PDA

View Full Version : HID installation. Help

cool_J
1st April 2009, 01:26
Hi, is there anyone in Wellington has done HID installation for Ninja 250R 09? Or has done on your bike? I wana do it, but i know nothing about electrical thingy so dont dare to do it yet, neither adjust it to suit the law. If someone would like to help me, please give me a message. Thanks

Gremlin
1st April 2009, 03:06
It depends on the kit and bulb type your bike has, but it should be pretty plug 'n play (with extra wires, ballast etc).

Its illegal to fit HID kits into normal headlight units...

CookMySock
1st April 2009, 08:06
Its illegal to fit HID kits into normal headlight units...I keep hearing people say that, but my bike keeps getting a WOF no worries. Repeating things more and more loudly does not a fact make.

It is the LOW BEAM that must pass certain tests - proper cutoff height and shape etc. They largely do not care about the highbeam unit, as long as it works, so I upgraded my hyosungs highbeam. Upgrade the lowbeam if you like, and maybe you will be fine, but if the pattern or cutoff is badly out they will fail you on a WOF, and fair enough too. It's not an expensive thing to buy or try, and plenty of people have illegal exhausts, so just do it IMO.

If you already have really good headlights and you put a HID bulb in there, you will not be able to ride around with your headlights on fullbeam during the day, coz people will throw things at you. It's nasty fucking bright.

Basically, you have to make sure you have the correct bulb type for the headlamp fitting. Take the existing bulb into any automotive shop (Repco?) and ask them to identify the bulb for you. It will likely be a H1 or H3, then by a H1 or H3 or whatever kit.

Wiring up the HID lamp to the Inverter is a no-brainer - comes with plugs that only fit one way.

Connecting the bikes' 12V wiring to the Inverter will involve cutting wires and crimping connectors on, and you should probably get your auto-electrician to do this properly - even a cheap crimp tool does a shit job, and its only a ten minute job for a pro to do it.. Make it abundantly clear to said professional that if he connects the inverter back-to-front he will fuck it, and he can buy you a new one if he does that.

The only hard part is mounting the Inverter somewhere. Doublesided foam mounting tape and cable ties are your friend here, but the mounting surface must be flat and clean.

Have fun. Take your time, and welcome to HID's.

Steve

Gremlin
1st April 2009, 11:47
Sure, if the WOF guys don't notice or twig what exactly has been done, it will pass (like mine did). Its like anything, its all fine until someone with the power to turn your day bad, notices. By law, it is illegal to modify a normal headlight unit and put HID in (can't remember the exact wording)

I would not recommend putting the high beam on HID instead of the low beam, if you will do a lot of night riding. HID lights take a few seconds to reach full brightness, and if you flick the high beam on, low goes off, and you'll be in darkness for a couple of seconds, before the high beam comes on strong enough to be able to use.

For it to actually come to full strength, its probably at least 5 seconds, either way, its dangerous not to have light for a couple of seconds, since the normal use of high beam involves turning it on and off, as and when there are oncoming cars.

CookMySock
1st April 2009, 13:49
I would not recommend putting the high beam on HID instead of the low beam, if you will do a lot of night riding. HID lights take a few seconds to reach full brightness, and if you flick the high beam on, low goes off, and you'll be in darkness for a couple of seconds, before the high beam comes on strong enough to be able to use.

For it to actually come to full strength, its probably at least 5 seconds, either way, its dangerous not to have light for a couple of seconds, since the normal use of high beam involves turning it on and off, as and when there are oncoming cars.This is true. If the HIDs are completely cold you should preheat them with the pass button before committing with the "fullbeam" switch, or you get a sudden pool of blackness. IF you are on straight road and you are aware this is going to happen, its quite fun doing it and watching the lights move through the full colour spectrum from black to gold to chrome, to turquoise, to blue, the ultra-crystalline white.. I never get tired of watching it do that.

If you have shit lights like the hyo does, generally you can convert to HID and leave them on fullbeam and no one complains. At night they have to be dipped.

If you can get away with a HID lowbeam conversion then do it. Plenty of people get away with a borderline-legal noisy exhaust conversion, and this is widely celebrated, so why not a massively bright headlight when it increases your chances of being seen?

HIDs FTW IMO.

Steve

Katman
1st April 2009, 19:02
It is clearly stated in the WOF manual that fitting HID bulbs to the standard headlight housing is illegal.

3umph
1st April 2009, 19:04
Can I ask a really dumb thing.... but what is a HID light???

Katman
1st April 2009, 19:12

High Intensity Discharge.

3umph
1st April 2009, 19:15
Cheers.... found some info on them.... and a few youtube vids

Katman
1st April 2009, 19:23
Plenty of people get away with a borderline-legal noisy exhaust conversion, and this is widely celebrated, so why not a massively bright headlight when it increases your chances of being seen?

Maybe because I've never heard of anyone driving off the road after being blinded by a borderline-legal noisy exhaust.

:weird:

Disco Dan
1st April 2009, 19:42

Have you ever been actually 'blinded' from behind by a cars lights - so bright and white that you cannot actually make out your own lights, nor can you see much because the car behind has HID lights.

Farking dangerous things.

Although must admit, my car is pretty low to the ground (my bottom is literally 3" from the road).

The sealed beam headlights on my mini are rubbish - prob the same equivalent or less to the hyo lights. Hence why I have fitted 100w of extra driving lights to the front.

There is no real need for HID - more a fancy rich boys toy.

Tank
1st April 2009, 19:46
There is no real need for HID - more a fancy rich boys toy.

A full HID system / enclosure IS expensive - BUT just changing a bulb is the poor mans HID option.

Disco Dan
1st April 2009, 19:52
First photo is of HID lights in a fiesta (i think)

Other two are an illegally modified mini with HID's.

Max wattage of new bulbs without upgrading anything is limited to 55w - not always the bulb !

Tank
1st April 2009, 19:55
Have you ever been actually 'blinded' from behind by a cars lights - so bright and white that you cannot actually make out your own lights, nor can you see much because the car behind has HID lights.

Farking dangerous things.

Some road users just dont give a fuck about bikers.

Here is someone who advocates using HIDS on full beam all the time:

For dipped beam ? Yes, this is the legal/WOF issue, and partly the reason why I didn't mod my dip beam. The other reason was I never use the dip beam. :laugh:

There IS one safety issue with HIDs on fullbeam everywhere, and that is I am unable to flash anyone. Not sure if I like this. I have to dip before I can flash. However, flashing with pre-heated HIDs is fucking awesome! They go off real baaaad, and fire a really harrrrd and short "BLINK" off everything, lightning strike stylez. You can actually see everyone look around like "WTF was that?" Funny thing is, they all look in different directions.. :laugh:

: The safe passage of my arse is vastly more important to me than some complaining motorist who regularly "doesn't see me." They see me now, thats for sure

Disco Dan
1st April 2009, 20:01
Thankfully most people are not as self centered !

To original poster:

Upgrade your bulb, experiment with a few different types.

Avoid HID lighting - VERY hot will no doubt melt something if you bugger it up, not to mention the DANGER to other road users.

cool_J
1st April 2009, 20:47
Alrite guys, So I guess I should sell my new HID system. I dont know If the other bulbs can give me fun or not lolz I like HID but seem like more offense than support from people

Gremlin
1st April 2009, 22:36
It does depend how good the stock reflector housing is, with a normal bulb. My preference is just to swap the bulb, and replace it with a Philips/Hella +50% bulb. I've normally had fantastic results.

CookMySock
2nd April 2009, 07:44
Alrite guys, So I guess I should sell my new HID system. I dont know If the other bulbs can give me fun or not lolz I like HID but seem like more offense than support from peopleYou do what you want to do bro. On KB you will always get the one percent who think you are wrong, and they will speak up and try to make you look like an idiot - fuck them, do as you choose.

And if you are worried that some asshole biker is going to corner you somewhere and give you the fucking word on account of your modified headlights, then what sort of person is that? Make your own mind up.

Do what you want with your bike, and fuck everyone else. When its their turn to mod their bike, they don't come on some forum and ask everyone and get told off do they? Nup, they just go and do it, and so should you.

Have fun modding your bike.

Steve

Tank
2nd April 2009, 09:14
Alrite guys, So I guess I should sell my new HID system. I dont know If the other bulbs can give me fun or not lolz I like HID but seem like more offense than support from people

The +50's that Gremlin mentioned are a really good choice, do a great job, are cheaper and are legal.

Not many down sides with them.

nallac
2nd April 2009, 09:27
The +50's that Gremlin mentioned are a really good choice, do a great job, are cheaper and are legal.

I have tried +30s lot better than stock,

want to try +50s next, but only place round here that has em, $27 each..
only down side is shorter bulb life...

I have seen the HID conversions on T/me, some come with the low beam dip/
done mechanically,so no delay/loss of light...
I would love to have brightness that a HID conversion can do.

vifferman
2nd April 2009, 09:33
Something no-one seems to have mentioned is the high initial current draw when the HID unit is first switched on. If you do fit one, make sure that power to the unit is via new (fatter gauge) wiring and a relay. Start-up current draw though the standard wiring could well fry your light switch and wiring.

vifferman
2nd April 2009, 09:40
Repeating things more and more loudly does not a fact make.
Is that right?

Do what you want with your bike, and fuck everyone else.
"I'm alright - fuck you Jack!"?
Because it's what I think, or what I want, it's therefore right?

Wonderful.

Owl
2nd April 2009, 16:47

I have tried +30s lot better than stock,

want to try +50s next, but only place round here that has em, $27 each..
only down side is shorter bulb life...

I wish I knew more about bulbs and availability!:confused:

I've got some Philips X-Treme Power H4's on order from the UK as reviews seemed pretty good. I hope I don't end up regretting it, but I'm desperate for better lighting.

Gubb
2nd April 2009, 17:33
Where is the best place to head to that stocks this kinda stuff?

Repco or Supercheap? Could be a goer on the Striple, although the headlights are already fantastic.

Owl
2nd April 2009, 17:49

Repco or Supercheap? Could be a goer on the Striple, although the headlights are already fantastic.

I'd like some info on that for the future.

I got a price from Repco for the Philips Blue Vision H4 bulbs at $35 each.:gob:

Then found this place in the UK that offers free worldwide delivery and they stock heaps of rated bulbs.

www.powerbulbs.com

I guess I'll find out in the next week if I've cocked up.:pinch:

Gubb
2nd April 2009, 17:53
Gash, I guess that's the down side of having two headlights that work all the time.

CookMySock
2nd April 2009, 19:59
"I'm alright - fuck you Jack!"?
Because it's what I think, or what I want, it's therefore right?No, you twist my words. I mean, YOU do what is right for YOU. If you want to change your headlight then fucking DO IT. Its none of MY business WHAT you do to your bike - I have no say in it. Consequently, the reverse applies.

Also, HIDs do have a high inrush current, and this might damage a switch somewhere. They then have a warmup period of about 6-10 seconds where they draw about the same as a 55W bulb, and then they drop back to about 3.5amps which is 35watts ish. I don't run a relay and I have no problems. I'll post if I do have any problem with them.

HIDs run COLDER than any of the incandescent lamps.

I have had one dip request over the last month (honored instantly) and once ever a cop raised his hands to cover his eyes.

Steve

Tank
2nd April 2009, 22:19
I have had one dip request over the last month (honored instantly) and once ever a cop raised his hands to cover his eyes.

Steve

So when you are behind another bike who you are blinding (both going the same direction) - how exactly do they give you a dip request?

cool_J
2nd April 2009, 22:38
wow wow got some good conversations here. Yeah, Steve is right, do what I wana do, I just ask about legal or illegal lolz but hell yeah, I'll do it for sure. I love the brightness of the HID. Can't wait to see my bike in full mods that I wana do for it lolz. Thanks guys

ckai
3rd April 2009, 06:36

I was gonna replace the bulbs in the Daytona with HID because they were so crap until I did a bit more research. There was a bloody good site that I found (which I can't remember) that showed the reason why HID conversions are illegal in so many countries. It certainly changed my mind.

HID's need a certain direction with their housing and standard housing makes them wash everywhere (especially up). Proper HID's stay just below car wing mirrors avoiding the eyes of drivers. They're quite cool actually. It takes the brain at least 7 seconds to 'see' again after being blinded.

I just upgraded the bulb with a Narva bulb (Bluevision I think). HEAPS better than stock, also adjusted the height which made it perfect. I got mine from Repco. Supercheap is kinda crap for that sort of thing I find. Appco is probably even better for lighting stuff.

BiK3RChiK
3rd April 2009, 07:15
I went into town last night for a bit of late night shopping, and I'm glad I've got HID's! Flashed a few people in cars who didn't seem to care that there was a bike coming their way. Gives them the 'I'm here' message real quick!

Tank
3rd April 2009, 12:31
I went into town last night for a bit of late night shopping, and I'm glad I've got HID's! Flashed a few people in cars who didn't seem to care that there was a bike coming their way. Gives them the 'I'm here' message real quick!

So you have them on your high beam - but ride on low beam?

I thought that they had a 'warm up time' and would not work well with flashing? (Pool of darkness or something like that DB mentioned)?

Edit: wouldnt flashing them with normal lights have worked as well?

Tank
3rd April 2009, 13:27
Its illegal to fit HID kits into normal headlight units...

I keep hearing people say that, but my bike keeps getting a WOF no worries. Repeating things more and more loudly does not a fact make.

nope - a fact makes a fact.

High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

Repeating things over and over again recommending them to people without saying that its illegal does not good advise make.

BiK3RChiK
3rd April 2009, 13:44
So you have them on your high beam - but ride on low beam?

I thought that they had a 'warm up time' and would not work well with flashing? (Pool of darkness or something like that DB mentioned)?

Edit: wouldnt flashing them with normal lights have worked as well?

I had only just dipped coming into town and this car seemed intent on pulling out of a side street to wipe me out, so I flashed them up at him. They do 'flash' when you turn onto high beam but then seem to go out and come up slow. It's kind of like a flash from a camera that gets their attention very quick! I always use my pass to warm them up before putting onto high, cause I don't like the sea of blackness that greets me when they are cold.

And, yes, flashing normal highbeam would probably work as well... but have you seen the Hyo lights when on?:doh:

Mine passed the WOF too.:niceone:

vifferman
3rd April 2009, 13:59
Here's the deal, as I see it.
Before you rush out and buy an HID kit, there are things you can do to make sure you're lighting is as good as possible.
Firstly, make sure your headlight lens is as clean as possible, and your headlight is properly adjusted. See if a relay is fitted - even a standard headlight will benefit from having a reasonable gauge of wires from the battery to a relay situated as near to the headlihgt as possible, with the same gauge wires going to the plug on the back of the bulb.
Make sure the bulb plug contacts are clean and have no corrosion on them.
Even if this proves to make no real difference to the lighting, at least you've prepared things for an upgrade.

Many bikes (especially Hondas) have fairly wussy bulbs fitted, and it's relatively cheap to fit higher wattage ones. However, if the bulbs are not standard H4s, you will need to get an adapter ring. Alternatively, you can cut the two lower tabs of the H4 bulb off, or bend them over a small piece of stiff wire or nail so they fit the slots in the factory bulb housing.

DON'T buy blue bulbs: they look brighter, but this is because the human eye finds light in the blue part of the spectrum glarey. The actual useful light for the same wattage is therefore less, especially in rainy or foggy conditions.

If the reflectors or lenses are crap, you will still have crap lighting, even if you fit 300W bulbs! In this case, you will have to go for aftermarket headlamps. I had a 90/130W bulb in my VF500, and it was very good (glass lense, glass or metal reflector). The exact same bulb in the VTR (polycarbonate lens) wasn't anywhere near as good. Plus corrosion on the plug partially melted the plug, due to the increased resistance creating heat. Oops...

The VFR has dual headlamps, and they're great. They're fitted with Honda/H4 adapter rings, and (I think) are 60/55 bulbs, which are quite adequate. Standard is 45/45W which is not. Relays are fitted as standard.
If I was doing a lot of riding at night, I'd fit some slightly higher wattage bulbs, say 80W or 90W, and maybe a pair of small driving lights to fill in if I needed it. There's too much crap (dual Fiamms, speedo corrector, gargre door opener, extra relays) under the fairing already to fit an HID unit.

CookMySock
3rd April 2009, 14:34
It's kind of like a flash from a camera that gets their attention very quick!HID's look like just like a near lightning strike when they first switch on cold. Any signage in front of you, trees next to you, car number plates, etc etc all give a substantial hard blink when when you give the tiniest flick on the pass switch. Even with your back to the vehicle that strobed the area, it is still "WTF was that? - people turn around.."

They are funny as fuck to play with. Even without the added safety aspect (you look like a freight train with an insane magnesium flare on the front), they are just so out-there in daily use. You can always make someone look around them wondering where the lightning is. :lol:

There is also a smaller Inverter unit that is about half the height of a pack of cards. It's much easier to mount this.

Steve

bsasuper
3rd April 2009, 15:26
You wont get the full benefit of hid's putting them in non hid reflectors, and if you cause a accident at night because of your super bright hid's illegilly fitted, it lights out for you.

Gremlin
3rd April 2009, 16:26
DON'T buy blue bulbs: they look brighter, but this is because the human eye finds light in the blue part of the spectrum glarey. The actual useful light for the same wattage is therefore less, especially in rainy or foggy conditions.
Good point Viff, I was thinking I should make that point.

I go to Autostop for my +50% bulbs...

CookMySock
3rd April 2009, 16:28
You wont get the full benefit of hid's putting them in non hid reflectors, and if you cause a accident at night because of your super bright hid's illegilly fitted, it lights out for you.Ya rolls ya dice and ya pays ya money!

Steve

LBD
3rd April 2009, 18:03
It does depend how good the stock reflector housing is, with a normal bulb. My preference is just to swap the bulb, and replace it with a Philips/Hella +50% bulb. I've normally had fantastic results.

Hella make a =90% now, I have that in my bike an no complaints at all, I have an HID I was going to fit before that but then learnt of ?legalities...still have it

I have seen the HID conversions on T/me, some come with the low beam dip/
done mechanically,so no delay/loss of light...

This is the best HID low/hi set up, only one filiment that only needs to warm up once

I've got some Philips X-Treme Power H4's on order from the UK as reviews seemed pretty good. I hope I don't end up regretting it, but I'm desperate for better lighting. These will be the +90% now available in NZ get the thumbs up from me.

See earlier comment about single filiment HID globes

Last thing, the globes come different Hz,s from 4100 to 6300 and up....8000 and 12000...something like that. Opt for the lowest 4100 or 6300...they are closest to natural light, the higher numbers are blue and harsh, are are diminishing in value but increasing in pose power....

CookMySock
3rd April 2009, 18:29
This [mechanically dipped H4] is the best HID low/hi set up, only one filiment that only needs to warm up onceYou are right, but then you don't get to play with them, and thats half the fun. Also, the flasher is much slower.

Last thing, the globes come different Hz,s from 4100 to 6300 and up....8000 and 12000...something like that. Opt for the lowest 4100 or 6300...they are closest to natural light, the higher numbers are blue and harsh, are are diminishing in value but increasing in pose power....Yes. 4,000k is honey gold, 6,000k is more like burning magnesium, 8,000k is deep blue. I prefer 6,000k but 8,000k would be fun to play with. Search youtube for "HID color temperature".

Steve

Gremlin
3rd April 2009, 20:29
Hella make a =90% now, I have that in my bike an no complaints at all, I have an HID I was going to fit before that but then learnt of ?legalities...still have it
Why o why did you have to say that... right... I'm off to order one from Autostop on Monday...

Part code is XD1260/55UP if anyone is interested :lol:

Tank
3rd April 2009, 21:18
Someone ask what happens if you cause an accident because of the illegal bright lights:

You wont get the full benefit of hid's putting them in non hid reflectors, and if you cause a accident at night because of your super bright hid's illegilly fitted, it lights out for you.

DB says you pay ya money

Ya rolls ya dice and ya pays ya money!

Steve

He normally says if you cause an accident - run and hide:

Right, any damage to anyone else ? Any liability ? If so, deny everything and refuse to discuss the accident with anyone. Disappear into the long grass, and say nothing. Fix your own bike with your own money, and let your sore knee mend itself etc. If anyone wants to knock on your door and talk about the incident, tell them they are at the wrong place. If the feds turn up, tell them u dunno jack about that, and shut the door and go back to what you were doing. Letter from some insurance company demanding payment? bew hew hew, chuck it in the bin. Life goes on. Dont FFS admit the whole thing to the feds in the hope things will be better.. :rolleyes:

DB

Basically - thats why you need to have insurance - there are uninsured people (like DB) out there who believe that despite being in the wrong - they would leave you high and dry.

Owl
3rd April 2009, 21:27
Basically - thats why you need to have insurance - there are uninsured people (like DB) out there who believe that despite being in the wrong - they would leave you high and dry.

That would be fookin funny if it wasn't seriously disturbing!:oi-grr:

ynot slow
3rd April 2009, 21:55
www.powerbulbs.com
I guess I'll find out in the next week if I've cocked up.:pinch:

Thanks for info Al,have just ordered phillips extreme H7,based on GB25.00POUND so works out reasonably priced at maybe $70NZ.Haven't been able to find them here,and the 2 main outlets(not auto sparkies)when I ask them about give me blank looks,can get +80 for the car H4,but H1,H7 perplexes them.:angry2:Thanks again for the link,after tonight need something a little bit better than stock.:scooter:

Owl
3rd April 2009, 22:07
Thanks for info Al,have just ordered phillips extreme H7,based on GB25.00POUND so works out reasonably priced at maybe $70NZ.Haven't been able to find them here,and the 2 main outlets(not auto sparkies)when I ask them about give me blank looks,can get +80 for the car H4,but H1,H7 perplexes them.:angry2:Thanks again for the link,after tonight need something a little bit better than stock.:scooter:

Awesome Tony!:2thumbsup Shit lights are the reason I haven't been on the last two FNR's.
£24.99 comes in at around $63 which doesn’t sound too bad. Did you get a free gift with them?

nallac
4th April 2009, 06:47
[QUOTE=LBD;2011797]

These will be the +90% now available in NZ get the thumbs up from me.

QUOTE]

I have heard of fried wiring with the +80%...

slydesigns
4th April 2009, 08:35
ok.. a few myths and legends here...

HIDs are good IF you only fit the 4700K range bulbs.
This gives a normal bulb slight yellow natural light. And the others are shit. The Higher K {hotter light colour} bulbs give a brighter light with a shorter range. Its harder to actually see objects and they dazzle everyone no matter where they are pointed.

All the bikes on the Manawatu ride last night had to pull over and wave me through for this reason. I didn't check my order properly and got 8000K bulbs. Oh sure... its a nice gay boyracer blue white light, but its shit. So I'm switching to the same as the only Euro legal bulbs, the 4700zk ones.

Running dual beam HID's, the practice overseas is to reaim the highbeam into a low beam. You'll have enough light, trust me. Reason for this is switching on and off repeatedly will significantly reduce the lifespan off an HID bulb. But leaving the High as a standard incandecent bulb will just make it get washed out by the brighter lowbeam.

HID's generate VERY little heat. HID ballasts on the otherhand, do make heat.

HID's use and enormous amount of energy to ignite so starting with them on can cause issues like either the bike not starting or the bulbs not igniting. A switch or HID Delay Kit {$20 off eBay or make your own} is a good investment. Once running current draw drops down to 0.25 of an amp so they are extremely efficient ONCE warm.

If you want to compare them to standard bulbs, check out any latemodel euro car or the Subaru Legacy of the last few years. You'll spot the HID's from the highpitch noise as the lights warm up.They run HID lows with conventional Highs.

In short, HID's are good but only if we follow the Euro car manufactures conventions and fit low K bulbs and not the ultra white High K ones. They are not going to burn out the housings, they are plug and play, they are however, currently by WOF standards illegal as aftermarket items.

I've attached a chart off the Triumph675 site where we all run HID's and have debated the best for some time now. The chart shows the different K bulbs and the effect on beam strength. In this case my choice would be the 5000K bulbs.

Second pic is how washed out the 8000K bulbs are at range.

BMWST?
4th April 2009, 10:08
the proper euro car fitment actually has an auto levelling device on the low beams to ensure that the HIDs DO NOT affect other drivers.This is by law in europe.The problem is real.Any repco should have uprated h1 h4 and h7 bulbs.Do not confuse HID with 'Blue" xenon bulbs.Xenon is often used as a reference to HID .Not sure if any road bikes come standard with hid low beams? You will often find that hid lamps etc have a disclaimer they are NOT road legal

LBD
4th April 2009, 12:34
...[/QUOTE] I have heard of fried wiring with the +80%...[/QUOTE]

Watts = Volts x Amps....(55 watt h4) and a (55watt h4+90%) both draw the same....4.23 amps at 13V

Nope no fried wires there....

CookMySock
5th April 2009, 18:07
HIDs are good IF you only fit the 4700K range bulbs.
This gives a normal bulb slight yellow natural light. And the others are shit.I think thats a little harsh. The 6,000k bulbs are a very clean white - certainly not the yellow like the 4,700k. I haven't used the 8,000K or the 4,700K bulbs, but it sounds like you haven't used the 6,000K bulbs either. I agree the 8,000K and above do not provide a good light.

HID's use and enormous amount of energy to ignite so starting with them on can cause issues like either the bike not starting or the bulbs not igniting. A switch or HID Delay Kit {$20 off eBay or make your own} is a good investment. Once running current draw drops down to 0.25 of an amp so they are extremely efficient ONCE warm.I think you are overstating this also. There is quite a large inrush current with my HID inverters. I have a digital clamp meter, but its not fast enough to measure this inrush. I run mine (two different bikes) with no relays - I will report if theres a problem. Theres no way they only draw 0.25 amp when warm - its more like 3 or 3.5 amps.

If anyone is concerned about glare, then just dip them. If they are still blinding people then adjust them downwards. If they are still blinding people, then you have a problem elsewhere.

Steve

Katman
5th April 2009, 18:13
If they are still blinding people, then you have a problem elsewhere.

Steve

The problem lies with cocks who think their own safety ranks higher than that of any other road user.

Mom
5th April 2009, 18:18
The problem lies with cocks who think their own safety ranks higher than that of any other road user.

Interesting comment mate, I was actually surprised to see this member advocating dipping headlights actually.

Gremlin
8th April 2009, 01:12
Damn you LBD... I have tootled off and got my +90% bulbs... <_<

Picked them up today, and in a cruel twist of fate, my tyres turned up, so now the bike is sitting at the shop and they will fit the tyres whenever they are free. :weep:

Looks like the bulb will be in by the weekend, and then I can test it out. :Punk:

ynot slow
9th April 2009, 13:47
My bulbs turned up today not bad,ordered last Friday and here from England this morning.

Hispid
17th May 2009, 19:14
Has anyone tried LED cluster bulbs?

CookMySock
17th May 2009, 19:39
Has anyone tried LED cluster bulbs?For headlights? I haven't.

I have tried LED cluster for tail/brake combination lights, and I was not impressed with the particular bulb I tried. It is very bright from the rear, and not so much from the side.

This type is very bright directly from the rear. I have two of these to sell - offers?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Bulbs/auction-218501007.htm

This one is bright from a wider angle.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Bulbs/auction-218493957.htm

Steve