PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead forest trailride, Sunday 5 April

billaroo
30th March 2009, 16:17
Forest is in primo condition and the forecast is for fine weather the rest of the week.

chrisktm
30th March 2009, 17:37
and the forecast is for fine weather the rest of the week.

Stink :yawn:

chop
30th March 2009, 18:13
Agreed!!!! RAIN RAIN RAIN!!!!:devil2:

billaroo
31st March 2009, 07:06
Stink :yawn:

Agreed!!!! RAIN RAIN RAIN!!!!:devil2:

What a pair of forum whores....

chop
31st March 2009, 07:20
Just whores in general... Oh yea billaroo is there camping?

billaroo
31st March 2009, 07:54
Get a Perm Chop :niceone:

Sammikins
31st March 2009, 08:08
You're camp....

chop
31st March 2009, 10:35
your quite right billaroo is camp as camp as a row of tents!! what do i need a perm for billaroo i ate my crusts and look what happened!

JohnM575
31st March 2009, 10:36
does anyone know if these trails are open to quads as well?On the flyer it doesn't state whether its only suited for 2 wheeler's or open.

billaroo
31st March 2009, 11:25
does anyone know if these trails are open to quads as well?On the flyer it doesn't state whether its only suited for 2 wheeler's or open.

2 wheels only

billaroo
31st March 2009, 11:26
your quite right billaroo is camp as camp as a row of tents!! what do i need a perm for billaroo i ate my crusts and look what happened!

and everyone else's.......

chop
31st March 2009, 11:54
These riverhead rides are great and a good crew too

Pierce
31st March 2009, 14:05
2 wheels only

Awesomeo haha:first:

billaroo
31st March 2009, 14:10
crippled veteran??? or just slow??

someone who is trying to put something into the sport and shouldn't have to put up with time wasters like you Brendan....

chop
31st March 2009, 15:01
:crybaby::2guns:

cheese
31st March 2009, 19:02
Gutted!! In in freaking China!!!!

tommorth
31st March 2009, 19:32
so whos going xen and I should be there big white van kdx and an orange thing

D dub
1st April 2009, 18:25
Junior and I will be there.

Factoryjohn
1st April 2009, 19:36

See you there Dub, got those sproingers working yet??
Was that battery out of one of your sex toys??

knobby clark
1st April 2009, 19:36
me too- me and the mighty xr280 might have to give chop a tune up:headbang:

chop
1st April 2009, 20:03
oh dear has someone been picking mushrooms up there again??.....:wacko:

takitimu
2nd April 2009, 07:03
Forest is in primo condition and the forecast is for fine weather the rest of the week.

mmm, unless it rains all week the guys are not keen on the Bull Run, I reckon I could talk a few guys into coming down, much of the TTR track going to be used & is the car park going to be safe for me ?.

billaroo
2nd April 2009, 07:11
mmm, unless it rains all week the guys are not keen on the Bull Run, I reckon I could talk a few guys into coming down, much of the TTR track going to be used & is the car park going to be safe for me ?.

Yep TTR southern loop in reverse with a couple of new bits + the special test to practise on- see you there.

tommorth
2nd April 2009, 17:29

what happend in the car park ?? did you get stuck??? saw a guy get his van stuck at a friday ride so funny lol

takitimu
2nd April 2009, 17:45
what happend in the car park ?? did you get stuck??? saw a guy get his van stuck at a friday ride so funny lol

Overbalanced while yapping at hukerenui enduro, almost fell onto Bill's car ( think inches clearance ) & took out a guy beside me who fell kind of awkwardly onto Bill's trailer.

tommorth
2nd April 2009, 18:08
haha we all do things like that
heard a story once about a guy of his who got a new bike and the rode from whangarei to auckland he spent the trip thinking how nice it was that the exhausts which ran under the pegs were keeping his feet warm , when he got to aucland the soles of his shoes had melted onto the pipes so when he stoped at the lights he couldnt put his foot down comes to a stop and bang falls over

EXCDirt
2nd April 2009, 18:42

:niceone:

Yeah.... That was me. Had been testing my offroad skills on the bike but had an epic fail when I tried to get adventurous in the Hiace van.

Thanks To all the helpers that helped push me back up the bank.

I'll be out on sunday for a double re-try.

D dub
2nd April 2009, 18:59
With the lack of rain it will be easy as so I hope they put in some REAL EXPERT bits!!!!:apumpin:

Factoryjohn
2nd April 2009, 19:51
With the lack of rain it will be easy as so I hope they put in some REAL EXPERT bits!!!!:apumpin:

I've heard you like it when it's hard.

Factoryjohn
2nd April 2009, 19:57
me too- me and the mighty xr280 might have to give chop a tune up:headbang:

Shit those 280s were good bikes. I've got some bits that might interest you, I'll be the guy in the lowered Morris Marina pick up.
Anyone who's not at Riverhead in the weekend is a homo.

kezzafish
2nd April 2009, 21:04
Shit those 280s were good bikes. I've got some bits that might interest you, I'll be the guy in the lowered Morris Marina pick up.
Anyone who's not at Riverhead in the weekend is a homo.

some might question the sexuality of someone who slams and decks a morris. lol. Just fuckin with ya

Factoryjohn
2nd April 2009, 21:27
some might question the sexuality of someone who slams and decks a morris. lol. Just fuckin with ya

No worries, actually the ute belongs to my missus. I've got a tricked out coupe.

chop
3rd April 2009, 06:50
Were meant to encorage people to come to riverhead not scare them off with storys of xr280s and morris marina's... Now a cf bedford and a maico 400 thatd be encoraging...D Dub likes hard but unfortunity all he can manage is soft! :wari:

Sammikins
3rd April 2009, 12:26

:eek5: back away from the morris.... :eek5:

D dub
3rd April 2009, 18:09
Were meant to encorage people to come to riverhead not scare them off with storys of xr280s and morris marina's... Now a cf bedford and a maico 400 thatd be encoraging...D Dub likes hard but unfortunity all he can manage is soft! :wari:

When your my size soft is all most can handle!!
Ps. Stop peaking when Im putting my riding gear on!!

knobby clark
3rd April 2009, 18:56
were meant to encorage people to come to riverhead not scare them off with storys of xr280s and morris marina's... Now a cf bedford and a maico 400 thatd be encoraging...d dub likes hard but unfortunity all he can manage is soft! :wari:

when your my size soft is all most can handle!!
Ps. Stop peaking when im putting my riding gear on!!

chop = fig jam

chop
4th April 2009, 06:22
oh dear........

kezzafish
4th April 2009, 06:46
what the fuck is this all about then? who's knobby clark? and how's your mum?

xen
4th April 2009, 15:51
Riverhead YEEEEHAAAAA

chop
4th April 2009, 19:13
went an helped mark this ride out today its going to be a goody... couple of new sections

tommorth
5th April 2009, 19:36
blood awasome day bit off everything in there the track change halfway through rocked that freshly bulldozed section was mint think only one or two bikes went through before us . And that run down the clearfell hill was a blast more please
have some helmet cam footage i'll try and edit down in the next day or so

a big thanks to all who organised the ride

camchain
5th April 2009, 21:53

Was that you I spoke to about your camera tommorth (in the carpark)?

Quite a good size crowd there today. Had a fantastic day, loved that section in the middle, climbing up those tight little switchbacks. I love Riverhead in the dry, all the roughness and gnarly rooty type obstacles are all there but you can get some pace and flow happening without greasing around too much. Still a bit too much gravel but you can't have it all. For some reason I really found my groove and slotted into it today. Makes such a difference when you're on top of your game. Rode with the marshall (MNZ yellow vest on a yamaha) for a bit. Anyone know who he is (guy with beard)?

xen
5th April 2009, 22:08
Yeah that was tom camchain, luckily i wasn't in front of the camera much :)
Mint ride, the clearfell hill was abit dicey, yeah nailing those hillclimbs was awesome. Just got over the flu so was taking it easy but at least meant I didn't fall much :lol:

camchain
5th April 2009, 22:22
Cool, was that you next to him xen? He did a nice job on that home made camera mount. Look forward to seeing some clips. The clear fell section was nice - so good to have variety, but it needs to be treated with respect. Weird riding on sticks and branches and no dirt. One bad/sharp deflection on the front and you're in all sorts of trouble.

stig
5th April 2009, 22:58
that ride was an absolute blast.
Good variety, loved the hill climbs.
also good to to get ktm dirty instead of sandy for the first time.
did 4 laps on main loops and one on the shorty, so near 100km
Tired but happy :yes:

will definately be at the next one :scooter:

billaroo
6th April 2009, 08:16
Was that you I spoke to about your camera tommorth (in the carpark)?

Quite a good size crowd there today. Had a fantastic day, loved that section in the middle, climbing up those tight little switchbacks. I love Riverhead in the dry, all the roughness and gnarly rooty type obstacles are all there but you can get some pace and flow happening without greasing around too much. Still a bit too much gravel but you can't have it all. For some reason I really found my groove and slotted into it today. Makes such a difference when you're on top of your game. Rode with the marshall (MNZ yellow vest on a yamaha) for a bit. Anyone know who he is (guy with beard)?

shane smith (on a borrowed gas gas 300)

xen
6th April 2009, 09:38
Yeah was me. Haha yea those cable ties worked well

camchain
6th April 2009, 12:21
Thanks billaroo I'm a newish (2 yr) waitemata club member so good to get a fix on who's who. (and thanks also to chop, shane and everyone else who did the usual work to make these events happen. Where did that nifty bulldozer come from? Great item.) oops that would have been shane on a blue gasser alright (not yam). So good for the skills to chase someone better than self. Thankfully he didn't open it up on the road sections and I was able to hang in there!

Ha. You can't go wrong with cable ties xen, but maybe tommorth will stick up a pic of the helmetcam mount he made. Dowell/plate/ and a coat of black paint? Just like a bought one.

Keithf
6th April 2009, 18:04
I have about 3 hours of video of the day ........it will take me a few days to get through it all and come up with a short viewable clip

I will post it on Youtube and here http://www.dirtvideo.co.nz

blood awasome day bit off everything in there the track change halfway through rocked that freshly bulldozed section was mint think only one or two bikes went through before us . And that run down the clearfell hill was a blast more please

a big thanks to all who organised the ride

tommorth
6th April 2009, 20:09
heres a pic of the mount is a bit hard to see think its cos its matt black
bit of aly plate (needs to be quite thick so you can countersink the screw ) , a large screw ,a bit of broomstick about 50mm and some inseal tape/foam tape

really easy to make most of the time was bending the plate to a shape that fitted nicely against my helmet the inseal tape stops it vibrating/moving around a bit. I did try useing the velcro straps that came with the cam but can't get them tight enough so have to sacrifice a few cable ties each time I use it .WAs a little concerned that they wouldnt hold up stray branches but after a couple of altercations with the scrub it doesnt seem to be going anywhere

about to start editing it into something watchable hopefully
Keithf 3 hours is a lot of footage I've got about 1.5 hours will be interesting to see some of yours

Keithf
6th April 2009, 21:13
Attached is a picture of mine. It has a two part velcro mount-one past sticks to the helmet and the other has the camera mount with a velcro backing. Seems to work ok. I am going to get a bit of PVC pipe to protect it from the worst hits. The recorder sits in my camelback.

I have started to look at the video-theres a lot of single track with no one in front of me and the shadows don't make for a pretty picture-still if I get five minutes of good stuff it will be worth it.

What kind of camera is that?

about to start editing it into something watchable hopefully
Keithf 3 hours is a lot of footage I've got about 1.5 hours will be interesting to see some of yours[/QUOTE]

tommorth
6th April 2009, 21:43
shadows then white clay and ash + bright sunlight some is pretty hard to see

cams an atc3k records to sd card and has two aa batterys inside so is a little bulky and heavy would fall straight off with velcro:( quality is fine for the comp but try wating it on the tv and it makes you feel ill lol

what are you recording onto/with keithf ? looks very compact

stig
6th April 2009, 23:12
nice shot of the wheel stand.
would be keen to see some of the footage, are you going to chuck a clip up on youtube or sim?

Tommorth - hint with the cable ties is loop an extra one through the centres of the others, that way their guaranteed not to work loose.

Keithf
7th April 2009, 11:43
...and well i'm not the quickest rider around...

I have one of these little beauty's
http://www.vio-pov.com/products/

Records to a 4 or 8 gig SD card and runs on 4 AA batteries and the picture is awesome-upto 720X480.

It costs a lot more than the cams like the ATK but the picture is also much better and it is also pretty robust. I justify the cost in that I enjoy playing with the video almost as much as i do the riding

cheers

shadows then white clay and ash + bright sunlight some is pretty hard to see

cams an atc3k records to sd card and has two aa batterys inside so is a little bulky and heavy would fall straight off with velcro:( quality is fine for the comp but try wating it on the tv and it makes you feel ill lol

what are you recording onto/with keithf ? looks very compact

camchain
7th April 2009, 23:51
Would dearly love one of these helmet cams. Unfortunately tax vulture swooping in for it's pound of flesh again.

tommorth
9th April 2009, 06:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMWd_Bj_-y4

bit shaky but ya get the idea

kezzafish
9th April 2009, 09:01

fire in the disco
Don't ya wanna know how we keep starting fires? it's my desire, it's my desire, it's my desire

Danger danger high voltage

Classic, well done

Keithf
10th April 2009, 18:45
my contribution this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82tbABqQohk)

camchain
11th April 2009, 21:46
Being on dismal dialup speed is a struggle when trying to look at these vids but it's amazing how they put you right back there when watching - neat stuff. I think these very small lenses have a bit of a problem in low light, they just don't have the light gathering capability a large lens has. When I got my first decent rifle scope I was blown away how well I could see on dusk -clearer/brighter than normal vision with big 40mm objective lens. Do the cameras have contrast adjustability? Can contrast etc be adjusted with editing software?

Keithf
12th April 2009, 09:36
My camera has a few quality settings but mostly it is just strap it to the helmet and go-and look at what footage you have at the end. This camera is not too bad in lowlight conditions but on the highest quality settings struggles sometimes trying to process images where there is a lot going on-going from shadows into a lighter situation with a few complex light and shadow combos thrown in.

Being on dismal dialup speed is a struggle when trying to look at these vids but it's amazing how they put you right back there when watching - neat stuff. I think these very small lenses have a bit of a problem in low light, they just don't have the light gathering capability a large lens has. When I got my first decent rifle scope I was blown away how well I could see on dusk -clearer/brighter than normal vision with big 40mm objective lens. Do the cameras have contrast adjustability? Can contrast etc be adjusted with editing software?

tommorth
13th April 2009, 15:03
nice vid Keithf definite quality jump between the two cameras

Keithf
14th April 2009, 18:21
Thanks-this is my third camera so I thought I would go for a decent one-it was worth it

nice vid Keithf definite quality jump between the two cameras