PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate some advice

John.H
8th March 2005, 12:17
Hello all,

I am about to take my theory, do my basic handling skills and all that palava. I know very little about bikes. I have about $1500 to spend.

What can I get for my money? Where can I get it from? How do I know what I am buying is decent (no motorbiking mates i'm afraid)?

Thanks a lot everyone
John

ktulu
8th March 2005, 12:23
GN 250, FXR 150

These two bikes would be pretty good for you man, although this is just my opinion and everyone here has different opinions but my reasons for saying that are that they are not that powerful but are very easy to ride, GN is more of a cruisey sort of laid back style and the fxr is more sports bike.

Hopefully this and everyone elses advice is helpful, good luck

check tradme for these

MSTRS
8th March 2005, 12:25
Hello all,

I am about to take my theory, do my basic handling skills and all that palava. I know very little about bikes. I have about $1500 to spend.

What can I get for my money? Where can I get it from? How do I know what I am buying is decent (no motorbiking mates i'm afraid)?

Thanks a lot everyone
John
Decide what type of riding you want to do, find someone trustworthy in Welly to assist in person, otherwise you & your money will play the fool's game

bear
8th March 2005, 12:30
Trade and Exchange could be a good start looking at what sort of bikes are in your price range. Then you could search Kiwibiker for pros/cons of various makes/models.

I hope the $1500 doesn't include money for buying gear as well. TSS in Alicetown (Lower Hutt) have some good priced gear, and good advice as well, and could possibly sort out a mechnical check for you when you've found a bike (not sure of cost).

If you haven't got extra money for gear, then I'd hold off for a bit and some more dosh together - chance of taking a fall could potentially be quite high as you're just starting out.

John.H
8th March 2005, 14:23
Thanks for those replies, they have helped. $1500 doesn't include gear. I figured with the money I am looking to pay I wouldn't find anything at a dealer, unless anyone knows of any cheap bike places in Wellington?

Anyone know how much a quick mechanical check sets you back?

Cheers

Sparky Bills
8th March 2005, 14:42
Any of the shops in Welly (or the Hutt!), can check out bikes before you buy it. Just tell them what you want done and usually it would be about $60 (hour labour), That will give you a good idea of what needs to be done, yeah or Neah to buy etc.

Any questions..
Give me a pm, and we will get ya sorted.
Happy buying dude!

Martin

P.S. Welcome to the site!

John.H
8th March 2005, 15:30
Thanks v.much for the info. Will definately look you up if I have any problems.

Candyman
19th March 2005, 16:36
I can definitely recommend TSS in lower hutt as well, Stu and Richard are very easy going and are full of information, Stu also organizes rides on a Sunday about once a month for those with 250's or under