PDA

View Full Version : Safety Barrier Safety!

R6_kid
2nd April 2009, 18:50
As part of a paper I am doing at University we are required to present an 8min presentation on a topic of our choice. I have chosen to go with the topic of Road Safety Barrier Safety, with the question of "How can we make road safety barriers in NZ safer"

This is an abstract on what I have come up with so far, please feel free to rip to pieces (nicely), and point me in the direction of any information (with statistical backing) that will help me present my case.

INTRODUCTION
Road safety barriers are designed to decrease the danger associated with certain road environments and hazards. But what do you do when hitting a safety barrier is more dangerous than the hazard it protects you from? Road barrier design plays an integral part in the safety of all road users, motorcyclists in particular.

OBJECTIVE
By investigating published literature from universities and road safety organizations from around the world this work analyses the ways in which road safety barrier design can help to minimize the injuries caused to motorcyclists in rider vs. safety barrier collisions.

RESULTS
Good safety barrier design requires that the barrier system is efficient at absorbing kinetic energy, deflecting kinetic energy, or a combination of the two. Barriers with exposed supports, sharp edges, or that contain parts with a small frontal cross section tend to catch and/or trap limbs when a body collides with them resulting in an increased risk of injury to motorcyclists. The three main road safety barrier systems currently in use in New Zealand are Wire Rope Safety Barriers (WRSB), Concrete wall and Armco. By design WRSB and Armco barriers show an increased risk of injury to motorcyclist even at relatively slow speeds. The redesigning of these barrier systems to allow for better kinetic energy absorption and energy deflection leads to increased safety for motorcyclists while maintaining the existing integrity of the system with regards to other road users. Systems and designs such as shielded Armco, mototub, motorail and plastrail - all currently in place in Europe have proven effective in decreasing the dangers presented to motorcyclists in rider vs. safety barrier collision.

CONCLUSION
The implementation of safety barrier adaptations already in place in Europe, and proper consideration of barrier type placement will lead to a safer road environment for motorcyclists while maintaining safety barrier integrity with respect to other road users.

:2guns::2guns::2guns:
Fire away.