PDA

View Full Version : Buying in Australia

platypus121
30th March 2009, 16:42
I'm planning a trip in Aust, but when there about a year ago, VicRoads would not let me buy a bike as I could not prove I had a permanent address in the country. By prove I mean they wanted documents along the lines of house ownership papers, rental agreement (at least 2 months old and current), and long term HP agreements - the address of the hostel I was at while in Melbourne was definitely not enough.

Thought it might just be a Victorian thing, so I checked with a bike shop in Brisbane. Seems they would not be able to sell to me without a permanent address, and (they say) even if they did ,I would not be able to get insurance for the same reason. :weep:

What's happened over there? Years ago I bought a car/insurance 'no probs'. Anyone have recent experience they can share?

Cheers

cc rider
1st April 2009, 14:07
how long are you staying, do you have anyone your staying w/ & which state. I'll look into it for you if you like

topcat83
5th April 2009, 22:29
Interesting to hear your problems, as we were planning to do a road trip of Australia next year, and were considering buying motorcycles out there rather than renting or trying to ship our bikes out.

It's much too expensive to rent bikes for a long trip, and shipping costs seem to be high too.

Are there any other options?

Tone165
6th April 2009, 00:50
Interesting to hear your problems, as we were planning to do a road trip of Australia next year, and were considering buying motorcycles out there rather than renting or trying to ship our bikes out.

It's much too expensive to rent bikes for a long trip, and shipping costs seem to be high too.

Are there any other options?

There are always options!

If all you need is an address...super easy!

send a PM when your ready to go!

topcat83
6th April 2009, 06:10
There are always options!

Thanks for the offer! Only just joined the group and you all seem a super-friendly bunch!

platypus121
6th April 2009, 12:36
how long are you staying, do you have anyone your staying w/ & which state. I'll look into it for you if you like

Thanks for your help Col, much appreciated.

-Col (CC Rider) checked out the problem I experienced with the RTA, and it seems that the "authorities" were not as up with the play as they should have been. Below is CC's reply which clears the waters:

Hi Bernard,

I was able to get a writen response from the RTA with regards to the purchase and registration of a vehicle for an overseas visitor. This was their response:

"It has been agreed nationally that additional documents are acceptable as proof of address for the registration of a vehicle to a visitor from interstate or overseas with no fixed NSW address.

They include:

A receipt for accommodation in NSW, or
Evidence of a NSW contact address, this may be the address of a friend or relative. Where the address of a friend or relative is provided, a letter from the nominated contact person authorising the use of their address on behalf of the applicant must be provided. The letter must state the name of the applicant and the name and address of the person authorising the use of their address.
When the above proof of address documents are accepted the applicant must be advised to ensure that they receive any notices issued in relation to the vehicle.

The most up to date and current information regarding RTA accepted Proof of Identity (POI) documents can be found using the below link from the RTA website.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/proofidentity/index.html

I hope i have been of help.

Cheers
Col

cc rider
7th April 2009, 17:07
Thanks for your help Col, much appreciated.

-Col (CC Rider) checked out the problem I experienced with the RTA, and it seems that the "authorities" were not as up with the play as they should have been. Below is CC's reply which clears the waters: [/I]

Me thinks I have had an identity change & maybe a sex change too :eek5: :laugh:

Also checking out prob in Victoria. But can't take credit for Col's good work. :)

chrisso
8th April 2009, 17:13
got it sorted??? The RTA is a bunch of beaurocratic $grabbing pricks...wait till you try to get CTP (3rd party Ins)for a bike....bit more exxy than in NZ.
Hope you enjoy it here anyhows:scooter: