PDA

View Full Version : What do you drink on long rides?

Jantar
31st March 2009, 23:01
There have been a few threads in the past on how to keep yourself hydrated on long rides. Some carry bottled water, others, like myself, prefer unsweetened fruit juice. But now there is a new product on the market that is absolutely suited to us long distance riders.

Have a look at http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/

LBD
31st March 2009, 23:53
There have been a few threads in the past on how to keep yourself hydrated on long rides. Some carry bottled water, others, like myself, prefer unsweetened fruit juice. But now there is a new product on the market that is absolutely suited to us long distance riders.

Don't need to click on the link to recognise a "Tui's moment" when I see one.

Gremlin
1st April 2009, 00:21
I use Powerade, and have a penchant for blue. Seems to help muscle recovery, electrolytes etc.

Zapf I think starts with water, then slowly adds lift plus, in increasing concentration, until near the end its pure lift plus.

Now... this all depends on what you term a long ride :laugh: For some, a 200km round trip is enough to pack for (whereas I don't even need a drink), where others think long is 1000km+, or even 1500km+ in a hit. :ride:

Whynot
1st April 2009, 00:38
Bourbon mostly.
Usually 2 or 3 to start and then another few along the way.

Btw, whats the date?

mctshirt
1st April 2009, 05:03
Beer, coffee, or Red Bull depending on ambient temperature and which end of the day it is.

nallac
1st April 2009, 07:13
Bourbon mostly.

Btw, whats the date?

now ya talking, :yes:

pritch
1st April 2009, 07:29
Haven't clicked the link - just looked at the date.

Does remind me though of another life in various tropical climes when we ran seriously short of water for a day or two or three. At such times one starts thinking wishfully in terms of instant water. We could never get past the bit where the instructions would say, "Add water and stir".

Burtha
1st April 2009, 09:17
Not that I've really been on any long rides, but I use Replace (cheaper than mixed drinks) plus I add a vitamin C mix as well and take vitamin B caps (vit B is great for energy).

Otherwise, am still keen on strapping on a couple of cans to each side of the helmet ... :)

Mully
1st April 2009, 09:50
Don't need to click on the link to recognise a "Tui's moment" when I see one.

Check the time and date of the OP - getting in early with his pranks.

Although, someone has spent a lot of time on that website.

EDIT: Check out the "Employee Benefits" if you work for them:

Free dehydrated water
Employee events
Casual work environment
401k program
Dental/Medical/Vision plan
Unlimited Stress
Harassment of all sorts
Yearly bonus
Term life insurance
Long term disability
3 Vacation days/year
2 sick days/year Free transportation to work by mule
Complimentary Twinkies
Minimum wage salary
Free paper clips
Usage of restroom facilities
Ketchup packets from McDonalds
Napkins from Del Taco
Straws from 7-Eleven
Usage of our customers' credit cards
Unlimited toilet paper
Office supplies to use at work
Air conditioned office (Winter months only)

Mikkel
1st April 2009, 10:49
Mostly vodka, I find that the additives in most other beverages doesn't help my hangovers.

Jantar
1st April 2009, 11:01
A lame April 1 web site, but I had almost forgotten until just before midnight yesterday. Still caught a few even after someone pointed out the date. :msn-wink:

nallac
1st April 2009, 11:02
just checked out the website, man its funny..

Heres one from FAQ for carver;

"Is this product thicker than blood? If so, will it dissolve the Mafia and other family owned businesses, reverse inbreeding, stop 'ethnic cleansing', etc?"

Response: We are testing this at the present time.

"Does dehydrated water come in different flavors? Like some of the flavored waters?"

Response: From random taste tests, we have determined that our customers felt our water tasted too clean. So we are now market testing flavors that the general public are more accustomed to. They include Super Sewage Flavor, Oil Spill Delight, and Tropical Mold fortified with Rust. If the results are positive, you will see these added to our online store.

Mystic13
1st April 2009, 11:03
Buydehydratedwater.com is growing at an astronomical rate and expanding into neighborhoods all around the USA. We are currently seeking individuals who are hungry for a challenge, ready for a drastic change in their financial future, and eager to conquer the impossible. Answer these questions to see if this is the right opportunity for you:
1. Would you like a profession in retail sales where you get to deal with the public on a daily basis?

2. Are you excited about being in on a one-of-a-kind, ground floor opportunity franchise?

3. Do you have good credit and available funds to meet the initial investment requirements?

4. Are you pleasant and friendly? Can you get along with others easily?

5. Have you ever sold deep-discount travel services?

6. Are you a graduate from a reputable college or university, such as The University of Nigeria?

7. Are you brainless enough to think a career in selling dehydrated water can actually make your richer than your wildest dreams have ever made you imagine?

If you answered yes to all of these questions, we would like to hear from you. Please send us an email and tell us about yourself. We are anxiously waiting for your reply and look forwards to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

I like the franchise opportunity questions, especially the last three. there must be some people that qualify.

Mystic13
1st April 2009, 11:12
As for long rides,

If I'm doing 1600km's in a day (see www.rustynuts.org.nz) then it's powerade in a camel pack and bars with nuts.

If it's anything up to 1000km's then it's a flatwhite.

If it's off road for the day then I pack water in the camel pack.

If it's real cold then hot drinks are useful.

:yawn:

If it's real hot then cold drinks are useful.

If its... :sleep:

vgcspares
1st April 2009, 11:14
Bourbon mostly.

diluted with dehydrated water to taste ?

buellbabe
1st April 2009, 11:27
Given the public crucification that I have just endured on another thread I find myself laughing aloud at the audaciousness of those who would suggest something alcoholic... hahahahahahaha

JDs or Chardonnay for me ...

On a long ride I carry bottled water AND barley sugars.

rocketman1
1st April 2009, 18:54
Mate it doesn't really what you drink, water is good.
But what ever you drink, drink plenty especially in summertime, as well as at the racetrack...dehydration is a big problem for bikers.
dehydration = loss of concentration= increased chance of an accident
If your not pissing every couple of hours... your dehydrated= cramping
DRINK

NighthawkNZ
1st April 2009, 19:03

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/ just add water :blink:

Richard Mc F
1st April 2009, 19:49
coffee in the morning, beer later!!!

Aaron_newrider
1st April 2009, 19:52
coffee in the morning, beer later!!!

I personally find a good screw in the morning better than coffee to wake me up....

MarkH
1st April 2009, 21:41
But now there is a new product on the market that is absolutely suited to us long distance riders.

I think it would have been funnier if it wasn't so obvious. For 'dehydrated water' to fool someone then they would have to not understand what dehydrated means (or maybe what 'water' is?). Unfortunately I can't think of a really clever name for bogus water right now.

Whynot
1st April 2009, 21:47
I personally find a good screw in the morning better than coffee to wake me up....

hows this one?

DarkLord
1st April 2009, 21:51
Old engine oil from a Gixxer Thou.

Mmmm.... enginey. :drinkup:

Seriously though, water all the way, with the odd red bull or V.

Aaron_newrider
1st April 2009, 22:19
hows this one?

OMG you have one of those at home aswell?

:2thumbsup