugghhhh.

Yes, I've heard there are some Metzeler fans out there.

:corn:

Michelin's have been very good in the wet. They do lose they're shape though.

http://www.bikesport.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=100068&osCsid=c3f18bffb4b1652d081cde7160cf4338

Probably either Pilot Road 2's for winter. My Z6 is cracking up and may be at the end of it's useful life although there is a bit of tread left.

The Shinko R005 looks good. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.whites.co.nz/products/shinko/773.aspx

I like the look of the Metzeler Lasertec for winter although I'm not a Metz fan. An old school tread pattern but redone tyre technology.

I also like the look of the Pirelli Angel's (and no the orange isn't on the tyre they're just highlighting the angel picture on the tyre)

http://www.motorradthunder.de/news/2009/pirelli_angel_2.jpg

Hitcher
30th March 2009, 16:30
I was offered a set of MEZ4s by a Gisborne bike shop last week. They looked a bit surprised when I rode off down the road on a completely dead-flat rear in search of a better offer somewhere else.

jtzzr
30th March 2009, 16:41
Mitchelln Pilot Powers are awesome ,quick warm-up, offers total confidence in the rain the dry and the corners ( they grip like a school boy).
But be warned they do get chewed up rather quickly if you tend to twist the grip too often.

pritch
30th March 2009, 16:48
I was offered a set of MEZ4s by a Gisborne bike shop last week. They looked a bit surprised when I rode off down the road on a completely dead-flat rear in search of a better offer somewhere else.

I don't understand what Metzeler were up to bringing the MEZ4 back. Despite the impressions of an earlier poster, the Z6 is one of the top rated ST tyres and very popular hereabout. So what were Metzeler up to? Unfortunately I'm not interested enough to read their website to find out.

Pirelli brought back some old tread patterns to compliment the Ducati retro range but the carcass, compounds, etc were brought up to date.

I didn't like Bridgestones in the wet so gave mine the heave early.

The Pirelli Diablo Rossos are fine and have been good in the rain (and they've seen plenty) but I'll want an ST tyre in winter. Dunlop Roadsmarts or Pirelli Angels next although that Angel tread thing does seem just a bit too gimicky.

Madness
30th March 2009, 16:53
Gimme Pirelli's any day.

I'd probably walk away from Conti Road Attacks if I were offered a set for free.

It's all subjective though, I know of loads of KBers that rave about the Conti's, they probably don't have a heavy-arsed bike with shit suspension.

Kiwi Graham
30th March 2009, 17:24
I've ridden on Michelins for years road & track. I use pilot road 2's at the moment, great grip and feed back wet or dry. I've heard they get a bit over heated if you take them on a track day but again they are predictable.
Tyres are such a personel choice, just look at all the number of manufactures out there......if they wern't selling them to someone they wouldn't be in business. Dont forget the way you set your suspension up effects the tyres big time!

AllanB
30th March 2009, 17:30
I saw some new Z4's in a shop last week. That's a old tyre design now. They did not appear to be super cheap either.

Loving a set of Pilot Road 2's on my Hornet at the moment and looking at the lack of wear so far they will be there for a while.

merv
30th March 2009, 17:34
My comments on the MEZ4 a few years back here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=483913&postcount=4

Still running Michelins on the VFR now but onto Pilot Road and Pilot Road 2 coz they don't make Macadams anymore as I understand it.

R6_kid
30th March 2009, 17:38
As a word of caution I wouldn't go saying XYZ brand can be trusted. Tyres are often designed to cope well with certain conditions, and generally trade off performance in some areas to perform better in others.

Many people over-tyre their bikes and end up getting 'excellent' grip all round, wheres using a different tyre from the same manufacturer is likely to give different results on a a different bike in different conditions.

Also, knowing how to warm a tyre up correctly can greatly change ones experience with any particular tyre. Weaving side to side is MUCH LESS effective (almost pointless) at heating up tyres than hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. Who says so? The guys designing the tyres, that's who.

Gremlin
30th March 2009, 19:16
I'm the opposite on Bridgestone. I had 014, didn't like them, neither did a mate. Did a quick trial of 016, probably fantastic in the dry, but diabolical in the wet.

Run through sets of Z6, Strada and Pilot Road 2 (along with plenty of others). I'll try tyres if they are designed for my use, and/or someone with knowledge says it is a good tyre. After finishing the first set, I know whether I will buy another set (only syncs and pilot road 2s have passed with flying colours)

At the moment, my tyre of choice is the Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Bit expensive, mileage is short, but outstanding performance. Pity the suppliers are either selling them super quick, or not getting enough in... but its almost like finding hen's teeth. :wacko:

Mystic13
31st March 2009, 07:57
Gimme Pirelli's any day.

I'd probably walk away from Conti Road Attacks if I were offered a set for free.

It's all subjective though, I know of loads of KBers that rave about the Conti's, they probably don't have a heavy-arsed bike with shit suspension.

Yep, been there. Conti Sport Attacks were the worst tyres I've had.

Mystic13
31st March 2009, 08:34
The Pirelli Diablo Rossos are fine and have been good in the rain (and they've seen plenty) but I'll want an ST tyre in winter. Dunlop Roadsmarts or Pirelli Angels next although that Angel tread thing does seem just a bit too gimicky.

If you think the Angel thing is too gimicky they say it changes to what the tyre is really about as it wears. So without looking much I'm guessing it changes into a devil.

I'm also after a winter tyre and at the moment it'll be Pilot Road 2's, the Angel if they get here, or possibly a Shinko.

R6_kid
31st March 2009, 11:35
Yep, been there. Conti Sport Attacks were the worst tyres I've had.

I used a couple of sets of used RaceAttacks for commuting and had no problem. Did you run the correct pressures? I know that Conti tyres tend to require different pressures than what most tyres run.

Two Smoker
31st March 2009, 11:47
As a word of caution I wouldn't go saying XYZ brand can be trusted. Tyres are often designed to cope well with certain conditions, and generally trade off performance in some areas to perform better in others.

Many people over-tyre their bikes and end up getting 'excellent' grip all round, wheres using a different tyre from the same manufacturer is likely to give different results on a a different bike in different conditions.

Also, knowing how to warm a tyre up correctly can greatly change ones experience with any particular tyre. Weaving side to side is MUCH LESS effective (almost pointless) at heating up tyres than hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. Who says so? The guys designing the tyres, that's who.

Geez, who gave you a brain all of a sudden gareth!? Most sense ive read since being back on the site. Tyres are a personal thing on the road. But there are so many factors excluding the tyre that contribute to grip and milage i.e pressures and suspension settings. For instance, Conti Race attacks need to be run at a low pressure. I normally run 22psi at the track and 25 on the road. But i wouldnt go and do that to a Pilot Power.

firefighter
31st March 2009, 11:47
Yeah I have to say iv'e been impressed with my conti road attacks, no weird parochialism or anything, just pretty happy, good grip when chasing my brother on his R6 with pirelli (super corsas? the race tyre yet not slicks) as best as a Hyobag can keep up with an R6 lol, yet also offers me good grip on frosty cold wet roads (I commute on open road-back roads for some of my daily trip) So yeah quite happy there.....

I don't know if I will choose them again, but I have no reason to not go for them again, i'd only try something else purely for comparison (who wants the same thing twice?)

cheshirecat
31st March 2009, 12:16
My VFR came with Pirelli's and I've replaced them, first the front and then the rear after they wore down, with Shinko's. I've found them slightly better than the P's in the wet and after a couple thousand K generally.
Haven't tried the other's yet so can't comment. I commute wet and dry and tend to ride conservative these days. Find tyre presures very critical though.

35tickets
31st March 2009, 12:28
I've had a very good run with the Metzlers, especially the MEZ4 on the ZZR. Went to a Z6 a year ago and found it terrible in the wet, and prone to sliding a lot in the even in the dry, but the Z4 was fine in wet and awesome in the dry (prob due to a heavy bike and rider). I will say however that I am running a Roadtec Z6 front and the MEZ4 on the rear (and a little wider at the rear, a 190 instead of a 180)

Every road bike I have owned (KR1-S, ZXR750 H1, GSXR1100L) I had fitted with Metzlers and loved them. And each to their own too....I think once you try tyres and find some you like, you tend to stick with them:niceone: