PDA

View Full Version : how does this sound

Ivan
8th March 2005, 11:16
I was wondering when the 2 stroke ends if 125gp and 250gp will be replaced with 125cc four strokes and 250 fours and if anyone knows if this has been ccomplished yet :banana:

Sniper
8th March 2005, 12:42
Not yet I dont think. Then again, I dont think

Oscar
8th March 2005, 12:58
My understanding is that IRTA are having a hard look at the
Aprillia 450 V-Twin engine (which has been shown in a Moto-X chassis) as the basis of a class that will replace 250GP.

gav
8th March 2005, 22:45
Or possibly 600's I heard! :niceone:

inlinefour
9th March 2005, 01:20
Not yet I dont think. Then again, I dont think

The misses is allways complaining about that. Maybe its a bloke thing? :whocares:

White trash
9th March 2005, 07:30
I think Gavs correct. (Again!)

Talk was of a GP2 class, using 600cc production based engines with unlimited chasis development.

Oscar
9th March 2005, 07:41
Apparently the only reason that the 250GP class lasted so long was IRTA allowing Aprillia to use it to fund their MotoGP development (I have a mate that works for IRTA - I'll e-mail him).

F5 Dave
9th March 2005, 09:01
It’s all dumb, the 2-strokes were real race bikes, not just hotted up production bikes. If they are going to build GP bikes then why the heck not keep with race engines.

Bloody tree hugging nancys & their precious fourstrokes. GAAA!

svs
9th March 2005, 09:59
The 250 and 125 classes fund the MotoGP for more than just aprilia. Even honda get a huge amount from privateer racing in the smaller classes, and the development of those bikes helps the development of everything else.

The GP125 and 250 are 'proper' race bikes. I hope they don't replace them with production based bikes. There's something a bit special about a bike that has been built purely for racing without all the compromises made for the street.

Still, I hope to race a 250gp bike before they die or are banned. Rode a TZ250 yamaha (not the TZR!!) round Donington and it was the best thing I've ever ridden. Kind of hard to keep it in the powerband, but when you are riding round race kitted fireblades on a screaming 2-stroke - that's all good.

onearmedbandit
9th March 2005, 10:08
I don't think you'll find MotoGP bikes are built with any compromises made for the street, so how could the same apply to a 600cc MotoGP class?

And yeah I too have read that the 600 class may replace 125's and 250's.

Oscar
9th March 2005, 10:10
The 250 and 125 classes fund the MotoGP for more than just aprilia. Even honda get a huge amount from privateer racing in the smaller classes, and the development of those bikes helps the development of everything else.

The GP125 and 250 are 'proper' race bikes. I hope they don't replace them with production based bikes. There's something a bit special about a bike that has been built purely for racing without all the compromises made for the street.

Still, I hope to race a 250gp bike before they die or are banned. Rode a TZ250 yamaha (not the TZR!!) round Donington and it was the best thing I've ever ridden. Kind of hard to keep it in the powerband, but when you are riding round race kitted fireblades on a screaming 2-stroke - that's all good.

Aprillia were selling privateer 250's to fund their MotoGP effort, so IRTA were not keen to cahnge the formula if it meant losing bikes on the MotoGP grid.

My source in IRTA says that they are looking at the Aprillia 450 V-Twin as a possible engine prototype for a replacement formula. I still doubt they will opt for a production based class, for two reasons - 1) They are so strict with the premier class bieng prototypes, and 2) they'd buy (another) fight with Flammini, the SUperbike promoter.

TonyB
9th March 2005, 10:47
Or possibly 600's I heard! :niceone:

I think Gavs correct. (Again!)
Gav's a bike nerd, Gav's a bike nerd!! :shake:

F5 Dave
9th March 2005, 11:15
I don't think you'll find MotoGP bikes are built with any compromises made for the street, so how could the same apply to a 600cc MotoGP class?

And yeah I too have read that the 600 class may replace 125's and 250's.

Yes they are full house machines in moto GP, but the supporting class are unlikely to get the same level of dollars so will be a poor cousin. Uprated supersport machines will be the result.

TwoSeven
9th March 2005, 12:58
I've heard the 600cc gossip as well, but from out of japan. I think its only gossip at this point in time. I heard that 250 might go, but 125 would stay - but run different machines with the age restrictions.

The way I heard it, they want motoGP to be the prototype version of SBK, so the bike companies can take the prototype and turn it into production. It means they can merge the two different factory parts to reduce costs.

Ivan
11th March 2005, 12:06
The whole idea of Moto GP is racing not some sports production bike. 4 stroke 125 GP now that wouldnt have the same smoke or scream as a 2 stroke but you have torque. Yes the motors will be heavier but who cares. The idea could go on for 250GP. I see it starting in 125gp moto x.

gav
11th March 2005, 18:26
I think 250 four strokes were mentioned for GP3!
So what would be wrong with a 120kg 180hp 4 stroke 600cc racer?

Ivan
14th March 2005, 18:56
everything

gav
14th March 2005, 20:05
See my Daytona thread, the premier event at Daytona is now FX600's (Formula Extreme). The Superbikes are now relegated to a 15 lap support race :confused: